PDA

View Full Version : Hampden Park - not such a bad ground now, is it..?

Carheenlea
29-05-2016, 11:31 AM
It's funny how there has barely been a post criticising our national stadium following our last two visits- two wins, with the second of those now the most celebrated Hibs victory of all. For all its faults, it's still Hampden Park, one of footballs most famous grounds. Rightly or wrongly, the post match scenes have stamped a bit of Hibernian identity on the old ground, and the final itself will live long in the memory for neutral observers as a classic.
I'm glad we won it at Hampden.

Joe6-2
29-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Still a hole!!!

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2016, 11:36 AM
:faf:

It is still a very poor excuse for a national stadium

Twiglet
29-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Nope. Still hate it. Was saying to someone at work this week they should get rid, build something further east so it's easier for all of Scotland there and not cause jams the whole way through Glasgow. Have a museum of Scottish football somewhere else that more people can get to easily.

Onion
29-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Still a hole. Only problem with last Sat is we didn't raise it to the ground when we had the chance.

SaulGoodman
29-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Sat in the South Upper for the first time on Sat and the view is actually cracking!

Ozyhibby
29-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Still a poor stadium although it does offer easy access to the pitch for the spectator. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
29-05-2016, 12:15 PM
About an hour from Edinburgh.

We've won our last two games there.

The local pubs love us and our money.

All the seats face the pitch.

Never had a problem with any of the views regardless of where I've sat and I've sat in all the stands.

Can have a half time smoke outside the east stand.

It's not brilliant but nowhere as bad as some folk make out.

High-On-Hibs
29-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Still an absolute joke of a stadium! And a fiver for a burger. What's with that? :grr:

OsloHibs
29-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Still a dump for me.

O'Rourke3
29-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Hate Hampden and not because of the the memories good and bad. It's a terrible stadium with poor views from most areas. Access is poor and the facilities are meh.

Having been to the Concert Hall and the Hydro recently, new builds are simply better planned and organised, better seating, better facilities.

Polishing that turd was a complete waste of money.

My most abiding memory is still my first visit in 72. Wading through a sea of pee under the North stand. Atmosphere apparently.

It's great passionate crowds that give the atmosphere. A decent team to watch and any "soulless new build" on a farm near Perth, Stirling, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness or Edinburgh and the stadium would be rocking.

Pretty Boy
29-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Beaten only by Windsor Park as the worst national stadium in the UK and Ireland.

Even that will be a decent stadium for it's requirements when the redevlopment is complete.

northstandhibby
29-05-2016, 12:21 PM
It's funny how there has barely been a post criticising our national stadium following our last two visits- two wins, with the second of those now the most celebrated Hibs victory of all. For all its faults, it's still Hampden Park, one of footballs most famous grounds. Rightly or wrongly, the post match scenes have stamped a bit of Hibernian identity on the old ground, and the final itself will live long in the memory for neutral observers as a classic.

Definitely agree with that.

However the National Stadium Hampden should now be demolished and built outside Sectarian City that is Glasgow. A brand new purpose built modern stadium should be built somewhere more neutral. It would attract new housing pubs clubs etc. Scotland needs new sectarian free young institutions with a new sectarian free soul.

Hampden should be consigned to history.

Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Hate Hampden and not because of the the memories good and bad. It's a terrible stadium with poor views from most areas. Access is poor and the facilities are meh.

Having been to the Concert Hall and the Hydro recently, new builds are simply better planned and organised, better seating, better facilities.

My most abiding memory is still my first visit in 72. Wading through a sea of pee under the North stand. Atmosphere apparently.

It's great passionate crowds that give the atmosphere. A decent team to watch and any "soulless new build" on a farm near Perth, Stirling, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness or Edinburgh and the stadium would be rocking.

That's just not true.

Just Jimmy
29-05-2016, 12:27 PM
It's a hole. I hate it. Hibs could have played that final on the moon and I'd have been delighted to be there. That doesn't detract from the fact hampden is crap.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hibs0666
29-05-2016, 12:35 PM

I could not imagine anything worse than a soul less new build national stadium in the middle of nowhere.

SunshineOnLeith
29-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Beaten only by Windsor Park as the worst national stadium in the UK and Ireland.

Even that will be a decent stadium for it's requirements when the redevlopment is complete.

