PDA

View Full Version : Tavernier/Kujabi

Northernhibee
27-05-2016, 09:22 PM
I've been watching the highlights over and over and over this last week, what strikes me is how there are almost parallels to the two. Both started out looking as great attacking full backs but as soon as a team figure out how you play against them they become a total liability.

I'm looking forward to next season, I wonder how many teams will copy what we did and try and turn him inside out the same way that Stokes did to him. For Stubbs to look at what was previously one of their strengths and turn him into their biggest weakness was tactical genius - I wonder if he's going to struggle like Kujabi did as soon as someone figured out how to beat him?

Sir David Gray
27-05-2016, 09:26 PM
I personally think Tavernier is pish.

Extremely overrated.

Bostonhibby
27-05-2016, 09:26 PM
I've been watching the highlights over and over and over this last week, what strikes me is how there are almost parallels to the two. Both started out looking as great attacking full backs but as soon as a team figure out how you play against them they become a total liability.

I'm looking forward to next season, I wonder how many teams will copy what we did and try and turn him inside out the same way that Stokes did to him. For Stubbs to look at what was previously one of their strengths and turn him into their biggest weakness was tactical genius - I wonder if he's going to struggle like Kujabi did as soon as someone figured out how to beat him?

Kujabi sometimes made it back, most of the key attacks we did Tavernier was taken out the game by two passes and left in no mans land every time. Blowing out his erse as well, Hope they keep him. Nae doubt Stubbs worked him out.

truehibernian
27-05-2016, 09:33 PM
The whole The Rangers back line were a god send - Wallace pulling out the Scotland squad is more of a self reflection by the player, knowing as we all do, that he is utterly garbage when put under pressure. Watch Wallace when he played in the Scotland U19's, a more over rated player you won't find since Eoin Jess !!

Brightside
27-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Tav is a rubbish defender. The CBs are utterly dreadful.

Aldo
27-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Tav is a rubbish defender. The CBs are utterly dreadful.

First goal proved that with no one busting a gut to stop Stokes!!

Set pieces and let's face it if they think they will present any sort of challenge next season it's going to be fun watching them getting turned over!!

corby hibee
27-05-2016, 09:38 PM
​The huns were bangng on about how tav was he best player in the wold, now they want rid ofhim, stubbs knew how to play against them, i can see a few teams setting up a 3-5-2 vs them next year.

Michael
27-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Why don't they just use him as a winger? Or coach him how to defend? I don't believe he can actually be that bad defensively if he had a decent coach.

27-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Very good attacking player, piss poor defensively.

Aldo
27-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Very good attacking player, piss poor defensively.

One good cross and apart from that was anonymous!!

Will struggle big time next season!!

#FromTheCapital
27-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Let's not be so harsh on him. He put a great shift in for us on Saturday barring that **** up that set up Kenny Millers equaliser.

Aldo
27-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Let's not be so harsh on him. He put a great shift in for us on Saturday barring that **** up that set up Kenny Millers equaliser.

;-)

It was a decent cross TBf!!

#FromTheCapital
27-05-2016, 09:53 PM
;-)

It was a decent cross TBf!!

It was a very good cross but I'll forgive him in this instance 😂

Aldo
27-05-2016, 09:56 PM
It was a very good cross but I'll forgive him in this instance dde02
Tee hee!!

truehibernian
27-05-2016, 09:59 PM
One good cross and apart from that was anonymous!!

Will struggle big time next season!!

Danny Wilson also the 'constant' Aldo - horrific player, media hyped, found out and thank god he was in that defence on Saturday.

corby hibee
27-05-2016, 10:03 PM
All i hear from the huns down here is there gonna walk the league next year.

lucky
27-05-2016, 10:05 PM
There was a reason Wigan in the third tier of English football released him and it's the same reason he ended up in the Scottish championship ..... He is pish

CallumLaidlaw
27-05-2016, 10:39 PM

Extremely overrated.

I think it's worth remembering that Tavernier, Kiernan, and waghorn were all taken from a Struggling Wigan team that they couldn't get a game for.

