PDA

View Full Version : Pat McGinlay

bigwheel
30-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Apparently it's Pat's 49th birthday today ...made me think about how top quality a player he was for us

As good a box to box goal scoring midfielder as I can think of for us ...

Anyone agree?

Happy birthday Pat !

johnbc70
30-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Imagine Hibs buying Celtic's top scorer, cause that's what happened when we bought Pat back.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Apparently it's Pat's 49th birthday today ...made me think about how top quality a player he was for us

As good a box to box goal scoring midfielder as I can think of for us ...

Anyone agree?

Happy birthday Pat !

Pat Mark 1 was ace. The one that came back from Celtc just wasn't the same. Having said that, I think if his shot that clipped the post at Ibrox just after Leighton had saved Andy ****er's penalty had gone in it would've shaved 21 years off THE WAIT. :wink:

KeithTheHibby
30-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Never seen his likes since he left. A regular goal-scoring midfielder.

pennyhibee
30-05-2016, 12:49 PM
All the best Pat .Remember you hammering the ball out the park in Skol cup final ,that's how I realised it was full time .Top guy ,bit like the Liam Henderson story ,happier at Hibs

SkintHibby
30-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Pat coaches my son in the wild west but I've not seen him for a few months now. I asked one of the other coaches on the team where he's been and he said his mum is not well.

Spoke to Pat a few times and he said he loved his playing days at the Hibs.:thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
30-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Never seen his likes since he left. A regular goal-scoring midfielder.

:agree:

Mcginlay was some player for hibs make no mistake about that

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Imagine Hibs buying Celtic's top scorer, cause that's what happened when we bought Pat back.

Without doing any checking its probably the only time a midfield player has achieved that feat. (Never came through the ranks and was seemingly never really accepted as one of them).

KeithTheHibby
30-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Without doing any checking its probably the only time a midfield player has achieved that feat. (Never came through the ranks and was seemingly never really accepted as one of them).

They were a poor team at the time Celtic however doesn't overshadow Pat's goals that season.

Stevie Reid
30-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Scored over 100 goals in his career, some feat for a midfielder who spent the vast majority of his time in the top league.

Cabbage East
30-05-2016, 01:06 PM
One of my favourite ever Hibs players.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2016, 01:06 PM

I think he did all right for them (and was a big Celtc fan) but he didn't get on with Tommy Burns.

The Harp
30-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Pat is/was one of my all-time favourite Hibs players and a tremendous servant of the club.
Hope life's treating you well Pat. Thanks for the memories. If it is your birthday, have a good one

Peevemor
30-05-2016, 01:11 PM
He was greeting his eyes out at the end of the match at Tynie (last game of the season) which was his last game for Hibs. He seemed far more emotional than Yogi who was in the same boat.

Smartie
30-05-2016, 01:13 PM
He'd get about 20 goals a season in the current team.

Rather than a striker, it's his late arrivals that would treble the number of assists that Lewis gets.

Great player. Mainly remembered for his goalscoring but he was a superb all-rounder who could win a header and do the ugly stuff as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2016, 01:17 PM
I think he did all right for them

I don't think anyones arguing otherwise.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Here's Pat scoring from the centre circle (I think the week after Chic Charnley had scored from even further back in a non-televised game). Amazing how good that team looked for about 3 weeks. :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/lXfHId42b8Y?t=3223

Bizarre video, mixing Hibs from the TTs to Paul Tosh, sublime and ridiculous all in there!

ekhibee
30-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Slightly against the trend here. I always thought McGinlay was a good player, and he scored some good goals as well (particularly the one from behind the half way line), but he was also lazy. I remember watching a game when I was standing on the east terracing and this woman who was standing about 3 steps down from me was shouting at McGinlay- " Mcginlay, Get yer arse in gear!". She was really good-looking as well. Later on one of my mates pointed out that it was his wife!

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Pat coaches my son in the wild west but I've not seen him for a few months now. I asked one of the other coaches on the team where he's been and he said his mum is not well.

