PDA

View Full Version : Your Greatest Hibs Manager?

Waxy
28-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Who's the greatest Hibs manager in your time watching Hibs?

Pete
28-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Alan Stubbs

Nicho87
28-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Stubbs

Hibernia&Alba
28-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Not sure about greatest, but Mowbray is my favourite. His team was so good to watch.

Greencore
28-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Stubbs

Argylehibby
28-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Turnbull

Diclonius
28-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Stubbs.

ballengeich
28-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Turnbull

Callum7
28-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Stubbs

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Has to be Stubbs in my time, winning the Scottish cup is an incredible achievement. Mowbrays team was probably better, though.

FifeHibs
28-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Stubbs

Mowbray had great team, he hasn't done much since Hibs though.

High-On-Hibs
28-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Bobby Williamson

Jim44
28-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Turnbull.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Undoubtedly Alan Stubbs.

He oversaw the best day of my life and no other manager of Hibs has even come close to giving me the feeling I experienced last Saturday.

SlickShoes
28-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Alan Stubbs, even though just three weeks ago I was asking him to pack his bags, shows why I am posting on here and he's winning us the Scottish Cup!

lord bunberry
28-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Stubbs has given me the best day of my football supporting life. Others have flattered to deceive, but not delivered.

Hiber-nation
28-05-2016, 06:52 PM
7-0 v hearts, 6-1 v Sporting Lisbon etc etc. No Scottish Cup but it's got to be Turnbull.

Crammond Hibee
28-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Turnbull

SaulGoodman
28-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Stubbs

TheReg!
28-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Stubbs:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Pat Stanton.

B.H.F.C
28-05-2016, 07:24 PM
In my life time it's Stubbs.

Wouldn't have been the answer if you'd asked me 8 days ago.

Waxy
28-05-2016, 07:25 PM
First match i remember as an 8 year old was v Strasbourg in the old EUFA cup.Went regular after that and Turnbull was manager.From what i remember we were pretty awful and got relegated soon after.Turnbull may have came in and done really well at first but it did go wrong somewhere.Stubbs by a fair bit for me.

cmcd
28-05-2016, 07:27 PM
In my life time it's Stubbs.

Wouldn't have been the answer if you'd asked me 8 days ago.

Turnbull without a shadow of doubt

Just Jimmy
28-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Stubbs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just Alf
28-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Turnbull, but very closley followed by Stubbs (who i no longer want to leave!) ... Mowbray's no too bad either mind :-) (or at least his team)

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Glory Lurker
28-05-2016, 07:34 PM
So many heartaches over the years, but none ever made me cry. I cried at Hampden last week. That is the difference, that is why it has to be Stubbs.

Bobo
28-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Turnbull

Pretty Boy
28-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Stubbs.

I love Tony Mowbray and his Hibs side was my favourite period supporting Hibs.

However Stubbs gave me the best weekend of my life and for that he tops the list.

CentreLine
28-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Would have said an easy Eddie Turnbull but the more I think about it I wonder if it wasn't Willie MacFarlane's spadework that resulted in his success????? He did bring Joe Baker back for a cameo role too 👍

ShinyFantastic
28-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Alan Stubbs is the man responsible for the best day of my life and my dream becoming a reality. Without question, Stubbsy gets my vote.

Wilson
28-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Followed hibs from the Miller years. There isn't much between McLeish, Mowbray, and Stubbs for me.

McLeish got us out of the (equivalent) chamionship division with a (then) record points haul. Assembled a team that could (should) have put a decent Athens side out of Europe over two legs. His side with Latapy in it might also have had a good chance of winning the Scottish cup.

Mowbray motivated a young side to produce some of the best football I have seen and produce it consistently against the top sides on a more regular basis than Stubbs has had to. It is an arguable point that it is his team that Collins guided to our CIS win.

Stubbs and his team have an eye for a player. His record in cup competitions, against Premier opposition with a team fighting in the Championship, is second to none. It is an Alan Stubbs managed team that finally won us the Scottish cup.

I'd like to say Stubbs but the fact that we're still in the Championship prevents me from calling it. Certainly if he stays he has the potential to be the best of them.

Just Alf
28-05-2016, 07:52 PM
There isn't much between McLeish, Mowbray, and Stubbs for me.

