PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end for Scottish football

Diclonius
27-05-2016, 09:08 AM
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/american-peh-deal-dundee-v-celtic-game-usa-85-complete/

Only in our league would the self-interested blazers vote for **** like this.

McIntosh
27-05-2016, 09:15 AM
beyond parody. We must be really broke!!!

Billy Whizz
27-05-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised you're able to play a home game at a neutral venue

Joe6-2
27-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Absolutely ridiculous, what about fans that never miss a game? F*** them, eh!

marinello59
27-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Stuff the loyal fans who go every week. Play it abroad so only the better off have any chance of going. Hopefully this is a one off and a big fat flop.

High-On-Hibs
27-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Corporatism strikes again!

Ozyhibby
27-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Celtic will use the interest in this game in the US to make their pitch to be included in the new Euro super league when it comes about.
The rest of Scottish football is too stupid to realise this is what's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sas_The_Hibby
27-05-2016, 09:23 AM
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/american-peh-deal-dundee-v-celtic-game-usa-85-complete/

Only in our league would the self-interested blazers vote for **** like this.

Has there not been something very similar mooted in the English Premier League? I realise it's not happened yet though.

Michael
27-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Absolutely terrible. If this the only time it ever happens then fine, but if this is the new way things are then I'm finished with football.

Haymaker
27-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Has there not been something very similar mooted in the English Premier League? I realise it's not happened yet though.

The '39th' game was but got rightly kicked to the curb.

High-On-Hibs
27-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Celtic will use the interest in this game in the US to make their pitch to be included in the new Euro super league when it comes about.
The rest of Scottish football is too stupid to realise this is what's happening.

:agree:

They're just chasing the quick money, giving next to no thought over the longer term.

Haymaker
27-05-2016, 09:31 AM

Yep.

Hi Heid Yin
27-05-2016, 09:32 AM
I personally remain receptive to change in Scottish football.
For too long the O.F. monopoly of the top 2 places and the tedious fight for 3rd place by a handful of clubs has led to a tired, stale and boring package.
If the profile of an otherwise ordinary, relatively unknown club in the world, is raised and profits generated by televising a game from abroad then I see this as a healthy and refreshing thing. Of course I understand the ordinary fan will be deprived of attending a local game but isn't there also satisfaction in watching your team in a lively and atmospheric pub with some of your mates? This is nothing new in that sense.
The Scottish premier league is in serious need of a shake up, more so now that the duopoly is about to resurface this coming season with The Rangers entering the fold. Anything that offers an alternative, even experimental, gets a thunbs up from me.

lord bunberry
27-05-2016, 09:33 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea. If it helps bring some money and exposure to our game then I don't see the problem. Season ticket holders will have to be compensated and it should be restricted to one match per season.

lord bunberry
27-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Good, they can take their brothers in arms with them.

High-On-Hibs
27-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea. If it helps bring some money and exposure to our game then I don't see the problem. Season ticket holders will have to be compensated and it should be restricted to one match per season.

It will only bring money in the short term. Until the only 2 clubs that anybody outside of Scotland are interested in use this as a way of joining an international super league, while we're left hung out to dry.

Not that I would be sorry to see the back of them. But where do we then go from there?

TheReg!
27-05-2016, 09:38 AM
I quite like this idea tbh, just a one off league game, I'd love to go to the states in a big arena to watch Hibs, I'm not saying we do this every season but once every 5 years or so?? Maybe two teams every season play over there for one game.

lyonhibs
27-05-2016, 09:38 AM
:agree:

They're just chasing the quick money, giving next to no thought over the longer term.

Except this game is - as per the article - "being driven by Dundee" who I think now have Yank investors on board no?

Not that Celtc will be entirely innocent in the farce obviously.

Lancs Harp
27-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Hibs should play a match in Blackpool :greengrin
:flag:

lord bunberry
27-05-2016, 09:44 AM
It will only bring money in the short term. Until the only 2 clubs that anybody outside of Scotland are interested in use this as a way of joining an international super league, while we're left hung out to dry.

Not that I would be sorry to see the back of them. But where do we then go from there?
We go from strength to strength hopefully. The ugly sisters strangle the Scottish league and are only interested in having 4 old firm matches a season.
We've had 4 years without 1 half and the predicted Armageddon didn't materialise and it would be the same if they both left.

Jim44
27-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Sevco should play their away matches in Beirut.

High-On-Hibs
27-05-2016, 09:53 AM
We go from strength to strength hopefully. The ugly sisters strangle the Scottish league and are only interested in having 4 old firm matches a season.
We've had 4 years without 1 half and the predicted Armageddon didn't materialise and it would be the same if they both left.

