PDA

View Full Version : Alex Mcleish

Torto7062
30-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Anyone ?

He's been in this league knows the Scottish game and must have loads of contacts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
30-05-2016, 08:13 PM
I'd take him.

Gerard
30-05-2016, 08:15 PM
A good choice if AS goes to another club.

jacomo
30-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Does he want it though?

He's got a comfortable life these days - being a manager is hard graft and all-consuming.

mentalhibee
30-05-2016, 08:17 PM
If Stubbsy leaves, McLeish would be my first choice. Hopefully Stubbs stay and takes us up though.

BSEJVT
30-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Does he want it though?

He's got a comfortable life these days - being a manager is hard graft and all-consuming.

Not for me

Yesterdays man or even longer ago than that.

Scouse Hibee
30-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Not for me

Agreed not for me either.

murray26
30-05-2016, 08:18 PM
If he was interested then yes.. Can't see it myself..

Billy Whizz
30-05-2016, 08:19 PM
No thanks,

hibIBZ
30-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Not for me

This. Fresh face and continuation of what has been happening since relegation in terms of putting the club to rights

bigwheel
30-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Despite the way he left us...there will be no one better available for us - if we can get him, we should...

stevie-bee
30-05-2016, 08:43 PM
I think he would be interested , went away to Egypt to manage a team must be desperate to get back into management

ShinyFantastic
30-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Absolutely. My preferred choice and I believe the man to take the club forward should Stubbs leave. He's done it for us before, definitely think he would have us walk this league.

H18 SFR
30-05-2016, 08:48 PM
thank ****, you take him, keeps him away from Hibs.

Fair do's, who are you thinking for the post?

Torto7062
30-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Agreed not for me either.
Why not Scouse?
Look at the team he built the last time,his football contacts will be frightening now,he knows the Scottish game and he knows his league....who would you rather have ?

Purehibee_MYB
30-05-2016, 08:50 PM
If Stubbs leaves, which I'm hoping still won't happen, I think we would be best going for someone who fits a similar mould, young manager with something to prove and a strong character. Not an easy find though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
30-05-2016, 08:51 PM
I hope to hell that LD has a more fertile imagination and outlook than some of the posters on here.

thommo1875
30-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Not for me.

John Doolan would be my choice, although he'd prob go with Stubbs.

A would also be keen on Steve Clarke

MWHIBBIES
30-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Do folk not remember the money he spent last time? No chance he would come back and I'm not sure I'd even want him.

30-05-2016, 09:02 PM
I'd take him. Plenty experience and plenty contacts.

staunchhibby
30-05-2016, 09:04 PM
No thanks could not get along the M8 quick enough when they came calling.

H18 SFR
30-05-2016, 09:04 PM
right now? Stubbs.

Lets for a minute consider that Stubbs isn't a choice, hypothetically of course?

Baldy Foghorn
30-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Not for me, let's not forget his stay for as long as I'm wanted speech, before bolting along M8 when the bigots came calling..........

Smartie
30-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Why not Scouse?
Look at the team he built the last time,his football contacts will be frightening now,he knows the Scottish game and he knows his league....who would you rather have ?

Maybe he did in 1998 but I'm not convinced Alex McLeish knows this league any better than any of the punters on here.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Although if he were to surround himself with the right people I don't think this would be a problem.

Edson Arantes
30-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Of course.

Definitely.

DH1875
30-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Only if he's got the budget he had last time.

Torto7062
30-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I think it will be fair to say we will have the biggest budget in the league next season..surely wages won't be a problem either

Stax
30-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Maybe he did in 1998 but I'm not convinced Alex McLeish knows this league any better than any of the punters on here.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Although if he were to surround himself with the right people I don't think this would be a problem.
This. He won't have a scooby / any interest in this league apart from how the Huns have exited it. He's been plying his trade (and emptied) in Egypt. Brilliant 1st time around for him & us but no thanks, he's out of work for a reason.

tamig
30-05-2016, 09:44 PM

Lol. Sauzee was on something like 8 grand a week. These budgets are gone forever.

#FromTheCapital
30-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Take him in a heartbeat.

