PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray

iwasthere1972
23-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Noticed that he's currently down 2-1 in sets in the French Open. Could he come back and win it 3-2? :wink:

No doubt been celebrating a wee bit over the weekend.

corby hibee
23-05-2016, 11:43 PM
meh andy is only a hibee when it suits him, last he said he was a gunner in a video, his brother on the other hand tho.

HibsNutter
23-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Don't think he or Gary Anderson are really arsed about us tbh, Jamie seems to be a big hibee though

monktonharp
23-05-2016, 11:49 PM
eh, whae's gary Anderson?

Vault Boy
24-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Jamie and Judy are definitely more vocal Hibees, but even when Andy was interviewed by Barcelona's media team, he said he was a Hibs fan. Incidentally, the OP might be right about the comeback, let's hope he can truly Hibs it. :agree:

Baader
24-05-2016, 12:11 AM
eh, whae's gary Anderson?

Darts player and current PDC Champion. Andy Murray is a Hibby though. No doubt about it.

monktonharp
24-05-2016, 12:15 AM
oh, I hit a bullseye there. do remember the name now, from EYEMOOTH and was definitely a Hibby I was told:confused:

Vault Boy
24-05-2016, 12:21 AM
oh, I hit a bullseye there. do remember the name now, from EYEMOOTH and was definitely a Hibby I was told:confused:

His family are all dyed in wool Hibees but he's pretty disinterested in football personally. :aok:

hibees 7062
24-05-2016, 12:29 AM
http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/main-image-landscape/public/andymurray.jpg?itok=bo0itDbp

hibees 7062
24-05-2016, 12:29 AM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01510/SNA1810ANDY---_1510876a.jpg

hibees 7062
24-05-2016, 12:32 AM
http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Jamie-Murray-Patron-web.jpg And Jamie

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 12:38 AM
Monotone murray. A spoilt wee brat who cannot comprehend how lucky he is to do something he loves and paid over the odds but still cant put a smile on his pus!!!. Aye he trained with us once. So what. Just another sports celeb looking for more attention. Him and his racist wife.

hfc rd
24-05-2016, 12:59 AM
Monotone murray. A spoilt wee brat who cannot comprehend how lucky he is to do something he loves and paid over the odds but still cant put a smile on his pus!!!. Aye he trained with us once. So what. Just another sports celeb looking for more attention. Him and his racist wife.

Racist wife?

Baader
24-05-2016, 01:02 AM

Woah! What's he ever done to you? Just because he doesn't act like Ken Dodd off court doesn't make him out to be the villain papers like the Daily Mail want him to be.

His Mum and Grandad were there on Saturday lapping it up. Save the spite for some Hibs hater more deserving of it - of which there are plenty.

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:07 AM
Racist wife?

Yeah she was caught out shouting abuse at one of his opponents by a lip reader a couple of years back. Then she wore a t shirt saying parental advisory in the next game.
Cant stand him or his hangers on.

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:11 AM
Woah! What's he ever done to you? Just because he doesn't act like Ken Dodd off court doesn't make him out to be the villain papers like the Daily Mail want him to be.

His Mum and Grandad were there on Saturday lapping it up. Save the spite for some Hibs hater more deserving of it - of which there are plenty.

Aye his mum would go to the opening of a crisp packet if she thought it would enhance her Celebrity status.
Ken dodd???, bit off the mark mate. Paid millions to be top 5 at best in his field of

monktonharp
24-05-2016, 01:15 AM
http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/main-image-landscape/public/andymurray.jpg?itok=bo0itDbpyou work for the daily record?:wink:

Baader
24-05-2016, 01:16 AM
Aye his mum would go to the opening of a crisp packet if she thought it would enhance her Celebrity status.
Ken dodd???, bit off the mark mate. Paid millions to be top 5 at best in his field of

Total bo**ocks pal. I've met Judy Murray a number of times and chatted football. A more keen Hibs fan you will not meet. Clearly you don't like her son that's up to you but they are Hibs fans like us, like it or not.

Andy is currently seeded world no. 2 btw.

monktonharp
24-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Ken dodd???, bit off the mark mate. Paid millions to be top 5 at best in his field ofyou really don't like Andy Murray, do you?

monktonharp
24-05-2016, 01:20 AM
Total bo**ocks pal. I've met Judy Murray a number of times and chatted football. A more keen Hibs fan you will not meet. Clearly you don't like her son that's up to you but they are Hibs fans like us, like it or not.

