PDA

View Full Version : English Premiership killing scottish football

King conrad
31-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Todays decision by stubbs has got me thinking about our game, there is so much ridiculous money flying about the English premiership
it kills ours.
Mega amounts getting passed around the clubs then filtering down to the championship/league one then anyone with a little bit of success gets snapped up.
I'm not just talking about managers but players also, how many players have done a runner with the slightest interest? cant blame them though with the money they can get but its getting a tad boring, take away the tv money and the self proclaimed {best league in the world} would be on its knees.

2014 Europa league winners Seville 2014 champions league winners Real Madrid
2015 Europa league winners Seville 2015 champions league winners Barcelona
2016 Europa league winners Seville 2016 champions league winners Real Madrid......... best league my arse.

Scottie
31-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Sky Sports and BT subscription cancelled today.

Will be spending the money saved on overnight Megabuses from the smoke to see the Cabbage as much as i can next season. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
31-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Todays decision by stubbs has got me thinking about our game, there is so much ridiculous money flying about the English premiership
it kills ours.
Mega amounts getting passed around the clubs then filtering down to the championship/league one then anyone with a little bit of success gets snapped up.
I'm not just talking about managers but players also, how many players have done a runner with the slightest interest? cant blame them though with the money they can get but its getting a tad boring, take away the tv money and the self proclaimed {best league in the world} would be on its knees.

2016 Europa league winners Seville 2016 champions league winners Real Madrid......... best league my arse.

Not sure what point you are trying to make by listing those winners,are you suggesting that it is a reflection on the EPL as the best league in the world? If so you are wrong ask the players what is the best league in the World they won't say La Liga!

3pm
31-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Not sure what point you are trying to make by listing those winners,are you suggesting that it is a reflection on the EPL as the best league in the world? If so you are wrong ask the players what is the best league in the World they won't say La Liga!

I suppose it depends on your definition of best!

Best in terms of how competitive it is. More meaningful games.

Any of the EPL will struggle technically against Barca and Real though.

Joe's ice cream
31-05-2016, 08:48 PM
It's along way from being the most technical league in the world but is undoubtably one if not the most exciting league

Tyler Durden
31-05-2016, 08:53 PM

Well the best players in the world mainly play in La Liga. Which players are you asking?

Re the OP, these anti Sky whines are getting a bit tiresome.

Glory Lurker
31-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Will be interesting to see how England get on in France this summer. In recent years, it's been looking like the English Premiership has been killing English football. This squad is threatening to buck that trend, so perhaps the English game is getting its act back together in bringing through talent. Not before time, if so. It's been shameful how poor the talent pool has been over the last ten years or so, given how much money is in the game.

Smartie
31-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Scottish football is killing Scottish football.

We need people with a passion for our game leading it from the top instead of our current set of morons.

I've seen some brilliant football this season, quality stuff at times, very entertaining games and events and that's just in the second tier.

The Scottish Cup final was a perfect example - a magnificent match, both sets of players were a credit to their clubs and played out a really good game. A wee bit of over-exuberance at the end and what is the dominant story over the next few weeks? Crowd trouble and rioting which I'm sure will be proven in due course to have been hugely hyped. Regan appearing on TV to appease the hun hordes. Ridiculous and disgraceful at a time when he should have been bigging up the positives of the occasion.

That darts fellae had the right idea.

Sitting back and pissing and moaning that we don't have the money the English league has is going to get us nowhere - it's got us nowhere up until now.

Sky give the English league a lot of money and nobody wants to give us anything like as much - that's not going to change, deal with it.

Manager who has failed to get promoted in successive seasons gets a new job. That's the storyline here and it's no reason get all inward looking.

We've got a league to win.

shreevesy
31-05-2016, 08:57 PM
The best marketed league in the world yes but nowhere near the best league.
Have taken in many games over the last few years (Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea, Sunderland, Arsenal, Bolton, Spurs) the product is really quite poor yet like most well marketed things it looks great, the camera angles and the commentary make it look way way better than what it is. And the myth that it is the best league is repeated so often that it becomes believable. The reality is something very different.

Tyler Durden
31-05-2016, 08:58 PM

We need people with a passion for our game leading it from the top instead of our current set of morons.

I've seen some brilliant football this season, quality stuff at times, very entertaining games and events and that's just in the second tier.

The Scottish Cup final was a perfect example - a magnificent match, both sets of players were a credit to their clubs and played out a really good game. A wee bit of over-exuberance at the end and what is the dominant story over the next few weeks? Crowd trouble and rioting which I'm sure will be proven in due course to have been hugely hyped. Regan appearing on TV to appease the hun hordes. Ridiculous and disgraceful at a time when he should have been bigging up the positives of the occasion.

