PDA

View Full Version : This Thing Called Hibs....

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 04:07 PM
I went down to ER today, to pick up tickets for a friend, and even driving down to the stadium, I had that familiar feeling like I get when going to a game. Then I met another good Hibby and fellow branch member outside and we had a great blether about what the game would be like, those who are no sadly longer with us and another member of the extended Hibernian family, who is desperately ill, but who we hope will make it along on Saturday. I'm not embarrassed to say I was nearly greetin' when we spoke of those who have passed but who we feel will be there in spirit and it got me thinking....

This Club is so much more than the 90 minutes on the pitch - it's in our soul and THAT'S what other folk just don't get, IMHO. Win or lose on Saturday, I'll still be proud to be associated with this great Institution and on Saturday, surrounded by fellow devotees, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. There are many, many fans who can't make it - or are sadly no longer with us - so let's be grateful we're fit and able to go (again, for the second time this season!) and maybe, just maybe, we'll be the victors. And as the late, great Lawrie Reilly so eloquently said, "I was born a Hibby and I'll die a Hibby" :not worth

KWJ
19-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Lovely post bud, enjoy the game.

I hope the party is still in full swing when I get home late July.

Roxyhibee
19-05-2016, 04:16 PM
I went down to ER today, to pick up tickets for a friend, and even driving down to the stadium, I had that familiar feeling like I get when going to a game. Then I met another good Hibby and fellow branch member outside and we had a great blether about what the game would be like, those who are no sadly longer with us and another member of the extended Hibernian family, who is desperately ill, but who we hope will make it along on Saturday. I'm not embarrassed to say I was nearly greetin' when we spoke of those who have passed but who we feel will be there in spirit and it got me thinking....

This Club is so much more than the 90 minutes on the pitch - it's in our soul and THAT'S what other folk just don't get, IMHO. Win or lose on Saturday, I'll still be proud to be associated with this great Institution and on Saturday, surrounded by fellow devotees, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. There are many, many fans who can't make it - or are sadly no longer with us - so let's be grateful we're fit and able to go (again, for the second time this season!) and maybe, just maybe, we'll be the victors. And as the late, great Lawrie Reilly so eloquently said, "I was born a Hibby and I'll die a Hibby" :not worth

Great post Franksuzy.

I'll be thinking about other great Hibbys but mainly my dad all day on Saturday no longer with us who stood on our terraces for all those decades with me. It was a huge part of his soul and will always be a huge part of mine..

JAY-ESS GREEN
19-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Great post Franksuzy.

I'll be thinking about other great Hibbys but mainly my dad all day on Saturday no longer with us who stood on our terraces for all those decades with me. It was a huge part of his soul and will always be a huge part of mine..

Mr too mate with all those extra souls there willing us on how can we lose? one way or another will be an emotional day

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Lovely post bud, enjoy the game.

I hope the party is still in full swing when I get home late July.

I'm sure it will be :pray: :thumbsup: :drunk:

Great post Franksuzy.

That's very moving and I'm sure you'll not be the only one with thoughts of those no longer with us :aok: My own dad was a Jambo (the 'ER one week and Tynie the next' type) but laterally, I think he'd been at more Hibs games than Hertz, with me. Maybe that's why he referred to me as "a cuckoo, put in the wrong nest" and "a boy named Sue" :greengrin GGTTH

Bostonhibby
19-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Great post Susan. I've been as low key as I can all week. Ducking all the good wishes and saying I am travelling in hope rather than expectation this time.

This one's got me! About to hit the A1 north again, where's that bloody hibs CD.
Let's win this goddam cup.

Topographic Hibby
19-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I was thinking about this today.

Why do we do this? Why do we put ourselves through the heartache and stress? Simple, for those that mean so much to us, that took us to games, that made us the supporters we are today. We go in memory of them.

My grandfather and father were there in 58. My old man was there for 6-1 in 72 when I was too wee. My father took me in 79. I took his ticket in 01 when his health started to fail. I was there in 12 and 13 when both were long gone.

We go for them. For all that can't make it. It's our duty.

Emotional stuff.

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Great post Susan. I've been as low key as I can all week. Ducking all the good wishes and saying I am travelling in hope rather than expectation this time.

This one's got me! About to hit the A1 north again, where's that bloody hibs CD.
Let's win this goddam cup.

Safe trip K! I wasn't 'feeling' it until today but then, bam, I am caught up in it all over again. GGTTH.

Bostonhibby
19-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Safe trip K! I wasn't 'feeling' it until today but then, bam, I am caught up in it all over again. GGTTH.
Got the 1972 league cup final scarf on the parcel shelf, what could possibly go wrong? Coach load of huns at the services probably!

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Mr too mate with all those extra souls there willing us on how can we lose? one way or another will be an emotional day

:agree: I was sorry to hear about your dad. He picked up the auctioned boots and signed top from my mum's, IIRC. RIP.

I was thinking about this today.

Why do we do this? Why do we put ourselves through the heartache and stress? Simple, for those that mean so much to us, that took us to games, that made us the supporters we are today. We go in memory of them.

My grandfather and father were there in 58. My old man was there for 6-1 in 72 when I was too wee. My father took me in 79. I took his ticket in 01 when his health started to fail. I was there in 12 and 13 when both were long gone.

We go for them. For all that can't make it. It's our duty.

Emotional stuff.

:top marks

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Got the 1972 league cup final scarf on the parcel shelf, what could possibly go wrong? Coach load of huns at the services probably!

Put some soap by it and it'll keep them away :tee hee:

hibby6270
19-05-2016, 08:03 PM

Agree entirely with you on this, apart from one minor detail, this is our 3rd visit this season. :wink::wink:

KSA Hibee
19-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Bugger. .. Why oh why did I have to have a wee quick peek on here. Have deliberatly not thought about saturday all week and what it really means to us all.

But... Sitting here in Dammam aiport in Saudi flying home for the wekend I thought I would risk it... As others have said it will be a time to remember those who have made us the Hibees we are and I will once again

Edson Arantes
19-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Touching post.

Close to tears after that.

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Agree entirely with you on this, apart from one minor detail, this is our 3rd visit this season. :wink::wink:

Correct, but I really meant finals :wink: Regardless though, it's some achievement :thumbsup:

hibby6270
19-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Correct, but I really meant finals :wink: Regardless though, it's some achievement :thumbsup:

Yeah. Knew what you meant really. Just joshing. :greengrin:greengrin

Forza Fred
19-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Nice post.

Guess I'm now one of the "ailing warriors" who for health reasons decided probably better I didn't make the trip back this time.

WILLbe watching live at midnight though in the middle of Sydneyand taking delight in the crowd shots of the Hibs faithful who are at the game.

Give the a cheer for me.

jockodile
19-05-2016, 10:36 PM
And we will give a cheer for you Forza, and all those fellow brethren watching from the 4 corners of the globe.

Cmon the Hibs

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Nice post.

Guess I'm now one of the "ailing warriors" who for health reasons decided probably better I didn't make the trip back this time.

WILLbe watching live at midnight though in the middle of Sydneyand taking delight in the crowd shots of the Hibs faithful who are at the game.

Give the a cheer for me.

Loving the pics of the Oz Hibs guys arriving home, Fred :thumbsup: Thankfully my brother isn't one of them as he's a jinx :tee hee: but seriously, what else but Hibs could unite thousands of people, all over the globe AND at an unearthly hour sometimes! :not worth

Oh, and I hope you're OK :aok: It was a right laugh when you were back before with Willie :greengrin GGTTH.