PDA

View Full Version : Magic moments

HappyAsHellas
27-05-2016, 12:24 AM
I was overcome with a sense of deep foreboding as Hibs were trailing der hun by 2 goals to 1 on a sunny afternoon in Hampden park. When Stokes scored the equaliser it was as if a tsunami of relief washed over me and I knew we were still in this game. My daughter was telling me "we can do this" repeatedly whilst I was just praying we could make it to extra time. Then we got a corner. Henderson hits a sublime ball into the penalty area and Gray just attacks it. When the ball hits the net I am no longer a mere mortal. My daughter and I hug each other as if it's our final moments on this planet. Except we are jumping and leaping up and down, bouncing on waves of ecstasy and she is crying tears of joy that would melt your heart: I can't help but raise my eyes to the heavens and tell my Dad that we've done it. I break off from our embrace before I become a quivering wreck and am immediately hugged by an unknown Hibby and we dance around together yelling YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS at the top of our voices for what seems like an awful long time to be cuddling a stranger. Afterwards I notice out of the corner of my eye that both my daughter and myself have our hands over our mouths, frightened to breathe as it might disturb the magic we have just witnessed. In answer to my prayers I see John McGinn pick the ball up and realise it's over - we've done it. I have witnessed many joyous occasions in what has been a largely fruitful and happy life and yet nothing prepared me for this. A greater feeling of euphoria, jubilation, exultation, rapture, a veritable transport of delight I have never before encountered in all my days. Later on in the evening at Middletons bar in Easter Road we are drinking more than can be possibly good for ones well being, singing songs and dancing in the street. As I stand looking around me a guy with a huge Hibs flag rolled over his shoulders stands beside me, shakes my hand and says "drink it in, drink all this in, you will never see it again in your lifetime" and departs with a smile. The drummer and guys from section 43 turn up and so does the frenzied singing, dancing and merriment. A man in the pub opens a carrier bag to reveal a piece of the hallowed turf and people dutifully stroke it, as though it could guarantee a lottery win. I know I have drunk too much, expressed more raw emotion than an average man would like to admit to, and yet I would not change one second of it for anything in the world. I was there. I know most of you were as well. Remember that day, for it will never happen again.

GGTTH

Hi Heid Yin
27-05-2016, 12:31 AM
:top marks
I was overcome with a sense of deep foreboding as Hibs were trailing der hun by 2 goals to 1 on a sunny afternoon in Hampden park. When Stokes scored the equaliser it was as if a tsunami of relief washed over me and I knew we were still in this game. My daughter was telling me "we can do this" repeatedly whilst I was just praying we could make it to extra time. Then we got a corner. Henderson hits a sublime ball into the penalty area and Gray just attacks it. When the ball hits the net I am no longer a mere mortal. My daughter and I hug each other as if it's our final moments on this planet. Except we are jumping and leaping up and down, bouncing on waves of ecstasy and she is crying tears of joy that would melt your heart: I can't help but raise my eyes to the heavens and tell my Dad that we've done it. I break off from our embrace before I become a quivering wreck and am immediately hugged by an unknown Hibby and we dance around together yelling YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS at the top of our voices for what seems like an awful long time to be cuddling a stranger. Afterwards I notice out of the corner of my eye that both my daughter and myself have our hands over our mouths, frightened to breathe as it might disturb the magic we have just witnessed. In answer to my prayers I see John McGinn pick the ball up and realise it's over - we've done it. I have witnessed many joyous occasions in what has been a largely fruitful and happy life and yet nothing prepared me for this. A greater feeling of euphoria, jubilation, exultation, rapture, a veritable transport of delight I have never before encountered in all my days. Later on in the evening at Middletons bar in Easter Road we are drinking more than can be possibly good for ones well being, singing songs and dancing in the street. As I stand looking around me a guy with a huge Hibs flag rolled over his shoulders stands beside me, shakes my hand and says "drink it in, drink all this in, you will never see it again in your lifetime" and departs with a smile. The drummer and guys from section 43 turn up and so does the frenzied singing, dancing and merriment. A man in the pub opens a carrier bag to reveal a piece of the hallowed turf and people dutifully stroke it, as though it could guarantee a lottery win. I know I have drunk too much, expressed more raw emotion than an average man would like to admit to, and yet I would not change one second of it for anything in the world. I was there. I know most of you were as well. Remember that day, for it will never happen again.

GGTTH

What a heartwarming read.brilliant write up.:top marks

monktonharp
27-05-2016, 12:43 AM

GGTTH
don't know if you were in the South, but immedietly after dancing with my youngest son, I turned and grabbed, hugged and squeezed a young lady next to me saying I love you and she saying ..and I love you fellow hibby.what a moment. never thought i'd have it but will never forget it. could not recognise her,or her dad if we passed in the street. was it you? she told me the man next to her was her Da.

HappyAsHellas
27-05-2016, 01:08 AM
We were in the East, with strangers, but instantly lifetime friends.

InchHibby
27-05-2016, 05:33 AM

GGTTH

I was in the North section D with my Daughter and when the moment arrived there were tears of joy from all around us and we were all hugging each other as if we were related, then I realised, we were

Hibby70
27-05-2016, 06:16 AM
I woke up the next day with a strange red mark on my neck.

I remember hugging the stranger next to me at the final whistle. I don't think it went any further!!!

lyonhibs
27-05-2016, 07:19 AM
I woke up the next day with a strange red mark on my neck.

I remember hugging the stranger next to me at the final whistle. I don't think it went any further!!!

As long as strange red marks were restricted to your neck, I think you've dodged the bullet there :greengrin