Nicho87
30-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Experienced manager is what we need. An by that someone with a pedigree not a balloon like houston. Thats just outragous. McLeish left for champions league and titles and 5x his wage probably. Like it or lump it he left at that time as he was a young hungry manager. Id take him back now before stubbs even if stubbs said he was staying.

Eyrie
30-05-2016, 09:58 PM
No interest in GJP.

I'm not misty eyed over his success here when he had an open cheque book, but I do remember how he bolted for Huns RIP when he had us on a poor run of form. His recent record is poor and his knowledge of lower league football in Scotland will be non-existent.

stoneyburn hibs
30-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Had his time here, no thanks.

lucky
30-05-2016, 10:08 PM
He had his chance did well and moved on. Hibs won't be going for someone who has been here before.

Andy74
30-05-2016, 10:25 PM

He was also up against teams that had more cash to spend too.

Guys like Latapy and Sauzee were icing on the cake in the first division but he actually got a solid team together before they arrived that was getting the job done.

California-Hibs
31-05-2016, 12:37 AM
It's a no brainer. Of course I'd take him. Not sure he'd come though..

OsloHibs
31-05-2016, 01:44 AM
Nope. JudaS. I remember how he left.

Hibby Bairn
31-05-2016, 01:47 AM
I think he is coaching in Egypt right now.

snooky
31-05-2016, 01:49 AM

Let bygones be bygones. The GJP has gone by.
No thanks - new young blood please.

Davy Mac
31-05-2016, 06:55 AM
We need a Manager/Head Coach that will get us playing football to get out this league.

We can't afford another trial experiment like Stubbs again, a tried and trusted Scottish Manager like McLeish is what we need, not for the long term but just get us out of this league.

1 or 2 Year contract with a capable nbr 2 like Ian Murray/Stubbs type who then takes the reigns thereafter.

Lets go again....as we are only as good as our last game. C'mon Hibs let's stick together and get out of this league.

Paisley Hibby
31-05-2016, 07:12 AM
Yesterday's man.

bingo70
31-05-2016, 07:21 AM
We need a Manager/Head Coach that will get us playing football to get out this league.

We can't afford another trial experiment like Stubbs again, a tried and trusted Scottish Manager like McLeish is what we need, not for the long term but just get us out of this league.

1 or 2 Year contract with a capable nbr 2 like Ian Murray/Stubbs type who then takes the reigns thereafter.

Lets go again....as we are only as good as our last game. C'mon Hibs let's stick together and get out of this league.

I totally disagree.

Any experienced manager we could attract would have been a failure somewhere else so why would this be any more of a guarantee than someone who's got potential and never failed anywhere?

Terry Butcher was experienced, Colin calderwood was experienced, tiny Mowbray was inexperienced and Allan Stubbs was inexperienced yet still won us the cup.

Also worth remembering the last two winners of this league were new to the league.

I'd rather gamble on someone that might be brilliant than gamble on someone that's always been average.

Hibby Kay-Yay
31-05-2016, 07:22 AM
People tend to forget that McLeish had the funds to get players like Latapy and Sauzee. He won't have that this time round and I've not see any evidence of him being in demand for other positions.

It's a no from me.

Steve20
31-05-2016, 07:22 AM
I loved the days of McLeish's team at Hibs. But they were a long time ago and how much does he really know about the Scottish leagues these days. Falkirk have Houston and Dundee Utd have McKinnon, both who have a large knowledge on the league. We need experience to get out this league but also someone who knows the Scottish leagues.

Kaiser1962
31-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Not for me

He was known as "The Relegator" after spells at Birmingham and Villa. The way he left was a bit duplicitous to say the least so it's a no from me.

makaveli1875
31-05-2016, 09:10 AM
no thanks

mim
31-05-2016, 09:13 AM
People tend to forget that McLeish had the funds to get players like Latapy and Sauzee. He won't have that this time round and I've not see any evidence of him being in demand for other positions.

It's a no from me.

This :agree:

CRAZYHIBBY
31-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Moved to coach his boyhood heroes and one of the biggest clubs in the league.......pissed me off too but would you not do the same

Kaiser1962
31-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Moved to coach his boyhood heroes and one of the biggest clubs in the league.......pissed me off too but would you not do the same

Dont have a problem with anybody who does this but the manner in which it was carried out was very disrespectful to Hibs.

SJM
31-05-2016, 10:31 AM
He left us in the **** big time.

Onion
31-05-2016, 10:32 AM
No thanks.

HappyHanlon
31-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Brought us Le God and then left him to pick up the pieces with a dire squad a few years down the line.

He couldn't get away from ER quick enough when the bigots came calling.

Andy74
31-05-2016, 12:21 PM

It's a no from me.

People also tend to forget that Sauzee and Latapy were not all that key to us going up.

Jamesie
31-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Bertie Auld would be just as good :wink:

Stevie Reid
31-05-2016, 03:52 PM
This board is amazing. IF he were to somehow come back there would be no guarantees, much like with any managerial appointment - but I'm utterly perplexed at how many people dismiss a manager of his calibre out of hand.

As for the "I'm here for as long as you want me" statement, that was made on the day we were awarded the First Division trophy, at a time where there was serious press speculation linking him with both the Aberdeen job, and assistant manager at Man Utd - he said it to allay any fears that he would be leaving that summer, and allow us to enjoy the summer ahead of our return to the SPL. To hold him to it exactly is bizarre.

McLeish was a good manager for us in many, many ways, and restored a lot of pride in the club when we were at one of our lowest ebbs. I'll always be grateful for the job he did and have no problems with him whatsoever - including no issue with the fact that he went to Rangers and how it came about.

Don't really know why anyone would have tbh, and the GJP stuff is a nonsense. If Stubbs goes will he be a Judas? Is every manager who left a smaller club to join us one as well?

Liam978
31-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Take him in a heartbeat.

Well said. need to get out of this league, already proven he has the why and wherefall GGTTH.

Waxy
31-05-2016, 04:21 PM
No Alex Mcleish. He's Rangers.

Ged
31-05-2016, 05:10 PM
I loved the days of McLeish's team at Hibs. But they were a long time ago and how much does he really know about the Scottish leagues these days. Falkirk have Houston and Dundee Utd have McKinnon, both who have a large knowledge on the league. We need experience to get out this league but also someone who knows the Scottish leagues.

Has LD been in touch and asked who you want? Another 2 years of managerial temper tantrums would be too much to take, so she should just go with who you want to give the rest of us peace.

Hi Heid Yin
31-05-2016, 05:15 PM
There is already a 16 page thread on our potential next manager, and McCleish has been mentioned numerous times on it. Why start a brand new thread?:rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
31-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Don't really know why anyone would have tbh, and the GJP stuff is a nonsense. If Stubbs goes will he be a Judas? Is every manager who left a smaller club to join us one as well?

Advocaat said a number of times, from reasonably early in the season, that he knew who his successor was. He did and equally rumours were rife that it was McLeish. Acting on these rumours Mcleish was also asked a number of times by RP if it was him and he said that it wasst.

He's a decent enough manager and would organise our team well, but the previous disingenuous behaviour rules him out for me. Opinions eh!

The first game when he left was against Old Rangers at Ibrox and RP totally blanked him, refused a handshake and walked by without acknowledging his existence. I did note that he said good things about Rod on the Cup Final broadcast so maybe they have made peace, it was a while ago now.

Greenworld
31-05-2016, 06:35 PM
No chance

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Colr
31-05-2016, 06:37 PM
No thanks. Not after the way he bailed last time

tamig
31-05-2016, 06:39 PM
gjp?..

GJP - what's the query?

Stokesy's on fire
31-05-2016, 07:43 PM
No thanks. Not after the way he bailed last time

that was then

Eyrie
31-05-2016, 07:51 PM
GJP - what's the query?

I suppose the G now stands for grey rather than ginger.

HibsNibs
31-05-2016, 08:09 PM
GJP is a tired old has been. Not in a million years.

oldbutdim
01-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Advocaat said a number of times, from reasonably early in the season, that he knew who his successor was. He did and equally rumours were rife that it was McLeish. Acting on these rumours Mcleish was also asked a number of times by RP if it was him and he said that it wasst.

