poolman
29-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Wow, that's a great, but sad article

Haymaker
29-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Great article

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Some read. Hopefully the authorities are watching the Twitter feed.
Why in the name of **** would they feel the need to terrorise a small band of Stenhousemuir fans?
Says the whole lot about them really.

WoreTheGreen
29-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Great article. But so true it's sad . Wonder if it will feature in the DR

Hibernia&Alba
29-05-2016, 01:10 PM
The Rangers attracts the far right racist, bigoted, Loyalist loonies; indeed they even encourage it, as their non-Catholic signing policy for so long proved. Society as a whole lives in more socially liberal times, yet many in the Rangers support remain locked into a seventeenth century mindset. Reactionary diehards cling to the club as a reminder of a past now gone. Next time you see a Rangers game on telly, try to spot any ethnic minorities in the crowd, for example; you'll see very few. Their songbook is discriminatory and threatening, as they proudly express their disdain for anyone who isn't part of their British, white, Protestant, heterosexual world. They're an embarrassment to a western society in the twenty-first century.

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Great article. It must indeed be hard supporting Rangers when you don't want to be seen as a bigot and are not one. He hits the nail on the head with his 'no one likes us' comments .............. the general revulsion felt towards the Rangers from other teams has nothing to do with alleged jealousy over their 'success' and everything to do with their bigoted knuckle dragging fans .... as witness the writers experience going to Ibrox to support Stenhousemuir .... Stenhousemuir FFS and yet their tiny band of fans still got the same treatment as everybody else .. what more needs to be said about The Rangers.

High-On-Hibs
29-05-2016, 01:14 PM
The Rangers attracts the far right racist, bigoted, Loyalist loonies; indeed they even encourage it, as their non-Catholic signing policy for so long proved. Society as a whole lives in more socially liberal times, yet many in the Rangers support remain locked into a seventeenth century mindset. Reactionary diehards cling to the club as a reminder of a past now gone. Next time you see a Rangers game on telly, try to spot any ethnic minorities in the crowd, for example; you'll see very few. Their songbook is discriminatory and threatening, as they proudly express their disdain for anyone who isn't part of their British, white, Protestant, heterosexual world. They're an embarrassment to a western society in the twenty-first century.

:agree:

They're the UK equivalent of Texas.

Hibernia&Alba
29-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Aye, I bet many Huns are even Creationists. Not all are intolerant clowns; I have a female friend who is Rangers daft, but you couldn't meet a nicer person. It's a shame the club also attracts the detritus of society, however.

Waxy
29-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Maybe the only way to end this is by Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, the dundee clubs and any other team we can resign from the league and restart without them. We are rock bottom in Europe anyway.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Although I doubt the great Buddy Holly would agree.

haagsehibby
29-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Welcome to Ibrox. Please put your watches back 300 years.

High-On-Hibs
29-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Welcome to Ibrox. Please put your watches back 300 years.

"Welcome to Ibrox. Hand your watches over."

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 01:40 PM
"Welcome to Ibrox. Hand your watches over."

To quote Jello Biafra "Walk quietly to the camp / you'll look nice as a drawstring lamp".......

Pretty Boy
29-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Sad read.

He uses the term 'minority' though. Speaking with little more than my own personal experience to go on I would say the overwhelming majority of Rangers fans I have had prolonged contact with have, to varying levels, had deep rooted sectarian views. In fact I can think of only 2 who I could say showed no quite apparent bigotry.

Hibernia&Alba
29-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Sad read.

He uses the term 'minority' though. Speaking with little more than my own personal experience to go on I would say the overwhelming majority of Rangers fans I have had prolonged contact with have, to varying levels, had deep rooted sectarian views. In fact I can think of only 2 who I could say showed no quite apparent bigotry.

You could well have a point. As I said, I know of one personally, and only one, who doesn't casually refer to Celtic fans at taigs and Fenians, for example, and who doesn't believe the Catholic Church wants to run Scotland. Hardcore loonies :greengrin

Sir David Gray
29-05-2016, 05:05 PM
He'll definitely need to sleep with one eye open now.