Andy is currently seeded world no. 2 btw.your a lot faster than me on this keyboard ****

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:21 AM
Aye thats it mate. I am sure there are thousands more hibbies more deserving of first pics wi the cup than the likes of grant stott and andy murray. Celebs mean nothing to me. Just a tragic insight into todays society.

hibs69
24-05-2016, 01:23 AM
Always root for Andy Murray, watch his Wimbledon stuff........., but always feel like walking along to the bridge and flinging myself off after his interviews.

KWJ
24-05-2016, 01:25 AM

Utter pish on the racist wife remark.

She was caught swearing by a lip reader, nothing racist. It was against berdych in the Australian open January last year.

He had a trial with rangers I think, not Hibs. But was brought up a hibee with his bro as grandad played for reserves .

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Nothing against any hibby mate. Tennis bores me so does he. Do u get paid millions to do a job u love??, cmon andy put a smile on yer pus pal!!! Stop throwing tantrums everytime u get beat or abusing officials. You are in a position of priviledge.

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:28 AM
Utter pish on the racist wife remark.

She was caught swearing by a lip reader, nothing racist. It was against berdych in the Australian open January last year.

He had a trial with rangers I think, not Hibs. But was brought up a hibee with his bro as grandad played for reserves .

She called his opponent something and it had to do with the country he came from...either that or she could have sued. She wallowed in it all. Loves the attention.

Baader
24-05-2016, 01:29 AM
Aye thats it mate. I am sure there are thousands more hibbies more deserving of first pics wi the cup than the likes of grant stott and andy murray. Celebs mean nothing to me. Just a tragic insight into todays society.

The Murray family are more than just celebrities though. Judy put tennis on the map in this country when it was laughable to consider anyone here even playing the sport. Her son is a two time Grand Slam winner, Olympic gold medalist and happens to be the man who done the unthinkable in winning Wimbledon after a Hibs like Scottish Cup hiatus. Good that you dislike some 'celebrity' Hibs fans but I prefer to save that for people who actively dislike our great club and we're hearing from a lot of them just now...

GGTTH

KWJ
24-05-2016, 01:30 AM
So he's not smiley smiley Carole smilie.

Nobody an doubt he's genuine after some of his interviews and his humour shines through in the charity sketches and appearances he does.

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:33 AM
Met him twice. Both times an arrogant douche. Me me me. No time for him. Not falling out with anyone. Was he there on saturday???.
Must be a massive hibs fan then eh??.

monktonharp
24-05-2016, 01:34 AM
I have always felt that to be a winner in his type of individual sport, you will be different and single minded. he'll never win personality of the year but he can hardly be described as boring? he is at the peak of his chosen profession and very likely to win Wimbledon this year. I never bet, but would back him for it this time.

KWJ
24-05-2016, 01:35 AM
She called his opponent something and it had to do with the country he came from...either that or she could have sued. She wallowed in it all. Loves the attention.

IIRC it was foff you flashy Czech.

Had she said f off you dirty Czech ******* or Thomas berdych is a f ing refugee then fair enough, that's out of order.

But she didn't. There was a lot of needle in the game and her insult was that he was flashy.

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:38 AM
I have always felt that to be a winner in his type of individual sport, you will be different and single minded. he'll never win personality of the year but he can hardly be described as boring? he is at the peak of his chosen profession and very likely to win Wimbledon this year. I never bet, but would back him for it this time.

Aye your right mate. I take nothing away from his achievements but before he won anything he was a spoilt little clown who embarrassed himself. Smashing rackets spouting pish and blaming everyone else for his own shortcomings. Somebody earlier said he had a trial with rangers??, sounds about right.

SunshineOnLeith
24-05-2016, 01:42 AM
I think Halifaxhibby has been drinking from the same bottle as whoever wrote The Rangers' statement yesterday.

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:44 AM
IIRC it was foff you flashy Czech.

Had she said f off you dirty Czech ******* or Thomas berdych is a f ing refugee then fair enough, that's out of order.

But she didn't. There was a lot of needle in the game and her insult was that he was flashy.

Sorry then kwj didnt realise that. Just knew she was involved in shouting abuse at a player from another country. Acceptable for those drinking champagne and strawberries but you try that at easter road!!!!

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:49 AM
I think Halifaxhibby has been drinking from the same bottle as whoever wrote The Rangers' statement yesterday.

