PDA

View Full Version : Tangible effects of Scottish Cup win?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
26-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Leaving aside the obvious emotional impact of the Scottish Cup win (god, writing that feels good!), I’ve been thinking about what the more tangible effects could be for the Club. I’ve put some initial thoughts
below, but would be interested to know what others think…

Salvaging one of the lowest points in our history – the last few years have been a slog to say the least, we have been in a state of (badly) managed decline since 2008, resulting in 3 years (at least) in the lower leagues – something I never thought would happen to us. The manner in which we managed to sink to this depth was also about as bad as it could have been – and it has taken its toll. Not least because we managed to eclipse Hearts collapse. Yet, we have now turned it into one of the most positive and important victories for our club in our history, certainly since the 91 league cup. I don’t think this can be underestimated, we have turned the lowest of lows into the highest of highs.

Albatross from around our neck – obviously part of that was removing the ‘hoodoo’, that had become a cause celebre in Scottish media circles, and had become an enormous stick with which to beat us, by all clubs. We had become known for it. I don’t really consume much Scottish football media, but many do and the effect of the constant low-level ridicule, while hard to quantify, will now be removed – surely this can only be a positive. Also, it exorcises the 5-1 final. Not to them of course (neither should it) but I can honestly say I now wouldn’t swap anything, including that final, for Saturday.

Finances – Obviously the prize money from the cup runs will be huge, and should go a long way to off-setting the losses of being in lower league, but the benefits possibly more fans, merchandise, more HSL etc, could be a medium to long term boost, especially if we can back this win up with a successful league campaign next season. Handles correctly, could this be a big deal for a few years into the future?

Feel-good factor – Potential to go into next season full of confidence and positivity – not so much in the players, but with the fans, a sense that we are all pulling in the right direction with no division?

Farmer’s legacy – This is a biggy for me. What that man has done for Hibs has been huge, and he is without doubt one of the towering figures in our entire history. But, its hard to deny that his legacy was looking less and less positive recently. While this doesn’t undo all of the negatives, on the balance sheet of his ownership and the legacy of it, this is an enormous entry in the ‘positive’ column, and it is fitting that he was still in charge to see this happen – he deserved for it to happen under his stewardship.

What do others think?