McLeish got us out of the (equivalent) chamionship division with a (then) record points haul. Assembled a team that could (should) have put a decent Athens side out of Europe over two legs. His side with Latapy in it might also have had a good chance of winning the Scottish cup.

Mowbray motivated a young side to produce some of the best football I have seen and produce it consistently against the top sides on a more regular basis than Stubbs has had to. It is an arguable point that it is his team that Collins guided to our CIS win.

Stubbs and his team have an eye for a player. His record in cup competitions, against Premier opposition with a team fighting in the Championship, is second to none. It is an Alan Stubbs managed team that finally won us the Scottish cup.

I'd like to say Stubbs but the fact that we're still in the Championship prevents me from calling it. Certainly if he stays he has the potential to be the best of them.
Actually, thinking about it i agree.... forgot about McLeish!

O'Rourke3
28-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Without The Tornados I could easily have stopped watching football. Alan Stubbs gave me my best day as a supporter. Ned put the club in my DNA. Turnbull.

northstandhibby
28-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Has to be Alan Stubbs. Simply for being the Hibernian Manager who won this wonderful club the Holy Grail.

Unbelievable achievement against all the odds. In the same year the hearts fans started taunting us with 'hibsing it' we only go on to lift the Scottish Cup. I bet that hurts hertz!

Hibernian Scottish Cup Winner 2016.

mghamilton1
28-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Stubbs

PapillonVert
28-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Who's the greatest Hibs manager in your time watching Hibs?

Without a shadow of a doubt,

Eddie Turnbull.

Mikers110
28-05-2016, 08:21 PM
As a thirteen year old Turnbull gave me the best day of my young life in 1972 and it has to be remembered that we hadn't won a cup for over seventy years. And that's when the league cup was, and still is, to my mind, a big deal; none of the wee cup nonsense that our rivals across the city indulge in. But that day doesn't even come close to last week, and the emotion that enveloped the Hibs end at full time. So for me it has to be Stubbs, with Ned a very close second.

blaikie
28-05-2016, 08:22 PM
McLeish is the reason I became a Hibs fan
Stubbs edges him though .... Last week was simply amazing!!

hibby6270
28-05-2016, 08:26 PM
For the "oldies" on here it would be Turnbull.
For the youngsters I understand them saying Stubbs. Don't disagree he's delivered the greatest day in all our lives.
Let's not forget Williamson who brought through the ranks Riordan, O'Connor, Brown, Whittaker, Thomson, etc.

ballengeich
28-05-2016, 10:10 PM
It would make the question more interesting if people who answer had to say who was the manager when they first watched us. How many of those who've said Stubbs ever saw the Tornados? Last Saturday was the best ever emotionally, but Turnbull's team was for a period of years, consistently of a higher standard than the current side. I hope Stubbs stays and matches ET's achievements over a longer term.

leftfield
28-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Jock Stein _ Beat rangers 3 times in the season plus defeating Real Madrid while playing really attractive football. Downside
was he left too soon.

The_Sauz
28-05-2016, 10:30 PM
For the "oldies" on here it would be Turnbull.
For the youngsters I understand them saying Stubbs. Don't disagree he's delivered the greatest day in all our lives.
Let's not forget Williamson who brought through the ranks Riordan, O'Connor, Brown, Whittaker, Thomson, etc.
Yes but he wanted to swap DR and SW for Bobby Mann who was with Inverness at the time! I remember Wee Fat Robbo talking about a few years ago on TV, and it only stopped going through when Deeks got an injury :agree:
Also BW was the man that got rid of Matty Jack and kept Jako Wiss :brickwall

SlickShoes
28-05-2016, 10:32 PM
I said Stubbs and my first manager i remember was Alex Miller.

Eyrie
28-05-2016, 10:33 PM
I'm old enough that I could claim Turnbull, but I was never taken to Easter Road as a child so can't say that I watched his teams.

So that means Stubbs for providing the Scottish Cup win.

Forza Fred
28-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Turnbull

But still ever forgive him for replacing O'Rourke with Harper...but hen I guess ALL managers make mistakes.

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Turnbull was before my time. Alex Miller was my first. Three way shoot out between McLeish, Mowbray and Stubbs. Mowbray was the best era for me. In my early 20's watching amazing football most weeks, however he did come in at a really good time with the golden era just breaking through. McLeish spent a packet to get us back up then left us in a bit of a mess. It's an easy one for me, Stubbs by an absolute mile. Last wkend was simply incredible.

