PDA

View Full Version : Ian Cathro - Next Hibs Manager

thebausburst
30-05-2016, 09:06 PM
No insider knowledge but I recon Ian Cathro (Assistant at Newcastle) fits the Hibs profile for next manager, very well thought of and also has experience abroad with Valencia.

Greencore
30-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Seen this on Twitter just the now. Kenny millar believing he would hear us out. Not certain though.

JimBHibees
30-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Interesting apparently an exceptional coach. Tight with potter. Should be considered.

FromTheCapital
30-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Ian Cathro:

• 29 years old
• Current assistant at Newcastle
• Worked at Valencia & Rio Ave
• Helped design SFA Performance School Programme
• Credited by Ryan Gauld, John Souttar etc as the biggest influence in their careers at DUTD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
30-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Obviously a very talented and forward thinking coach. Whether any club gamble that he can lead a group of young men and manage them, I'm personally not convinced.

Possibly someone who'd rather spend his days working with top level players now rather than Championship in Scotland.

Centre Hawf
30-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Apparently a very good coach, would be interesting to see if he can make that jump up to management. Would definitely consider it. Could be another Stubbsy waiting for his chance.

KWJ
30-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I can't imagine him taking a wage drop to join us or wanting to leave Newcastle when they are going to be favourites for the title and he gets to work with Rafa Benitez.

Hi Heid Yin
30-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Why on earth has another thread been started highlighting one manager when we have a 9 pager thread already going?

RoYO!
30-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Ian Cathro:

• 29 years old
• Current assistant at Newcastle
• Worked at Valencia & Rio Ave
• Helped design SFA Performance School Programme
• Credited by Ryan Gauld, John Souttar etc as the biggest influence in their careers at DUTD

29! Jeez he'd be the first hibs manager who's younger than me!

It's a no from me! ;)

LancsHibs
30-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Never heard of him:dunno:

Hibbyradge
30-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Why on earth has another thread been started highlighting one manager when we have a 9 pager thread already going?

Zackly.

Hi Heid Yin
30-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Admins: can we not delete this thread or incorporate into the current 9/10 pager other thread?

renato
30-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Just posted pretty much the same thing on the PM board - very highly rated and he's got great experience at massive clubs, abroad too, with a track record of youth development (Ryan Gauld etc). Would be a very intriguing avenue...

overdrive
30-05-2016, 09:33 PM
The last assistant manager at Newcastle that we appointed was a great success ;)

GreenCastle
30-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't want him - he's not a manager - more of a coach.

Maybe on coaching staff (but can't see him leaving NUFC) but not as our main manager.

Haymaker
30-05-2016, 10:22 PM

Maybe on coaching staff (but can't see him leaving NUFC) but not as our main manager.

That's the style we are going for, a first team coach.

givescotlandfreedom
30-05-2016, 11:10 PM
His name fits into the McGinn song so it's a yes from me .

HappyHibby93
31-05-2016, 02:02 AM
The name that has excited me the most. I have a feeling he'd be a fantastic appointment. I can't see him walking away from working with Benitez though. I would think he'll learn a huge amount from a coach of that stature and quality

OsloHibs
31-05-2016, 02:40 AM
He won't leave rafa for hibs.. I mean unless your a hibs fan, would you!!?

California-Hibs
31-05-2016, 03:37 AM
He won't leave rafa for hibs.. I mean unless your a hibs fan, would you!!?

He's in the shadows at Newcastle and could have an opportunity to become is own man. They also just got relegated. Not really too far fetched at all that Hibs could tempt him.

Beefster
31-05-2016, 05:48 AM

I think you need to brush up on the structure at Hibs.

LustForLeith
31-05-2016, 06:04 AM
Was he not tipped with the Rangers job before Warburton got it? He left Valencia at that point to come back to Britain I think.

sauzee6_2
31-05-2016, 06:09 AM
No! No! No! No!

Trust me on this one, he would not be right for Hibs.

He has got where he is mainly through people he knows (Harry Potter being his main contact).

Think Benitez will bin him quickly at Newcastle.

A good youth coach, but I would be gutted if he was our next manager.

JimBHibees
31-05-2016, 06:35 AM
No! No! No! No!

He has got where he is mainly through people he knows (Harry Potter being his main contact).

He has coached at La Liga and EPL level and has been a significant influence in bringing through very talented young players should certainly be considered IMO. With an experienced assistant of his choice could be a strong candidate. Saw an interview with him when he indicated he was keen to run his own team.

Niffy
31-05-2016, 06:48 AM
No.
We need a tactician to gaurantee promotion , not develop youth.

GreenCastle
31-05-2016, 07:36 AM
I think you need to brush up on the structure at Hibs.

Tell me more than?

Stubbs does a lot of managing along with coaching.

Having had 1st hand experience with Cathro he is good at development of players but lacks the presence and people skills to be a manager.

It would be a massive risk if we went for him.

The_Exile
31-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Being great at training is one thing but leading and motivating a group of young lads towards a common goal is something else. Is it a risk we can take at this point in time?

Jim44
31-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Was Cathro not linked with the Sevco job?

Scorrie
31-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Was Cathro not linked with the Sevco job?

Aye he was from what I remember. Could be a very interesting appointment though can't make my mind up if we need an innovative young coach or someone with experience who knows the Scottish game and will get us promoted.

TheReg!
31-05-2016, 09:24 PM
I think this good be a cracking appointment btw, put him beside someone with a little bit about themselves and we could reap the benefits, it's the sort of left field that we should aim for.

Cod Boy
31-05-2016, 09:30 PM
With Alex Miller as his number 2

Thecat23
31-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Got £10 on him at 16's 😁

Andy74
31-05-2016, 09:53 PM
I think this good be a cracking appointment btw, put him beside someone with a little bit about themselves and we could reap the benefits, it's the sort of left field that we should aim for.

To what end? Shouldn't we just go for someone we think will get us promoted? What benefit do we get from it being left field?

Most seem to think we do the same sort of thing we did with Stubbs. League wise we failed.

Thecat23
31-05-2016, 10:03 PM
To what end? Shouldn't we just go for someone we think will get us promoted? What benefit do we get from it being left field?

Most seem to think we do the same sort of thing we did with Stubbs. League wise we failed.

Let's be honest here. No one knows how well anyone will do until they are In the job. Calderwood, Butcher etc had experience but it doesn't always work. It's a gamble whoever we go for Andy.

Stubbs won us the Scottish and made the final of the LC. Doing so cost us going up imo. Far to many games caught up with us.

Billy Whizz
31-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Let's be honest here. No one knows how well anyone will do until they are In the job. Calderwood, Butcher etc had experience but it doesn't always work. It's a gamble whoever we go for Andy.

Stubbs won us the Scottish and made the final of the LC. Doing so cost us going up imo. Far to many games caught up with us.

Would be nice to know what we're looking for though. Promotion is a must, but are they looking for someone with a few years coaching/ management experience, who ready for the next level, it someone tried and trusted that may get a year out of?

Thecat23
31-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Would be nice to know what we're looking for though. Promotion is a must, but are they looking for someone with a few years coaching/ management experience, who ready for the next level, it someone tried and trusted that may get a year out of?

I think we'll find out sooner rather than later this time.

Captain Trips
31-05-2016, 10:16 PM
On paper your Coyles etc would be good choice and if didnt work most focus would be on the actual managers failings.

Cathro if doesn't go up the focus would be on who appointed him.

jacomo
31-05-2016, 10:16 PM

:agree:

And it was glorious.

The AS chapter is finished. Hardly flawless but so many positives. Unlucky in the run in with injured midfielders and out of form strikers. They returned for the final and we won.

Happy memories. Time to move on. Any new appointment is a risk, and follows a good manager.

Thecat23
31-05-2016, 10:20 PM

And it was glorious.

The AS chapter is finished. Hardly flawless but so many positives. Unlucky in the run in with injured midfielders and out of form strikers. They returned for the final and we won.

Happy memories. Time to move on. Any new appointment is a risk, and follows a good manager.

Couldn't agree more 👍🏼

jgl07
31-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Never heard of him:dunno:
I had never heard of Stuart Baxter (and probably still haven't) but he has been touted as manager for Hibs for every vacancy since McLeish jumped ship.

monktonharp
31-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Was Cathro not linked with the Sevco job?which means? and does this influence your thoughts on him/ and, more importantly who linked him? the daily rancid journos?

skipster7
31-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Genuinely never heard of the guy and at 29 far too young imo

Eaststandee
31-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Cathro was my first choice when asked who I wanted. Everyone's a risk though, and whoever is picked, some fans won't be happy.

monktonharp
31-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Was he not tipped with the Rangers job before Warburton got it? He left Valencia at that point to come back to Britain I think.Britain, to him is hardly Scotland I think. bit like Scotland to me, is hardly Britain.I think

monktonharp
31-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Aye he was from what I remember. Could be a very interesting appointment though can't make my mind up if we need an innovative young coach or someone with experience who knows the Scottish game and will get us promoted.so your in a flux, as to, do we gamble with a young chap 29 yr old or do we actually get someone who knows the Scottish scene outside in, that will get us promoted?:confused:

monktonharp
31-05-2016, 10:33 PM

Stubbs won us the Scottish and made the final of the LC. Doing so cost us going up imo. Far to many games caught up with us.aye, I keep saying that inwardly. wish we hudnae won that bloody thing, could be playing partick and killie, st johnstone etc next year.:rolleyes: this is gonna cost us a lot of money , having to go to Europe, playing all those cup games again too.

monktonharp
31-05-2016, 10:43 PM

And it was glorious.

Happy memories. Time to move on. Any new appointment is a risk, and follows a good manager.the fact that we did not go up this season, imho is not down entirely to Stubbs. we incredulously hit a 6 or 7 match slump, and even lost a game at Alloa through some absolutely silly work by the players. we were indeed cheated, at ER during the Falkirk match and were mugged on at least 2 occasions by them. we will not be done like that next season, but we do need experience at the helm and as for this guy Cathro, never head of him and don't want his likes, for the new season.

steakbake
31-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Is he on Championship Manager or something?

TheReg!
31-05-2016, 11:51 PM

I just think the way we are set up along with East mains leans to having a top notch coach, something different to the normal way that Scottish football is at the moment, look at Swansea, Southampton etc,
they've come from nowhere in the grand scheme of things and have been relatively successful over the last few years in how they run their clubs and how they play. IF Hibs were to take that leap and really buy into this system that they're apparently using, then someone like Ian Cathrow could catch everyone by surprise and make us the club we deserve to be.

IWasThere2016
01-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Duller than five day auld dishwater

IWasThere2016
01-06-2016, 11:52 PM
IC was drinking coffee in Café Nero, Broughty Ferry today .. we're regulars in there :greengrin

#2 Double Tap
01-06-2016, 11:54 PM
it would be like letting your kid drive the car :D

1van Sprou7e
08-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Always rated him

Keith_M
08-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Always rated him

Whoever thought he should be the Hibs Manager must be feeling really stupid about now...

greenginger
08-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Got £10 on him at 16's 😁

I bet that's a tenner you're not sorry you lost. :greengrin

bigwheel
08-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Whoever thought he should be the Hibs Manager must be feeling really stupid about now...

Hindsight views are always easy I guess...There were many more on here who wanted Butcher than would ever have backed Cathro ...so maybe they should ever listen to the fans view on those jobs !

I guess if many had heard him talk they would have been far from impressed

I do have it in good authority from someone in the game that Austin McPhee is very well thought of though ...could have taken the SFA role that Malky McKay got if he had wanted it ..

Hibernia&Alba
08-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Always rated him

:greengrin

Dodged a bullet there, eh? Cathro must stay :lolyam:

hfc rd
08-05-2017, 06:44 PM
No! No! No! No!

I'm glad we were warned!

Greentinted
08-05-2017, 06:47 PM
While it's always enjoyable having a gratuitous go at the gimps I think it is safe to say we (and others who perhaps considered IC for a managerial role) dodged a big bugger of a bullet!
From the moment I became aware of him it was obvious he's nowhere near suited to a proper gaffer's gig! Nae luck Jambos...
(As an aside, I dunno if many will recall the Spitting Image conceit concerning Davids Steel and Owen but the latex David Steel is Cathro to a tee :greengrin )

1two
08-05-2017, 06:47 PM
No! No! No! No!

Such a negative post. Give the guy a chance!

SaulGoodman
08-05-2017, 06:48 PM
He's doing grand for us so far

08-05-2017, 07:08 PM
He's doing grand for us so far
😂😂

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

hibs#1
08-05-2017, 07:11 PM
I always think that English isn't his first language when being interviewed,but then I remember he's Scottish.

I highly doubt half his players have clue what he's rambling on about half the time.

Allant1981
08-05-2017, 07:25 PM
pretty certain there was a poster on here who was raving about him at the time, the guy may be a good youth coach but we certainly dodged a bullet if we were even interested

Thecat23
08-05-2017, 07:32 PM
I bet that's a tenner you're not sorry you lost. :greengrin

You better believe it. I wonder how he'd do with a DOF who allowed him to do his own training etc without as much interference? Either way I never want to find out as I think he's horrific 😁

Hibby70
08-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Well done everyone on this thread. No doubt the yaMI6 undercover agents fed back to Moneypenny's granny that some were interested in here and they've jumped at getting one up on us.

sauzee6_2
08-05-2017, 08:35 PM
No! No! No! No!

Where is the smug smilie????

I've known Cathro for years (in a professional capacity) the man is a balloon!

Delighted he is with that mob! 💩

Malthibby
08-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Where is the smug smilie????

I've known Cathro for years (in a professional capacity) the man is a balloon!

Delighted he is with that mob! 💩

:smug:
And now; Lottery numbers?
GG

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-05-2017, 08:59 PM
🤣🤣🤣