PDA

View Full Version : Neutral view from England

JeMeSouviens
25-05-2016, 09:15 AM
This is interesting, the Guardian's minute-by-minute live report of the game:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2016/may/21/rangers-hibernian-scottish-cup-final-live?page=with:block-57407c72e4b0d7feade1c904

90+5 min: The scenes of celebration there were proper, limbs everywhere, writhing, delirious stuff. They’re seconds away...

The Hampden pitch is swarming with Hibs fans, some of whom are ... errrr ... giving it out to Rangers players. But the majority seem to fancy a celebration, and my word their team has earned it.

Scottish fans on the goalposts? Seen that before. And a few scuffles too towards the Rangers end. Not the best of endings.

Any trouble that flared up briefly has calmed down. We’ve just been heavily moralised to by the commentary team for a good five minutes there though, and I for one consider myself a better citizen now.

“This has completely spoilt the day”, says the Sky commentator. Laying it on thick there. It hasn’t, and it won’t, and it’s been sorted out well by the police. There were one or two idiots about but it’s been sorted out.

“Does it take the gloss off your victory today?” Alan Stubbs is asked. Just stop it.

OK, going to have to leave you there

I need to scoot off and do some work on the English final now – and if it’s half as good as that game was, I’ll be in a quivering heap by 7.30pm. Congratulations to Hibs, who over the 90 minutes deserved it fully and won it in the most dramatic, devastating fashion. Well worth savouring, even if some parties would rather wring their hands and make the story a non-football one for no real reason. Hibs’ hoodoo is broken after 114 years; Rangers can, at least, content themselves with next season’s top-flight place. Cheerio!

Crab apple
25-05-2016, 09:27 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2016/may/21/rangers-hibernian-scottish-cup-final-live?page=with:block-57407c72e4b0d7feade1c904

That's a fairly accurate, balanced and succinct summary. I see he also mentioned the flares set off by the Sevco fans but not the singing.

littleplum
25-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Enjoyed reading over the whole thing:

A sad, sad tale from Shane Cahill: “A friend of mine was living in Edinburgh a number of years ago. When I went to visit him with a couple of other friends we went to a match at Easter Road. We have been keeping an eye on Hibs results ever since. We developed an affinity for them based on a curse that we seemed to have applied to the team. We noticed that Hibs only ever won if one of the members of our group had sex in the week before the match. Needless to say, that was the season they were relegated.”

CallumLaidlaw
25-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Thats exactly the feedback I've been given from friends down south, and how I view it too. Yes a few poor clashes, but the pitch invasion itself happens regularly without anyone making out its disgusting. The Sportsound team were laying on thick how terrible it was long before they realised any squaring up of rangers players or fans.

SunshineOnLeith
25-05-2016, 10:04 AM
See the view you can have of a spontaneous outpouring of celebratory emotion when your opinion and outlook on football isn't tainted by sharing a country with the old firm?

Onion
25-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Thats exactly the feedback I've been given from friends down south, and how I view it too. Yes a few poor clashes, but the pitch invasion itself happens regularly without anyone making out its disgusting. The Sportsound team were laying on thick how terrible it was long before they realised any squaring up of rangers players or fans.

They were simply devastated by the result and missing out on the succulent lamb after-match dinner. Some of of the worst moralising and hypocrisy ever seen in Scottish football. The video of one of the greatest Cup winning goals ever, and the reaction of the journalists in the foreground says it all. Priceless :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
25-05-2016, 10:09 AM
The guardian employs journalists not reporters. They also use far fewer pictures to fill the gaps.

Steve-O
25-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Andy Walker was absolutely RABID in his attempts to moralise. Shouting about how much of a disgrace Hibs fans were at the top of his lungs. Absolute doughnut. There really is nothing worse that being told that "scenes" are "shocking" and "disgraceful". Ok the fighting was bad, but there was hardly any of it really (certainly no "riot" as some keep saying). I like nothing better than watching a pitch invasion, either after a game, or even those mini ones during a game when a goal is scored. Never understood people getting on the world's highest horse about people on the side of the pitch or even on the pitch, as long as they are not causing any trouble.

Lancs Harp
25-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Obviously living down south most of my friends have been delighted for Hibs and our fans and don't regard the pitch invasion as the end of civilisation. Rangers fans here of which there are numerous are bleating the same as they are north of the border. No one really listening to them now though here.

Skåne Hibs
25-05-2016, 10:46 AM
"Any trouble that flared up briefly has calmed down. We’ve just been heavily moralised to by the commentary team for a good five minutes there though, and I for one consider myself a better citizen now."

Classic quote :flag:

marinello59
25-05-2016, 11:02 AM
See the view you can have of a spontaneous outpouring of celebratory emotion when your opinion and outlook on football isn't tainted by sharing a country with the old firm?

Exactly. The agenda up here has been set and continues to be dominated up here by a compliant broadcast media and the hypocritical and inflammatory statements made by Sevco.

Liberal Hibby
25-05-2016, 11:38 AM
This is quite good too...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/22/hibernian-finally-exorcise-defeatist-demons-in-scottish-cup-fina/

Captain Trips
25-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Watching some of the"fights" sorry but about 90‰ of it was pathetic postulating with folk going in for a hit then running off. If it was a riot with the numbers being banded about involved I would expect there to have been lots of serious injuries.

By and large it is a joke.

JAY-ESS GREEN
25-05-2016, 11:47 AM
This is quite good too...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/22/hibernian-finally-exorcise-defeatist-demons-in-scottish-cup-fina/

One of the best summaries I've seen and though mentioning the trouble concentrates on the important bit we won the cup in fairytale fashion.

Haymaker
25-05-2016, 11:48 AM
My whole local watched it as it was before the palace game, only person who has said anything about the "riot" was, surprise surprise, a Chelsea fan. A pre-2003 fan.

SonOfDavidFrancey
25-05-2016, 11:54 AM
A case of 'the crowd in on the pitch they think it's all over it is now' as far as my English colleagues are concerned.

Pete
25-05-2016, 12:10 PM

Intelligent people who have no agenda ken what was goin on. Shame they are being drowned out by the loons.

Ringothedog
25-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Hibsing it’ – to steel one’s nerves and pluck improbable victory from the jaws of despair. Coined at Hampden Park at 4.45 pm on May 21, 2016.:flag::flag::flag: