PDA

View Full Version : My Cup Final experience in the USA...

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Well, we done it! I have to be honest in the fact that there's part of me that will forever be absolutely gutted that I wasn't there. It'll follow me to the grave. I was back for the League Cup Final in March (DOH!) but due to being on the verge of buying a new house with my wife and daughter, spending a small fortune, money was unfortunately just a bit too tight to throw in another trip back home for the Scottish Cup Final.

I've lived here in California for 4 years now, but previous to this I was a devoted Season Ticket holder as well as attending near on every single away match. The idea of ever missing a Hibs game was laughable, especially a Semi/Final - I'd be one of the first in the que! I got a good few laughs at a farewell dinner with friends and family (The Guru - superb!) I had on the night before I departed for the States, when following the question 'what are you going to miss most mate about moving away from home? No doubt the Fami...' - THE HIBS! Was my quick response.

Watching the final here via HibsTV was hard. I feel like I've had one of the best days of my life, but on the other hand, missed the best day of my life.

I managed to capture the footage of the last 4 minutes of the game, with me celebrating, making an arse of myself, through FaceBook live. I've decided to stick it up on YouTube. You could say I go a bit over the top, however I have no shame or regret what so ever.

Guy's, WE DONE IT! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO7NiMarN48

Hongkong Phooey
24-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Well, we done it! I have to be honest in the fact that there's part of me that will forever be absolutely gutted that I wasn't there. It'll follow me to the grave. I was back for the League Cup Final in March (DOH!) but due to being on the verge of buying a new house with my wife and daughter, spending a small fortune, money was unfortunately just a bit too tight to throw in another trip back home for the Scottish Cup Final
I've lived here in California for 4 years now, but previous to this I was a devoted Season Ticket holder as well as attending near on every single away match. The idea of ever missing a Hibs game was laughable, especially a Semi/Final - I'd be one of the first in the que! I got a good few laughs at a farewell dinner with friends and family (The Guru - superb!) I had on the night before I departed for the States, when following the question 'what are you going to miss most mate about moving away from home? No doubt the Fami...' - THE HIBS! Was my quick response.

Watching the final here via HibsTV was hard. I feel like I've had one of the best days of my life, but on the other hand, missed the best day of my life.

I managed to capture the footage of the last 4 minutes of the game, with me celebrating, making an arse of myself, through FaceBook live. I've decided to stick it up on YouTube. You could say I go a bit over the top, however I have no shame or regret what so ever.

Totally understand mate. I've been out of Scotland a similar time and was the same as you - season ticket holder for many, many years. I've flown back for the previous 2 recent Scottish cup finals and was so close to not doing it this time, but my mate persuaded me to do it. So glad he did.

Your video shows to everyone how passionate you are about the hibs. I've met many folks out partying this weekend that weren't at the game, in fact I met a few that had flown in for the parade. Only 21k could make the game mate so don't feel gutted about it.

GGTTH

Lancs Harp
24-05-2016, 09:12 AM
That's just magic fella :greengrin

:cup:

Jones28
24-05-2016, 09:32 AM
That had me in tears mate!

murray26
24-05-2016, 09:41 AM
I really enjoyed that.. Thanks for posting..

JimBHibees
24-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Brilliant your language was impressively restrained. :greengrin

Superb. We done it. Funny as when you said to your kid I have waited 28 years and you have only waited 9 months. Thanks for sharing. :flag:

hibsdaft
24-05-2016, 09:57 AM
perfectly captures that incredible mix of joy and terror of the final few minutes. superb.

jacomo
24-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Bad luck mate. I felt very lucky and honoured to be there. I made the opposite decision to you this season, purely out of circumstance (just couldn't justify going to the LC Final as was starting a new job the following week).

Sunshine on Leith felt like it was as much for the people who couldn't be there, as for those of us in Hampden. I felt very conscious of the many thousands of Hibees watching on TV, and I hoped we did them proud.

24-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Well, we done it! I have to be honest in the fact that there's part of me that will forever be absolutely gutted that I wasn't there. It'll follow me to the grave. I was back for the League Cup Final in March (DOH!) but due to being on the verge of buying a new house with my wife and daughter, spending a small fortune, money was unfortunately just a bit too tight to throw in another trip back home for the Scottish Cup Final.

Absolutely magic buddy :thumbsup: was actually welling up watching that video! Thats what its all about!

Fair play to your wee one for staying so calm with all that screaming going on lol!!!

scott7_0(Prague)
24-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Similar to yourself mate, I also made the trip back in March and decided then i wasn't doing the second trip due to other commitments with family and work.

I however was lucky enough that i had my old football team over in Prague (35 lads) to enjoy the game with and the pub i was in was full of other Scottish football fans from different clubs including Rangers. So the occasion was not so bad as i thought it might be.

The Hibs fans in the bar celebrated amongst the other fans at the end, all in good fun even with the Jambos and Rangers fans who were very supportive of the entire occasion. We had a wee BAR Invasion and tried to get a horse in the bar to make it feel like the real deal. :-)

#GGTTH

erin go bragh
24-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Brilliant mate . Had tears at Hampden . ( and again watching your clip )Every Hibs fan in the world , whether at the game or not felt the joy and sheer relief that we had finally done what no Hibs team had done for far too long .

GGTTH 2016 SC WINNERS

Johnny Clash
24-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Brilliant video! Just shows how much this means - banging the dug's cage and trying to climb up the wall. Immense ... thanks for posting.

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Absolutely magic buddy :thumbsup: was actually welling up watching that video! Thats what its all about!

Fair play to your wee one for staying so calm with all that screaming going on lol!!!

Thanks man. I think she was more in a bit of shock/fright than anything haha

SmashinGlass
24-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Similar to yourself mate, I also made the trip back in March and decided then i wasn't doing the second trip due to other commitments with family and work.

I however was lucky enough that i had my old football team over in Prague (35 lads) to enjoy the game with and the pub i was in was full of other Scottish football fans from different clubs including Rangers. So the occasion was not so bad as i thought it might be.

The Hibs fans in the bar celebrated amongst the other fans at the end, all in good fun even with the Jambos and Rangers fans who were very supportive of the entire occasion. We had a wee BAR Invasion and tried to get a horse in the bar to make it feel like the real deal. :-)

#GGTTH

I heard this story last night from one of your team mates. Big James, the keeper. He was the first to text me after the game. Outstanding stuff!!!

One Day Soon
24-05-2016, 10:53 AM
That's quality.

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 10:56 AM
When Hibs had received an additional small amount of tickets, think it was Monday or Tuesday, I seriously sat at work on SkyScanner staring at the $1,300 flight price on the screen, for my entire lunch break! Going back and forth with the question - ...just how long would it really take for the wife to start talking to my again?..

GreenLake
24-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Great stuff! I was wondering if you jump about the room at early kickoff games too and wake the house up. So glad we have HibsTV!

WoreTheGreen
24-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Pissing myself laughing but with tears blinding me . Should i seek help?

penihibs
24-05-2016, 11:02 AM
God Bless you Son.
God Bless the Hibs.

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Great stuff! I was wondering if you jump about the room at early kickoff games too and wake the house up. So glad we have HibsTV!

Can't say enough about how grateful I am for HibsTV bud!! Every other Saturday at 7am/4.30am (12.30pm Scottish time kick offs, always a sore one!)

Wee Effen Bee
24-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Absolutely fantastic Cali-Hibs. 28? You're just a bairn, some of us have been waiting 50 years plus for that. Don't beat yourself up for not being there physically - watching you go radio-radge-mental showed you were there in spirit. All the best to you and the Sacramento Hibs Supporters Club (you, your partner and the bairn!:greengrin:aok:

Albanian Hibs
24-05-2016, 11:27 AM
In tears again. Thanks for posting.

GreenLake
24-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Can't say enough about how grateful I am for HibsTV bud!! Every other Saturday at 7am/4.30am (12.30pm Scottish time kick offs, always a sore one!)

