PDA

View Full Version : How come?

Leith Green
24-05-2016, 02:02 PM
The tartan army invade wembley in 77 and wreck the stadium yet it is laughed about and basically lapped up by the media? Yet we are portrayed to be animals after Saturday?

CallumHibs07
24-05-2016, 02:06 PM
The media can't bear to talk about our historic win. Up them :giruy2:

nickwhibs
Had thought about that too. Even the England fans managed to put up with the 'severe and prolonged provocation.' In fact is there not a framed picture in the Scottish Football museum?

Killiehibbie
The tartan army invade wembley in 77 and wreck the stadium yet it is laughed about and basically lapped up by the media? Yet we are portrayed to be animals after Saturday?
Because the huns came on to fight with us and we all know they only did it to protect their players from getting murdered. Can't have those animals getting the blame for anything, it's not as if they done it before against the lesser greens.

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2016, 02:07 PM

It certainly wasn't laughed at by the English media at the time. There was a load of po-faced, sanctimonious stuff about riotous hooligans in much the same way as our Hunnish media are going on about Saturday.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2016, 02:09 PM
There were no fans of the now defunct Glasgow rangers on at Wembley as they all supported England?

Leith Green
24-05-2016, 02:09 PM
It certainly wasn't laughed at by the English media at the time. There was a load of po-faced, sanctimonious stuff about riotous hooligans in much the same way as our Hunnish media are going on about Saturday.

Lapped up by the Scottish media and such like though ..

#2 Double Tap
24-05-2016, 02:11 PM
andy walkers comments, he lit the flames. All that "this is shocking from hibs" stuff, and not even a mention of the rangers fans involvement.

hibs should ask for a public apology

iwasthere1972
24-05-2016, 02:19 PM
andy walkers comments, he lit the flames. All that "this is shocking from hibs" stuff, and not even a mention of the rangers fans involvement.

hibs should ask for a public apology

Totally agree. All you see on SSN etc is that Hibs will do everything to cooperate but nothing to say that that shower through west will do same although it's clear from all the footage that they were not innocent bystanders. Fair enough they were being goaded by Hibs fans but there was no reason why a bunch of losers had to get themselves on the pitch. Only one thing in their minds when they climbed out of the stands and it certainly wasn't to pick up the horses **** so that the Hibs supporters didn't slip on it.

GreenLake
24-05-2016, 02:19 PM

The difference is the treatment of their players. There is no time in my life where I will accept that any professional football player should have to endure even close proximity of uninvited fans. There have been many cases of pitch invasions where supporters have no ill wishes and truly are just being exuberant. I think it was the case for Hibs fans yesterday except for a small number of psychotic ***** whose reproductive capacities we might hope fail to succeed.

I can almost understand the temptation for fans who hate each other to exchange blows - but please do it somewhere discrete. Why do it where it will be stopped by police and stewards? Why be in front of national television and filmed causing later punishments as a risk?

Fans should be in the stands not on the pitch. Why do we excuse this kind of stupid behavior like it is understandable? There should be zero tolerance. Go on the pitch and never get into another game. Put it in small print on each ticket bought for a game.

Whoever pushed or tried to punch their players should be suitably punished. Absolute idiots who invite similar risks to our players at some future date. Complete and utter morons.

It is really sad and horrible that Hibs are tarnished by it.

Whatever Sevco are yammering on about we should hold ourselves to standards we define.

jacomo
24-05-2016, 03:31 PM
The difference is the treatment of their players. There is no time in my life where I will accept that any professional football player should have to endure even close proximity of uninvited fans. There have been many cases of pitch invasions where supporters have no ill wishes and truly are just being exuberant. I think it was the case for Hibs fans yesterday except for a small number of psychotic ***** whose reproductive capacities we might hope fail to succeed.

I can almost understand the temptation for fans who hate each other to exchange blows - but please do it somewhere discrete. Why do it where it will be stopped by police and stewards? Why be in front of national television and filmed causing later punishments as a risk?

Fans should be in the stands not on the pitch. Why do we excuse this kind of stupid behavior like it is understandable? There should be zero tolerance. Go on the pitch and never get into another game. Put it in small print on each ticket bought for a game.

Whoever pushed or tried to punch their players should be suitably punished. Absolute idiots who invite similar risks to our players at some future date. Complete and utter morons.

Whatever Sevco are yammering on about we should hold ourselves to standards we define.

I see it differently I'm afraid.

Without supporters there is no professional football. There is no Hampden and there is no huge spectacle.

Football is very safe these days. We are obedient, we respect authority, and we do what we're told. We abide by the rules.

Occasionally, just occasionally, something happens that is so joyous, so wonderful, that we go a bit crazy. That happened on Saturday. Some of our players have said that being there, in the midst of a pitch invasion, was fantastic. It seems like most of the Rangers players left the field with nothing more than wounded pride.

I am not condoning anyone who committed violence. They deserve what's coming to them. Apart from anything else, their stupid actions give an opportunity for people to tarnish us all.

