PDA

View Full Version : Change to playoffs

Diclonius
26-05-2016, 10:25 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36389950

Houston wants all three games to be one-offs.

This isn't a bad idea in principle, but what about making the playoffs fair for all involved - i.e. by using the same format as the leagues below? As follows:

Semi finals:
11th in Premiership v 4th in Championship, two legged with second leg at Premiership team
2nd v 3rd (Championship), same with second leg at 2nd placed team

Final: the two winners meet each other at a neutral venue. I.e. if it was Falkirk v Kilmarnock they'd play it somewhere like Fir Park.

As far as I know all votes of this kind are now voted on by the whole of the SPFL no getting this through should be no bother.

Michael
26-05-2016, 10:29 PM
It's probably more sensible. Or, at least have the final as a one off. Too many games at present.

Sir David Gray
26-05-2016, 10:34 PM

This isn't a bad idea in principle, but what about making the playoffs fair for all involved - i.e. by using the same format as the leagues below? As follows:

Semi finals:
11th in Premiership v 4th in Championship, two legged with second leg at Premiership team

Final: the two winners meet each other at a neutral venue. I.e. if it was Falkirk v Kilmarnock they'd play it somewhere like Fir Park.

As far as I know all votes of this kind are now voted on by the whole of the SPFL no getting this through should be no bother.

The other leagues have a two legged final at the moment, on a home/away basis.

Eyrie
26-05-2016, 10:35 PM

Semi finals:

Very sensible proposal, so it's a non-starter in Scottish football.

greenlex
26-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Just give us two leagues of 20 playing each other twice. Three up and three down automatically and have 4th bottom playing 4th top over two legs.

Ozyhibby
26-05-2016, 10:57 PM
I'm hoping I won't give a flying ****. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broken Gnome
26-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Get rid of 4th place involvement - they'ok never go on to win them and merely act as a burden to the teams that eventually play the semi-final before taking the inevitable tanking off 11th.

2nd v 3rd home and away, winner plays two legs against the top flight team.

MileHighBees
26-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Personal opinion in order of preference :-
(unrelated to any Hibs future involvement or not :greengrin)

[1st choice] Scrap play-offs completely. 2 up & 2 down. Fair and simple.

[2nd choice] 11th v 2nd as a one-off game at a neutral venue, preferably Hampden

[3rd choice] 2nd v 3rd one-off game with 2nd getting home advantage, winner plays 11th at neutral venue.

Agree with the comment that 4th should definitely not get a play-off chance

Finn2015
27-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Just give us two leagues of 20 playing each other twice. Three up and three down automatically and have 4th bottom playing 4th top over two legs.

This with bells on. I'm all for a top division of 20 teams

Gatecrasher
27-05-2016, 06:31 AM
I dont see why 4th in the championship should get a shot at being in the premiership, it's a mid table finish!

i would have 2nd v 3rd in a 2 leg tie then the winner meets the premiership team at a neutral venue as a one off game.

Danderhall Hibs
27-05-2016, 06:33 AM
I like what the op says best - 11th v 4th and 2nd v 3rd.

Joe6-2
27-05-2016, 06:34 AM

Semi finals:

Scrap them all together, absolute nonsense!! A team can finish miles off the pace and still get promoted, joke!

Septimus
27-05-2016, 06:39 AM
And no plastic pitches allowed.

BSEJVT
27-05-2016, 06:39 AM
Scrap them all together, absolute nonsense!! A team can finish miles of the pace and still get promoted, joke!

A straight 2nd v 11th for me

I cant quite get why the team that finishes 3rd (sometimes a distant 3rd ) gets another crack at the whip.

Skåne Hibs
27-05-2016, 07:01 AM
If we've got to keep them in their current form, then they need to lose the bookings carrying over to the Final game against the premier league team.

If the playoffs are to be changed then it should be 2nd v 3rd only, lose the 4th place team. The 2nd and 3rd bottom premium league teams should both be involved then every team who gets to the playoff final has played the same number of games.

Keith_M
27-05-2016, 07:03 AM

Semi finals:

I'd go with your proposal but it's too sensible to ever happen.

One other change I'd make is to get rid of the stupid league names. They simply copied the names in use in England, even although they make no sense up here at all.

I'd go back to Division One, Two, etc. Something simple and logical.

Speedy
27-05-2016, 07:09 AM
A straight 2nd v 11th for me

I cant quite get why the team that finishes 3rd (sometimes a distant 3rd ) gets another crack at the whip.

Keeps the league meaningful for longer. I'd keep 3rd and 4th in the playoffs.

OPs suggestion sounds good to me.

Eyrie
27-05-2016, 07:28 PM
I'd go with your proposal but it's too sensible to ever happen.

One other change I'd make is to get rid of the stupid league names. They simply copied the names in use in England, even although they make no sense up here at all.

I'd go back to Division One, Two, etc. Something simple and logical.

Correct.

In England the Championship is just that - it decides the Football League Champions who then move into a different competition organised by the Premiership.

In Scotland all four leagues are organised by the one body, so only the winners of the top flight can be called champions.

Bristolhibby
27-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Two up, up two down.

Simples.

J

jgl07
27-05-2016, 10:06 PM
I would keep things much the same but make the Premiership play off a one off match at Hampden.

The idea of the play-offs is to keep interest going throughout the season. There are very few meaningless mid-table matches as a result.

I would still prefer the league to be restructured into two Divisions of 20 clubs with the playoff system retained.