Hi Heid Yin
28-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Eddie Turnbull by a long ways. He made our club one to be feared by not only European teams, but your top English sides of the day like Leeds United and Liverpool.
Hibs regularly competed for the championship and wins against Rangers were routine and taken as given. If not for one of the greatest club sides in Scottish history (Celtic) Hibs, I'm convinced, would have clinched a treble of championships.
Alan Stubbs of course is a legend too. Guiding a 2nd tier side to an Historic Scottish Cup victory will go down as a truly memorable occasion. Until Alan Stubbs guides us back to the premier league and to then challenging for the actual title regularly(as per Turnbull) as well as make us a club to be feared on the continent, then there is no real comparison and Turnbull stands head and shoulders above at present.

truehibernian
29-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Eddie (sentimental, fortunate to have spent time discussing football and life with him), McLeish (football and Derby record), Blackley (sheer attitude from the stands cemented my love for Hibs and being a Hibs fan) !

CapitalGreen
29-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Jock Stein _ Beat rangers 3 times in the season plus defeating Real Madrid while playing really attractive football. Downside
was he left too soon.

Stubbs has beaten Rangers 3 times in a season twice in a row.

The Real Madrid part not so much...

Billy McKirdy
29-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Alistair Stevenson.
Who? you may ask?
100% record so statistically he's the most successful manager 😉

J-C
29-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Without doubt Turnbull, finished 2nd in the league 74 and 75, the league cup in 72 and getting to the cup final that same year, plus the 0-7 game at Tynecastle.

Edinburgher
29-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately I was born in 76 so missed out on truly great Hibs teams so in my lifetime it would have to be Stubbs given his cup record although I really enjoyed Mowbray`s team.

Mibbes Aye
29-05-2016, 12:40 AM
It should have been John Collins

That 5-1 win in the LC Final.

That 81-19 game against Homfc - we rewrote the rules about how to own a team in a game.

That win at Ibrox when we closed it out passing it like we were Barca.

That sense that we were taking our game to the opposition and it was their problem how to deal with it - e.g. playing McCann at centre-half.

It should have been John Collins but it's not. How much do we regret that it didn't work out?

I'm too young for Turnbull. Miller is under-appreciated though there's reasonable criticism. I think if Stubbs had Mowbray's starting position he would have achieved more.

Jury's out but for me it's possibly Stubbs - if we go back up next season I would be confident in his abilities to give us our best league place in a long time.

monktonharp
29-05-2016, 12:44 AM
Turnbull

But still ever forgive him for replacing O'Rourke with Harper...but hen I guess ALL managers make mistakes.:agree: still turnbull, followed by Stubbs then Mowbray who had us playing sexy fitba' again.

Hibrandenburg
29-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Turnbull. He was Hibs, he is Hibs and always will be Hibs. Stubbs, will go down in history as the man who broke the hoodoo, but Eddie Turnbull lived and breathed Hibs.

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Turnbull was before my time. Alex Miller was my first. Three way shoot out between McLeish, Mowbray and Stubbs. Mowbray was the best era for me. In my early 20's watching amazing football most weeks, however he did come in at a really good time with the golden era just breaking through. McLeish spent a packet to get us back up then left us in a bit of a mess. It's an easy one for me, Stubbs by an absolute mile. Last wkend was simply incredible.

Sums it up for me. Although we're in the championship Stubbsy has not only achieved immortality by winning the Scottish but by doing it playing attractive football. Granted it hasn't always worked in games against the "lesser teams" but in the big games we've showed our worth all with a bunch of hibees and other plays that have bought in to the club and gave their all. Can't ask for more than that.

Hopefully as much of this squad can go on to fulfill their full potential and have outstanding successful careers

monkeyboy1875
29-05-2016, 03:19 AM

This for me
Mowbrays team was probably the first Hibs team that I'd watched that compared to my older relatives tales of how Hibs teams should be. But, Stubbs has delivered the ultimate prize for us, and I reckon that trumps anything since the famous five won the league. I doubt anyone still with us has been as happy as a Hibby as this last week. Stubbs and his players are legends 😀👍🏆🎉

snooky
29-05-2016, 03:54 AM
Ned - by a mile.