Deansy
29-05-2016, 05:18 PM
http://wingsoverscotland.com/amongst-the-bears/

The author of the article's spot-on and one paragraph sums it up perfectly -

'To my mind, the past few years have encouraged a problem that had until then been slowly dying away. The bitter knuckle-draggers have the upper hand again and there seems to be no will at the top (http://archive.is/WK1S8) of either the club or the SFA to change things. When faced with the evidence, they’d rather shoot the messenger (http://wingsoverscotland.com/hullo-hullo-we-are-the-bully-boys/)'

King and his chums, more than willingly assisted by all within the SFA, have returned the Hun to the Hun I first knew in the early 70's - a thuggish, ugly, threatening, almost para-military-like force, obsessed 24/7 with all things Catholic and just a general hatred of all things non or anti-Rangers seeps from every pore !. The powers-that-be at Ibrox but especially King, KNOW that without their special brand of 'Bigotry-Sectarianism', there's NO MONEY to be made at 'Greyskull' and it would also pose a very dangerous threat to their attendances without the main reason for supporting them not there. The things the Hun are getting away with just now - unchallenged - virtually guarantees major-trouble is not far off in the future as they feel/know that no action will be taken against them PLUS their club won't receive any bad publicity from a compliant (bent/corrupt/bigoted ??) Scottish-media. Illegal hymns continue to be sung loud and clear at every match, visiting-supporters are STILL under the threat of physical harm, journalists/members of the public continue to be publicly threatened for having the temerity to print/post what the Hun feel is 'Anti-Rangers', etc, etc - WHY nothing has been done about, it is a scathing indictment of our law-enforcement agencies and Holyrood.

In a sense, I suppose it could be viewed as fortunate we're not in the SPL next season as various Hun-factions (regiments/brigades ??) have all promised to 'avenge/take action' against any club they feel has been against them (still awaiting condemnation from the Hun-board/media on these !!) - who'd be a Policeman/politician next season when the **t hits the fan - and it WILL !!

jacomo
29-05-2016, 06:38 PM
With bigotry as a business model, it would give me great pleasure if it now hurts them financially with more enlightened fans choosing to walk away.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Do they follow the Rangers because they are bigoted or are they bigots because they follow the Rangers.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Do they follow the Rangers because they are bigoted or are they bigots because they follow the Rangers.

The former.

rosco-hibee
29-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Agreed with above, this is a really sad article. Really sad. What's also interesting is the comments at the end filled with Rangers fans who share the same experience. It's a sad thing that if you support Rangers you will immediately be pigeon holed with the cretinous minority.

I have a few pals who like to wind me up by calling Hibs 'Edinburgh Celtic'. I'm glad, and proud that I affiliate myself with a club who's only allegiance is to Leith, and main prerogative is a disdain for the mongrels over Tynecastle way.

GGTTH

Joe6-2
29-05-2016, 09:17 PM
He'll definitely need to sleep with one eye open now.

Which speaks volumes😒

LancashireHibby
29-05-2016, 09:22 PM
The comments section was as interesting at the article. I do wonder that a lot of them are drawn to Rangers at the cost of their local clubs, but in some ways it's probably better to have all (or half of them in the case of the OF) altogether in one place.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Agreed with above, this is a really sad article. Really sad. What's also interesting is the comments at the end filled with Rangers fans who share the same experience. It's a sad thing that if you support Rangers you will immediately be pigeon holed with the cretinous minority.

I have a few pals who like to wind me up by calling Hibs 'Edinburgh Celtic'. I'm glad, and proud that I affiliate myself with a club who's only allegiance is to Leith, and main prerogative is a disdain for the mongrels over Tynecastle way.

GGTTH

I agree with your sentiments, but hibs have more allegiance than to just leith.

Plenty fans who are not from leith or closely associated with leith, including the hibs supporting parts of my own family

AndyM_1875
30-05-2016, 08:25 AM
A sad read that that chimes with some of my experiences.

One of my former work-mates was a huge bluenose but chucked it after he could no longer take the bigotry. He now follows the Juniors and has a Season Ticket at Pollok where he enjoys his football and he can take his boy to it without worrying about the crap that goes with Rangers and their "culture".

I also have school-mates who used to follow (follow?) Rangers but now no longer go as they despise the sectarianism that was basically glossed over in the 80s and 90s. They have grown up and become family men and decided this is not something that should be passed on to their kids.

147lothian
30-05-2016, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/F9-jALgtGW8

Do we really expect people like that to congratulate us on our win?

(((Fergus)))
30-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Aye, I bet many Huns are even Creationists. Not all are intolerant clowns; I have a female friend who is Rangers daft, but you couldn't meet a nicer person. It's a shame the club also attracts the detritus of society, however.

Let's be realistic here: football attracts the detritus of society – in addition to all the nicer people, of course. No other (mainstream) sport has the crowd problems of football.

Finn2015
30-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Some read. Hopefully the authorities are watching the Twitter feed.
Why in the name of **** would they feel the need to terrorise a small band of Stenhousemuir fans?
Says the whole lot about them really.

Cos they are the **** of Scotland really. I'm sure terrorising small bands of supporters is proof of the dominance of 'ra peepul' to them lot