PDA

View Full Version : Greatest scottish cup win ever?

MacGruber
27-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Was it the best Scottish Cup win there's ever been (certainly feels like it)

- lower league team
- 5 games v teams from higher league (ever done before?)
- knocking out rivals (with celebrations at both grounds) including stunning come back and glorious SOL rendition
- knocking out the holders (midweek up in the highlands bouncing back from the league cup final)
- penalty shoot-out drama and new cult hero keeper
- Winning v the champions of our league (denying The Rangers their first ever major trophy)
- absolute classic final, great performance, comeback and injury time winner

All delivered on budget

*no charities were harmed during the making of the greatest ever Scottish cup

HIBERNIAN - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

:-)

TheReg!
27-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Ever 💚

Waxy
27-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Of course it was. Can you think of a better one?

SquashedFrogg
27-05-2016, 06:34 PM

- lower league team
- knocking out rivals (with celebrations at both grounds) including stunning come back and glorious SOL rendition
- knocking out the holders (midweek up in the highlands bouncing back from the league cup final)
- Winning v the champions of our league (denying The Rangers their first ever major trophy)

All delivered on budget

Great post and question. Beyond my obvious bias, it has to be based that breakdown.

Add in the duration since the last win and I think we have it confirmed.

weststandhibby
27-05-2016, 06:40 PM
:top marks

- lower league team

All delivered on budget

murray26
27-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Well when you put it like that..

sleeping giant
27-05-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm an emotional wreck today :greengrin

Billy Whizz
27-05-2016, 06:46 PM

- lower league team

All delivered on budget

Like it

Pete
27-05-2016, 06:47 PM
I agree but other fans might disagree.

ICT and St.Johnstone fans might say theirs were because it was their first major trophy and they did it on a very tight budget.

Hearts fans might say 1998 because they hadn't won a trophy for nearly forty years before that and the Rangers team they beat was probably one of the best that's ever been.

United might say 1994 because they broke some sort of duck with that and again, they beat a class act in the final.

Motherwell could also claim that they took part in the best final ever...and their keeper played with broken ribs.

Green specs back on and nothing beats ours for the game, the losses beforehand, the hoodoo and even the pitch invasion at the end.

Lancs Harp
27-05-2016, 06:47 PM
The greatest Scottish cup wins of all time:

bingo70
27-05-2016, 06:48 PM
The only cup final in my lifetime that comes close is the Dundee Utd Motherwell game that Maxwell broke his ribs in.

Ours was better though

jacomo
27-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Of course it was. Can you think of a better one?

1902 might have rivalled it. But it was before my time.

In all seriousness, it was an epic campaign, even into the final game, 2-1 down and winning it with a late, late goal.

Glory Lurker
27-05-2016, 07:29 PM

Hearts fans might say 1998 because they hadn't won a trophy for nearly forty years before that and the Rangers team they beat was probably one of the best that's ever been.

They might, but they'd be overlooking that they didn't play a Premier team 'til the Final, and that Rangers team was finished (though of course had achieved much in the years running up to that season)

United might say 1994 because they broke some sort of duck with that and again, they beat a class act in the final. The Rangers team they beat was close to the height of its powers, and having lost three finals in the seven preceding years, it was a great display by United to cling on to their lead for over half the game. More impressively, they of course put us out at ER on the way. Mind, what chance did we have - was Jerren Nixon no worth £10 million or something?!

Motherwell could also claim that they took part in the best final ever...and their keeper played with broken ribs I think Well beat Celtic in the semi in a replay, too? Incredible feat.

Green specs back on and nothing beats ours for the game, the losses beforehand, the hoodoo and even the pitch invasion at the end.

fat freddy
27-05-2016, 07:37 PM
The greatest Scottish cup wins of all time:

Another achievement was becoming the fourth club to win the Scottish Cup in three separate centuries, Celtic, Rangers & Hearts being the others..

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-05-2016, 07:45 PM

- lower league team

All delivered on budget

:top marks :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
27-05-2016, 08:01 PM

ICT and St.Johnstone fans might say theirs were because it was their first major trophy and they did it on a very tight budget.

United might say 1994 because they broke some sort of duck with that and again, they beat a class act in the final.

