PDA

View Full Version : Was any footage from the 1979 final shown in the build-up to last Saturday?

G B Young
26-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Just out of interest, did anyone see any footage from the '79 final in any of the pre-match TV coverage last Saturday? Having never seen any footage since I watched the first game on TV nearly 40 years ago I wondered if the BBC/STV had dug anything out?

I'm not even sure if the two replays were filmed (I've certainly never seen Arthur Duncan's og), but the first game definitely was and it would have seemed the natural thing to show some action from the previous time the two clubs had met in the Scottish Cup final, especially the controversy of Colin Campbell being felled by McCloy for what I recall looking like a certain penalty towards the end of the game. If nothing was shown, does that mean the film has disappeared?

CropleyWasGod
26-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Just out of interest, did anyone see any footage from the '79 final in any of the pre-match TV coverage last Saturday? Having never seen any footage since I watched the first game on TV nearly 40 years ago I wondered if the BBC/STV had dug anything out?

I'm not even sure if the two replays were filmed (I've certainly never seen Arthur Duncan's og), but the first game definitely was and it would have seemed the natural thing to show some action from the previous time the two clubs had met in the Scottish Cup final, especially the controversy of Colin Campbell being felled by McCloy for what I recall looking like a certain penalty towards the end of the game. If nothing was shown, does that mean the film has disappeared?

It was quite common in the 70's to tape over old programmes, as tape was relatively expensive.

danderchook
26-05-2016, 10:07 AM
It was quite common in the 70's to tape over old programmes, as tape was relatively expensive.

I am virtually certain no footage of the third game exists, if it does it has never been shown on TV.

Kato
26-05-2016, 10:10 AM
I am virtually certain no footage of the third game exists, if it does it has never been shown on TV.

Footage did exist, I never made that match as we got stuck in London after the Wembley fixture but all the goals were shown on TV and I've seen them again since. No doubt the last 10 minutes of the first game have "disapeared."

CropleyWasGod
26-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Like Kato, I saw the goals on the TV (I think the news, the next evening).

Not since, though.

McIntosh
26-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I distinctly remember seeing the highlights and the goals but not for nearly thirty years

JimBHibees
26-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Footage did exist, I never made that match as we got stuck in London after the Wembley fixture but all the goals were shown on TV and I've seen them again since. No doubt the last 10 minutes of the first game have "disapeared."

Indeed up there with the Alan Muir decision. :agree:

Argylehibby
26-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Was it not reported that the footage was burnt in a fire at BBC some years later? (No doubt along with any other evidence of bias toward the infirm.)

Topographic Hibby
26-05-2016, 11:42 AM
I've definitely seen Arthur's winner years ago on TV. It was a cracker!!!

Nothing in the years since. The BBC have a real problem in maintaining their historical and socially important archive. Eg the only appearance of Pink Floyd on Top of the Pops has been wiped from the tapes. The recent "recipes" decision is a similar example.

Might be painful for us but it is important that records of our visits to Hampden are maintained. Especially our last one.......

Doncaster_Hibby
26-05-2016, 11:53 AM

I saw the goals from the second replay on telly at the time but have never seen them since. I'm sure the footage no longer exists. As regards the Colin Campbell incident in the first game. A definite penalty but it wasn't McCloy who fouled him. I seem to remember he was through one on one with McCloy and was brought down from behind by the centre half.

Tom Hart RIP
26-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Watching highlights when I got back they showed goals from Clyde game, Celtic game in 72 and also a Rangers goal at Hampden against us. I assume it was from 79. It was part of a montage and passed before I had time to work out who was playing. Not sure which channel

G B Young
26-05-2016, 12:27 PM
I saw the goals from the second replay on telly at the time but have never seen them since. I'm sure the footage no longer exists. As regards the Colin Campbell incident in the first game. A definite penalty but it wasn't McCloy who fouled him. I seem to remember he was through one on one with McCloy and was brought down from behind by the centre half.

It was definitely McCloy who pulled him down. We did get a penalty in the third game, so could be that you're thinking about? Bobby Hutchison got chopped down by Colin Jackson and Ally McLeod scored.

Something I was wondering recently was whether, if Arthur hadn't scored that own goal in extra time would the game have gone to a THIRD replay??

Newry Hibs
26-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Living in England then - the only coverage was a few minutes after the English final. I seem to remember Hibs hitting the post from outside the box - near the end of the match?

stantonhibby
26-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Watching highlights when I got back they showed goals from Clyde game, Celtic game in 72 and also a Rangers goal at Hampden against us. I assume it was from 79. It was part of a montage and passed before I had time to work out who was playing. Not sure which channel

Yeah that was a montage at the start of the Sky coverage. Hadn't seen that Rangers goal before

Sammy7nil
26-05-2016, 11:17 PM

That is how remember it but am auld :greengrin mccloy made a finger tip save very very late on :rolleyes:

O'Rourke3
26-05-2016, 11:29 PM
The first game went out live - may actually have been the first ever live broadcast of a SCF. Memorable for two reasons. Hibs not getting a penalty and the updates from the FA Cup final that went mental in the last 5 minutes as MU came back from 0-2 to lose 2-3 against the Arse....
The following Wednesday the BBC showed what felt like a delayed broadcast beam back of the whole game. The fact they hadn't given the score before it on the news meant my Dad and me watched the game not knowing the outcome. 2nd game we should have won.
Zip to Monday and the radio - I was working in the Legion in Porty. ".... and Duncan scores!!!!" place goes mental then confused as the score is 3-2 Rangers.