I can't wait for my wife to see this! She thinks I am mental, but I'm not the only one. ;)

ano hibby
24-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Great stuff mate.
The fans that were there were singing for guys like you & so many others dead & alive who couldn't make it in person.

Thecat23
24-05-2016, 11:45 AM
That is just fantastic. Brilliant reaction and no matter where you watched this we all got to see it!

Thanks for posting.

brog
24-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Absolutely superb!! Your moving around, unable to stand still for a second was like looking at myself in a mirror, with, unfortunately a 40 year age gap!! Well done, great post!

Hi Heid Yin
24-05-2016, 11:55 AM
That was brilliant viewing and fair brought a wee tear to my eye as I went through the same thing as I couldn't get a ticket.
Thank you for sharing. :flag::flag::flag:

marinello59
24-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Brilliant. It's put another massive smile on to my face and more bloody tears.

Mr White
24-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Just fantastic cal-hibs :thumbsup:

Craig_HFC
24-05-2016, 12:06 PM
There's a guy on the Bounce who started a thread about being gutted to have missed the game & one poster, called Greenmachine, summed it up beautifully with the following:

For what it's worth, as far as I am concerned every Hibernian supporter living or dead was at Hampden on Saturday when the third goal went in and the final whistle blew.

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 12:34 PM
I can't wait for my wife to see this! She thinks I am mental, but I'm not the only one. ;)

Haha, great stuff! Luckily for me I've managed to convert my wife into quite the Hibs supporter! She not quite 'up at 7am for every single home game' like me, but she catches her fair few! :agree:

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 12:45 PM
There's a guy on the Bounce who started a thread about being gutted to have missed the game & one poster, called Greenmachine, summed it up beautifully with the following:

I like this! Brilliantly said! We're fortunate that we live in a day and age where Hibs fans like myself who live on the other side of the world, have access to wonderful things like HibsTV for the games, and periscope/FaceBook Live, which was superb to catch some of the Parade with!

You know, one of the most ironic things about the whole situation? About 30 minutes after the full time whistle, I insisted to the wife that we pack a bag and jump in the car and go and celebrate somewhere. She was very quick to agree, so we did. First stop was to a shop to get some paint to write on the car with (got a good few 'honks' as they say here, from folk on the road as they saw the message and us singing our heads off to The Proclaimers etc). Then we just drove and drove.

We ended up in San Francisco (about a 3 hour drive) and went all out with a big fancy hotel, high class room, and between that, as well as all the food and drink, We easily spent around half of what the plane ticket would of cost to send me back home!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the warm felt messages guy's. You know, a lot of you are right, part of me doe's feel like I was there.

GREAT to be a Hibee!

:flag:

Bay Area Hibees
24-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Mate I'm in San Francisco 10 years ticket holder before that.

I was lucky to get back for the game and still In edin but nearly didn't make it.

Let's get together to re live the day !

California-Hibs
24-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Mate I'm in San Francisco 10 years ticket holder before that.

I was lucky to get back for the game and still In edin but nearly didn't make it.

Let's get together to re live the day !

Superb mate, seen you kicking around on this board and always been meaning to give you a message. I do Statistical Soccer (Football) Reporting for a few teams in and around San Fran and I'm down there a few times a month doing a report.
Drop me a line sometime and we'll definitely get a Hibs day planned!

SteveHFC
24-05-2016, 01:07 PM
That is amazing mate. :thumbsup:

DaveF
24-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Great OP :thumbsup:

Centre Hawf
24-05-2016, 04:15 PM
As the Bounce quote says every Hibs fan around the globe, On earth, and in the heavens were there on Saturday. It was our glorious day. No one can take that from us and they never will. I love the Hibs family.

Im glad that everyone got to cherish it in their own way. Hope you all had as special a day as I did.

Kato
24-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Totally understand mate. I've been out of Scotland a similar time and was the same as you - season ticket holder for many, many years. I've flown back for the previous 2 recent Scottish cup finals and was so close to not doing it this time, but my mate persuaded me to do it. So glad he did.

