PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody who is.....

Mango Man
18-05-2016, 01:50 PM
....not going to watch the game through choice?

I am seriously thinking of taking the dog out for a long walk and leaving the phone in the house, hopefully come back to a Hibs victory, nerves are shot to pieces watching Hibs in these games, this may all change on the day though :wink:

tanfield
18-05-2016, 01:53 PM
That's what I did for the 2012 final.

Mango Man
18-05-2016, 01:53 PM

I wish I did the same, mate.

18-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Was speaking to a taxi driver yesterday who said he's on shift while the game is on and he is turning his phone and radio off. Doesn't want to now. He will turn his phone on at 4:45 and check the score but says its too nerve-wracking sitting listening to it on the radio.

JimBHibees
18-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Would be more nerve racking not knowing what is going on surely. :confused: :greengrin

hfcnic
18-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I am a season ticket holder and go to almost every home game, cup game etc. However I rarely go to finals or semi finals all different reasons for this to be honest but sometimes just find it hard to watch these games.

Just to point out the last final I went to we won! Must have been the CIS cup back in 06/07 hope that is a good sign as I am going Saturday

Hibby Gav
18-05-2016, 02:06 PM
It's a hard watch.....I vowed after the Ross County final...and again after the play off loss that I might do as suggested.......try and do something else until 5 O'clock as it's so hard to watch......

I'm in G5 :)

ggtth

pontius pilate
18-05-2016, 02:11 PM
I thought I was going to have to miss the game did to promotion at work and joining the management Rota but I am off this weekend including the bank holiday Monday. I'm not going through choice as I've never seen us win at hampden every time we have won I've not been in attendance hopeful that continues this weekend

18-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Would be more nerve racking not knowing what is going on surely. :confused: :greengrin

Ignorance is bliss :greengrin Listening to the game on the radio is hellish tbf.

Mango Man
18-05-2016, 02:15 PM

I wouldn't think so, we will see.

HibbySpurs
18-05-2016, 02:19 PM
I wish I could do as the OP is.... I hate going to cup finals and sit there feeling sick to my stomach (who am I kidding I ALREADY feel sick to my stomach)for the whole thing.... I cant bear it...

Sitting in F1 on Saturday.... Hands over face for the most part....

Rasta_Hibs
18-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Hmm I kind of the same, im trying not to think about the cup final at all. I don't want to build myself into a high only to fall from a great height, again.

I'm unsure if I will watch it. A dream scenario would be to sleep in and turn on the TV and were 2-1 up with 5 mins to go!

Mango Man
18-05-2016, 02:33 PM
I've got a feeling I will come back to the house around 5 and It will be at extra time, then I get to watch us get beat in extra time or penalties 😔

It would be such an odd feeling to come back and see we had won!!

SJM
18-05-2016, 02:40 PM
I would regret it for the rest of my days if we won the cup and I wasn't there. I would also resent everyone I know who was. Imagine turning on the TV to find out we won the Scottish, imagine how you would feel. Unless it was something majorly important I would always need to be there.

CallumLaidlaw
18-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Hmm I kind of the same, im trying not to think about the cup final at all. I don't want to build myself into a high only to fall from a great height, again.

I'm unsure if I will watch it. A dream scenario would be to sleep in and turn on the TV and were 2-1 up with 5 mins to go!

I've thought about the match a lot, and will continue to do so, but Hibs over the last 2 months in particular, culminating in last Friday, seem to have made me dead inside. I'm not nervous or excited for the match. I've convinced myself that there's no point as we're gonna lose anyway. Hopefully that will make it all the sweeter if we did manage it. Right now I am looking forward to the day itself with friends and family, and then the match will take care of itself.

Billychaotic182
18-05-2016, 02:48 PM
My mates stag doo next week and I cant afford the game and travel to it, so instead we are having a cup final BBQ. Gutted i cant go but if i blew off my mates stag doo and we get beat id feel terrible, and if we win i'll be gutted im not their but either way we would have won the cup and the delight will overcome any feelings.

