PDA

View Full Version : Hughie Burns RIP

MB62
19-05-2016, 11:03 AM
On Tuesday 17th May 2016, after a fairly long illness, my big brother Hughie passed away in St. Columba's hospice.
Hughie was/is a season ticket holder and along with my brother Billy, was directly responsible for my madness and devotion to Hibernian Football Club when they took me to my first game at the age of Four.
Hughie went to Holy Cross School and played alongside Jimmy O'Rourke and Pat Stanton in those days.
Last Thursday, he received his long awaited Hibs shares that he recently purchased and when he was presented with the framed shares by his two sons Stevie, Tony and daughter Sarah, he had the biggest smile he could muster, given his condition, and it meant the world to him.
He is going to be hugely missed by more than just the family and we will all be at Hampden on Saturday hoping the Hibees can lift the cup for H.I.B. (as most of us knew him by)

God Bless you Big Brother

SeanWilson
19-05-2016, 11:05 AM
On Tuesday 17th May 2016, after a fairly long illness, my big brother Hughie passed away in St. Columba's hospice.
Hughie was/is a season ticket holder and along with my brother Billy, was directly responsible for my madness and devotion to Hibernian Football Club when they took me to my first game at the age of Four.
Hughie went to Holy Cross School and played alongside Jimmy O'Rourke and Pat Stanton in those days.
Last Thursday, he received his long awaited Hibs shares that he recently purchased and when he was presented with the framed shares by his two sons Stevie, Tony and daughter Sarah, he had the biggest smile he could muster, given his condition, and it meant the world to him.
He is going to be hugely missed by more than just the family and we will all be at Hampden on Saturday hoping the Hibees can lift the cup for H.I.B. (as most of us knew him by)

I'm sorry for your loss buddy. I hope to god we do it for him this Sunday. RIP. :flag:

MSK
19-05-2016, 11:14 AM

God Bless you Big BrotherSorry to hear about your loss Mike, hopefully we can do the business on Sat for yer bro 👍

NAE NOOKIE
19-05-2016, 11:17 AM
My condolences mate ..... so sad to see another good Hibby passing on, may he rest in peace . Saturday will be an emotional day for you and your family I would imagine ... I wish you all the very best.

19-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Very sorry for you loss. Lets hope the boys lift the cup for him on saturday, i'm sure he'll be looking down cheering them on!

All my thoughts and sympathies to you and your family.

Lancs Harp
19-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Condolences to you and your family at this sad time for you.

He will look down on Hampden on Saturday and I'm sure will be smiling from above.

Carheenlea
19-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Always sad to hear of good Hibs people passing on, but particularly so close to a Cup Final. A win on Saturday will be for every Hibs fan, not just for those who are here to see it.

cabbageandribs1875
19-05-2016, 11:29 AM
so sad, condolences to you and your family, and friends

erin go bragh
19-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear that . Rip . Hopefully all the angels high above will watch us win this cup on Sat .

aljo7-0
19-05-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

hibeerealist
19-05-2016, 11:50 AM

Sad news Mike hopefully HFC can make a contribution to in some way ease your family's loss by finally winning this thing, my own brother died soon after THAT final!

NthCarolinaHibs
19-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Very sorry for your loss...RIP

Forza Fred
19-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Sorry for your loss.

No doubt he'll team up with Maude McFarlane and Wattiie Robb and a victory in the cup would be a fitting tribute to the three of them, and every other Hibby we have lost in the not too distant past.

HibbySpurs
19-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Sorry for your loss, condolences to you & your family.

FranckSuzy
19-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Always sad to hear of good Hibs people passing on, but particularly so close to a Cup Final. A win on Saturday will be for every Hibs fan, not just for those who are here to see it.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Regards to you and your family, MB62 and RIP Hughie.

offshorehibby
19-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Sad news, my condolences to you and your family.

Jones28
19-05-2016, 12:28 PM

Sorry for your loss, let's do it this onSaturday, for Hughie and the thousands of other fallen Hibbies who didn't see us lift the cup. RIP

scuttle
19-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Condolences to you and your family mate

Topographic Hibby
19-05-2016, 12:41 PM
My late father was a Hughie as well. Sorry to hear of your loss.

SJM
19-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss fella. Rip hibee.

Kato
19-05-2016, 01:01 PM

Condolences, MB. Is this Hughie who worked in the NLS?

Ilovehibs
19-05-2016, 01:19 PM
What an incredibly moving story MB. So sorry for you and your family. Rest in peace H.I.B.
Your bro will be with you all in spirit at Hampden. With the Angels he'll be singing.
God bless and sincere condolences.

H18S NX
19-05-2016, 01:45 PM
I am sure i used to kick a ball about with Hughie and Billy down in Granton,condolances to mb and family.

madsen5
19-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Condolences, I was going to ask the same thing.

northstandhibby
19-05-2016, 03:34 PM
God bless and best wishes mate. All the best. Always very sad to hear of good people passing on,

Callum7
19-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Sorry for your loss R.I.P.

Callum7
19-05-2016, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry for your loss buddy. I hope to god we do it for him this Sunday. RIP. :flag:

Would like to tell you the games on Saturday not Sunday.

MB62
19-05-2016, 05:48 PM

It is indeed Kato, the very same man.

I know there are many on here who knew Hughie so for their benefit, here are his funeral arrangements.

Tuesday 31st May

10.00am Holy Cross Chapel

11.00am (or as close to that after mass) Warriston Crematorium

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think might be interested.

Huge and genuine thanks to all the posters for your kind comments

GGTTH

Bishop Hibee
19-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Lots of good Hibees at Holy Cross around that time including my own dad whose no longer with us. Their memory marches on. RIP Hughie.