He's a decent enough manager and would organise our team well, but the previous disingenuous behaviour rules him out for me. Opinions eh!

The first game when he left was against Old Rangers at Ibrox and RP totally blanked him, refused a handshake and walked by without acknowledging his existence. I did note that he said good things about Rod on the Cup Final broadcast so maybe they have made peace, it was a while ago now.

Spot on.

HappyHanlon
01-06-2016, 02:32 PM
McLeish can sook the root. Horrible scaff of a man.

FitbaFolkKen
01-06-2016, 02:38 PM

You're not very Happy Hanlon!

Waxy
01-06-2016, 02:46 PM

Unhappyhanlon

HappyHanlon
01-06-2016, 03:05 PM
You're not very Happy Hanlon!

He's a tit that abandoned us as soon as the Huns came calling.

Spudster
01-06-2016, 04:02 PM
When McLeish got us out the old first division we had Sauzee on £12k (european cup winner around 10 years earlier and french international) a week and Latapy on £9k a week.
I'm trying to think of an equivalent and can't help but think we aren't going to be singing Xavi, Steven Gerrard, Pirlo, Deco or Kaka anytime soon! Eck bought his way out of this league and was found out everywhere he didn't have hugely disproportionate money to spend (minus a lucky win versus France). No thanks!

Tom Hart RIP
01-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Article in record. AM quoted as saying "Iwouldn’t want to come to back to manage in Scotland at this stage"

Andy74
01-06-2016, 04:12 PM
When McLeish got us out the old first division we had Sauzee on £12k (european cup winner around 10 years earlier and french international) a week and Latapy on £9k a week.
I'm trying to think of an equivalent and can't help but think we aren't going to be singing Xavi, Steven Gerrard, Pirlo, Deco or Kaka anytime soon! Eck bought his way out of this league and was found out everywhere he didn't have hugely disproportionate money to spend (minus a lucky win versus France). No thanks!

The reality though is that it was the other players that were brought in at a lower cost who set the groundwork for us getting promoted. The arrivals of Latapy and Sauzee were the icing on the cake and they pushed us on in the SPL when we got up.

Far more relevant was the signing of Mixu. Others like Lovell, Skineer, Holsgrove, Hughes and Dennis all played a big part.

Onion
01-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Hibs played some of the best football I've seen by any Hibs team when GJP was in charge - although he was well bankrolled. I wasn't impressed with the way he left Hibs, but the team was already on the slide and he tripled his wages etc so can't really blame him for going to the Huns.

The only advantage in appointing GJP this time is he is highly unlikely to be off to a bigger team any time soon. The Huns won't want him again, and his stock in England is trashed. Which all means, if he is successful at Hibs there's a good chance we'll hang onto him for a while.

Waxy
01-06-2016, 07:48 PM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14529107.Alex_McLeish__I_don_t_want_the_Hibs_job__ I_d_prefer_to_go_back_to_England/

Ronniekirk
01-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Whats he have ring on about Fore Fighting for How come he only lasted 65 days st an Egyptian club
He doesn't want to come back and that suits me fine
I trust L D to get us the right person to bring us back up Holy Grail this year promotion next year

Stevie Reid
01-06-2016, 09:42 PM

12K and 9K a week? Right then.

whereswallace?
01-06-2016, 09:44 PM
12K and 9K a week? Right then.

I'm sure I recall Sauzee was on 8k a week. This was at a time when Scottish clubs went a bit mental when TV money came in first time.

Stevie Reid
01-06-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm sure I recall Sauzee was on 8k a week. This was at a time when Scottish clubs went a bit mental when TV money came in first time.

I could believe £7K as a very, very upper maximum when they signed their second contracts as it was in the days of crazy Sky money. No danger the two combined cost us £1M+ in basic wages though.

tamig
01-06-2016, 09:51 PM

That was the number I recall but there were a few more guys in that squad on money that would dwarf anything like we're paying nowadays.