Your video shows to everyone how passionate you are about the hibs. I've met many folks out partying this weekend that weren't at the game, in fact I met a few that had flown in for the parade. Only 21k could make the game mate so don't feel gutted about it.

GGTTH

Brilliant mate. Ma dug goes nuts when Hibs win the Scottish Cup as well.

Bay Area Hibees
24-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Superb mate, seen you kicking around on this board and always been meaning to give you a message. I do Statistical Soccer (Football) Reporting for a few teams in and around San Fran and I'm down there a few times a month doing a report.
Drop me a line sometime and we'll definitely get a Hibs day planned!

Magic
my email is steveg137@yahoo.com can you drop me a line

HibeesLA
24-05-2016, 07:24 PM

Great video mate. A little bit down the road from you in Santa Monica. Been here almost 18 years now, and unfortunately wasn't able to make this game due to cost (trust me, I'm regretting every minute of not having just bought a plane ticket). My house was pretty much the same as that. Watched it with my 13 and 15 year olds, hibs tops on, HibsTV on the big screen and blasting out of the speakers, my wife trying to sleep through it all (no chance after the first goal 3 minutes in!). With the HibsTV delay (about 2-3 minutes in my house), i had my phone on silent and hidden away so I wouldn't know what was happening before I saw it, so I think the game had actually finished before I knew we were 3-2 up!

My daughter said after the game that she's never seen me shake or cry like that in her life. She's coming over in July, and I'm hoping we get a home game for the 1st leg in Europe as she will be in Edinburgh on that date.

Even though I wasn't there, it was still brilliant to watch live, and still felt part of it all.

iwasthere1972
24-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Quality. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
24-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Loved that video. Passion, excitement, nerves, joy and a great line to your kid :greengrin

(((Fergus)))
24-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Fantastic video and love how blasé the wee one is – obviously quite used to daddy shouting at the (Hibs) TV!!

bigwheel
24-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Absolute poetry. Thanks for sharing.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lugz
24-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Haha that video is brilliant! Your wee lad just sitting oblivious to what is going on, what a great moment to show him when he grows up.

TrinityHibs
24-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for sharing Cal. Just part of the worldwide experience that is Hibs Scottish Cup Winners 2016. You looked like a lot of people around me to be fair:flag::flag:

NAE NOOKIE
24-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Brilliant mate ... utterly brilliant ....... you said you weren't at Hampden on Saturday, oh yes you were .... you are a true Hibby http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Have to admit in this edit that the tears are flowing .... don't tell me that guys like you who couldn't make it aren't true Hibbies ..... just love this post :flag:

The_Sauz
24-05-2016, 10:52 PM
First class mate :thumbsup:
Loved the bit when you said to you're daughter.....I been waiting 28 years for this and you 9 months :faf:

The_Sauz
24-05-2016, 11:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJH7bu4FSlk&ab_channel=RubenSanchez

Steve-O
25-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Goosebumps again here, great stuff. About 10 of us watched in a pub in Wellington and of course the scenes were pretty similar there!

Similar feelings here about not being able to make it. Was there in 91 and 2007 but got a 7 week old and got married this year so coming back for it was a non-starter. As I said on the PM board though, if I'd been guaranteed that outcome beforehand, the credit card would've been blasted!

Said this week the new personal dream for me now is to see them win it in person! :hibees

FranckSuzy
25-05-2016, 09:14 AM

Wonderful, just wonderful :not worth

Loved the :giruy2:to The :lolrangers: especially :faf: :top marks:thumbsup:

Man Down Under
25-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Great video!

I had to watch it from New Zealand. I have a rangers mate I work with but when I got home I decided I just wanted to watch it by myself, no distractions.
From 10 minutes before kickoff to 10 minutes after the final whistle my heart was thumping. After Grays goal I couldn't even watch the television.
It was 5am here when the third goal went in. My flatmate pooped himself because he thought I had set the house on fire (we have a log fire) and I was trying to stamp the flames out haha.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk