PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Seen on Twitter that he is coming over for the game tomorrow. I remember when he left, he did an interview for one of the papers and said he would love to be amongst that Hibs fans if we ever got to another final.

Class act.

Michael
20-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Always liked Pat.

Ryan91
20-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Always seemed like a nice guy, think many would have rather kept Pat than suffer through Butcher

SpaceBob
20-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Always seemed like a nice guy, think many would have rather kept Pat than suffer through Butcher

Always felt it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction from the fans, club & Pat for his leaving.

HibbySpurs
20-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Good on him.

Personal opinion is we would still be in the Premier if he hadn't been bulleted.

Ken
20-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I was speaking to someone last week that was telling me that PF was on his supporters bus for the final :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
20-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Good guy :aok:

Scotchmist
20-05-2016, 12:28 PM

:agree:

Northernhibee
20-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Absolute gent. Came across for David Pauls funeral as well, he's a real classy guy.

Dunbar Hibee
20-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Absolute gent. Came across for David Golds funeral as well, he's a real classy guy.

Eh? David Gold hasn't died?

SJM
20-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Absolute gent. Came across for David Golds funeral as well, he's a real classy guy.

The former hibs youngster???

Craig_HFC
20-05-2016, 12:58 PM

David Paul.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
Eh? David Gold hasn't died?

Think he means David Paul.

SJM

Phew.

Dunbar Hibee
20-05-2016, 12:59 PM

Ah, ok. :aok: But yeah, didn't know that, very good of PF.

seanoheimhin
20-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Always felt it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction from the fans, club & Pat for his leaving.

Agreed, could never understand why some fans had so much anger towards him.

I remember thinking when he left it was probably the right decision because we were stagnating between 5th-7th for a while. Oh little did we know what would be to come...

Anyway, never any doubting Pat's commitment or class as a person.

adhibs
20-05-2016, 02:02 PM
I was speaking to someone last week that was telling me that PF was on his supporters bus for the final :thumbsup:

Thays excellent hes geting right involved with the fans rather than going corporate

Northernhibee
20-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Apologies guys, unfortunate brain fade there.

easty
20-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Hardly. Knee jerk would have been right after the Hearts cup final (which is when he should have gone), or right after the Celtc cup final, or right after the embarrassment of Malmo.

Instead he went after a run of 5 games, with 1 win, scoring just 2 goals. His final game being a 1-0 defeat at home to quite literally the worst Hearts team I can remember in my time watching Hibs - which was the second time we'd lost to them without scoring a goal in the space of 2 months.

That's not knee jerk at all.

But, that's all in the past, hope he enjoys tomorrow, and is celebrating with the rest of us. :aok:

Jonny1875
20-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Hardly. Knee jerk would have been right after the Hearts cup final (which is when he should have gone), or right after the Celtc cup final, or right after the embarrassment of Malmo.

Instead he went after a run of 5 games, with 1 win, scoring just 2 goals. His final game being a 1-0 defeat at home to quite literally the worst Hearts team I can remember in my time watching Hibs - which was the second time we'd lost to them without scoring a goal in the space of 2 months.

That's not knee jerk at all.

But, that's all in the past, hope he enjoys tomorrow, and is celebrating with the rest of us. :aok:

Was just about to argue this, completley agree! Had to go, seemed a nice fella but wasn't up to the job. Simple. :agree:

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Fenlon had to go, at the end of the season. Punting him when we did is the reason we went down

B.H.F.C
20-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Fenlon had to go, at the end of the season. Punting him when we did is the reason we went down

Employing Butcher was the reason we went down, not emptying Pat.

Captain Trips
20-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Pat wasn't good enough at all IMO. However enjoy the game Pat you did try.

Andy74
20-05-2016, 02:26 PM

Hopefully in the next 5 years or so we can get back to a situation where a Hibs manager has to go when the team is sitting in 5th place and been to the last 2 Scottish cup finals!

JimBHibees
Great for him to make the effort to come for the game. Seemed a decent guy and hope he is smiling at the end of it.

Alex Trager

That is hugely sweet

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Hopefully in the next 5 years or so we can get back to a situation where a Hibs manager has to go when the team is sitting in 5th place and been to the last 2 Scottish cup finals!

What took you so long? ;-)

easty
20-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Failed to turn up in consecutive Scottish cup finals, and took a record pumping in Europe. I'm in nae rush to get back to that.