Crammond Hibee
29-05-2016, 05:19 AM
Eddie Turnbull by a long ways. He made our club one to be feared by not only European teams, but your top English sides of the day like Leeds United and Liverpool.
Hibs regularly competed for the championship and wins against Rangers were routine and taken as given. If not for one of the greatest club sides in Scottish history (Celtic) Hibs, I'm convinced, would have clinched a treble of championships.
Alan Stubbs of course is a legend too. Guiding a 2nd tier side to an Historic Scottish Cup victory will go down as a truly memorable occasion. Until Alan Stubbs guides us back to the premier league and to then challenging for the actual title regularly(as per Turnbull) as well as make us a club to be feared on the continent, then there is no real comparison and Turnbull stands head and shoulders above at present.

Spot on

Steve20
29-05-2016, 06:43 AM
How I've felt since last Saturday means Stubbs could possibly edge it. But the time I enjoyed going to the football over the course of a season or two was the McLeish team.
L

Northernhibee
29-05-2016, 08:01 AM
In my lifetime Stubbs for giving me the best day I've ever had as a Hibs supporter.

mim
29-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Ned

29-05-2016, 09:01 AM
I unfortunately wasn't around to say I had the pleasure of watching Turnballs Tornadoes. In my life time, it has to be Stubbs. Not a perfect manager by any stretch of the imagination but he gave me the best day of my life last saturday.

Bostonhibby
29-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Eddie Turnbull.

Tom Hart RIP
29-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Without The Tornados I could easily have stopped watching football. Alan Stubbs gave me my best day as a supporter. Ned put the club in my DNA. Turnbull.

Agree 100%. Those fans who didn't see the Tornadoes at their peak missed out big time. I've never seen any team play the game as well as we did for about six months between the 5-3 dryburgh cup until the East fife game where JB had his leg broken.

Tom Hart RIP
29-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Some of the football we played under Alex McLeish was impressive as well though

erin go bragh
29-05-2016, 10:01 AM
It was between Mcleish and Mowbray but Stubbs just done a Gray .

Sas_The_Hibby
29-05-2016, 10:30 AM
It's often assumed that if you are old enough to have watched Hibs in the 70s, as I am, that your greatest manager would be Eddie Turnbull.

However, Turnbull's reputation is somewhat inflated, in my opinion, and largely based on individual games (e.g. the 7-0, Sporting Lisbon, League Cup Final 1972), rather than overall achievement. The team he had were largely already in place when he arrived though he did make them gel for a short period. Turnbull could be a great motivator and tactician at times but, if some stories are to be believed, he could also turn on players, to bad effect, and his tactics quickly became outmoded.

Celtic were, of course, a really great side at the time, which made winning the league difficult; but we only finished second twice, one of those times behind Rangers. The real reason we didn't win the league during that period was that, great as we were to watch, we were still far too prone to dropping points in 'bread and butter' games and losing crunch matches against Celtic. We certainly weren't the forerunners of Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen of the eighties, for example, and never had the consistency or steel they had.

During the Turnbull years, we won one League Cup, two Drybrough Cups, got through to one European quarter final and appeared in two Scottish Cup finals and one other League Cup final - OK but hardly phenomenal.

The last 4 years or so of Turnbull's tenure were unremarkable and culminated in us being relegated in 1980, largely (in my view) because Turnbull had very fixed ideas and was unable to adapt to the modern game.

Oh, and my vote is for Bob Shankly by the way. Jock Stein was, of course, at Easter Road for too short a time to make a real impact.

Sas_The_Hibby
29-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Some of the football we played under Alex McLeish was impressive as well though

:agree: Definitely - McLeish also had to build a team to get promoted and then kick on in the top division. Left us with a decent legacy IMO.

SJM
29-05-2016, 10:35 AM
:agree: Definitely - McLeish also had to build a team to get promoted and then kick on in the top division. Left us with a decent legacy IMO.

He left us with the Tank and other ***** that had us in deep ****.

Stubbs for me.

Sas_The_Hibby
29-05-2016, 10:37 AM
He left us with the Tank and other ***** that had us in deep ****.

Stubbs for me.

:greengrin Yeah, fair point. He also benefited from much more cash to spend on players being available.

SJM
29-05-2016, 10:48 AM
:greengrin Yeah, fair point. He also benefited from much more cash to spend on players being available.

Very true, got us into the ***** that Blobby kind of sorted. His work at hibs because he's a fat Hun was very under appreciated. He also looked like he hated the job which didn't help.

No taking away the promotion year and the subsequent two years that followed. I remember goin to the pink dump in the first game of the season and we killed them! Finished 0-0 but set us up for 6-2. Agathe missed an open goal when he stumbled. Sauzees first game as sweeper, he was perfection.

Lewis97
29-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Turnbull from both reading about it and from what my dad and grandad say. i love Stubbs but I can't just ignore the failure to win promotion for two years in a row and proclaim him greatest ever.

ozhibs
29-05-2016, 02:05 PM
7-0 v hearts, 6-1 v Sporting Lisbon etc etc. No Scottish Cup but it's got to be Turnbull.

Definitely Turnbull although Stubbs will always be a legend.

AgentDaleCooper
29-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Stubbs

Andy74
29-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Stubbs undoubtedly a legend due to this particular achievement but on the down side our league placing is probably our lowest ever, so no, not amongst our greatest ever managers.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Eddie Turnbull and my old boy are the only reason I'm posting this.

SJM
29-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Turnbull from both reading about it and from what my dad and grandad say. i love Stubbs but I can't just ignore the failure to win promotion for two years in a row and proclaim him greatest ever.

I've been to two finals with your dad. I think he might have changed his mind now :)

SJM
29-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Stubbs undoubtedly a legend due to this particular achievement but on the down side our league placing is probably our lowest ever, so no, not amongst our greatest ever managers.

This particular achievement? Are you ****ting me?

It's theeee yes, theee achievement, the one each and every one of us have dreamed of all our lives. I don't care we are not playing Killie or Aberdeen next year. We won, Stubbs won us the Scottish cup. Biggest legend of them all.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2016, 02:40 PM

It's theeee yes, theee achievement, the one each and every one of us have dreamed of all our lives. I don't care we are not playing Killie or Aberdeen next year. We won, Stubbs won us the Scottish cup. Biggest legend of them all.
Bigger than the achievement of winning the league 3 times in 5 years?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Andy74
29-05-2016, 02:42 PM

It is an amazing achievement.

You can't give someone with his league record the title of greatest manager ever though. A legend, of course.

SJM
29-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Bigger than the achievement of winning the league 3 times in 5 years?

I'm positive the feeling I got when we scored the winner on sat beats that, yes.

He's done what any living hibee has ever seen before let alone managed. Greatest bar none.

SJM
29-05-2016, 03:01 PM
It is an amazing achievement.

You can't give someone with his league record the title of greatest manager ever though. A legend, of course.

If you could swap gjp storming the league league for our Scottish cup win would you? He still lost, when it mattered to an Andy Dow stunner. Mowbray to a god awful Arab side, JC even worse over two games to Dunfermline. Stubbs has done the impossible. League I couldn't care less.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm positive the feeling I got when we scored the winner on sat beats that, yes.

He's done what any living hibee has ever seen before let alone managed. Greatest bar none.
So how many league titles would match a SC win in your eyes?

Andy74
29-05-2016, 03:21 PM
If you could swap gjp storming the league league for our Scottish cup win would you? He still lost, when it mattered to an Andy Dow stunner. Mowbray to a god awful Arab side, JC even worse over two games to Dunfermline. Stubbs has done the impossible. League I couldn't care less.

I think you might be confusing greatest manager with greatest individual managerial achievements.

SJM
29-05-2016, 03:43 PM
So how many league titles would match a SC win in your eyes?

Ask me when we win a league in this current climate where it's a lot harder to win anything.

SJM
29-05-2016, 03:43 PM
I think you might be confusing greatest manager with greatest individual managerial achievements.

True. Change it to Jack Stein then.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2016, 03:56 PM
True. Change it to Jack Stein then.
Other than the Summer Cup, Jack Stein won Jock **** with us :)

Hibernia&Alba
29-05-2016, 04:02 PM

If only he'd stayed. What a talent.

northstandhibby
29-05-2016, 04:07 PM

The Hertz are now all blaming Robbie for not winning the Summer Cup. They would take any Cup just now. Robbie must go!