McGregor is a million times better than Keirnan, Tavernier would probably make a decent Scottish Premiership winger, but his defensive awareness is disgraceful and waghorn is ok, but will never have the same impact next season

makaveli1875
27-05-2016, 10:54 PM
tavernier is **** , nowhere near as bad as kujabi though . kujabi is quite possibly the worst footballer iv ever seen

Captain Trips
27-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Both about as convincing in defence as The Yorkshire Rippers lawyer.

hibees59
27-05-2016, 11:05 PM
tavernier is **** , nowhere near as bad as kujabi though . kujabi is quite possibly the worst footballer iv ever seen

I agree with this!

E10 Rifle
28-05-2016, 02:52 AM
I agree with this!

And me

ACLeith
28-05-2016, 04:17 AM
For Stubbs to look at what was previously one of their strengths and turn him into their biggest weakness was tactical genius - I wonder if he's going to struggle like Kujabi did as soon as someone figured out how to beat him?
We played the same formation at the last league game at ER and it worked well then. When "the world's greatest manager" was given our team lines you'd think he would have been ready this time round?

And he was stumbling around even more in the dark when we changed formation by swapping Liam for Liam - maybe having 2 players with the same first name was just too much for him 😱

Like a few if his players a "one trick pony" who gets found out in time - thankfully 👍

Aldo
28-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Danny Wilson also the 'constant' Aldo - horrific player, media hyped, found out and thank god he was in that defence on Saturday.

I, like many others TH, have watched the goals (game) over and over and I still cannot believe the amount of room Stokes got for first goal!

Wilson and Kiernan just jogged along as if oot running with their kids.

TBH we made Wallace and Travernier look good in previous games but we got in behind them and on the back foot and showed that they cannot defend!

They will struggle next season in the Premiership with that back line!

Smartie
28-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Tavernier is a good player with an achilles heel. It's a weird modern phenomenon that there is an acceptance of fullbacks who cannot defend. If they manage to work out how to overcome his shortcomings then I still think they've got a good player there. Personally I think he'd be good as the RWB in a 3-5-2 with a decent right-sided centre half and sweeper to help cover for him when he goes forward. I was speaking to my hun mate on Thursday and he said they missed Dominic Ball badly - he's a defensive midfielder that does well to drop into the defensive line and provide cover when Tavernier goes forward. Halliday just doesn't do this.

Tavernier has been a big part of our games with Rangers this season. He's scored a few and made a significant contribution for many other goals for them. But he's been horribly to blame for others, often very basic defensive mistakes at set pieces.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2016, 07:06 AM
A Rangers supporting friend of mine said after the semi finals that the suspension of Ball was a massive blow as he had been their best defender all season and the one that kind of marshalled them.

Looks like he was right.:greengrin

Smartie
28-05-2016, 07:11 AM
I, like many others TH, have watched the goals (game) over and over and I still cannot believe the amount of room Stokes got for first goal!

Wilson and Kiernan just jogged along as if oot running with their kids.

TBH we made Wallace and Travernier look good in previous games but we got in behind them and on the back foot and showed that they cannot defend!

They will struggle next season in the Premiership with that back line!

I'd be amazed if they go into next season with that back line.

Tbh I think Warburton did very well to get that team together from where they were the season before. He understood the remit - we MUST go up, and as champions and he built a team capable of that, i.e. he got a team that destroyed teams with pace and width. Tavernier, Wilson etc aren't going to be tested that much defensively, their team was all about blowing wee teams away and over the league season they did that well.

When they came up against better teams though they were found wanting. They did fine against a complacent Celtic team but still needed penalties to beat them. I reckon they'll be a lot more pragmatic next season and I can only see Wallace of their current GK, back 4 and defensive mid being a regular starter for them next year.

GlesgaeHibby
28-05-2016, 07:12 AM
A Rangers supporting friend of mine said after the semi finals that the suspension of Ball was a massive blow as he had been their best defender all season and the one that kind of marshalled them.

Looks like he was right.:greengrin

Agree, Ball has been a good player for them. They seem only to be signing midfielders/attacking players just now too. Unless they can bring in a couple of defenders/new goalie Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts should all be looking to finish above them.

Aldo
28-05-2016, 07:22 AM
I'd be amazed if they go into next season with that back line. Tbh I think Warburton did very well to get that team together from where they were the season before. He understood the remit - we MUST go up, and as champions and he built a team capable of that, i.e. he got a team that destroyed teams with pace and width. Tavernier, Wilson etc aren't going to be tested that much defensively, their team was all about blowing wee teams away and over the league season they did that well. When they came up against better teams though they were found wanting. They did fine against a complacent Celtic team but still needed penalties to beat them. I reckon they'll be a lot more pragmatic next season and I can only see Wallace of their current GK, back 4 and defensive mid being a regular starter for them next year.

Problem they have Smartie is they are rooked!! They won't pay for anyone and there is not even the lure of Europe for them!!

I am not even sure the bread man will be there next season, **** they won a puss poor league with ease and after the SF against Smellic the fans thought that they were world beaters...... BANG straight back down to earth with a massive bump!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Looks more like a wide midfielder who does a bit of defending rather than a defender who can attack. A forward with a bit of pace and a ball over the top seems to do him every time and in terms of football tactics these are on the first few pages.

GlasgowHibee
28-05-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm going to against the lot of you, and say that he's a good player, but never a right back in a million years.

He can only play right back with a solid pair of centre backs beside him - something The Rangers don't have.

eastmainsmsh
28-05-2016, 09:11 AM
I'm sure pat Fenlon compared kujabi to terry phelan lol

BoomtownHibees
28-05-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm sure pat Fenlon compared kujabi to terry phelan lol

I'm sure Kujabi compared Kujabi to Roberto Carlos lol

FifeHibs
28-05-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm sure Tavernier was in the papers half way through the season proclaiming he was a Rangers LEGEND... He may not be but his performance last Saturday is legendary and will be talked about for years to come.

Come on the Hibees

Onion
28-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Rarely seen a player destroyed in a cup final as much as Tavernier. He and Wallace were their big threats throughout the season and neither of them had a sniff. Stokes destroyed Tavernier for 94 mins.

CRAZYHIBBY
28-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Tavs a decent player and I always thought kujabi would have made a half decent winger.....there was no way kujabi was a defender

hibs#1
28-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Extremely overrated.

I agree whole heartedly with this

Thegreenside
28-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Good player but no interested in defending

500miles
28-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Tavernier puts great balls into the box. I don't know why he's played as a full back though.

Nicho87
28-05-2016, 12:40 PM
I cant recall kujabi doing anything other than his free kick on goal going out for a throw in.

eastmainsmsh
28-05-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm sure Kujabi compared Kujabi to Roberto Carlos lol

👌🏻🏐 class mate

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-05-2016, 02:55 PM
I don't feel as though we've spoken about the defending for the first goal enough. Kiernan literally just jogs alongside Stokes the whole way, doesn't go any closer, doesn't close the gap or narrow the angle. It's getting funnier each time I watch it. To think he was shortlisted for their player of the year [emoji85] We put 6 past them in the past two games and it should really have been double figures if we'd taken our chances

SuperAllyMcleod
28-05-2016, 05:15 PM
To be honest, it was difficult to assess how he played given that he spent the whole match in Stokesy's back pocket. [emoji4]

ekhibee
28-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Tavernier is a good player with an achilles heel. It's a weird modern phenomenon that there is an acceptance of fullbacks who cannot defend. If they manage to work out how to overcome his shortcomings then I still think they've got a good player there. Personally I think he'd be good as the RWB in a 3-5-2 with a decent right-sided centre half and sweeper to help cover for him when he goes forward. I was speaking to my hun mate on Thursday and he said they missed Dominic Ball badly - he's a defensive midfielder that does well to drop into the defensive line and provide cover when Tavernier goes forward. Halliday just doesn't do this.

Tavernier has been a big part of our games with Rangers this season. He's scored a few and made a significant contribution for many other goals for them. But he's been horribly to blame for others, often very basic defensive mistakes at set pieces.
Yep, that's my take on it too. Really good player coming forward but poor defensively. I actually would compare him to Whittaker rather than Kujabi. Whittaker was a good player driving forward, a good passer as well, but defensively he was constantly caught out of position, meaning Zibbi (who was already a poor goalie), was getting even more flack. Also, Whittaker didn't score nearly as many goals as Tavernier. Dam sure I wouldn't mind a right back who could take free kicks like that either. Your point about Ball was also correct, they seriously missed him on Saturday, I actually thought that Stubbs won the tactical battle with Warburton by playing Stokes mostly wide left. Stevenson isn't fast enough to put Tavernier on the back foot, and Stubbs, for most of the season was playing Stevenson as a winger/left back instead of just letting him concentrate on left back. With Stokes out there Tavernier was caught out of position several times and didn't look too clever even when he had covered back.