Hampden's rubbish, but the Aviva is even worse.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 12:36 PM
I could not imagine anything worse than a soul less new build national stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Agreed. Like McDiarmid Park for example.

Pretty Boy
29-05-2016, 12:37 PM
I like the Aviva.

The area behind the goals isn't ideal but by neccesity rather than design. Personally I much prefered it to Hampden

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#FromTheCapital
29-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Yeah it's a dump. Had probably the best seats i've ever had at Hampden last week but a huge area of seating behind both sets of goals and in the corners are horrific, so far away from the pitch it's difficult to see exactly what's happening at times.

For the league cup final in March, my seats were in the corner of the north/east stands about 3 or 4 rows from the front. I wasn't able to see Fontaines goal or any action up the other side of the park, only started cheering because everyone else did.

lyonhibs
29-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Still a ****hole, done on the cheap and it shows.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-05-2016, 12:42 PM
About an hour from Edinburgh.

We've won our last two games there.

The local pubs love us and our money.

All the seats face the pitch.

Never had a problem with any of the views regardless of where I've sat and I've sat in all the stands.

Can have a half time smoke outside the east stand.

It's not brilliant but nowhere as bad as some folk make out.

Spot on.

RoYO!
29-05-2016, 12:45 PM
That's just not true.

I think it is.

O'Rourke3
29-05-2016, 12:51 PM
That's just not true.

Alright some seating with great views?

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Alright some seating with great views?

What stadium in the world offers great views from every seat? The majority of the Stands at Hampden offer excellent views, the North and South in particular. I agree with the rest of your post on its shortcomings, but there is little wrong with the aspects, in my opinion.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 12:57 PM
I think it is.

I've been to Hapmden countless times and never once had a **** view of the game. Unfortunate as that has been in most instances. Where were you sitting last Saturday that was so bad?

O'Rourke3
29-05-2016, 01:18 PM
I've been to Hapmden countless times and never once had a **** view of the game. Unfortunate as that has been in most instances. Where were you sitting last Saturday that was so bad?

South Lower. Harder to get perspective on the game low down.

I had a great view of the two Hendo corners. On both occasions the ball in the net was only confirmed when it hit the back.

The RC Final, West terrace around KKK on an angle - difficult to see detail from distance.

A clear views of the pitch isn't necessarily a good view of the game. At the back of the East or West you are as far from the goals as the goalie in them is from his opponents. Putting seats on an old terrace was never going to be the answer unless the question was - where can we put a neutral venue in Glasgow to host Old Firm games?

While it's still there, I'll keep going though.....

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 01:28 PM
South Lower. Harder to get perspective on the game low down.

I had a great view of the two Hendo corners. On both occasions the ball in the net was only confirmed when it hit the back.

The RC Final, West terrace around KKK on an angle - difficult to see detail from distance.

A clear views of the pitch isn't necessarily a good view of the game. At the back of the East or West you are as far from the goals as the goalie in them is from his opponents. Putting seats on an old terrace was never going to be the answer unless the question was - where can we put a neutral venue in Glasgow to host Old Firm games?

While it's still there, I'll keep going though.....

I agree that the seats closer to the pitch offer a poor view. I've experienced this at a lot of big stadiums, so it's not exclusive to Hampden. Murrayfield (where I had a rank view of the Barcelona friendly, only time I've been in the place), The Emirates and Old Traffird are three prime examples.
I don't see how a clear view of the pitch isn't a good view of the game and have to disagree to an extent. And Hibs.net is covered in videos taken by punters who appear to have had quite magnificent views of the best parts of the game!

Holmesdale Hibs
29-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Still a ****hole. Crap view from the majority of seats and a pain in the ass to get to.

Glory Lurker
29-05-2016, 02:05 PM
A hovel in a ridiculous location.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 02:07 PM
A hovel in a ridiculous location.

Can't disagree with that.

My_Wife_Camille
29-05-2016, 02:45 PM
I like Hampden. Pish stadium but it's the still the home of Scottish football and has quite a bit of history about it.

Also glad we won it there and not at Celtic Park or Ibrox

Billy Whizz
29-05-2016, 02:50 PM
I think the SFA/Queens Park deal runs out in 2020, but can't see them doing anything else other than renewing it

Waxy
29-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Glad we got to win it at hampden but i reckon it'll be finished soon. Sell it. Build Queens park their own ground. Build a national stadium for around 75000 around the Stirling area where you dont have to walk a half marathon from bus to stadium.

