PDA

View Full Version : As I Was Walking Along The Copland Road....

hfc rd
23-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Heard the busker at leith links along with the fans singing the above Sevco song but in a Hibs version yesterday. One of the first times I've ever heard it sung. Lyrics if I remember correctly were something along the lines of the following:

As I was walking down the Copeland Road
I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see
The famous Glasgow Rangers?
So I went along to Ibrox Park
Just to see the famous Glasgow Rangers
But the boys in blue
Got f****d 6-2 by the famous Edinburgh Hibees

Might have not been born but did we beat them 6-2 at Ibrox one time? I've never seen nor heard anyone recalling that result on here or elsewhere? If so, then well that was something I didn't know!

Was a good wee tune. Anyone got an audio link to it?

EH54
23-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Heard the busker at leith links along with the fans singing the above Sevco song but in a Hibs version yesterday. One of the first times I've ever heard it sung. Lyrics if I remember correctly were something along the lines of the following:

I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see
But the boys in blue

Might have not been born but did we beat them 6-2 at Ibrox one time? I've never seen nor heard anyone recalling that result on here or elsewhere? If so, then well that was something I didn't know!

I have asked the question before and no one i have spoke to can remember it and also never found anything to say we did however i think changing 6-2 to 3-2 would be fitting

monktonharp
23-05-2016, 08:43 PM
we used to sing it in the 70's. don't know if that result ever happened. The geography seems correct, Copeland Road but that was an auld club. The busker is a great guy, but he is a Celtic fan. does pop along to the holy ground now and again though.

Bostonhibby
23-05-2016, 08:44 PM
I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see

But they werenae there
just their zombie heir
as they hadnae paid their taxes.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2016, 08:46 PM

I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see
But the boys in blue

As an aside, is the same busker who was at Hampden, towards the East/ North at the semi and the Final

Callum7
23-05-2016, 08:47 PM
I have asked the question before and no one i have spoke to can remember it and also never found anything to say we did however i think changing 6-2 to 3-2 would be fitting

We've never beaten them 6-2 closet we've come is 5-2 in 1902/03

Jonnyboy
23-05-2016, 08:48 PM

But we have beaten them 8-1 (at ER so we'd need to overhaul the song a bit) :greengrin

Jonnyboy
23-05-2016, 08:49 PM
As an aside, is the same busker who was at Hampden, towards the East/ North at the semi and the Final

That guys a riot. Playes the same two or three chords for every song :greengrin

KWJ
23-05-2016, 08:49 PM
We used to sing this fairly often before I left, were definitely still singing it in the early 2000s and I'd have thought longer.

Great wee bouncy bit at the end :thumbsup:

Liberal Hibby
23-05-2016, 08:51 PM

I think we beat them 8-1 in a war time competition. I remember researching it in the 1980s when I first heard the song. Someone called Gordon Smith scored I believe. Can't remember the details any more (age and the weekend's alcohol intake are to blame). Think it was covered in one of the fanzines at the time.

EH54
23-05-2016, 08:52 PM
But we have beaten them 8-1 (at ER so we'd need to overhaul the song a bit) :greengrin

As I was walking down to Hampden Park
I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see
The famous Glasgow Zombies?
So I went along to Hampden Park
Just to see the famous Glasgow Zombies
But the boys in blue
Got f****d 3-2 by the famous Edinburgh Hibees

Billy Whizz
That guys a riot. Playes the same two or three chords for every song :greengrin

He had money off me 2 days on the trot🏆

nickwhibs

We were singing this on Saturday night. Changing it to 3-2 and hampden park instead of ibrox

Skåne Hibs
23-05-2016, 08:53 PM

I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see
But the boys in blue

I was actually talking about this song on the way back from Glasgow on Saturday and saying we need to change the lyrics to "Hampden Park" and "f***ed 3-2"

cabbageandribs1875
23-05-2016, 09:03 PM
I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see

just to see the famous glasgow rangers
But they werenae there
just their zombie hair
as they hadnae paid their taxes.

added the line you missed out, it now rhymes/fits :greengrin

Ryan91
23-05-2016, 09:47 PM
As I was walking down to Hampden Park
I met a total stranger
And he says to me
Are you off to see
The famous Glasgow Zombies?
So I went along to Hampden Park
Just to see the famous Glasgow Zombies
But the boys in blue
Got f****d 3-2 by the famous Edinburgh Hibees

I think we've got to adopt this as the official Hibs version now

Bostonhibby
23-05-2016, 09:58 PM
added the line you missed out, it now rhymes/fits :greengrin

Aye, you're right, the famous now defunct Glasgow rangers. I will step away from the glass.:greengrin