Captain Trips
20-05-2016, 02:47 PM
You need only play well for 4/5 games to reach a cup final. It could be your day to play well on cup days. Better managers better players havent got near cup finals and Pat Fenlon proved to me it doesnt take a great manager or even a great team to get to a final it takes 4/5 wins over the course of 3/4 months.

Unfortunatley for us it has been one game to many in the final or when getting knocked out that was just one of those days. I am very hopeful that tomorrow isnt a game we lose, think we are just due that wee win.

TheHarpy76
20-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Good on him.

Personal opinion is we would still be in the Premier if he hadn't been bulleted.

That is an absolute certainty :agree:

Edinburgher
20-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Nice gesture although I think personally Fenlon was too much of a nice guy to succeed.

Sammy7nil
20-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Agreed, could never understand why some fans had so much anger towards him.

I remember thinking when he left it was probably the right decision because we were stagnating between 5th-7th for a while. Oh little did we know what would be to come...

Anyway, never any doubting Pat's commitment or class as a person.

Eh! Two of t worst results in ou history 7-0 an 5-1 t is why.i lik Pa . Understand the fan anger.

weecounty hibby
20-05-2016, 03:42 PM
It's good to see, it didn't work for him unfortunately and no matter how hard he worked I think that he just wasn't good enough for us. Always good to see ex players and managers who have a soft spot for us even though they may not be lifelong Hibbies

Vault Boy
20-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Welcome back any time. Pat is someone who really cares about the club and its supporters.

HiBremian
20-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Nice gesture although I think personally Fenlon was too much of a nice guy to succeed.

Pity he was followed by two buffoons who were too nasty to succeed.

Edinburgher
20-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Pity he was followed by two buffoons who were too nasty to succeed.

Agreed - think it is a fine line between being too strict and not strict enough.

Mr White
20-05-2016, 03:54 PM

Hopefully but with any luck that manager won't sign rowan vine,fraser mullen, paul heffernan, ryan mcgivern, michael nelson or pa kujabi.

keep the faith
20-05-2016, 05:14 PM

😊 was actually timing how long you would take when PFs name was mentioned in a thread.

I'm genuinely not being cheeky but is Pat a mate of yours?

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2016, 05:20 PM
 was actually timing how long you would take when PFs name was mentioned in a thread.

I'm genuinely not being cheeky but is Pat a mate of yours?Nothing Andy ever says about Fenlon is wrong, we averaged a good position under him, refereeing decisions cost us top 6 is his only full season, 2 cup finals and we wouldn't have gone down had he been allowed to see out his contract.

keep the faith
20-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Nothing Andy ever says about Fenlon is wrong, we averaged a good position under him, refereeing decisions cost us top 6 is his only full season, 2 cup finals and we wouldn't have gone down had he been allowed to see out his contract.

I thought he was awful and his teams had me watching the stadium clock more than any hibs manager.
Seemed a decent guy though and the question about friendship was genuine and not about my own view on felons management.

Hiber-nation
20-05-2016, 05:39 PM
However good or bad a manager he was, it's the eve of the Cup Final and he's here to support Hibs so that can only be a good thing.

keep the faith
20-05-2016, 05:46 PM
However good or bad a manager he was, it's the eve of the Cup Final and he's here to support Hibs so that can only be a good thing.

Amen to that!!

SpaceBob
20-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Nothing Andy ever says about Fenlon is wrong, we averaged a good position under him, refereeing decisions cost us top 6 is his only full season, 2 cup finals and we wouldn't have gone down had he been allowed to see out his contract.

:aok:

Time For Heroes
20-05-2016, 05:53 PM

This. Regardless of your views, this guy came to manage us and has a real passion for us. I love that about our great club, he's not the first and won't be the last.

col02
20-05-2016, 05:57 PM

Ditto!

SpaceBob
20-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Hopefully but with any luck that manager won't sign rowan vine,fraser mullen, paul heffernan, ryan mcgivern, michael nelson or pa kujabi.

not disagreeing with your list of players they were honking but he did bring in Griffiths which just about supersedes all of them.

Mr White
20-05-2016, 05:59 PM
not disagreeing with your list of players they were honking but he did bring in Griffiths which just about supersedes all of them.

No he didn't. But I agree with the above posters there's no need to take him apart, he did his best and I'm glad if he's back to cheer us on.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-05-2016, 06:00 PM

*shudders*

SpaceBob
20-05-2016, 06:07 PM
No he didn't. But I agree with the above posters there's no need to take him apart, he did his best and I'm glad if he's back to cheer us on.

Forgot it was calderwood.

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Hopefully but with any luck that manager won't sign rowan vine,fraser mullen, paul heffernan, ryan mcgivern, michael nelson or pa kujabi.Hopefully he does sign players like Ben Williams, Jorge Claros, Scott Robertson, Leigh Griffiths, Eoin Doyle etc.

McGivern was very solid under Fenlon as well, no idea why he is listed.

Smartie
20-05-2016, 06:12 PM
We were relegated because we didn't score enough goals and personally I reckon we WOULD have been relegated under Pat. Jose Mourinho couldn't have got Rowan Vine and James Collins to score goals with only the injured Paul Cairney and Alex Harris who could play wide. We had lots of defensive midfielders though……

I have to say that I don't hold Pat in any way responsible either. I reckon he was probably a bit soft and a bit nice and that led to him being overpowered by Petrie. None of the players he signed stood out as first choice signings, the kind of signings any Hibs manager would actually want to make. They smacked of 5th and 6th choice signings bought with a shrug and a "he'll have to do" with no thought as to how these players might play together.

Fenlon, Butcher, Yogi, Mixu, Collins - none of these guys were the problem.

I bet Pat Fenlon would have given his right nut for the chance to work with Fyvie, McGeouch, Stokes, McGregor, Gray….. the list goes on. But he worked under Petrie and not Dempster so he never had the chance.

I'm delighted he's coming over for the final and hope he has a great day. He took over when we were clearly in the deep stuff and gave it his best shot, putting his own reputation on the line to try and improve our fortunes. Relatively speaking he did very well for a season and a half but he was just the wrong person at the wrong time in the end. Although I honestly don't think there is anyone out there who could have done much better.

Should I bump into him tomorrow, I'd shake him warmly by the hand and thank him for his efforts.

stantonhibby
20-05-2016, 06:13 PM

Not forgetting Tudur-Jones....did Fenlon sign him? He was murder.

The Green Goblin
20-05-2016, 06:13 PM

Surely Stubbs won't go from 2nd to 3rd to 5th next year???!

:greengrin. (I know what you meant. Just kidding)

Mr White
20-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Hopefully he does sign players like Ben Williams, Jorge Claros, Scott Robertson, Leigh Griffiths, Eoin Doyle etc.

McGivern was very solid under Fenlon as well, no idea why he is listed.

If he'd been solid against Hamilton...

He was decent on loan but went from decent to bad to worse after he was signed permanently.

No idea why you've listed Griffiths there btw.

Pete
20-05-2016, 06:16 PM
There's one person I don't really want to be thinking about right now and that's Pat Fenlon. Sorry boss, Calderwoods fault and all that but still :greengrin

hibbydog
20-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Nice to hear wee pats coming tomorrow. Gem of a bloke ad was big enough to realise he had to call it a day when the time came. Always conducted himself with real class. A true gent.

Bad Martini
20-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Nice guy.

Wrong job. There would never have been a good time.

Fair play to him though; he's coming to watch Hibs and for that, I say, good man.

:aok:

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2016, 09:05 PM
If he'd been solid against Hamilton...

He was decent on loan but went from decent to bad to worse after he was signed permanently.

No idea why you've listed Griffiths there btw.Fenlon resigned him and helped make him a fantastic player, Griffiths himself said as much.

Mr White
20-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Fenlon resigned him and helped make him a fantastic player, Griffiths himself said as much.

It's a shame he didn't weave that magic on any of the other players he brought to the club, or resigned for that matter. Griffiths was and is a supremely talented player. Even pat fenlon couldn't have failed to notice that. He replaced him with james collins right?

Not In The Know
20-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Fenlon however nice a gent he may be, presided over the two worst results in our history.

hibbytam
20-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Fenlon however nice a gent he may be, presided over the two worst results in our history.
I would count losing any game against a part time team far worse than the two you're talking about.
Or the Hamilton game.
Or the most recent Falkirk game.

SJM
21-05-2016, 11:10 AM
In the international bar the now

bigwheel
21-05-2016, 12:15 PM
In the international bar the now

Brilliant. Let's track him all day ...I can just imagine ...3am. Chatting up a growler in Fingers ! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

The Kaiser
21-05-2016, 01:16 PM
We wouldn't have got relegated if pat had stayed but we probably would still be a bottom six team.