Glory Glory

Thecat23
29-05-2016, 04:14 PM

I agree with this. Stubbs has now written himself into the history books as a legend. But the league form wasn't great. I do think we'd be a lot closer if we hadn't had the cup runs and that's why the league must be No.1 priority no matter what.

Stokesy's on fire
29-05-2016, 04:26 PM
My fav hibs manager is Alex Mcleish! The 6-2 game was one hell of a night.

banarc7062
29-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Hugh Shaw then Eddie Turnbull :flag:

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2016, 06:23 PM
I suppose its a bit like strikers ..... a guy can score 20 goals a season from inside the 6 yard box, but the goals you remember are from the guy who scores 3 from 25 yards. For me, just for giving me the greatest high of my life as a Hibby it has to be Stubbs.

There was one of the Turnbull / Stubbs comparisons where the poster said Stubbs would have to make us a force in Europe like Turnbull did to be considered a great manager .... I would suggest that in Turnbull's era that was ( though still a great achievement ) still considerably easier than it would be for a manager of any Scottish club in the modern era.

As an example ... I remember Lawrie Reilly being critical of Hibs inability to challenge consistently in the league. What Lawrie was forgetting was that unlike in his era its near impossible for a club like Hibs to keep a good team together.

Turnbull ........ 13 years
Reilly ............ 12 years
Smith ........... 18 years
Ormond ........ 15 years
Johnstone .. ( 1st spell ) ... 6 years

If Hibs had players of that quality now how long would we be able to keep them together? Its apples and oranges, just as it is comparing Stubbs realistic possibilities with Turnbulls.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2016, 06:58 PM

You are being daft.

rosco-hibee
29-05-2016, 07:02 PM
How many would have sacrificed promotion over the big cup at the start of the season? Be honest now.

Stubbs has achieved what we (and a generation passed) all coveted more than anything.

Stubbs for me without a shadow of a doubt. Through Scottish cup tinted glasses admittedly.

Jonnyboy
29-05-2016, 07:13 PM

Hard to compare when it's unlikely you experienced both

Sir David Gray
29-05-2016, 07:15 PM
How many would have sacrificed promotion over the big cup at the start of the season? Be honest now.

Stubbs has achieved what we (and a generation passed) all coveted more than anything.

Stubbs for me without a shadow of a doubt. Through Scottish cup tinted glasses admittedly.

I wouldn't have done so at the start of the season and even as recently as two weeks ago, following the defeat to Falkirk, I wouldn't have swapped it.

Now I'm not so sure. Last weekend was the best weekend of my life, the game itself was the best game I've ever attended and the feeling I had when David Gray headed in the winning goal was the best feeling I have ever experienced in my life.

Not winning promotion is disappointing and the prospect of another season in the Championship is horrible but when we finally do go up, I won't feel anything like how I felt eight days ago at Hampden, or at the parade last Sunday.

heretoday
29-05-2016, 08:49 PM
I'm sure Jock Stein would have led Hibs to major honours had he stayed. His team was great to watch. We beat Real Madrid for heaven's sake!

Northernhibee
29-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Promotion will be us getting back to where we belong.

Last Saturday was the greatest and most meaningful victory in the history of Hibernian F.C. and I wouldn't swap it for the world.

Topographic Hibby
29-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Whose team I watched with my own eyes? Has to be Turnbull.

Gave us trophies (well, 1 major and a few minor ones!) despite a very, very strong Celtic side, beating they-who-should-not-be-named 0-7 and regular European nights. I watched Hibs hammer Sporting Lisbon 6-1......!!! Came within a hair's breadth of winning the Cup in '79.

But Stubbs earns a special mention for last week.

The Kaiser
29-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Stubbs for the Scottish

Collins for the league cup

Mowbray for his football.

Let's hope we don't wait another ten years for a cup win!

Williamson was gash although he blooded some of the youngsters that did well for us so he deserves some sort of shout.

hfcnic
30-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Stubbs without a doubt :gwa:

superfurryhibby
30-05-2016, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=Sas_The_Hibby;4711187]It's often assumed that if you are old enough to have watched Hibs in the 70s, as I am, that your greatest manager would be Eddie Turnbull.

However, Turnbull's reputation is somewhat inflated, in my opinion, and largely based on individual games (e.g. the 7-0, Sporting Lisbon, League Cup Final 1972), rather than overall achievement. The team he had were largely already in place when he arrived though he did make them gel for a short period. Turnbull could be a great motivator and tactician at times but, if some stories are to be believed, he could also turn on players, to bad effect, and his tactics quickly became outmoded.