Hibrandenburg
19-05-2016, 06:08 PM
My condolences for your loss buddy. It's always sad to hear of a fellow Hibby passing. RIP Hughie.

Stantons Angel
19-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Sorry for your loss.

No doubt he'll team up with Maude McFarlane and Wattiie Robb and a victory in the cup would be a fitting tribute to the three of them, and every other Hibby we have lost in the not too distant past.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I do hope they can bring back the cup for him and the other well kent faces mentioned above.

Aldo
19-05-2016, 06:25 PM
On Tuesday 17th May 2016, after a fairly long illness, my big brother Hughie passed away in St. Columba's hospice. Hughie was/is a season ticket holder and along with my brother Billy, was directly responsible for my madness and devotion to Hibernian Football Club when they took me to my first game at the age of Four. Hughie went to Holy Cross School and played alongside Jimmy O'Rourke and Pat Stanton in those days. Last Thursday, he received his long awaited Hibs shares that he recently purchased and when he was presented with the framed shares by his two sons Stevie, Tony and daughter Sarah, he had the biggest smile he could muster, given his condition, and it meant the world to him. He is going to be hugely missed by more than just the family and we will all be at Hampden on Saturday hoping the Hibees can lift the cup for H.I.B. (as most of us knew him by) God Bless you Big Brother Thoughts with you and your family at this difficult time. I'm sure he'll be looking down and signing with the angels up above!!! GG RIP

Jonnyboy
19-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Mike

My heartfelt condolences to you and the family mate. Hughie was a man with a huge personality and oozed Hibs. RIP big fella

madsen5
19-05-2016, 06:49 PM

I know there are many on here who knew Hughie so for their benefit, here are his funeral arrangements.

Tuesday 31st May

GGTTH

Truly sorry I used to work beside him great guy and
Big Hibby hope he's happy looking down on
Saturday. R.I.P.

highland hibbee
19-05-2016, 08:34 PM

All the best to you and your family at this sad time Mike. Regards Andy. GGTTH

Iggy Pope
19-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Sad news MB. We've all been there and you'll have plenty around you.
PS. Was yours the mental MB bus late 70s? Only putting two and two together now...

gegs70
19-05-2016, 11:49 PM

Sorry to hear that, I know Sarah well. RIP, hope we can bing the cup home!

Leith Mo
20-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Sincere condolences on his passing. My Dad, Hughie passed away also 17th May 1997. For your brother, my Dad and all the other Hibees Family members not there in body but certainly there in spirit and in our thoughts each year: We Shall Prevail and this year we shall bring it back to Leith. RIP

MB62
20-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Sad news MB. We've all been there and you'll have plenty around you.
PS. Was yours the mental MB bus late 70s? Only putting two and two together now...

Your 2+2 does indeed add up to 4 :wink: :greengrin :thumbsup:

Kato
20-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Tuesday 31st May

GGTTH

Oh dear, thought so as I knew he wasn't too well. Deepest regards to you and your family, MB.

I worked beside Hughie for many years and we had a right old giggle. A gentleman and a fine Hibby. RIP.

mim
20-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Condolences to you, your family and all of Hughie's friends at this difficult time.

Let's do this tomorrow for all the Hibbies that didn't live to see the day.

S.sct
20-05-2016, 12:21 PM

Lovely words MB. Deepest condolences to you and the family. Hughie will be fondly remembered by his NLS pals and I along with many many others will be thinking of the big man tomorrow. Let's hope we all have a day to remember and raise a wee glass to HIB...

MB62
20-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Lovely words MB. Deepest condolences to you and the family. Hughie will be fondly remembered by his NLS pals and I along with many many others will be thinking of the big man tomorrow. Let's hope we all have a day to remember and raise a wee glass to HIB...

Let's hope so.
As far as anybody can enjoy work, I don't think it was the worst job in the world and he certainly enjoyed the odd session or 07 in the pub with the lads from the NLS :thumbsup:

Just to bump the thread back up, in case anybody is interested, here are the details of the funeral

Tuesday 31st May 2016

S.sct
20-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Let's hope so.
As far as anybody can enjoy work, I don't think it was the worst job in the world and he certainly enjoyed the odd session or 07 in the pub with the lads from the NLS :thumbsup:

Just to bump the thread back up, in case anybody is interested, here are the details of the funeral

Tuesday 31st May 2016

Will do

Iggy Pope
20-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Your 2+2 does indeed add up to 4 :wink: :greengrin :thumbsup:

I was a Hawkhill boy myself but remember your bus well. My school pal Paul Quinan (Lloyd's wee bro) used to venture on it and he was daft as a brush. Put the 'mental *******s' into MB :greengrin

MB62
23-05-2016, 10:02 AM
With apologies to all for bumping this post up but,

THAT ONE WAS FOR YOU BIG BROTHER :cup:

And for Gordon Roberts, and for my mate's mum (who proudly and emotionally wore her tartan Hibs scarf to the game) and to all the other Hibernian Angels high above.

[/[B]HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
GGTTHB]

Kato
23-05-2016, 10:35 AM
With apologies to all for bumping this post up but,

THAT ONE WAS FOR YOU BIG BROTHER :cup:

And for Gordon Roberts, and for my mate's mum (who proudly and emotionally wore her tartan Hibs scarf to the game) and to all the other Hibernian Angels high above.

[/[B]HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
GGTTHB]

I shouted out Hughie's name in the ground on Saturday, bud.

Along with a few other names of those who aren't around to see this brilliant occasion. I hope he heard me.

MB62
23-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I shouted out Hughie's name in the ground on Saturday, bud.

Along with a few other names of those who aren't around to see this brilliant occasion. I hope he heard me.

I'm sure he did, as there was plenty of us there doing the same. A very emotional Burns family on Saturday :thumbsup: