PDA

View Full Version : NHC Upcoming Scotland Friendlies - TV

Sylar
19-05-2016, 08:30 AM
What an absolute farce that BBC Scotland aren't providing coverage of the 2 upcoming friendlies we have against Italy and France. Instead, they're on Premier Sports - no doubt a subscription based channel?

Northern Ireland games being shown on BBC 2 NI, England's upcoming friendlies being shown on ITV - poor, poor, poor.

Moulin Yarns
19-05-2016, 08:42 AM
What an absolute farce that BBC Scotland aren't providing coverage of the 2 upcoming friendlies we have against Italy and France. Instead, they're on Premier Sports - no doubt a subscription based channel?

Northern Ireland games being shown on BBC 2 NI, England's upcoming friendlies being shown on ITV - poor, poor, poor.

Don't blame the BBC, blame the SFA for not getting a deal to show them on free to view channels.

EH75
19-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Is it not the case that broadcasting rights are sold by the host nation and therefore there's not much the SFA can do about it? So in that case the BBC/Sky whoever can be blamed to some extent as if they can't outbid "premier sports" then they can't have been offering much money.

G B Young
19-05-2016, 09:49 AM
With the Scottish Cup final just two days away, is it really that big a deal whether a couple of meaningless Scotland friendlies are on TV? There are generally few events in football more dull than a Scotland friendly. Personally I'm quite happy to be spared them.

bod
19-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Is it not the case that broadcasting rights are sold by the host nation and therefore there's not much the SFA can do about it? So in that case the BBC/Sky whoever can be blamed to some extent as if they can't outbid "premier sports" then they can't have been offering much money.:agree:

bod
19-05-2016, 09:57 AM
With the Scottish Cup final just two days away, is it really that big a deal whether a couple of meaningless Scotland friendlies are on TV? There are generally few events in football more dull than a Scotland friendly. Personally I'm quite happy to be spared them.
:yawn:

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-05-2016, 10:08 AM

You're quite happy to be spared a LC Final if theres a meaningless rugby international being played though.

Diclonius
19-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't be watching them in any case, as someone who has grown up with the Scotland national team being a synonym for "glorious failure" I'm not that interested.

Cabbage East
19-05-2016, 10:13 AM
You're quite happy to be spared a LC Final if theres a meaningless rugby international being played though.

Oooft :faf:

G B Young
19-05-2016, 10:26 AM

I think that's harsh. I make no bones about attending Six Nations games and my personal reasons for doing so (and that particular one turned out to be a considerably happier event than being at Hampden). There are actually very few Scotland rugby friendlies and I don't watch them either, but overall there's at least a hope that the Scotland rugby side will achieve something. They were desperately unlucky not to reach the World Cup final last year, something we will never be able to say about the Scotland football team. I used to attend Scotland football matches home and away when the great frustration was that we were never able to progress beyond the group stages of major tournaments. For the last 20 years we can't even get near qualifying for the tournaments and it's come to a sorry pass if friendlies are all we have to get excited by. Personally I wouldn't even consider watching these games, but that's just my take on it.

JimBHibees
19-05-2016, 10:34 AM
I think that's harsh. I make no bones about attending Six Nations games and my personal reasons for doing so (and that particular one turned out to be a considerably happier event than being at Hampden). There are actually very few Scotland rugby friendlies and I don't watch them either, but overall there's at least a hope that the Scotland rugby side will achieve something. They were desperately unlucky not to reach the World Cup final last year, something we will never be able to say about the Scotland football team. I used to attend Scotland football matches home and away when the great frustration was that we were never able to progress beyond the group stages of major tournaments. For the last 20 years we can't even get near qualifying for the tournaments and it's come to a sorry pass if friendlies are all we have to get excited by. Personally I wouldn't even consider watching these games, but that's just my take on it.

Semi final they would have played Argentina if they hadnt been done over by Joubert. There are obviously a much smaller pool of countries that play rugby to football so there is no comparison.

itslegaltender
19-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Semi final they would have played Argentina if they hadnt been done over by Joubert. There are obviously a much smaller pool of countries that play rugby to football so there is no comparison.

Plus its a semi final in what in reality is a minority sport. Big deal.

nellio
19-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Wales friendly away to Sweden before the Euros is on Premier as well. Was looking forward to seeing that as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I think that's harsh. I make no bones about attending Six Nations games and my personal reasons for doing so (and that particular one turned out to be a considerably happier event than being at Hampden). There are actually very few Scotland rugby friendlies and I don't watch them either, but overall there's at least a hope that the Scotland rugby side will achieve something.

Hibs were in with the chance of achieving something that day @ Hampden up until practically the last kick of the ball. I'm glad you enjoyed your day out though.

G B Young
19-05-2016, 11:24 AM

What I meant was that had they beaten Australia they'd have been in with a real shout v Argentina and hence a spot in the final but I didn't bother going into detail as I'm aware rugby chat will bore most on here ;-)

I don't wholly agree with your second point though. The pool of countries may be smaller, but Scotland are still capable of punching above their weight on occasion. The Scotland football team have long seemed incapable of that.

G B Young
19-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Plus its a semi final in what in reality is a minority sport. Big deal.

It was still a way bigger deal around the world than this Saturday's Scottish Cup final will be.

Minority sport or not, though, what's the problem with being passionate about sports other than football?

KeithTheHibby
19-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Is it not the case that broadcasting rights are sold by the host nation and therefore there's not much the SFA can do about it? So in that case the BBC/Sky whoever can be blamed to some extent as if they can't outbid "premier sports" then they can't have been offering much money.

Premier Sports must have outbid BBC and Sky for the recent away game against the Czech Republic too then...perhaps they do have a contract for meaningless away friendlies!

Bristolhibby
19-05-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm heading off to Metz for the France friendly.

Good weekend in the sun and get to visit a part of France I never normally go to.

What's not to like about that?

My expectations are firmly low for Scotland, hence its difficult to disappoint me.
Hibs on the other hand, continuously let me down because my hopes/expectations are higher.

J

Brummie_Hibs
19-05-2016, 01:16 PM

Good weekend in the sun and get to visit a part of France I never normally go to.

See you there too!

G B Young
19-05-2016, 01:25 PM

What's not to like about that?

My expectations are firmly low for Scotland, hence its difficult to disappoint me.
Hibs on the other hand, continuously let me down because my hopes/expectations are higher.

J

Strip out the bit where you have to sit through a Scotland game and it sounds like a very pleasant wee holiday :wink:

SJM
19-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Strip out the bit where you have to sit through a Scotland game and it sounds like a very pleasant wee holiday :wink:

Watching the future European Champs and super John will be decent.

Sylar
19-05-2016, 01:57 PM

Which sort of begs the question why you bothered clicking on, let alone commenting on the topic?

Bishop Hibee
19-05-2016, 03:07 PM
We got the English Woman's FA Cup Final on BBC1 though 😕. Usual Anglo-centric broadcasters.

ShinyFantastic
19-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Thank god. Rubbing salt into the wounds "we can't qualify for the European Championship while everyone else on the island can, but it's alright we can play friendlies against France and Italy, one of them in France, it's almost like we're there!" That's what the SFA are telling us.