PDA

View Full Version : Win was for the younger fans too

JimBHibees
28-05-2016, 08:42 AM
A lot been made and rightly so of the older fans who got to see the club gloriously winning the Scottish cup when a lot of friends and family members had passed before doing so. It is also massive for all the younger fans who in recent years have been put through the mill watching Hibs, that final and being constantly reminded of it, another final loss, the ignominy of relegation and the ultimate roller coaster of this year with a last minute cup defeat and losing out in the cruellest possible way in the play offs it hasn't been easy being a young Hibee. Huge pay back last Saturday for the young fans and great to see so many huge smiles at the game and parade.

The young fans that stuck with the team in difficult times deserve it as much as anybody. :flag:

CallumLaidlaw
28-05-2016, 08:55 AM
My son is 11 and I've been taking him since 2010 so before Saturday he'd had to deal with 3 cup final defeats, Malmo, a relegation and 2 playoff promotion failures. It's safe to say Saturday repaired all that.

JimBHibees
28-05-2016, 09:01 AM
My son is 11 and I've been taking him since 2010 so before Saturday he'd had to deal with 3 cup final defeats, Malmo, a relegation and 2 playoff promotion failures. It's safe to say Saturday repaired all that.

Similar to mine 14 and been through it all we also don't stay in Edinburgh so only really a handful of Hibs fans at school etc. Pay back for these kids big time.

Bishop Hibee
28-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Good point. My eldest boy is 20 and had been to 5 finals only seeing Hibs win once. Lucky 6 and he's still buzzing. Now for the Championship title.

WindyMiller
28-05-2016, 09:02 AM
My son has been taking our 8 y.o. great nephew this past 2 seasons and although the lad's been sorely tested, he keeps coming back. We're still trying to get him off the ceiling after last week.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

CallumLaidlaw
28-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Similar to mine 14 and been through it all we also don't stay in Edinburgh so only really a handful of Hibs fans at school etc. Pay back for these kids big time.

Yeah same here, we're in Fife so Alex is the only Hibs fan in the class. Needless to say he enjoyed going into school on Monday.

lord bunberry
28-05-2016, 09:10 AM
I keep trying to tell my 5 year old daughter how lucky she is to have been there to see us finally win the cup, but she doesn't yet understand. I took lots of photos and I know that when she's older she'll be thankful that I took her.

jockodile
28-05-2016, 09:30 AM
The cup win is for all of us, age neutral, as much as the Famous Five championship winning sides of the 50s are, whether we were alive to see it or not.

ggth

Mr White
28-05-2016, 09:46 AM
:agree:

My son is 5, he's been going regularly since before his second birthday and he's obviously experienced a lot of lows in that time. Until last weekend the only real high points for him that he witnessed first hand supporting hibs were the 4 -0 thumping of sevco and the 2-0 win over hearts last season and the semi v saints in january. He's always optimistic about hibs before a game, regularly predicting we'll win 8 nil :greengrin

Since we moved to Ireland last year I've tried really hard to make sure hibs are still a part of his life. To see his wee face during the celebrations brought (another) tear to my eye. All week he's been wanting to watch the youtube clips and I know this is something he'll keep with him forever.

I'd tried to play down our chances to him beforehand so he wasn't too disappointed if we lost. At 2-1 I told him we just need to get the next goal. He replied if we do we'll get a winner too. I've been reminding him of that this week. I'm just so glad we got to witness something so special together, especially so soon after the league cup final disappointment.

JimBHibees
28-05-2016, 09:47 AM
The cup win is for all of us, age neutral, as much as the Famous Five championship winning sides of the 50s are, whether we were alive to see it or not.

ggth

Agree totally huge win for all however sometimes the younger ones aren't as well equipped to cope with as many cruel defeats in such a short space of time as older fans.

ben johnson
28-05-2016, 09:53 AM
It's always been my worry that the younger ones would have had enough of failure and the terrible atmosphere such as Ross County at Hampden. That's them welded to the Club now. A once in a life time experience.

