PDA

View Full Version : Precedent for fans attacking a player

CelticEnd
25-05-2016, 08:17 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up on this forum but back in 2004 Celtic played Motherwell in their final home game of the season.

At the end of the match their was a pitch invasion and some Celtic players were jostled and Ross Wallace was kicked (article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3710305.stm)

Martin O'Neills comments:

"I can understand the fans coming on the field at the end because it is Motherwell's last home game and I can understand that enthusiasm," said O'Neill.

"But there is a problem when an opposition player's kicked then it's a different matter all together.

"I don't want any raging headlines because Ross is okay but he took a fair kick."

Celtic reported the incident to the police but nobody was ever charged, the incident dropped out of the media headlines over the coming days and the club (Motherwell) received no sanction from the SFA.

Shows how utterly ridiculous the reaction to the final is purely cause the losing team can't handle being beat.

hibs#1
25-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Think everybody knows that there has been a massive over reaction to incidents on Saturday which Imo has just been to deflect attention from rangers defeat and there recent league results
As far as I can see 1 idiot went for Wallace and holt and immediately got repremanded and will rightly get a lifetime ban and dealt with the courts
Other than that 1 other idiot shoved the goalie he will also get dealt with properly
Some fans fighting with rangers fans which looks to me as it was a small amount in comparison with how many fans were on the pitch
Those rangers fans came on too attack hibs fans of which u habe no doubt to be true
So what I think I'm trying to say is the rangers and the media
Are hysterical liars and I look forward to this being properly proven

OsloHibs
25-05-2016, 08:43 PM
What happened to hearts when lennon was attacked? I know it's totally very different- but just wondering what happened to them.

Baader
25-05-2016, 08:45 PM
What happened to hearts when lennon was attacked? I know it's totally very different- but just wondering what happened to them.

This clown?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14913385

rcarter1
25-05-2016, 08:46 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up on this forum but back in 2004 Celtic played Motherwell in their final home game of the season.

At the end of the match their was a pitch invasion and some Celtic players were jostled and Ross Wallace was kicked (article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3710305.stm)

Martin O'Neills comments:

"I can understand the fans coming on the field at the end because it is Motherwell's last home game and I can understand that enthusiasm," said O'Neill.

"But there is a problem when an opposition player's kicked then it's a different matter all together.

"I don't want any raging headlines because Ross is okay but he took a fair kick."

Celtic reported the incident to the police but nobody was ever charged, the incident dropped out of the media headlines over the coming days and the club (Motherwell) received no sanction from the SFA.

Shows how utterly ridiculous the reaction to the final is purely cause the losing team can't handle being beat.

Very interesting, and O'Neill's comments suggest that he took his role responsibly by avoiding the need to sensationalise the situation. That no action was taken is a little surprising, but there you go.

Tom Hart RIP
25-05-2016, 08:51 PM
I can remember Kevin McKee being assaulted at Ibrox, Gordon Strachan at Parkhead, Deek and Lennon at Tynecastle and possibly Andy Goram????
I can't remember any sanctions for the clubs concerned but may be wrong.
I also remember a ref Dougal?? being chased by Hibs fan at a derby.

Green Man
25-05-2016, 09:00 PM
I also remember a ref Dougal?? being chased by Hibs fan at a derby.

Was that the 10 man derby, O'Connor last minute winner? I can remember a game where a guy went for the ref as he went down the tunnel at full time, I'm sure the guy was caught and banned.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-05-2016, 09:03 PM
The biggest difference between Hearts fans attacking Hibs/Celtic players at Tynecastle and Motherwell fans booting Celtic players at Fir Park is that this game took place at the national stadium. Policing the pitch and keeping fans off the pitch is **** all to do with Hibs. We have a massive police presence along the front of stands when we play Rangers at ER. Shambolic how few police were instructed to be present at full time.

Boyle89
25-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Mind when all those Celtic fans ran on the pitch when Lennon was attacked? And when we all ran on when deek was attacked? And if I remember correctly, was there not a massive riot when killie relegated Falkirk back in 2010? I'm pretty sure the Falkirk fans were goaded and all ran onto the pitch and went mental cause they couldn't handle losing...🤔.