Keith_M
29-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Just for some perspective:

What's actually bad about it is it's a stadium re-built on the cheap, retaining many of the downsides, such as the massive distance from behind the goals to the pitch, as well as a very shallow slope of the stands, meaning an even worse view for many (though not for all).

It's also quite small for a national stadium, e.g. Wales has a stadium roughly 50% larger even though they have over 1 million fewer residents. It's also not the best stadium for access.

However, it's unfair to call it a hovel.

A hovel would be a decent description for somewhere like Central Park in Cowdenbeath. Hampden historically deserved that term but it doesn't now. It has decent seats, is all covered with no pillars and hasn't had red-ash terraces for over 30 years.

Glory Lurker
29-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Just for some perspective:

What's actually bad about it is it's a stadium re-built on the cheap, retaining many of the downsides, such as the massive distance from behind the goals to the pitch, as well as a very shallow slope of the stands, meaning an even worse view for many (though not for all).

It's also quite small for a national stadium, e.g. Wales has a stadium roughly 50% larger even though they have over 1 million fewer residents. It's also not the best stadium for access.

However, it's unfair to call it a hovel.

A hovel would be a decent description for somewhere like Central Park in Cowdenbeath. Hampden historically deserved that term but it doesn't now. It has decent seats, is all covered with no pillars and hasn't had red-ash terraces for over 30 years.

Don't go spoiling my rant with that perspective nonsense! :-) Okay, relatively speaking, compared with other European modern stadia, it is a hovel!

Tell you what else gets me - what's the story with the Peru free kick photae in the south stand concourse? No wonder we've no qualified for anything since they built that thing!

Keith_M
29-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Don't go spoiling my rant with that perspective nonsense! :-) Okay, relatively speaking, compared with other European modern stadia, it is a hovel!

Tell you what else gets me - what's the story with the Peru free kick photae in the south stand concourse? No wonder we've no qualified for anything since they built that thing!

Sorry!

I used to live round the corner from the stadium and it has a fantastic wee cafe under the South Stand.

:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
29-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Still an absolute joke of a stadium! And a fiver for a burger. What's with that? :grr:

Pre match cup of tea and a steak bake from Greggs for a couple of quid! :aok:

Glory Lurker
29-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Sorry!

I used to live round the corner from the stadium and it has a fantastic wee cafe under the South Stand.

:greengrin

In fairness, the museum is excellent too. :-)

Sir David Gray
29-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Horrible stadium, terrible design and too small for a national stadium.

Speedy
29-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Have you seen the state of it!? It's got massive patches of turf missing. Inexcusable!

hibs0666
29-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Glad we got to win it at hampden but i reckon it'll be finished soon. Sell it. Build Queens park their own ground. Build a national stadium for around 75000 around the Stirling area where you dont have to walk a half marathon from bus to stadium.

Stirling does not have the infrastructure to support crowds of 75000.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2016, 06:43 PM
No issues at all with the location of Hampden, personally. Plenty of parking if you aren't turning up on the last night and really good rail links which are generally managed very well on a matchday. However the stadium itself was a botched job done on the cheap as we all know. With the amount of space from Lesser Hampden right the way to the back of the East Stand, there's scope for a seriously decent 65k+ rectangular stadium. Seems bizarre that Hampden could be such a mess when only a few years the Millennium Stadium was built, which even now is probably the best stadium in the UK apart from the new Wembley. That said, as long as UEFA and FIFA keep dishing out the higher grades to Hampden then the SFA won't be pushed in to taking any action.

hibsdaft
29-05-2016, 06:53 PM
bulldoze the ends where the view is worst, and make it rectangular, as suggested above.

(((Fergus)))
29-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Still a hole. Only problem with last Sat is we didn't raze it to the ground when we had the chance.

^^

tamig
29-05-2016, 07:19 PM
It's a **** hole and always will be unless it's razed and rebuilt properly.

greenlex
29-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Its piss poor. The goals are flimsy. They bend and break far too easily and the turf comes up like its some sort of rug.

Hillsidehibby
29-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Not done on the cheap actually. £52M spent doing that mess. Millennium Stadium Cardiff cost £80M.

Hibs Class
29-05-2016, 08:19 PM

This would be the sensible option, but unfortunately common sense and the SFA are seldom bedfellows. The SFA is blinkered in its view that Scottish football has to be centred in Glasgow and catering for supporters, Glasgow-based or otherwise, is well down its list of priorities. Compared to Murrayfield, it is poorer in every respect.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-05-2016, 08:26 PM
No issues at all with the location of Hampden, personally. Plenty of parking if you aren't turning up on the last night and really good rail links which are generally managed very well on a matchday. However the stadium itself was a botched job done on the cheap as we all know. With the amount of space from Lesser Hampden right the way to the back of the East Stand, there's scope for a seriously decent 65k+ rectangular stadium. Seems bizarre that Hampden could be such a mess when only a few years the Millennium Stadium was built, which even now is probably the best stadium in the UK apart from the new Wembley. That said, as long as UEFA and FIFA keep dishing out the higher grades to Hampden then the SFA won't be pushed in to taking any action.

:agree:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the location - I've been to a lot of major stadia & cant think of many others where you can stroll 10 mins to the station after a cup final, straight on the train & arrive in city centre 10 mins later, the idea that something in a field next to a motorway at Stirling or somewhere would be more accessible is laughable. Same with number of pubs within close walking distance - much better than most major stadiums.

hibs0666
29-05-2016, 08:32 PM
This would be the sensible option, but unfortunately common sense and the SFA are seldom bedfellows. The SFA is blinkered in its view that Scottish football has to be centred in Glasgow and catering for supporters, Glasgow-based or otherwise, is well down its list of priorities. Compared to Murrayfield, it is poorer in every respect.

It would be utter madness.

Greencore
29-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Hampden needs redeveloped or we should move to murrayfield.

jgl07
29-05-2016, 08:45 PM
When did Hibs last lose to Rangers at Hampden?

1979?

I can recall the Semifinal of the League Cup when Keith Wright scored, the League Cup Semifinal when Stephen Dobbie scored, not to mention last week.

Carheenlea
29-05-2016, 08:56 PM
:agree:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the location - I've been to a lot of major stadia & cant think of many others where you can stroll 10 mins to the station after a cup final, straight on the train & arrive in city centre 10 mins later, the idea that something in a field next to a motorway at Stirling or somewhere would be more accessible is laughable. Same with number of pubs within close walking distance - much better than most major stadiums.

:top marks

It's not the greatest of stadiums, can accept that, but have never got the criticism of location. Easy access by train or car. Walked it to city centre a couple of times, and whilst a decent hike, nothing untoward when you throw in a pit stop at The Brazen Head..

NYHibby
29-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Easter Road is in a much worse location than Hampden. Further from train stations, less accessible by bus, less parking and in a rougher neighbourhood. If you think Scotland should leave Hampden because of the location then you should also be calling for Hibs to leave Easter Road.

Many of the anti-Hampden posts seem to be driven by anti-Glasgow bigotry rather than actual problems with the stadium.

Hi Heid Yin
29-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Hampden is still a dump and a terrible stadium, with restricted viewing and a pitch too far from spectators.
It's in a God forsaken place miles from anywhere, where the walk to and from it is depressing and grim and on occasion life-threatening with the O.F. hordes waiting in doorways and outside dodgy pubs en route.
I'd happily push the dynamite plunger and watch it collapse in on itself.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Not done on the cheap actually. £52M spent doing that mess. Millennium Stadium Cardiff cost £80M.
In that case seriously questions should have been asked at the time and maybe still should be?

Caversham Green
29-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I used to love the old Hampden even though it was a dump - did you know that when it was built it was the biggest stadium since the Colosseum? Sadly, because they've adapted it rather than rebuilding the new one has neither the charisma of an old stadium nor the comfort of a new one. Wales got it right with the Millennium - share with rugby in the capital of the country. If only we had a stadium like that.

Carheenlea
29-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Easter Road is in a much worse location than Hampden. Further from train stations, less accessible by bus, less parking and in a rougher neighbourhood. If you think Scotland should leave Hampden because of the location then you should also be calling for Hibs to leave Easter Road.

Many of the anti-Hampden posts seem to be driven by anti-Glasgow bigotry rather than actual problems with the stadium.

Easter Road is a gentle 15 minute walk at the very most from city centre - and closer to the city centre than Tynecastle and Murrayfield. A good working class part of town, rough it is not.

connerg
29-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Just happy we won.

Hibs Class
29-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Think calling it bigotry is a bit strong? I've been to lots of football grounds and I cannot think of one that has worse views than hampden, specifically from behind the goals. For a national stadium, I think it is embarrassing and as I said earlier, Murrayfield is vastly superior, everything that Hampden isn't.

brog
29-05-2016, 09:54 PM

Was very much done on the cheap & was done piecemeal. Millennium Stadium was done some time later, was a well managed project but still cost £120m. Wembley on the other hand!

hibs0666
29-05-2016, 10:26 PM
hampden is still a dump and a terrible stadium, with restricted viewing and a pitch too far from spectators.
It's in a god forsaken place miles from anywhere, where the walk to and from it is depressing and grim and on occasion life-threatening with the o.f. Hordes waiting in doorways and outside dodgy pubs en route.

lol

greenlad
30-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Was very much done on the cheap & was done piecemeal. Millennium Stadium was done some time later, was a well managed project but still cost £120m. Wembley on the other hand!

Hampden's South Stand and the Millenium were both done in 96-99 timeframe and were opened within a month of each other.

Iggy Pope
30-05-2016, 06:34 AM

Woah. A good number of us were brought up around there you cheeky ex-yank that sounds like a Yam!

lyonhibs
30-05-2016, 06:36 AM
Hampden is still a dump and a terrible stadium, with restricted viewing and a pitch too far from spectators.
It's in a God forsaken place miles from anywhere, where the walk to and from it is depressing and grim and on occasion life-threatening with the O.F. hordes waiting in doorways and outside dodgy pubs en route.

:tee hee::tee hee:

Harrowing stuff eh?

I've got no issue with location or the surrounding area whatsoever. It's the stadium itself that is very, very poor for a national stadium. Do it properly, with steeper stands closer to the pitch and we'd be jamming.

Talk of some purpose build stadium in a field near Stirling is lunacy.

jgl07
30-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Hampden, Wembley and the Millennium Stadium were all disasters in their own way from a project management perspective.

The contractors, John Laing, lost so much money on the Millennium Stadium that they nearly went bust and were sold for one pound to Ray O'Rourke. That hardly makes it a well managed project!

Hampden is owned and the redevelopment was organised by an amateur football club and it showed! It was done in phases so it was not possible to change the shape or the general configuration. Hence we ended up with a stadium with poor sightlines and half the attendees being a long way from the action.

Wembley was subject to multiple disputes involving the Consulting Engineers (Mott McDonald), the Contractor (Multiplex) and the steelwork supplier (Cleveland Bridge). It was finished years late.

G B Young
30-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Where we won the cup is irrelevant. I still think Hampden is a poor excuse for a national stadium. Seats effectively bolted on to the terracing on three sides, ensuring the views are sub-standard. Appropriately enough it's housed a dire national football team for some 20 years now.

seanoheimhin
31-05-2016, 03:17 PM
I live in and love Glasgow, so no bias from me on that front.

The place is a toilet. Of 50,000 seats, barely 10k have a good view.

It's ugly as sin and hard to get to, and most people I know believe the same irrespective of their teams and their experiences there.

Dashing Bob S
31-05-2016, 03:32 PM
If there was one thing that tarnished our cup victory, it was winning it in that slum. Great cup wins should happen inside football stadiums.

barcahibs
31-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Likewise, I lived in Glasgow for years so no bias from me... The stadium is an utter dump and a total embarrassment, it should have been torn down years ago.

A new stadium, somewhere central (Stirling seems to fit the bill, has it not already got some sporting excellence centres?) with decent transport links and away from Glasgow with its ridiculous notions of "Rangers (who they?)" and "Celtc" ends.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Still a hole.

Keith_M
31-05-2016, 04:48 PM

It says on Wikipedia £121.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Stadium

If true, that's nearly two and a half times the cost of Hampden.

Phil MaGlass
31-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Hampdumps a ****hole. Stadium should be moved to Stirling or Murrayfield. Used to love it but its old and not fit for purpose. Bad views, terrible to get to and from, toilets are a joke the list is endless. Time for Heroes at the SFA, grow a pair, put yir resources together with a broke RFU and you come up with a top notch stadium worthy of modern day sporting facilities.

Kavinho
01-06-2016, 09:30 AM

Nowt wrong with the home team looking after the home fans first and foremost.