I also forgot how nice Hampden is with the sun shining and thousands of delighted fans. Seemed like a different place altogether.

lyonhibs
28-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm 31, been to Hampden 7 times and seen us win exactly **** all in person. 😥

What do I win?? 😝

JollyGreenGiant
28-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Cannae believe my oldest son is 10, his first game was the CIS cup win in 2007 and he has now seen us win both cups!

Yuillsy
28-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Everyday I've picked my daughter up from school this week there's been a group of kids with scarves and jesters hats belting out the John McGinn song and Stokesy's on fire.

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2016, 05:48 PM
A lot been made and rightly so of the older fans who got to see the club gloriously winning the Scottish cup when a lot of friends and family members had passed before doing so. It is also massive for all the younger fans who in recent years have been put through the mill watching Hibs, that final and being constantly reminded of it, another final loss, the ignominy of relegation and the ultimate roller coaster of this year with a last minute cup defeat and losing out in the cruellest possible way in the play offs it hasn't been easy being a young Hibee. Huge pay back last Saturday for the young fans and great to see so many huge smiles at the game and parade.

The young fans that stuck with the team in difficult times deserve it as much as anybody. :flag:

Couldn't agree more mate .... the two kids who go with us were too young to be at the 2007 LC final and have been faced with a blizzard of rubbish since they started going over the last 5 years, that was for them every bit as much as us :aok:

7heaven
28-05-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm 31, been to Hampden 7 times and seen us win exactly **** all in person. 

What do I win?? 

It's the rubbish they have had to take off schoolmates for years.
Now they can tell them to GIRYT.

Onceinawhile
28-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Knowing my 6 year old (and my other two) won't have to grow up with this monkey on their back is a great feeling.

wookie70
28-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Middle age fans like me have surely had it worse than anyone. Too young for the FF and Tornadoes and had live through two decades of Hearts dominance. My son is 13 and daughter 11. Although they started off watching Fenton and Butchers teams they have now watched us in a good few semis and finals with us winning the big one and our fair share of semis. They have watched as we have equalled or bettered Hearts and the Rangers for the last few years and saw some great football under Stubbs. The wee buggers have had it easy!

O'Rourke3
28-05-2016, 09:30 PM
2 girls in 2004 the youngest asking "What colour are we?" - she was only 4. Elder at 8 showing no signs of fandom. Odd forrays and the wee one sees RC winning this year. So when both demanded to be there last week... Both now fully mental!

LustForLeith
30-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Mentioned it a few times of here so sorry for being a broken record but my nine year old son started the season as a Hearts fan and cheered on Rangers beating us in that cup defeat back in July.

Took him to the St Johnstone semi at Tynie and since then he's been a massive Hibs fan. He shed tears of sadness when we lost to Ross County and when we lost to Falkirk in the play off he ran to his bed crying.

When we lost to County didn't want to go to school. After the Rangers final he went back with his head held high and gladly out his hand up when aske who in the class supported Hubs and who had gone to see them. He's the only Hibs fan in his class and he goes to school in the centre in Edinburgh!

NOw he gets up every morning and watches the final highlights over and over again. He's obsessed with Hibs, asking stuff about the Famous Five to George Best and everything lose connected with Hibs.

Funny, for him the best game of the season was beating Hearts in the cup replay. That's when it really clicked, especially with Sunshine on Leith at the end.

Nowadays there's too much distractions from football for people, especially kids. It's become a luxury instead of a nesscesaty for many too. But I don't think that people understand the effects this cup win could have on generations of Hibs fans new and old.