But I'm not going to criticise those who went on the pitch and just wanted to celebrate the moment.

givescotlandfreedom
24-05-2016, 03:36 PM
I was told Chick Young was giving Hibs pelters for the pitch invasion when he himself ran on the turf at Wembley in 77. Seemingly he got torn up on off the ball.

DaveF
24-05-2016, 03:40 PM
I was told Chick Young was giving Hibs pelters for the pitch invasion when he himself ran on the turf at Wembley in 77. Seemingly he got torn up on off the ball.

Can't quite see the condemnation of 1977 is his article here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7058469.stm

DaveF
24-05-2016, 03:41 PM
And in this one, he admits to being on the park "consumed by excitement"

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13891355.Chick_Young_to_roll_back_the_St_Mirren__f ootball_years_for_Alzheimer_Scotland_charity_dinne r/

ancient hibee
24-05-2016, 03:45 PM

:top marks

Anyone who doesn't realise that the club will be forever tarnished by the actions of self indulgent fools is living in cloud cuckoo land.Doesn't matter what the investigation decides the main emphasis in places like Australia and Canada has not been on us winning the cup at last but on the scenes afterwards

#2 Double Tap
24-05-2016, 03:49 PM
:top marks

Anyone who doesn't realise that the club will be forever tarnished by the actions of self indulgent fools is living in cloud cuckoo land.Doesn't matter what the investigation decides the main emphasis in places like Australia and Canada has not been on us winning the cup at last but on the scenes afterwards

im sure they remember this>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INW-cZSg5xs

just a little bit more.

ancient hibee
24-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Without supporters there is no professional football. There is no Hampden and there is no huge spectacle.

Football is very safe these days. We are obedient, we respect authority, and we do what we're told. We abide by the rules.

Occasionally, just occasionally, something happens that is so joyous, so wonderful, that we go a bit crazy. That happened on Saturday. Some of our players have said that being there, in the midst of a pitch invasion, was fantastic. It seems like most of the Rangers players left the field with nothing more than wounded pride.

I am not condoning anyone who committed violence. They deserve what's coming to them. Apart from anything else, their stupid actions give an opportunity for people to tarnish us all.

But I'm not going to criticise those who went on the pitch and just wanted to celebrate the moment.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether or not players were assaulted(in fact Kenny Shiels said on Sportsound that Dean was upset about losing not anything else)it has now gone round the world that they were assaulted and that will always be the story,A very sad end to a great day.

ancient hibee
24-05-2016, 03:51 PM
im sure they remember this>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INW-cZSg5xs

just a little bit more.

Don't kid yourself.

gogs_t
24-05-2016, 04:50 PM

I'm pretty much with this.

Going back to the initial posting, I've been saying this since the media started harping on about the ripped turf and broken goalposts. The same Scottish media which have rejoiced in the memory of doing the same on a much grander scale at Wembley.

We don't have a reputation for running onto pitches at the end of a game. But after the last couple of months we have had, the timing of the winner and the obvious meaning of the win, I wasn't in the least bit surprised when I watched people do so.

Personally, I had no inclination to do so but I have many friends, young and old, male and female, who's emotions got the better of them and did go on.

I know that if no-one had gone on the pitch there would have been no trouble, but the vast majority of those who did were ordinary fans and if they had been aware of players being harassed and then fighting at the other end, most would have been apalled but for the few minutes they were on the field were blissfully unaware.

I suppose some of us were a bit naive in thinking that this pitch invasion may have ended well with players being carried shoulder high as the heroes they were - which if we were playing many other teams in the league it may have done.

But unfortunately we have some idiots in our support who did tarnish the clubs reputation in their actions towards players who should have been allowed to leave the field without any intimidation, and others who thought it 'big' to provoke the opposition fans, but unfortunately it was The Rangers and they were never going accept that.

If we had the benefit of hindsight most probably wouldn't have gone on the pitch, but it really is because of the actions of a few that we are where we are.

Arch Stanton
24-05-2016, 05:12 PM
I don't remember 77 being joked about in the media. At that time the reputation of football fans and Scottish fans in particular was at a very low ebb.

Putting fences round the pitch was done in terms of keeping the 'animals in cages'. Scottish fans were vilified for years after.

Sure, fans look back on it with something like nostalgia but I sure if the Sun or Record reported on it the would refer to it as Scotland's disgrace.

And it will be the same with Hibs.

There seems to be some expectation on here that we will be exonerated by an enquiry - we won't.

There will be pages and pages of waffle which will be reported in terms of 'The trouble was caused by Hibs' fans invading the pitch with Ranger's players being attacked and criminal damage being caused to the ground'.

There will be reports of violent exchanges between opposing fans, yes, but that's about all.

The fact that the media have been spouting a load of lies about Hibs will never get another mention - the damage has been done anyway.

That is why we need to be proactive in showing ourselves in a good light. As it stands it is Rangers initiatives that are getting headlines and we are doing nothing.