Nah mate just cant stand celebs and other high profile people hogging headlines when the rest of us turn up week in week out.
Sorry.

OsloHibs
24-05-2016, 01:49 AM

I was thinking exactly that. What an angry man halifax hibby is tonight..

Halifaxhibby
24-05-2016, 01:51 AM
Sorry. Just my opinion. Anyway im still celebrating so i'll let u all crack on. All the best and didnt mean to rub anyone up the wrong way.

GGTTH
FTHMFC

Baader
24-05-2016, 01:52 AM
Nah mate just cant stand celebs and other high profile people hogging headlines when the rest of us turn up week in week out.
Sorry.

Andy Murray wisnae there though you said that yourself. French Open started two days later. Relax. We won the Scottish Cup!! Saw Irvine Welsh on Saturday - he spends a lot of time in the US and Ireland now. You hate him too?

Baader
24-05-2016, 01:59 AM
Sorry. Just my opinion. Anyway im still celebrating so i'll let u all crack on. All the best and didnt mean to rub anyone up the wrong way.

GGTTH
FTHMFC

Fair play mate. Enjoy!

SanFranHibs
24-05-2016, 02:00 AM
Met him twice. Both times an arrogant douche. Me me me. No time for him. Not falling out with anyone. Was he there on saturday???.

Yes, just like those part time fans, the Proclaimers. AWOL

:wink:

monktonharp
24-05-2016, 02:04 AM
Andy Murray wisnae there though you said that yourself. French Open started two days later. Relax. We won the Scottish Cup!! Saw Irvine Welsh on Saturday - he spends a lot of time in the US and Ireland now. You hate him too? I have issues with Welsh!:greengrin seriously though, he could not find time to mix wi' normal Hibbies on our train to Maribor. seemed to prefer to stay with his close group in the first class carriage. each tae there ain though

Billy McKirdy
24-05-2016, 02:09 AM
Big Andy Murray fan, his dedication, skill and stamina not to mention his world beating talent is something we should all be proud of. and he's a Hibby as well? that makes him more than just a celebrity fan, he's a legend who's got green and white blood.
All our playing staff could only dream to play at the level he's achieved in his chosen sport.

GreenLake
24-05-2016, 04:20 AM

He was fine with us when we met him at the BNP Paribas Open but we didn't expect him to godfather our kids or have warm showers with us.

Dunbar Hibee
24-05-2016, 04:21 AM
Aye your right mate. I take nothing away from his achievements but before he won anything he was a spoilt little clown who embarrassed himself. Smashing rackets spouting pish and blaming everyone else for his own shortcomings. Somebody earlier said he had a trial with rangers??, sounds about right.

To be honest, it's you that's coming across as the clown.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-05-2016, 04:49 AM
Wow.

Allant1981
24-05-2016, 05:06 AM

Aye ok,you know him that well to know he is a spoiled brat, a wee bit jealous are you?

RoxburghHibs
24-05-2016, 05:12 AM

You are coming across as a real plonker.

Who cares what his voice sounds like -Andy regularly takes the pish out of himself about this. However it's his voice ffs. Also you abuse him because he doesn't smile on court......I mean what the f£@k.

Bet you prefer he lost but smiled and spoke very proper and clear English

rotherhamrob
24-05-2016, 05:30 AM

Are you only a hibby if you were there ?
Guess that's me fuc@#@ then and all those at the parade who weren't at the game

Crammond Hibee
24-05-2016, 05:30 AM
Big Andy Murray fan, his dedication, skill and stamina not to mention his world beating talent is something we should all be proud of. and he's a Hibby as well? that makes him more than just a celebrity fan, he's a legend who's got green and white blood.
All our playing staff could only dream to play at the level he's achieved in his chosen sport.

He is Scottish and an absolute legend.2 Grand Slam titles,Olympic Gold and Davis Cup. Absolutely awesome !!!

Peevemor
24-05-2016, 05:33 AM

The proclaimers weren't there either apparently.

Beefster
24-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Sorry then kwj didnt realise that. Just knew she was involved in shouting abuse at a player from another country. Acceptable for those drinking champagne and strawberries but you try that at easter road!!!!

Right, so your rant was completely uninformed. Who'd have guessed?

Yorkshire HFC
24-05-2016, 05:42 AM
Andy Murray is the greatest British sportsman in my lifetime.