Sitting back and pissing and moaning that we don't have the money the English league has is going to get us nowhere - it's got us nowhere up until now.

Sky give the English league a lot of money and nobody wants to give us anything like as much - that's not going to change, deal with it.

Manager who has failed to get promoted in successive seasons gets a new job. That's the storyline here and it's no reason get all inward looking.

:top marks

Scouse Hibee
31-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Well the best players in the world mainly play in La Liga. Which players are you asking?

Re the OP, these anti Sky whines are getting a bit tiresome.

EPL is the best league in the World, Ronaldo and Bale find La Liga far too easy as does Messi just look at the amount of goals they score in a weak league.

Jdawg
31-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Have taken in many games over the last few years (Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea, Sunderland, Arsenal, Bolton, Spurs) the product is really quite poor yet like most well marketed things it looks great, the camera angles and the commentary make it look way way better than what it is. And the myth that it is the best league is repeated so often that it becomes believable. The reality is something very different.

Correct. I've watched umpteen games, especially man Utd and it's been boring and dire.

Sky, in English football, have a clear remit. Big up EVERY GAME, no matter how crap. 0-0, it's been a battle, nip and tuck, or in fact just pure pish.

Marco G
31-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Nothing kills football except negative thinking. If there is so much money in EPL it ain't helping the championship clubs who are mostly up to their ears in debt trying to reach their holy EPL grail! We do ourselves down in Scotland.we have great attendances for the size of country and I would rather watch an exciting game here than a lot of the sterile boring televised EPL matches I have seen. Most of the cash is going to cherry picking top players from abroad, some are worth watching, many not. Why do we not just enjoy what we have here?

Finn2015
31-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Nothing kills football except negative thinking. If there is so much money in EPL it ain't helping the championship clubs who are mostly up to their ears in debt trying to reach their holy EPL grail! We do ourselves down in Scotland.we have great attendances for the size of country and I would rather watch an exciting game here than a lot of the sterile boring televised EPL matches I have seen. Most of the cash is going to cherry picking top players from abroad, some are worth watching, many not. Why do we not just enjoy what we have here?

Agree and nothing sums that up better than the respective cup finals. Our cup final was far better to watch than the one down south

Haymaker
31-05-2016, 09:03 PM
EPL is the best league in the World, Ronaldo and Bale find La Liga far too easy as does Messi just look at the amount of goals they score in a weak league.

Why do the best players in the world play there then? To get to that level you would assume that they would test themselves in the toughest/best league?

Not aimed at you personally SH but it is something I find strange.

Bostonhibby
31-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Absolutely right and you could say Scottish football fans who have SKY are subsidising the ever increasing gap in how much SKY give to the respective leagues. SKY seem to collect the money in Scotland and spend a disproportionate amount of it on the English league.

GreenCastle
31-05-2016, 09:14 PM

Spanish league is best - EPL is poor - especially the past season. Bigger clubs struggling and Leceister winning the league.

Ronaldo and Bale (last 2 especially) tore up English football and Messi is the best player to have ever lived and will never leave as he's a god at Barca - but would easily destroy teams in England.

Joe's ice cream
31-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Spanish league is best - EPL is poor - especially the past season. Bigger clubs struggling and Leceister winning the league.

Ronaldo and Bale (last 2 especially) tore up English football and Messi is the best player to have ever lived and will never leave as he's a god at Barca - but would easily destroy teams in England.

I actually find the fact Leceister won the league a pretty good reason why the EPL is such a good league to watch

King conrad
31-05-2016, 09:22 PM

scouse hibs yes it is,best to me is winning European trophies which the Spanish clubs do on a regular basis.

Joe's ice cream
31-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Thing is on this forum we have two threads running about English leagues- one say that they are over hyped and killing football - and another suggesting Hibs and other Scottish clubs join the English league!!! - go figure

jacomo
31-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Sky Sports and BT subscription cancelled today.

Will be spending the money saved on overnight Megabuses from the smoke to see the Cabbage as much as i can next season. :aok:

:top marks

You put the rest of us to shame.

jacomo
31-05-2016, 09:29 PM

Players love the EPL because it can make them absurdly rich.

But the money is also a fact of life. As a club, we've got to try and benefit more from that.

EDIT: Spanish football is clearly superior, as results have shown.

northstandhibby
31-05-2016, 09:38 PM

Just interested Scouse Hibee.

What your's position on the talk of Scottish teams joining English Leagues?

Glory Glory

Hibbyradge
31-05-2016, 09:45 PM
it kills ours.

I guess ithe depends on the criteria you use to judge it.