My concern is that we'll end up with Welsh League status before too long. I take your point about them strangling the league. But are they really the reason that fanbases are dwindling across the country? Would getting shot of them really change that?

lord bunberry
27-05-2016, 09:58 AM
My concern is that we'll end up with Welsh League status before too long. I take your point about them strangling the league. But are they really the reason that fanbases are dwindling across the country? Would getting shot of them really change that?
Are fan bases really dwindling across the country? We will never end up like the Welsh league, most people don't go to the football because the old firm are in the league.

Bristolhibby
27-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Not got a problem with this.

I go to the regular season NFL games at Wembley and went to the Raptors v Magic NBA game at the O2 this year.

London Irish took Scaracens to New York for a game and my rugby team Bath are playing a home game at Twickenham next season.

Argentina are playing their Rugby Championship game v Australia in London this year.

For a one off and a bit of exposure, I'm fine about it.

J

marinello59
27-05-2016, 10:08 AM
For too long the O.F. monopoly of the top 2 places and the tedious fight for 3rd place by a handful of clubs has led to a tired, stale and boring package.
If the profile of an otherwise ordinary, relatively unknown club in the world, is raised and profits generated by televising a game from abroad then I see this as a healthy and refreshing thing. Of course I understand the ordinary fan will be deprived of attending a local game but isn't there also satisfaction in watching your team in a lively and atmospheric pub with some of your mates? This is nothing new in that sense.
The Scottish premier league is in serious need of a shake up, more so now that the duopoly is about to resurface this coming season with The Rangers entering the fold. Anything that offers an alternative, even experimental, gets a thunbs up from me.

Dunddee will just be a support act as Celtic promote themselves further. St Johnstone v Ross County in Seattle just isn't going to happen, the Old Firm will be involved in any matches played abroad. It would be like slow suicide for the rest of us to get involved on a regular basis.

SJM
27-05-2016, 10:14 AM
I really don't see the issue with this.

Billy McKirdy
27-05-2016, 10:49 AM
How about investing and promoting the game here instead of all this gimmicky nonsense which to be honest is more than likely just being staged to tap into the Irish American dollars $$$$.

The pandering to all things old firm in this country and beyond is beyond a joke.

It's opening a can on worms.

hibee_girl
27-05-2016, 10:54 AM
If it's just to benefit Celtic then choose one of their home games instead!

LancashireHibby
27-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Because they get to test the water without any risk to themselves. Amazed Dundee have agreed to it.

Pete
27-05-2016, 10:58 AM

I think the Americans will be quite curious about Scottish football and will do their research as a result of this.

They will see that two teams have won it in 30 years and come to the conclusion that it's a load of one-sided, uncompetitive rubbish.

Someone will suggest selling the brand instead of the individual teams which involves splitting the main income source more evenly (gate money). Celtic will say get lost...and the Americans will laugh at how backward we are as a football association.

Celtic won't mind one jot though and will lap these up until the interest wanes.

macca70
27-05-2016, 11:07 AM
I don't see a problem with trying it, if it works out and financially beneficial then why not make it a regular fixture for 1 game a season. We are always saying our game is run by Dinosaurs so any new initiative to try promote our league overseas has to be a good thing.

Obviously it's Celtic that makes the tie attractive to the Americans so I'm assuming any fixture over there must include Celtic or maybe Rangers therefore boosting Rangers/Celtic bank accounts. Celtic getting half gate receipts for a 69,000 attendance where they would have got nothing had it remained at Dens park.

If the logistics worked out, it would be good to see a full SPL card played over 1 weekend in 1 or 2 of these big American super domes.

macca70
27-05-2016, 11:12 AM

It's probably been instigated by Dundee as they are owned by an American from Texas plus they will get the share of 69,000 gate and TV money which will be significantly more than they would get at Dens

GreenLake
27-05-2016, 11:47 AM
The best thing that would come from this is if they use a local referee.

Jim44
27-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Be positive ...... anything takes that mob away from these shores, even for just a weekend, can only be for the common good. I hope Sevco follow suit.

HappyHanlon
27-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Just the other cheek of the Sectarian crapper.

Celtc and the huns hate the league, hate Scottish football and are happy to bleed us dry till they get what they want.

liscious_hibs
28-05-2016, 01:54 AM

We go to the top, SPL winners with them out the window [emoji1362]

Scott Allan Key
28-05-2016, 02:45 AM
Sevco should play their away matches in Beirut.

An ignorant comment from you, sadly. Beirut is full of cultured, civilised and beautiful people with a fine cuisine and a people who have had to endure bigoted and violent invasions from a belligerant neighbour. Try 'Belfast' if you want to be a bit more accurate. Och, that's in the UK!

rotherhamrob
28-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Hibs should play a match in Blackpool :greengrin
:flag:

You must be joking! It's got to be new york, not in the USA of course, new york stadium rotherham.

Cosmic Truth
28-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Corporatism strikes again!

Zactly.

By all means play friendlies, and pre-season tournaments, but to play a league game in the states is shocking.