Spoke to Pat a few times and he said he loved his playing days at the Hibs.:thumbsup:Hahahaha, he coaches my nephew there! :hmmm:

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Lazy? I think you'll be in a tiny minority with that viewpoint.

Aldo
30-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Slightly against the trend here. I always thought McGinlay was a good player, and he scored some good goals as well (particularly the one from behind the half way line), but he was also lazy. I remember watching a game when I was standing on the east terracing and this woman who was standing about 3 steps down from me was shouting at McGinlay- " Mcginlay, Get yer arse in gear!". She was really good-looking as well. Later on one of my mates pointed out that it was his wife!

O dear! I'll tell you what I wouldn't mind a MF player as lazy as Pat McG one that scores 20 goals a season!!

makaveli1875
30-05-2016, 01:51 PM
pat was my favorite player when i was growing up . always popped up with a goal and had a bit of nastiness about him

SkintHibby
30-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Hahahaha, he coaches my nephew there! :hmmm:

You mean this nephew bro?...:greengrin

Topographic Hibby
30-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Here's Pat scoring from the centre circle (I think the week after Chic Charnley had scored from even further back in a non-televised game).....
Chico scored the week before against Alloa in the League Cup. He hit it from the Hibs half, near the centre circle.

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-05-2016, 02:33 PM
You mean this nephew bro?...:greengrin

Hahaha, I knew there could only be one moaning-faced Hibee in Bathgate! :cup:

southern hibby
30-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Spoke to Pat's wife at Dundee Utd when he came back to us. She was absoloutrly down to earth and a good laugh. She said why Pat came back and not going to go into it except that it was Pat that asked Celtic to allow him to leave and they reluctantly said yes and all because of a packet of peanuts.

GGTTH

SkintHibby
30-05-2016, 05:03 PM

:thumbsup:

KWJ
30-05-2016, 05:12 PM
If he was playing now he'd be in the Scotland team.

He's a Scottish Lampard I'd say and I only really watched him regularly in his 2nd spell at Hibs. He was also the main focal point for the boo boys once Michael Renwick left which I found absurd.

Great player with a smile like a Murrayfield Racer :D

Captain Trips
30-05-2016, 05:15 PM
One of the best IMO.

gogsy23
30-05-2016, 05:28 PM
My fav player growing up. I mind just after he re-signed we played them at hampden as darkheid was being developed we were in the purple and green striped top and he scored a double on the way to a 3-2 victory. Great player and would walk into evrey team since then.

McD
30-05-2016, 06:20 PM
My fav player growing up. I mind just after he re-signed we played them at hampden as darkheid was being developed we were in the purple and green striped top and he scored a double on the way to a 3-2 victory. Great player and would walk into evrey team since then.

Remember being upset when he left, and nearly scrapping with mates who supported rantic who kept saying he was pash, and wouldn't get into either of their sides (I remember pointing out Ian Ferguson to end that argument). Seems like just a short time later the Celtic mates were whining about him heading back to ER.

Didnt we actually make a profit on the selling and re-signing of Pat?

superfurryhibby
30-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Remember being upset when he left, and nearly scrapping with mates who supported rantic who kept saying he was pash, and wouldn't get into either of their sides (I remember pointing out Ian Ferguson to end that argument). Seems like just a short time later the Celtic mates were whining about him heading back to ER.

Didnt we actually make a profit on the selling and re-signing of Pat?

100 grand profit. Loved Pat, wholehearted and dynamic player who loved the Hibs. His goals return on his second spell suggests he bettered his rations in his first spell. Career total of more than 100 goals in competitive matches is a rare thing in the modern Scottish game.

Eyrie
30-05-2016, 07:01 PM
My favourite player from that era for his commitment and goals.

Baader
30-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Fantastic player. One of my all time Hibs faves.

Onceinawhile
30-05-2016, 07:31 PM

Thank goodness, means I'm on the clear.

snooky
31-05-2016, 06:17 AM
I liked Pat a lot. Always seemed to put in that wee bit extra in the last 10 minutes to get the headline winner.
That's an observation, not a complaint, btw. :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
31-05-2016, 08:47 AM
a great player