However, that's a debate for another thread altogether.

DCI Gene Hunt
31-05-2016, 09:48 PM
English football isn't killing Scottish football, sadly money talks and that's the way it is.

What kills the game here is two Glasgow clubs holding the duopoly on the park and off it. That's where all the money and hence the success goes. Who's going to be champions this year? Thellick? The Orcs? Maybe Thellick? The Orcs again? Yawn. How predictable. They have the power over the SFA and the media and unless that is broken nothing will change. It's not like that in England.

Gene

jgl07
31-05-2016, 09:50 PM
The top Spanish clubs - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid - are very good indeed and have high technical standards. Beyond those three the quality is mixed. The likes of Valencia, Villareal, Malaga, etc. are no great shakes.

OK Sevilla have won the Europa League three times but they were outclassed by Manchester City in the Group stages of the Champions League. They beat a mid-table Liverpool in the Europa League final.

The matches are often very one-sided. It isn't very competitive at all beyond the top three. The attendances are poor with only the top seven clubs average more than 25,000. Clubs are to be fined next season if they do not fill the seats visible on TV.

That hardly sounds like the best League in the world.

The problem is that the TV rights give most of the money to Real Madrid and Barcelona. The English Premier League distributes cash much more evenly and is a more competitive league as a result.

Speedy
31-05-2016, 09:51 PM

Ronaldo's Champions League goalscoring record isn't much different to his La Liga record so it's not just that the league is easy.

chrisski33
31-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Yeah lets blame english football for the sad state of our game!

Hibbyradge
31-05-2016, 09:55 PM

Have you seen a lot of games in other leagues?

northstandhibby
31-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Yeah lets blame english football for the sad state of our game!

The saddest thing in our game is the return of the sectarian plague Sevco Huns. A cancerous return that the SFA will do SFA about. Very sad indeed.

Glory Glory

thommo1875
31-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Neil Doncaster and Co are killing Scottish football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
31-05-2016, 10:02 PM
15 years ago there was a lot of money in the Scottish game and if we had competent people in charge that would still be the case. Furthermore, a lot of Scottish clubs now seem to be very well managed (probably as a result of the lack of TV money). If the people leading the SPFL did their bit then we'd be all set. However, for some unfathomable reason, there seems to be a reluctance to make any kind of positive change for the good of Scottish football.

Hibbyradge
31-05-2016, 10:03 PM
The top Spanish clubs - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid - are very good indeed and have high technical standards. Beyond those three the quality is mixed. The likes of Valencia, Villareal, Malaga, etc. are no great shakes.

OK Sevilla have won the Europa League three times but they were outclassed by Manchester City in the Group stages of the Champions League. They beat a mid-table Liverpool in the Europa League final.

The matches are often very one-sided. It isn't very competitive at all beyond the top three. The attendances are poor with only the top seven clubs average more than 25,000. Clubs are to be fined next season if they do not fill the seats visible on TV.

That hardly sounds like the best League in the world.

The problem is that the TV rights give most of the money to Real Madrid and Barcelona. The English Premier League distributes cash much more evenly and is a more competitive league as a result.

Balance. Good post.

shreevesy
01-06-2016, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;4715006]Have you seen a lot of games in other leagues?[/QUOTE
Enough to form my opinion that the EPL isn't the best.

JimBHibees
01-06-2016, 06:57 AM

All the best players in the world play in La liga so think you are wrong.

lyonhibs
01-06-2016, 07:17 AM

In a nutshell :agree: :agree:

KeithTheHibby
01-06-2016, 07:23 AM
It's along way from being the most technical league in the world but is undoubtably one if not the most exciting league

What's exciting about it exactly?

Jones28
01-06-2016, 07:36 AM

This

CB_NO3
01-06-2016, 08:01 AM
English football is killing world football. The Barcelona boss says in 5 years, the premiership will be the NBA of football and all players will want to be there. The old firm dont even have the pulling power of Burnley these days.

easty
01-06-2016, 08:06 AM
The old firm dont even have the pulling power of Burnley these days.

That's no quite true though, Barton just turned down a contract with Burnley to sign for Rangers.

CB_NO3
01-06-2016, 08:11 AM
That's no quite true though, Barton just turned down a contract with Burnley to sign for Rangers.
Yes Burnley offered him a 3rd of what their top earners are on. They are hardly going to break the bank for a guy thats pretty much finished at Premiership level.

Geo_1875
01-06-2016, 08:11 AM

That's not a great argument. If English clubs had big enough stadiums they'd easily match our % turnout. That wouldn't matter though as gate-money isn't a great concern when SKY/BT/BBC fund the spending sprees for EPL and Championship clubs. That's why we regularly have arguments on here about ticket prices.

worcesterhibby
01-06-2016, 08:16 AM

Great Post

Scouse Hibee
01-06-2016, 08:48 AM

No they don't all play in La Liga at all.

Northernhibee
01-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Best post on here in months.

DH1875
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
No they don't all play in La Liga at all.

Exactly, some of them play in Germany :agree:

Ryan69
01-06-2016, 10:02 AM

Whenever the big teams play eachother....it's often 0-0 borefests.

Definately NOT the most exciting to watch!

Geo_1875
01-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Whenever the big teams play eachother....it's often 0-0 borefests.

Definately NOT the most exciting to watch!

Last season was one of the more exciting and only because the "big teams" were pish.

MWHIBBIES
01-06-2016, 11:02 AM
That is rubbish. Have a quick look at Bayern/Juventus' squad...

JimBHibees
01-06-2016, 11:03 AM
That is rubbish. Have a quick look at Bayern/Juventus' squad...

So Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and Neymar arent the best players in the world. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
So Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and Neymar arent the best players in the world. :rolleyes:Yeah, so are Muller, Lewandowski, Neuer, Lahm, Robben, Alaba, Pogba, Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci etc.

Haymaker
01-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Yeah, so are Muller, Lewandowski, Neuer, Lahm, Robben, Alaba, Pogba, Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci etc.

And none of them are in England either.

Onion
01-06-2016, 12:54 PM

This. Summed up by the outstanding SFA entertainment at HT at the Cup Final, the national showpiece. No band or headline singer for us ... a fat Hun and a girl, neither of whom could kick a ball, taking pot shots against the mascots. You couldn't make it up.

MWHIBBIES
01-06-2016, 12:58 PM
And none of them are in England either.Ozil, Sanchez, De Gea, Hazard, Aguero, De Bruyne, Kan/te, Mahrez and Kane are, though. Plenty of world class players in all the top leagues, dunno why people waste their time cock measuring instead of enjoying football.

lyonhibs
01-06-2016, 01:08 PM
This. Summed up by the outstanding SFA entertainment at HT at the Cup Final, the national showpiece. No band or headline singer for us ... a fat Hun and a girl, neither of whom could kick a ball, taking pot shots against the mascots. You couldn't make it up.

Half time entertainment with fireworks, Beyoncé and all that pish is an American abomination.

Haymaker
01-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Ozil, Sanchez, De Gea, Hazard, Aguero, De Bruyne, Kan/te, Mahrez and Kane are, though. Plenty of world class players in all the top leagues, dunno why people waste their time cock measuring instead of enjoying football.

Plenty of top players in all leagues sure. Not cock measuring at all however in my opinion, the best players generally do not play in England and if they do they don't stay long.

DCI Gene Hunt
01-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Half time entertainment with fireworks, Beyoncé and all that pish is an American abomination.

Agreed :agree:

Pie and a bovril and a blether with folk around you is much better.

Although maybe Craig and Charlie doing two or three songs at HT would be good :greengrin

Dr What If?
01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Scottish football is generally poor, the fact we are in it's second tier is embarrassing. I can't argue that the financial gap between ourselves and our southern neighbours doesn't help - for most players the choice of moving to England is a no brainer, more money, better facilities, bigger crowds, more variety....and that is just league one - get into the Championship and you can add glamour, get to the premiership and you are playing with some of the biggest names in the game and get your face broadcast around the world.
Blaming this as the sole reason for the state of our game is a bit of an excuse though. The reason the money isn't flowing into Scottish football is not because of England, it is because nobody wants to pay any more. Most games are low on quality, poorly attended and lack any kind of excitement or atmosphere - the more interesting top flight games tend to be in the bottom 6, between sides scared of loosing and small crowds nervous that their failing teams will make another mistake.
This said, Scotland has done little to improve the product. Fans have called for a larger top flight - no, this will apparently means less money (?). Fans have asked for the reserve league to be reintroduced, no, that costs too much money. The answer to our problems, we are told, is the reintroduction of the old firm derby, yet it appears that this duopoly is one of the factors that has stifled our game over the last three decades.
For me it is about what we do, we have to improve the product. Hibs have done a lot to try and move the tide, better facilities for one, but have failed in others, bringing through youth into our first team (I know there are exceptions but not enough). In our 'league of fear' it is far better to spend not on facilities or on youth, but to pay wages to average journey men who will do a job - no excitement, no ambition.
As a little side note, on the FIFA website you can compare the number of registered players and clubs with other countries, Eire has a smaller population (just), it has half as many registered clubs as Scotland but twice as many registered players - Eire are in the Euros. Not league related as such but interesting.