Celtic were, of course, a really great side at the time, which made winning the league difficult; but we only finished second twice, one of those times behind Rangers. The real reason we didn't win the league during that period was that, great as we were to watch, we were still far too prone to dropping points in 'bread and butter' games and losing crunch matches against Celtic. We certainly weren't the forerunners of Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen of the eighties, for example, and never had the consistency or steel they had."

To put Turnbull into context. We finished 4,3,2,2,3 during his sides best period.

We separated the old firm on two occasions. The Hun had won the Eurpean Cup winners cup during that period and Celtic were reaching Eurpean Cup semi finals etc. Hibs played magnificent football, not just in a few games.

It is a fact that Turnbull's team didn't deliver onthe major honours. Lack of depth in the squad seems a key factor to me. When the top guys dropped out we just didn't have enough class to maintain the highest standard.

Turnbull signed key players, like Gordon and Edwards, he made O'Rourke a mainstay(after years of being on the periphery) and he brough through youngsters like Smith and Bremner who became great servants to Hibs.

We didn't win the league because we were competing with two sides who were very strong. Celtic in particular had players who were amongst the very best in Europe. We were also competing against incredible bias from referees.

Turnbulls team played the best football at ER since the title winning sides, nothing came close before or after.

In saying that, Stubbs has his place in our history marked out forever. He is the man who succeded where all other managers have failed (given that we were run by committee in 1887 and 1902).

pennyhibee
30-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Eddie Turnbull and my first trophy as a Hibee ,the '72 league cup win against the best ever celtic team and the performance I've ever seen from a Hibs side.Followed closely by Stubbs who has given us The Scottish Cup 2016 ,but as another poster said ,Ned because he made me want to support The Hibs all my life

snedzuk
30-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Eddie Turnbull and my first trophy as a Hibee ,the '72 league cup win against the best ever celtic team and the performance I've ever seen from a Hibs side.Followed closely by Stubbs who has given us The Scottish Cup 2016 ,but as another poster said ,Ned because he made me want to support The Hibs all my life

Dave ewing a candidate purely for his 'rangers are rubbish' quote!

Hibby soldier
30-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Stanton.

pennyhibee
30-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Dave ewing a candidate purely for his 'rangers are rubbish' quote!
John Collins for his " Hearts are just a pub team " quote and Eddie for his "Jock Stein is a bully but he disnae scare me "

PeeJay
30-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Eddie Turnbull - he had a great team that played top-class football on a consistent basis in the top league over years, against some of the finest clubs in Scotland/England and the rest of Europe. He won the League Cup against a great Celtic team. Stubbs, by contrast, got a lucky break to contest the Scottish Cup final against a very poor Rangers outfit - a team he couldn't compete with in the Championship. The Scottish Cup final was a great day and a terrific victory, but Stubbs has a long way to go before he can compete with Turnbull ...

Edinburgher
30-05-2016, 02:06 PM

I think that it was the players that let us down in the semi game with Dunfermline - they were piss poor and I think it had almost completely to do with continous souring of their relationship with JC and thus putting themselves and their dislike of him ahead of the club`s ambitions.

whiskyhibby
30-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Eddie Turnbull - he had a great team that played top-class football on a consistent basis in the top league over years, against some of the finest clubs in Scotland/England and the rest of Europe. He won the League Cup against a great Celtic team. Stubbs, by contrast, got a lucky break to contest the Scottish Cup final against a very poor Rangers outfit - a team he couldn't compete with in the Championship. The Scottish Cup final was a great day and a terrific victory, but Stubbs has a long way to go before he can compete with Turnbull ...

Completely agree and he was way ahead of his time in terms of his coaching methods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
30-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Alan Stubbs, Hibernian Legend.

shreevesy
31-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Turnbull for me

Peevemor
31-05-2016, 07:52 AM
For me you can't really compare managers pre and post Bosman. How would Eddie Turnbull (for example) have dealt with having to change half his squad every season? I doubt he'd have been able to keep the tornados together for so long (3-4 years?) under today's rules. How would Alan Stubbs or GJP deal with changing only 1 or 2 players per season? We may have our opinions but we'll never know.