Pretty sure to this day I've seen nothing from that third game.

To answer a previous poster. Game drawn = game replayed. It was this final that made them start to think there may be an issue. After all if Rangers could go to 2 replays, how the hell would Scotland compete in the Home Internationals. For our younger viewers this was a round robin event at the end of the season played over one week between the Home nations post SC and FA finals. I remember this more that the times it was spread out through the whole season.

ballengeich
26-05-2016, 11:29 PM

I think it was Colin Jackson who fouled him, but it was a long time ago ......

ballengeich
26-05-2016, 11:32 PM
I've definitely seen Arthur's winner years ago on TV. It was a cracker!!!

Nothing in the years since. The BBC have a real problem in maintaining their historical and socially important archive. Eg the only appearance of Pink Floyd on Top of the Pops has been wiped from the tapes. The recent "recipes" decision is a similar example.

Might be painful for us but it is important that records of our visits to Hampden are maintained. Especially our last one.......

No blame to Arthur. If he hadn't got to the ball there was a Rangers forward just behind him who would have headed the ball in. Gordon Smith claims it was him. Smith must score - perhaps Arthur should have left it.

monktonharp
26-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Colin Campbell was chopped down, by the Girvan Lighthoose as they called the rangers goalie. stonewaller 3 mins to go. I watched it in the E.R.Infirmary, and watched the replay there too. the room which was the tv room at the time is still there. all part of the new quarter mile now but every time I pass, I think of it.I got released from hospital after a major op, on thetuesday, and was at the 3rd game on the Wed.me and my mate got to the game, driven by a jambo mate at the time. we had a pint in Rutherglen after the match and got consoled with a free pint.

BroxburnHibee
27-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Pretty sure McCloy has admitted it was a penalty.

Waxy
15-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Wonder if the pic at the top was taken before extra time in the 1979 final second replay?
It looks like hampden.
http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/10-things-about-hibernian/

DavieRoy
15-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Sky did use footage in two packages in the week leading up to the Scottish Cup Final.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10287699/hibs-v-rangers-37-years-on

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10288609/hibs-aim-to-end-hoodoo

JeMeSouviens
15-06-2016, 09:36 PM
First one has the non-penalty! Thanks for that.

Doncaster_Hibby
15-06-2016, 09:36 PM
It was definitely McCloy who pulled him down.

Looks like you're right.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/05/rangers-3-2-hibernian-scottish-cup-final-1979/

From the link above:

"To this day, every Hibs’ fans who was present is adamant that Colin Campbell was illegally sent crashing to the ground by Rangers’ keeper Peter McCloy inside the area but it was not to be, and not for the first or last time was there a feeling of injustice amongst those heading back along the M8. After the game Hibs’ boss Eddie Turnbull claimed that McCloy had ‘crucified’ Campbell and the player himself remains certain that it should have been a penalty."

I stand corrected. I could have sworn the centre half brought him down from behind. Funny how the memory plays tricks.

Doncaster_Hibby
15-06-2016, 09:41 PM
To answer a previous poster. Game drawn = game replayed. It was this final that made them start to think there may be an issue. After all if Rangers could go to 2 replays, how the hell would Scotland compete in the Home Internationals. For our younger viewers this was a round robin event at the end of the season played over one week between the Home nations post SC and FA finals. I remember this more that the times it was spread out through the whole season.

Again I could be wrong but I seem to recall that the second replay was delayed until after the home internationals.

heretoday
15-06-2016, 09:43 PM
We missed a hatful of chances over the three games and so did Rangers to be fair.

Our support had dwindled to nowt by the final match. I virtually had a railway compartment to myself heading home.

JeMeSouviens
15-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Again I could be wrong but I seem to recall that the second replay was delayed until after the home internationals.

The 3 cup finals were the 12, 16 and 28 May. All 3 home internationals were between the 2 replays with an old firm league decider on the 21st as well. Incredible!

O'Rourke3
15-06-2016, 09:55 PM

Intended more as a joke but looking up the dates you are quite correct. 1st replay 16th 2nd 28th.

DavieRoy
15-06-2016, 09:56 PM
First one has the non-penalty! Thanks for that.

It was some challenge to find the first game and the third game.

Nothing exists of the second game.

JeMeSouviens
15-06-2016, 10:04 PM
It was some challenge to find the first game and the third game.

Nothing exists of the second game.

Great to finally see that after all these years. Did you get the McCloy save at the end as well? Think it was from Campbell as well?

Spike Mandela
15-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Youtube has coverage of ALL Scottish Cup Finals from at least 1965 right up to 2016, the only one missing is 1979....very strange.