He is not a "celeb".

As someone once said, if you know only football, then you know nothing.

TrinityHibs
24-05-2016, 05:53 AM
A very poor set of posts Halifax. So many inaccuracies. Hope the hangover isn't too brutal

Platinum Scotty
24-05-2016, 05:57 AM

totally agree Rotheramrob, I wasn't there so now according to Halifax I am a non supporter! Gutted to find that out!!!!

To hate non celebs is a waste of effort, such as TOWIE and Made in Chelsea, I would agree are utter no marks but not worth hating, to slate Andy cause he was focused enough as a youngster to move away and commit 100% to his sport seems an utterly jealous view on life

Personally, my view of sporting people is that if they aren't the funniest person in the world that doesn't make them any less of a talent

And to wrongly claim someone's partner is a racist based on hearsay is just out of order.

marinello59
24-05-2016, 06:01 AM
I think somebody may have a sore head this morning. :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
24-05-2016, 06:08 AM
AM comes across as quite shy in front of the media and I think I remember him saying it took him a long time to be comfortable dealing with that side of his job. For me, he's one of the most genuine sportsmen/celebrities I can think of and I'd much rather have someone like him that than a politician-type with false smiles and saying everything is great all the time. I also wouldn't say he milks Hibs at all, if anything it's the other way around. Glad to have him as a Hibee and good luck to him in the open.

JimBHibees
24-05-2016, 06:10 AM
AM comes across as quite shy in front of the media and I think I remember him saying it took him a long time to be comfortable dealing with that side of his job. For me, he's one of the most genuine sportsmen/celebrities I can think of and I'd much rather have someone like him that than a politician-type with false smiles and saying everything is great all the time. I also wouldn't say he milks Hibs at all, if anything it's the other way around. Glad to have him as a Hibee and good luck to him in the open.

Absolutely guy is a legend in his sport who just happens to come from a Hibs supporting family, what's not too like.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2016, 06:13 AM
A more dedicated sportsman you will struggle to find, and comes from a Hibs supporting family too. Maybe not the fan that goes every week or even at all, but he classes himself as a fan and thats good enough for me. :top marks

SlickShoes
24-05-2016, 06:41 AM
Getting on at him for not going to games hahaha, he's a wee bit busy being the second best tennis player on the entire planet earth.

I'd much rather he dedicate himself to his sport than his media image, the way the media get on at him for not being like other celebrities is ludicrous, he's first and foremost the best tennis player ever to come from the UK, any media duties or how he comes across on camera come a distant second to his sport.

worcesterhibby
24-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Total pish Halifax. Murray is a legend and a role model with a fantastic Hibs supporting family. You've been in Yorkshire too long the bitterness is starting to rub off on you.

itslegaltender
24-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Supported Yes campaign, his Scottish team is Hibs and he has survived competitively in the greatest era of Tennis. Guys a furking legend.

makaveli1875
24-05-2016, 06:56 AM
murray has earned his celebrity with some historic wins , britains wimbledon/davis cup jinx went back almost as far as our scottish cup hoodoo . murray first beat djokovic to end the wimbledon one then pretty much single handed won britain the davis cup for the 1st time in 80 odd years , won olympic gold and silver as well as a load of other prestigious events around the world . he's had to do all this against some of the greatest players that have ever lived . we should all have a bit of pride in him... he's 1 of our own :not worth:not worth

h1bee123
24-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Murray is Scotland's and Britain's greatest sportsmen of this century without doubt. His determination and character are outstanding and he is a great role model for today's youth.

The only reason for is reserved personality in front of the camera is because of the whole supporting anyone but England which was just said as a joke to Henman and the media took it too far. If you get to see him not on camera, he has a great dry sense of humour.

eastcoasthibby
24-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Nothing against any hibby mate. Tennis bores me so does he. Do u get paid millions to do a job u love??, cmon andy put a smile on yer pus pal!!! Stop throwing tantrums everytime u get beat or abusing officials. You are in a position of priviledge.

Seems like you have a massive chip on your shoulders , which your obviously welcome to have , bringing it on here and having a pop at celeb Hibs fans, coming out with a few apparent inaccuraccies is a big bit out of order for me ... Maybe you should create an "I hate celebrities that don't smile all the time or take advantage of their status " website .
Abusing officials is never right but watching football alone week in and week out, officials get it tighter from players and managers ..miles more than what Andy Murray gives to an umpire ...???!!!!

Diclonius
24-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Officially the first hibs.net argument since the final, and it's about tennis. This board really has changed for the better.

Scorrie
24-05-2016, 08:08 AM
A more dedicated sportsman you will struggle to find, and comes from a Hibs supporting family too. Maybe not the fan that goes every week or even at all, but he classes himself as a fan and thats good enough for me. :top marks

Not just a Hibs supporting family but his grandad played for us as well.

Frazerbob
24-05-2016, 08:15 AM
We've just had our greatest day as Hibs fans and Halifax takes the opportunity to make a complete and utter tit of himself. What an absolute roaster.

hibee_nation
24-05-2016, 08:25 AM
The seethe for Andy in England is unbelievable some really do hate him as much as rangers hate us

stoneyburn hibs
24-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Lol

J-C
24-05-2016, 08:40 AM

:agree: This.

I've met him a couple of times and he's a very nice bloke with a good sense of humour, he's not comfortable with the media stuff but gets on with it. He's very very dedicated in what he does, his training and fitness regime would put many top so called sports stars to shame.
The difference between a fan and supporter....one goes to games the other can't but still love the club.

ian cruise
24-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Brings me this back to the cup, did anyone see Boyle tweet Judy Murray asking for free Wimbledon tickets yesterday? She replied Maybe :wink:

mixumatosis
24-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Murray is Scotland's and Britain's greatest sportsmen of this century without doubt. His determination and character are outstanding and he is a great role model for today's youth.

The only reason for is reserved personality in front of the camera is because of the whole supporting anyone but England which was just said as a joke to Henman and the media took it too far. If you get to see him not on camera, he has a great dry sense of humour.

Reckon Chris Hoy and/or Bradley Wiggins might well run him close but they are all in the ballpark.

If more Scots had the attitude and work ethic of Andy (and Jamie) Murray the country wouldn't be the sporting backwater that it is.

jacomo
24-05-2016, 10:33 AM

He is not a "celeb".

:agree:

Hibs once had an issue with the Scottish Cup. Hadn't won it in over a century, apparently... it was often referred to as a hoodoo.

Well, there used to be a real issue with Wimbledon too. The most famous tennis tournament in the world, yet no British male winner since Fred Perry. The scale of Andy Murray's achievements are immense... 2 grand slams, Olympic Gold, Davis Cup... incredible. Who cares if he comes across as a bit grumpy sometimes?!!

Oh, and he's one of our own!

:thumbsup:

The Baldmans Comb
24-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Always had the utmost respect for Andy Murray and delighted that his family are all part of the extended Hibs Family.

He must have been so chuffed for his grandad as it had to be one of the happiest days of that old mans life.

All Hibs fans will know exactly how he felt except the self loathing ones.

Robinho08
24-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Behave. She's hardly a racist either. 😂

DarrenSQH
24-05-2016, 11:29 AM
2 sets all. Hope he can win the 5th.

macca70
24-05-2016, 11:30 AM
2-2, has gone to a deciding set, Live on Eurosport

Hope there's no court invasion and taunting of Stepanic fans at the end!!

DarrenSQH
24-05-2016, 11:31 AM
2-2, has gone to a deciding set, Live on Sky Sports

Slightly easier to climb the net though.

hibees 7062
24-05-2016, 11:32 AM
you work for the daily record?:wink:

Wish I could work

JimBHibees
24-05-2016, 11:33 AM
2-2, has gone to a deciding set, Live on Sky Sports

On Eurosport not sky. Itv 4 also I think.

cabbageandribs1875
24-05-2016, 11:35 AM
i believe Dougray Scott was also in attendance at Hampden....just thought i'd say likes :greengrin

he was also in fear the walking dead last week on the tellybox :)

tamig
24-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Were you pished when you wrote this? Away and lie down.

Stevie Reid
24-05-2016, 12:22 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/08/andy-murray-not-miserable-just-normal

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal Charlie Brooker (http://www.theguardian.com/profile/charliebrooker)

Sunday 8 July 2012 14.56 BST

Congratulations to Andy Murray (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/andymurray), who either did or didn't win Wimbledon this afternoon. Since I'm writing this almost immediately before the match itself kicks off, I've got no way of knowing what the outcome was. Is. Will be. Whatever.

