PDA

View Full Version : Family or Ambitions ?

Torto7062
31-05-2016, 08:48 AM
My thinking is that Stubbs will go,not long ago he was being touted as the next Celtic manager then we hit that horrendous run,which meant we failed to get promoted for the 2nd time but we won the Holy Grail.
What would have the thoughts been if we lost last Saturday?
I for one think that with his family being on Merseyside it's time for him to move back nearer them and Rotherham (however a big a kick in the hehaws it will be) is only a couple of hrs from his home.
So will he stay with Hibs get promoted then move to a
top-end Championship team or leave now to a relegation battle.
I think it'll be the family pull that will push him over the line.

Thought's folks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
31-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Could it be the fact that he knows better than most that life (never mind football) is to short and wants to try and accelerate his career? People saying Rotheram dancing with relegation etc, perhaps he believes he can make a difference to that scenario?

Scouse Hibee
31-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Edinburgh isn't that far from Liverpool.

Hibbyradge
31-05-2016, 09:00 AM
My thinking is that Stubbs will go,not long ago he was being touted as the next Celtic manager then we hit that horrendous run,which meant we failed to get promoted for the 2nd time but we won the Holy Grail.
What would have the thoughts been if we lost last Saturday?
I for one think that with his family being on Merseyside it's time for him to move back nearer them and Rotherham (however a big a kick in the hehaws it will be) is only a couple of hrs from his home.
So will he stay with Hibs get promoted then move to a
top-end Championship team or leave now to a relegation battle.
I think it'll be the family pull that will push him over the line.

Thought's folks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm not certain, but there might be another thread or two about this. :wink: :greengrin

However, for several reasons, I'll be very surprised if he stays.

A. Rotherham have much more money than Hibs to spend on players.
B. He'll be working in a better league than even the SPL, never mind the Scottish Championship.
C. His personal exposure in England will soar.
D He'll be nearer home.
E. His salary will multiply.

Unless I'm totally wrong about A, he'll go.

GordonHFC
31-05-2016, 09:01 AM
He extended his contract up to the end of next season so he knew he was going to be away from his family for a specific period of time so I dont buy the 'away from the family' arguement. Any manager who bases his carreer solely where his family are based is seriously going to cut his options in management.

It is clear that if he was interviewed for this job last year that he does not want to be in Edinburgh so the best thing from everyones point of view is that he goes and goes quickly. He will remain a hero for what happened last week but we need to move forward quickly to get someone in who can win this league next season.

Bay Area Hibees
31-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Wonder if that's why he was quite subdued relatively post win? Not sure if that's his typically demeanor.

Good luck to him but wish he'd stay and finish the job. Failing drom Rotherham wouldn't be good career move, hope he doesn't fail of course but not a lot of stability there.

Guess on other hand if he does well he'd be in good position to push on.

SJM
31-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Family and loyalty to others. Every day of the week.

CallumLaidlaw
31-05-2016, 09:33 AM
He extended his contract up to the end of next season so he knew he was going to be away from his family for a specific period of time so I dont buy the 'away from the family' arguement. Any manager who bases his carreer solely where his family are based is seriously going to cut his options in management.

It is clear that if he was interviewed for this job last year that he does not want to be in Edinburgh so the best thing from everyones point of view is that he goes and goes quickly. He will remain a hero for what happened last week but we need to move forward quickly to get someone in who can win this league next season.

Contracts essentially mean nothing to players/managers these days. If they want away, it tends to result in that happening. His new contract would have given him a pay rise. I think there will be some truth in the family line, but I think the profile of the English Championship will be the main appeal.

Caversham Green
31-05-2016, 09:35 AM
I'm not certain, but there might be another thread or two about this. :wink: :greengrin

However, for several reasons, I'll be very surprised if he stays.

A. Rotherham have much more money than Hibs to spend on players.
B. He'll be working in a better league than even the SPL, never mind the Scottish Championship.
C. His personal exposure in England will soar.
D He'll be nearer home.
E. His salary will multiply.

Unless I'm totally wrong about A, he'll go.

While Rotherham will likely have more to spend in absolute terms, they will have to shop in a far more expensive market than Hibs. Rotherham are a very small club in the context of the English Championship and they will need to look for a higher calibre of player than they have if they want to do any more than just survive. If they go down I think they will have real problems.

I think Stubbs will go as well, but I doubt if it's a good move for him.

Caversham Green
31-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Contracts essentially mean nothing to players/managers these days. If they want away, it tends to result in that happening. His new contract would have given him a pay rise. I think there will be some truth in the family line, but I think the profile of the English Championship will be the main appeal.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't have some form of release clause in his contract.

brog
31-05-2016, 09:56 AM
While Rotherham will likely have more to spend in absolute terms, they will have to shop in a far more expensive market than Hibs. Rotherham are a very small club in the context of the English Championship and they will need to look for a higher calibre of player than they have if they want to do any more than just survive. If they go down I think they will have real problems.

I think Stubbs will go as well, but I doubt if it's a good move for him.

I agree your thoughts Cav. Rotherham, unlike several other "smaller" English clubs have never really been seen as a stepping stone to bigger & better things. Their 3 most successful managers in the last 10 years were Steve Evans, Mark Robins & Ronnie Moore, recently sacked by Leeds, S****horpe & Hartlepool respectively! Evans is the only one that could even have been regarded as progress but he was never going to succeed at Leeds given the fan hostility to his appointment. I really do think AS is playing a canny game of poker here.

TrinityHibs
31-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Wonder if that's why he was quite subdued relatively post win? Not sure if that's his typically demeanor.

Good luck to him but wish he'd stay and finish the job. Failing drom Rotherham wouldn't be good career move, hope he doesn't fail of course but not a lot of stability there.

Guess on other hand if he does well he'd be in good position to push on.

My son said that on Sunday when we re-watched the game

biotech
31-05-2016, 02:16 PM
More money, bigger budget and nearer to home. Sadly, can't see any reason why wouldn't go.