Delighted for him but delighted for us all.:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

JimBHibees
30-05-2016, 09:11 AM
:agree:

My son is 5, he's been going regularly since before his second birthday and he's obviously experienced a lot of lows in that time. Until last weekend the only real high points for him that he witnessed first hand supporting hibs were the 4 -0 thumping of sevco and the 2-0 win over hearts last season and the semi v saints in january. He's always optimistic about hibs before a game, regularly predicting we'll win 8 nil :greengrin

Since we moved to Ireland last year I've tried really hard to make sure hibs are still a part of his life. To see his wee face during the celebrations brought (another) tear to my eye. All week he's been wanting to watch the youtube clips and I know this is something he'll keep with him forever.

I'd tried to play down our chances to him beforehand so he wasn't too disappointed if we lost. At 2-1 I told him we just need to get the next goal. He replied if we do we'll get a winner too. I've been reminding him of that this week. I'm just so glad we got to witness something so special together, especially so soon after the league cup final disappointment.

Great story superb. :flag:

jacomo
30-05-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm 31, been to Hampden 7 times and seen us win exactly **** all in person. 😥

What do I win?? 😝

Steer clear of Hampden from now on please, and I'll buy you a pint each time! :wink:

HibbyAndy
30-05-2016, 09:47 AM

THAT win was for my kids who were truly heartbroken losing the League cup final to Ross county in the most cruelest of ways, My kids were there when we went up to lift the cup in our biggest game ever. Delighted for my kids.

Joe's ice cream
30-05-2016, 10:16 AM
My 15 old son has been going home and away with me since he was about 7 - he like us all has suffered the pain and dispair.
Living in central Scotland his High School is full of either Rangers or Celtic fans so he's had to take all the abuse aimed single handedly- I started to shift over the years from wanting us to win for my joy over to his joy ( if that makes sense)
Having him beside me at Hampden last Saturday experiencing that euphoria with him only increased my level of pride, joy and ultimately amount of crying I did!!

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-05-2016, 10:57 AM
It was a tough sell for me to finally get the wee man totally hooked on Hibs.

He wasn't particularly interested in football until he was about 6 when he saw Chelsea lift the Champions league trophy! He became a Chelsea fan (I know) and his Hun supporting uncle (good guy tbf) bought him a Rangers top for his birthday, which I dispatched into the grey wheelie bin a couple of days later.

I started taking him to the odd Hibs game with mixed results (Malmo was one game we both went to although he wasn't too bothered about the result at that point) and then just as he started getting the Hibs bug we got relegated in the playoffs at ER. The wee man was on the opening of Sportscene that w/e filmed crying with his head in his hand.

This season we were both immersed on Hibs big time and it was great finally having a common bond with the wee man going to Hibs games singing songs in the car and waving our scarves and flags out the window. The best games for obvious reason were all the cup games, nearly all of which we attended and had a great time, especially at the derby game when we were both belting out 'SOL' and 'We're on our way'. I thought that the derby cup replay would be the best game we ever attended together which persuaded me to get an East Stand stone made with both our names engraved on the stone as a momento to that great day.

We were all geared up for the League cup final and I thought, realistically this will be our best chance of silverware for a long time to come and I need to take the wee man to witness it. Why wouldn't we win it anyway, we had beaten better teams than Ross County leading up to the final. My son however came down with tonsilitus and was really unwell. Although I still went to the final alone, I eventually persuaded the wife to get the wee man through to Glasgow as this was going to be the 'best day of his life'! Imagine how I felt going home after that result, the wee man was very ill and it took us 3.5 hours to get back home and we never had a drink in all that time.

I never went to the semi-final against Dundee UTD - it was all too much, too soon, even for me.

I must admit I didn't fancy taking the wee man to the SC final against Rangers either. I didn't want to risk putting him off for life but the closer we got to the game the more I sensed that something special was about to happen and I wasn't going to miss that for anything.

The look on his wee face at full time in the Scottish Cup final is the most beautiful, intense thing I have ever seen in my life and will never forget!

His birthday is in June and top of his wish list is a Hibs ST.

:hibees

Hi Heid Yin
30-05-2016, 11:15 AM

:top marksI couldn't agree more. Well said.