Motherwell could also claim that they took part in the best final ever...and their keeper played with broken ribs.

I do believe that all of the aforementioned teams were premier league clubs when they won, whilst our own team was/is lower league.
Our achievement thus is all the more impressive.

SquashedFrogg
27-05-2016, 08:03 PM
The only cup final in my lifetime that comes close is the Dundee Utd Motherwell game that Maxwell broke his ribs in.

Ours was better though

Watched that as aged 15. To this day I'm convinced he was milking it. Total drama queen. "Heroic cup final keeper fights near death to win cup"

Not having it. Gray could've done the same on Sat but manned up.

Love Jackson's celebration in that final though...

northstandhibby
27-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Jamie Carragher said ''It's the best game I've seen all year''. There is no doubt the Cup Final was the best in living memory. It was as if it was written in the stars. Magical. What has been the icing on the cake is the Jim Traynor led Scottish media showing their Hun colors for all to see. Pure mental the way Jim Traynor has been outed as the Scottish Media Chief leading the rest of it's Hun cheerleaders like Union Jack Jackson of the daily ranger which has taken the bloo poond.

Most of the educated and street wise already knew the Scots Media were in tune with the Hun establishment but now everyone has seen for themselves the way it bends to the likes of Airdrie's Jim Traynor. A real nobody but for being a Hun poodle.

It was the best Scottish Cup Final ever!

Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Captain Trips
27-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Best win ever.

FACT

Aldo
27-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Jamie Carragher said ''It's the best game I've seen all year''. There is no doubt the Cup Final was the best in living memory. It was as if it was written in the stars. Magical. What has been the icing on the cake is the Jim Traynor led Scottish media showing their Hun colors for all to see. Pure mental the way Jim Traynor has been outed as the Scottish Media Chief leading the rest of it's Hun cheerleaders like Union Jack Jackson of the daily ranger which has taken the bloo poond. Most of the educated and street wise already knew the Scots Media were in tune with the Hun establishment but now everyone has seen for themselves the way it bends to the likes of Airdrie's Jim Traynor. A real nobody but for being a Hun poodle. It was the best Scottish Cup Final ever! Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Spookily enough the majority of the English based media has commented mainly on the game.

Jack sons disappeared off SM!

I have quoted him this evening to the DR Twitter page and asked for a true and accurate report on what actually happened to their players!!

northstandhibby
27-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Spookily enough the majority of the English based media has commented mainly on the game.

Jack sons disappeared off SM!

I have quoted him this evening to the DR Twitter page and asked for a true and accurate report on what actually happened to their players!!

Good on you Aldo. I joined Twitter last night and trolled the idiot seeking answers but the liars never answer honest questions.

Glory Glory

jgl07
27-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Of course it is.

It's the Hibs way!

matty_f
27-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Definitely the best one.

Santa Cruz
27-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Defo.

et_hibby
27-05-2016, 10:17 PM

- lower league team

All delivered on budget

Greatest SC win ever.
Greatest tournament win ever.
Greatest 15 minutes since the beginning of time. Ever.:wink:

Finn2015
27-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Hibs don't do many Scottish cup wins but when we do, they are the best!!!!

Waxy
28-05-2016, 08:05 AM
1902 might have rivalled it. But it was before my time.

In all seriousness, it was an epic campaign, even into the final game, 2-1 down and winning it with a late, late goal.
The first in 1887 must have been incredible. Read about it a few times. Around 1000 Hibbys in a crowd of around 20000 up at old Hampden( Cathkin park).Alot walked there.Late goal to win it 2-1.Bringing the cup back to waverly and a parade from there down to St Marys st halls where we were basically formed from in 1875.The current Hibernian team stand shoulder to shoulder with that team.

superfurryhibby
28-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Possibly even better than the greatest game in history......

To think that there were many on here saying they would take promotion over the Scottish Cup. I don't think promotion would have come anyway near last weekend. Best day of my life, outside of the birth of my laddies.

One Day Soon
28-05-2016, 06:17 PM
When you take all the factors into account this is the best Scottish Cup win ever. It actually defines that often used phrase 'the romance of the cup'.

You could literally make a film about it...