PDA

View Full Version : Referee Steven McLean

theonlywayisup
19-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Good news or bad news for us! Views?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/13869/10286098/steven-mclean-says-scottish-cup-final-is-pinnacle-of-referees-career

hibee1875
19-05-2016, 09:12 PM
I like him. Can't think of anything he's got wrong. Can't remember anything he's done. Can't remember any of the games he's reffed. To me this is the sign of a good ref. Does the job without being noticed.

Willie Collum take note!

JimBHibees
19-05-2016, 09:13 PM
I like him. Can't think of anything he's got wrong. Can't remember anything he's done. Can't remember any of the games he's reffed. To me this is the sign of a good ref. Does the job without being noticed.

Willie Collum take note!

Joke handball at Ibrox earlier in the season. Scored from free kick.

MWHIBBIES
19-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Awful ref although I would have said that regardless, they are all awful.

HibsNutter
19-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Supposedly a Rangers fan but have no reason not to trust his professionalism on the day. Thought it was Alan Muir who got the major handball call wrong in the Celtic v ICT semi last year?

JimBHibees
19-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Supposedly a Rangers fan but have no reason not to trust his professionalism on the day. Thought it was Alan Muir who got the major handball call wrong in the Celtic v ICT semi last year?

One of the better refs however he missed Inverness handball also.

Frank Moon
19-05-2016, 09:19 PM
The Mcgeough one at Ibrox was a shocking decision.

theonlywayisup
19-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I see that his brother, born in Rutherglen who used to play for Motherwell, played for Scotland u-17 team before choosing to play for Northen Ireland!!! What does that tell us?

TAHibby
19-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Was it McLean who didn't even glance at his assistant who put their flag up for offside a couple of years ago? Some are better than others but ultimately all capable of shockers

JC94
19-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I see that his brother, born in Rutherglen who used to play for Motherwell, played for Scotland u-17 team before choosing to play for Northen Ireland!!! What does that tell us?

Played for Rangers aswell. Surely shouldn't be allowed to ref this game.

Danderhall Hibs
19-05-2016, 09:28 PM

That he wasn't good enough for Scotland?

CallumHibs07
19-05-2016, 09:33 PM

Muir was the official behind the goal. Cheating prick.

patlowe
20-05-2016, 06:43 AM

McLean is a Kilmarnock fan.

scoopyboy
20-05-2016, 07:02 AM
You simply won't win any game of football worrying about a referee.

You just have to get on with it.

Marco G
20-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Supposedly a Rangers fan but have no reason not to trust his professionalism on the day. Thought it was Alan Muir who got the major handball call wrong in the Celtic v ICT semi last year?It was the ibrox game where McGeoch got the ball battered against his arm from a yard away and McLean gave a free kick from which they scored. Apart from that he has been OK in our matches as far as I remember.

vanNISHtelroy
20-05-2016, 07:19 AM
McLean is a Kilmarnock fan.

His dad (?) played for Killie I think and he is supposedly a Killie fan! He goes out of his way to prove it doesn't effect his judgement with his decisions. Things need to be about 75/25 in our favour before he considers giving us a decision!

ieastherein1973
20-05-2016, 08:10 AM
I know his dad and think they are all Killie fans.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
20-05-2016, 08:14 AM

He has a relative that allows him to play for Norn Iron :confused:, bit like McPake.

J-C
20-05-2016, 08:17 AM
A few weeks ago a couple of ex refs were talking about their careers and mentioned they had to tell the SFA if they had any allegiances to a club so as it wouldn't compromise them or the club, so can't see him being a Rangers man, of all the games I've seen him ref he's probably the best out of a poor bunch, as Scoops said just get on with it.

easty
He has a relative that allows him to play for Norn Iron :confused:, bit like McPake.

I think we all know it's more likely he's got a massive chest tattoo with God Save The Queen above Ally McCoists big cheesin face.

Probably.

allezsauzee
I though I had inadvertently stumbled upon a Celtic site given some of the paranoid comments. McLean is definitely one of the best referees and deserves to be getting the final.

JimBHibees
20-05-2016, 08:22 AM
I though I had inadvertently stumbled upon a Celtic site given some of the paranoid comments. McLean is definitely one of the best referees and deserves to be getting the final.

I agree McLean is one of the better refs however nothing to do with paranoia a week and a half after we were on the wrong end of one of the worst decisions ever seen which had a huge impact on the club and will have cost the club potentially millions of pounds.

SpaceBob
20-05-2016, 08:23 AM

That he wasn't good enough to play for Scotland :wink:

allezsauzee
20-05-2016, 08:26 AM
I agree McLean is one of the better refs however nothing to do with paranoia a week and a half after we were on the wrong end of one of the worst decisions ever seen which had a huge impact on the club and will have cost the club potentially millions of pounds.

There is nothing we can do about that now. We need to trust this guy to do his job properly and hopefully our players will do the same. The players and fans need to go into this game believing rather than dwelling on previous injustices or performances. GGTTH

JimBHibees
20-05-2016, 08:27 AM
There is nothing we can do about that now. We need to trust this guy to do his job properly and hopefully our players will do the same. The players and fans need to go into this game believing rather than dwelling on previous injustices or performances. GGTTH

Agree totally.

snooky
20-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Sorry but I have no faith in anybody who is employed by the SFA as far as impartiality is concerned. Seen the opposite too many times.

Should we win tomorrow, there is more chance of it being despite the referee than because of him.

Michael
20-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Sorry but I have no faith in anybody who is employed by the SFA as far as impartiality is concerned. Seen the opposite too many times.

Should we win tomorrow, there is more chance of it being despite the referee than because of him.

Well, we don't want to win because of him either!

oneone73
20-05-2016, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't mind.

JimBHibees
20-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Would make a change thats for sure.

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2016, 10:46 AM

I'd take it. Would make a pleasant change.

Danderhall Hibs
20-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Speak for yourself my man.

A win's a win - everyone soon forgets about any "injustice".

steakbake
20-05-2016, 12:13 PM

I'd take it - seen plenty games where 'their' man has done the business for them.

eastcoasthibby
20-05-2016, 05:12 PM
I hope McLean has it in him to deal with the whinging, begging and moaning of theclijes of Miller, halliday, waghorn, Wallace ...oh and the nugget that is Davie Weir on the sidelines !! That means making the right decisions and not being influenced by them , if he lets them nip his head from early on he will give them decisions watch this space and let's see how he deals with them !!
Strong honest refereeing tomorrow is vital for us .....

Onion
20-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Not looking for MacLean to do us any favours tomorrow, just not to kill us with ridiculous decisions that hand the Huns the Cup on a platter.

But if things do even themselves up over time, MacLean has got HUGE scope from our last 10 SC Finals to chuck us some breaks tomorrow. Lord knows we deserve it.

Hutchie
20-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Steven is a nice guy and genuinely calls it as he sees it. Killie fan although was allowed to red hibs v kille as one of his first spl games and gave us a soft pen.
I won't say anything that would question his loyalties. However, he lived in leith (ft of easter road) and had many a pint in the presey. Also he's been to easter road :p flat mate was a hibby.

monktonharp
20-05-2016, 08:17 PM
I look forward to the v88th minute tomorrow when the Hibernian supportersw break into spontaneous song......He's one of our own, Steven Mc Lean