I think I can safely predict one thing, though: whatever happens, win or lose, in the post-game interview, he won't do a double thumbs-up, gurn joyously down the lens, waggle his tongue around like Gazza, then moonwalk off, waving, grinning, and making comedy trombone noises. That's not the Andy Murray we know and sort of love.

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to **** money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that despite being very much in the public eye, Murray refuses to play along with the patronising emotionalism demanded by the media, where sporting stars are expected to put on showy displays of "passion" that look good in a highlights package at the end of the show. If you're not a natural cartwheels-of-victory type, it must be a pain in the arse to know everyone's expectantly gauging your reaction. You know how when you're opening a birthday present in front of a crowd, all your brain can do is scream: "FOR GOD'S SAKE LOOK DELIGHTED!" at you? Multiply that by ten million. I'd say Murray's ability to ignore this pressure is almost more impressive than his racquet skills.

Moments after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/06/andy-murray-wimbledon-final-jo-wilfried-tsonga?newsfeed=true), Murray was interviewed by the BBC's Garry Richardson, who found himself repeatedly trying to squeeze some kind of rousing sentiment from a man intent on describing the game in technical terms, like a straight-faced IT consultant explaining how he fixed a problem with the server.

After trying and failing to get him to describe the match as a rollercoaster of emotions, Richardson brought up Murray's mum and dad, who'd been sitting in the audience. "What can it possibly have been like, Andy, for your parents watching there?" he asked, presumably hoping to prompt a moment of choked-up pride. Murray handed him a cold stone in return.

"I've no idea," he replied, deadpan. "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." And there was a glimmer of a dark smirk at the end, the kind that doesn't register in a world in which all emotions must be expressible as emoticons and interior happiness is required to be rendered visible from a range of 200 metres.

That's precisely the kind of sporting hero we need. One who's allergic to bull**** and treats the whole thing like a job that rather than a tear-jerked spiritual calling. He seems to want to ignore the media. Trouble is, he's so bloody good at tennis, the media can't ignore him. But like a bluebottle repeatedly bashing its face against a windowpane, it continually tries and fails to turn him into yet another easily digested celebrity. "Celebrity" is increasingly the only role the media can process, yet it's a role in which Murray looks about as comfortable as a dog on rollerblades.

In the run-up to the Wimbledon (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/wimbledon) final (which, at the risk of repeating myself, hasn't happened at the time of writing), press and broadcasters alike routinely described Murray as some kind of symbolic vessel containing all British hope. All our dreams, all our aspirations – all on his shoulders, apparently. Poor ****er.

The strong implication was that if he won, it'd solve all our national neuroses at a stroke: like England won Euro 2012, like Barclays behaved, like Diana never died. We'd be commanded to stand outside collectively waving union flags as though trying to attract the attention of some huge intergalactic queen bee hovering somewhere above the atmosphere. But if, on the other hand, he lost we'd either tut and say it's typical – because we're allowed to be grouchy, but the people we pointlessly entrust with our sense of national self-worth aren't – or, more likely, be expected to sit soggy-eyed watching a slow-motion montage of his disappointed face, cut to something mournful-but-unthreatening with a hint of Coldplay about it. Because if he won't supply the emotion, goddamit, we'll make the soundtrack do it on his behalf.

macca70
24-05-2016, 12:25 PM
This match is fantastic!!!

5-5 in 5th set

iwasthere1972
24-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Andy Murray comes back from 2-1 to beat Stepanek (wearing blue and white) to win the match 3-2. Great scenes in Paris with Andy Murray jumping over the net, sticking the nut on Stepanek then digging up some of the clay court as a souvenir while singing Sunshine on Leith as he leaves the court.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

(((Fergus)))
24-05-2016, 12:40 PM

I don't care how underprivileged you are, you could seriously do with cheering up yourself! :wink:

(((Fergus)))
24-05-2016, 12:41 PM
andy murray comes back from 2-1 to beat stepanek (wearing blue and white) to win the match 3-2. Great scenes in paris with andy murray jumping over the net, sticking the nut on stepanek then digging up some of the clay court as a souvenir while singing sunshine on leith as he leaves the court.

lol

southsider
24-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Andy Murray comes back from 2-1 to beat Stepanek (wearing blue and white) to win the match 3-2. Great scenes in Paris with Andy Murray jumping over the net, sticking the nut on Stepanek then digging up some of the clay court as a souvenir while singing Sunshine on Leith as he leaves the court.

AM does in fact win 3-2. Now where have a heard that score ?

GreenLake
24-05-2016, 12:49 PM

He is not a "celeb".

That is being generous.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-05-2016, 12:54 PM

:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

Iggy Pope
24-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I have issues with Welsh!:greengrin seriously though, he could not find time to mix wi' normal Hibbies on our train to Maribor. seemed to prefer to stay with his close group in the first class carriage. each tae there ain though

He spent plenty of quality time with Hibbies on The Bounce-organised bus to and from the Dubliner in Gothenburg to Boras for the Elfsborg game.....

Marco G
24-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Always had the utmost respect for Andy Murray and delighted that his family are all part of the extended Hibs Family.

He must have been so chuffed for his grandad as it had to be one of the happiest days of that old mans life.

All Hibs fans will know exactly how he felt except the self loathing ones.Exactly, Don't forget Jamie, top of the ATP rankings in doubles, and another good Hibby. Also Andy did more than just train with Hibs, he arranged for Alan Stubbs and our backroom staff to visit their Davis Cup training camp. If that helped in any way with improving fitness methods then that could have contributed to our cup win!

G B Young
24-05-2016, 01:37 PM

The fact he's playing in the French Open might have something to do with that.

You're way off the mark about Andy. The Murrays are all Hibs fans and it's a great thing for our club to have such fantastic international ambassadors. They've always made time for helping the club out and were happy to have Stubbs join the Davis Cup team training last year to discuss sporting tactics etc, something he said was very useful.

For me, Andy and Jamie are among the most likeable, unaffected sportsmen you could hope to come across and their world-class achievements should be celebrated by all right thinking sports fans. If Scottish football's ruling bodies had half the clout of Judy Murray we might actually see our national team achieve something instead of limping along as also rans.

MB62
24-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Andy HIBSED It

0-2 down and WON 3-2 :thumbsup:

The Green Goblin
24-05-2016, 02:27 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/08/andy-murray-not-miserable-just-normal

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal

Charlie Brooker (http://www.theguardian.com/profile/charliebrooker)

Congratulations to Andy Murray (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/andymurray), who either did or didn't win Wimbledon this afternoon. Since I'm writing this almost immediately before the match itself kicks off, I've got no way of knowing what the outcome was. Is. Will be. Whatever.

I think I can safely predict one thing, though: whatever happens, win or lose, in the post-game interview, he won't do a double thumbs-up, gurn joyously down the lens, waggle his tongue around like Gazza, then moonwalk off, waving, grinning, and making comedy trombone noises. That's not the Andy Murray we know and sort of love.

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to **** money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks? Can't he just play tennis without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that despite being very much in the public eye, Murray refuses to play along with the patronising emotionalism demanded by the media, where sporting stars are expected to put on showy displays of "passion" that look good in a highlights package at the end of the show. If you're not a natural cartwheels-of-victory type, it must be a pain in the arse to know everyone's expectantly gauging your reaction. You know how when you're opening a birthday present in front of a crowd, all your brain can do is scream: "FOR GOD'S SAKE LOOK DELIGHTED!" at you? Multiply that by ten million. I'd say Murray's ability to ignore this pressure is almost more impressive than his racquet skills.

Moments after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/06/andy-murray-wimbledon-final-jo-wilfried-tsonga?newsfeed=true), Murray was interviewed by the BBC's Garry Richardson, who found himself repeatedly trying to squeeze some kind of rousing sentiment from a man intent on describing the game in technical terms, like a straight-faced IT consultant explaining how he fixed a problem with the server.

After trying and failing to get him to describe the match as a rollercoaster of emotions, Richardson brought up Murray's mum and dad, who'd been sitting in the audience. "What can it possibly have been like, Andy, for your parents watching there?" he asked, presumably hoping to prompt a moment of choked-up pride. Murray handed him a cold stone in return.

"I've no idea," he replied, deadpan. "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." And there was a glimmer of a dark smirk at the end, the kind that doesn't register in a world in which all emotions must be expressible as emoticons and interior happiness is required to be rendered visible from a range of 200 metres.

That's precisely the kind of sporting hero we need. One who's allergic to bull**** and treats the whole thing like a job that rather than a tear-jerked spiritual calling. He seems to want to ignore the media. Trouble is, he's so bloody good at tennis, the media can't ignore him. But like a bluebottle repeatedly bashing its face against a windowpane, it continually tries and fails to turn him into yet another easily digested celebrity. "Celebrity" is increasingly the only role the media can process, yet it's a role in which Murray looks about as comfortable as a dog on rollerblades.

In the run-up to the Wimbledon (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/wimbledon) final (which, at the risk of repeating myself, hasn't happened at the time of writing), press and broadcasters alike routinely described Murray as some kind of symbolic vessel containing all British hope. All our dreams, all our aspirations – all on his shoulders, apparently. Poor ****er.

The strong implication was that if he won, it'd solve all our national neuroses at a stroke: like England won Euro 2012, like Barclays behaved, like Diana never died. We'd be commanded to stand outside collectively waving union flags as though trying to attract the attention of some huge intergalactic queen bee hovering somewhere above the atmosphere. But if, on the other hand, he lost we'd either tut and say it's typical – because we're allowed to be grouchy, but the people we pointlessly entrust with our sense of national self-worth aren't – or, more likely, be expected to sit soggy-eyed watching a slow-motion montage of his disappointed face, cut to something mournful-but-unthreatening with a hint of Coldplay about it. Because if he won't supply the emotion, goddamit, we'll make the soundtrack do it on his behalf.

:faf::faf::faf: I love Charlie Brooker. Hadn't seen that before. Brilliant and right on the money as per. Cheers for posting.

Stevie Reid
24-05-2016, 02:29 PM
:faf::faf::faf: I love Charlie Brooker. Hadn't seen that before. Brilliant and right on the money as per. Cheers for posting.

:aok:

SpaceBob
24-05-2016, 03:09 PM

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal

Charlie Brooker (http://www.theguardian.com/profile/charliebrooker)

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Bostonhibby
24-05-2016, 05:53 PM

During the US Open. Obviously a yam.

OsloHibs
25-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Come on Andy!!!!

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Looks like Andy likes winning 3-2 as well. :greengrin

G B Young
25-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Looks like Andy likes winning 3-2 as well. :greengrin

It's clearly the score all Hibs fans want to enjoy this week. But enough of the tributes Andy, just get this won!

HibbyAndy
25-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Murray 2-1 down but Hibsed it and won 3-2:cb

worcesterhibby
25-05-2016, 03:52 PM
I see Halifax has disappeared now that he has sobered up. His fact-less rants about Murray really were up there with the biggest lot of single fish I have read on this forum for a long time. Pathetic and embarrassing.

"You can take the man out of Yorkshire...."

PapillonVert
25-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Murray 2-1 down but Hibsed it and won 3-2:cb

He's getting a bit carried away with these 3-2 wins.

We will settle for 3-0, Andy, honest!

:flag:

gorgie greens
25-05-2016, 07:16 PM
His grandfather said that Andy would be watching the Final and watches Hibs on line no matter where he is in the world

Bighoose
25-05-2016, 08:36 PM
He was also wearing a White Shirt and Green Shorts today :thumbsup:

hibby6270
25-05-2016, 09:16 PM
He was also wearing a White Shirt and Green Shorts today :thumbsup:

Noticed that as well. He normally wears all black/dark grey top and shorts.
He's been on court each day this week and always had green shorts on. That is unusual. Think it might be a way of him showing his true colours.

He's a Hibby but just won't admit it publicly because he'd take stick for it. In his defence he doesn't need distraction when playing at the top level in his sport. Nothing wrong with him being a fan and supporting us in private.

HibbyAndy
25-05-2016, 09:22 PM
His Ma was at the cup final

tamig
25-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Noticed that as well. He normally wears all black/dark grey top and shorts.
He's been on court each day this week and always had green shorts on. That is unusual. Think it might be a way of him showing his true colours.

He's a Hibby but just won't admit it publicly because he'd take stick for it. In his defence he doesn't need distraction when playing at the top level in his sport. Nothing wrong with him being a fan and supporting us in private.

He's never hidden the fact he's a Hibby and has admitted it many times.

J-C
25-05-2016, 09:40 PM
His Ma was at the cup final

Yeah with his granddad, I spotted them on the highlights.

hibee_girl
25-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Yeah with his granddad, I spotted them on the highlights.

Nice article here with his Grandad talking briefly about Saturday

http://m.heraldscotland.com/sport/14513694.Roy_Erskine__the_former_Hibs_player_and_g randfather_of_tennis_ace_Andy_Murray__discusses_hi s_own_waiting_game______/