HibbySpurs
18-05-2016, 02:52 PM
I would regret it for the rest of my days if we won the cup and I wasn't there. I would also resent everyone I know who was. Imagine turning on the TV to find out we won the Scottish, imagine how you would feel. Unless it was something majorly important I would always need to be there.

This.

iwasthere1972
18-05-2016, 02:57 PM

Me too. I would hate it if after being to numerous finals and obviously tasted defeat that I wasn't there when we finally did it. Please please please do it.

18-05-2016, 02:58 PM
As much as these things shoot my nerves to hell, I couldn't miss it for the world. If we get beat it'll hurt but i'll get over it, if we win however it will be one of the best days of my life and to be there standing with the old boy watching us lift it would be a memory i'd cherish for the rest of my days, it would be very very special indeed.

JimBHibees
18-05-2016, 03:00 PM
As much as these things shoot my nerves to hell, I couldn't miss it for the world. If we get beat it'll hurt but i'll get over it, if we win however it will be one of the best days of my life and to be there standing with the old boy watching us lift it would be a memory i'd cherish for the rest of my days, it would be very very special indeed.

This 100%. :flag:

The Green Goblin
18-05-2016, 03:07 PM
I've thought about the match a lot, and will continue to do so, but Hibs over the last 2 months in particular, culminating in last Friday, seem to have made me dead inside. I'm not nervous or excited for the match. I've convinced myself that there's no point as we're gonna lose anyway. Hopefully that will make it all the sweeter if we did manage it. Right now I am looking forward to the day itself with friends and family, and then the match will take care of itself.

That's where I'm at too.

Hibs07p
18-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm definitely going, with the feeling I had in the Geebsie game, it has to end sometime.
If it doesn't, I've developed baws of steel, so another kick won't do any harm. And I'll be travelling by train, #weargreen, and fancy having a drink in Rutherglen. Getting home will take care of itself.

GGTTH

SlickShoes
18-05-2016, 03:11 PM

I feel like this too but also agree with SJM. I can't miss cup finals, 2007 CIS Cup was an amazing experience and just to have the chance to better that is something that I'll always go along for and hope happens.

I missed the 2001 final against Celtc and was terrified we would win and I would have missed it, been at every one since and the pain will all be worth it one day. It may not even be this year but whenever it is you'll have to kill me to stop me from going.

Glesgahibby
18-05-2016, 03:15 PM
There has been so many let downs over the years.
Totally get the way you feel but if we do win,the only way to properly enjoy the experience is to live it from 3pm onwards.

northstandhibby
18-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Can't wait for Saturday.

If the traffic is not too bad getting to Hampden and I arrive early enough, I'm going to the Main Stand entrance and cheer the boys in of the team bus.

GGTTH

CallumLaidlaw
18-05-2016, 03:20 PM
I feel like this too but also agree with SJM. I can't miss cup finals, 2007 CIS Cup was an amazing experience and just to have the chance to better that is something that I'll always go along for and hope happens.

I missed the 2001 final against Celtc and was terrified we would win and I would have missed it, been at every one since and the pain will all be worth it one day. It may not even be this year but whenever it is you'll have to kill me to stop me from going.

Oh don't get me wrong. Theres no way i would ever not go, for the same reason.

Pete
18-05-2016, 03:21 PM
You can't just go for a game of bowls then come back and hope the result has gone our way. That's just unthinkable and something you might do with an irrelevant match that you had a bet on or something.

Nonsense. I bet you anyone who thinks they are doing this is at a TV with a beer somewhere before half time.

G B Young
18-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Was speaking to a taxi driver yesterday who said he's on shift while the game is on and he is turning his phone and radio off. Doesn't want to now. He will turn his phone on at 4:45 and check the score but says its too nerve-wracking sitting listening to it on the radio.

I wouldn't fancy trying to avoid the score that way. There's got to be a fair chance one of his fares will be keeping tabs on the game and mention it to him.

The only effective way of doing this sort of thing is to do as the OP suggests and take yourself off somewhere remote and switch your phone off. Either that or bunker down in the house, alone if possible, shut yourself off from the world and watch a movie. I used to do something similar for some key games and even went so far as not making any attempt to find out the score until the next day if I knew I wasn't going out that night. I'd actually rather not know the score than find out we've lost and have my evening spoiled. On the flip side you receive a great boost if it turns out we won.

HibbyScott
18-05-2016, 03:42 PM

This is exactly where I am. Got my ticket, but no excitement at all so far. I hope it arrives soon - but so far the prospect of the drive back up the road on Friday night after a full day of work is just filling me with a sort of "urgh" feeling!

Canon Hannan
18-05-2016, 04:20 PM

I am seriously thinking of taking the dog out for a long walk and leaving the phone in the house, hopefully come back to a Hibs victory, nerves are shot to pieces watching Hibs in these games, this may all change on the day though :wink:

I drove to Glencoe for the 2012 game and returned to the score. I had a bad feeling.

This match - I am there. I have a good feeling.

RoYO!
18-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Any chance in this dream of yours to give us more of a cushion than that?! ;)

Glesgahibby
18-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I drove to Glencoe for the 2012 game and returned to the score. I had a bad feeling.

Spread the the word brother😀
GLORY GLORY !!!!!!!!!

Mango Man
18-05-2016, 04:35 PM
You can't just go for a game of bowls then come back and hope the result has gone our way. That's just unthinkable and something you might do with an irrelevant match that you had a bet on or something.

Nonsense. I bet you anyone who thinks they are doing this is at a TV with a beer somewhere before half time.

People handle it differently, at this point I am 95% sure I will not be watching it, already said to the wife we should go for a walk and she is already looking forward to it.

Will still be heading to Easter Rd after if we win though and join in the celebrations there, it would be amazing to avoid the nerves of the game and come back to find we had won it!! Would obviously be better to actually be there to witness it, but I can take that.

The more I think about, I think the wife is actually a jinx for me, started going out in 2008, the amount of horrible results she has seen with me, has been the worst in my lifetime supporting Hibs.

Mango Man
18-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Any chance in this dream of yours to give us more of a cushion than that?! ;)

Haha

Keith_M
18-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Due to a combination of spending a fortune coming over for the last final, and then watching Hibs lose it in the last minute, I'm not going to be there this time.

That means I need to decide exactly how I'm going to fill my time this Saturday. There might be a boozer showing the game but I'm not sure I've got steady enough nerves to sit through it.

Anybody got any spare Prozac? :greengrin

seanshow
18-05-2016, 04:53 PM
This seems like a very strange question to me, if you are a season ticket holder or a regular supporter of a team and the same person who could get a ticket would choose not to go?

Even if I was an Alloa supporter and we playing Real Madrid in a euro final with a 1/1000 chance of winning.....i would still be at the game.

Surely the whole ethos of sport is aimed at being at the finale!

Alex Trager
18-05-2016, 05:24 PM
I could not listen to it on the radio firstly.
Secondly I could not miss it.

I am pumped. Pumped for the what if.
If we get beat, then it's business as usual. It sure as hell won't be as bad as the Hearts game.

If we win...

It has been on mind since around 1 O'Clock on Saturday afternoon.

And barely has it shifted. Now and then it fades and I forget then I remember and suddenly I feel sick again. I have been willing the week by up until this point. I am now happy for the week to slow down, knowing fine well it's only going to speed up.

All I can say is it's cup final week man.

This may not be common in years to come. Let's savour it.

And if it happens.
I'll see you all on Leith walk at some point or another on Saturday/Sunday.

If any Hibs player is reading this. Gon just do the business boys. It is your chance to write your name into history books.
I kid you not it will go worldwide if we read this. Imagine your name being read out in New Zealand as the man who ended Hibs 114 year wait.

This is your time. This is your chance. Be legends.

johnbc70
18-05-2016, 06:04 PM
My Dad said he would never return to Hampden after 2012, and true to his word never has.

Tobias Funke
18-05-2016, 06:18 PM
I avoided the 2012 final. I turned my tv off, Internet off, phone off and didn't turn it back on till around 15 minutes from the end.

My Hearts supporting colleague and I had an agreement, whoever supported the losing team that day had to bring cakes into the office the following week. So when the first text I got after turning my phone back on was "I'll have a fudge doughnut please!", I knew it had not gone well!

Then I checked the score!!:faint:

I don't have a ticket for Saturday and I am not sure I'll watch, through sheer frustration at recent results. I just hope we pull it off. The thought of those cretins winning the cup doesn't bear thinking about. I absolutely despise The Rangers with every fibre of my body.

Onion
18-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Being at Hampden to see Hibs lift the Scottish Cup would be the pinnacle for most Hibs fans and a moment to savour with others (most of whom you don't know) who have been through the ringer over the years supporting this club. TV won't come close to being there.

Onion
18-05-2016, 06:36 PM
I avoided the 2012 final. I turned my tv off, Internet off, phone off and didn't turn it back on till around 15 minutes from the end.

My Hearts supporting colleague and I had an agreement, whoever supported the losing team that day had to bring cakes into the office the following week. So when the first text I got after turning my phone back on was "I'll have a fudge doughnut please!", I knew it had not gone well!

Then I checked the score!!:faint:

I don't have a ticket for Saturday and I am not sure I'll watch, through sheer frustration at recent results. I just hope we pull it off. The thought of those cretins winning the cup doesn't bear thinking about. I absolutely despise The Rangers with every fibre of my body.

Apparently they think they've won it a few times before, so it's no biggie to them. For us, beating the Huns at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final - does it get any better than that ? Would not miss it for the world.

LancashireHibby
18-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Win on Saturday and 2012 will only be remembered for the Olympics. No way I could miss it, just in case.

Lago
18-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Decided some years ago to stop going to cup finals, got fed up with the hassel, travelling & the scores. So it was TV for me, but this time I don't even have any enthusiasm for this game, Frid outcome has scunnered me in a way that hasn't happened before, but maybe by Sat all will be ok if not I'll give the whole thing a miss & take a little walk along the Fife coastal path & come home to joy.

weonlywon6-2
18-05-2016, 07:06 PM

Can't watch, not unless someone tells me we are five up with a minute to go

Probably be out in the garden or walking the dogs

Colr
18-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Sounds like a good plan. I'll get updates to my phone from 365 app but I'm not going to watch as I don't have much hope. and I've watched too mmany defeats.

Green Man
18-05-2016, 07:45 PM
The Dundee Utd semi was the first game at Hampden I'd missed in years. I'm hoping that by staying away from the final it brings a similar result.

rcarter1
18-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Freakin nightmare! I typically turn things on just as the worm turns. Wandered off at 2-2 on Saturday, came back just to watch it auto update to 3-2 in from of my eyes. When Scotland were beating the Aussies at the rugby, managed to turn it on just as the guy was preparing the winning kick. Countless, innumerable occasions where I just walk back into a favourable situation only to hear/see or otherwise witness some kind of horrific capitulation.

Gives me the jeebies. Im going to chain myself to the couch for the duration..

Hibernia&Alba
18-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Absolutely. I've got to be there no matter what. We're well used to messing these games up, so another yin would be nothing new. Also, nothing that happens on Saturday will be as bad as the 2012 final. We might just do it this time!

Torto7062
18-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Won't miss any final..just in case...the gods smile on us this time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ehf
18-05-2016, 10:29 PM

4.45 is a bit early; still a few minutes left for us to "switch off".

Man Down Under
19-05-2016, 06:06 AM
If Hibs win I feel like you'd want to say you saw it live. We're used to heartbreak at Hampden so I'm fairly thick skinned when it comes to these sorts of games.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

buktapurple79
19-05-2016, 06:12 AM

Same - plus if it goes wrong it's another battle stripe painfully earned!

Pedantic_Hibee
19-05-2016, 06:18 AM
Said all along I wasn't going to Hampden as I've never seen us win there in several visits.

I'm going.

lyonhibs
19-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Said all along I wasn't going to Hampden as I've never seen us win there in several visits.

I'm going.

I've got more resolve than you, you part-time Hibs avoider :greengrin

My win rate at Hampden of 14% persuaded me that the money involved in coming over again wasn't worth it.

SON OF PADDY
19-05-2016, 06:39 AM
When the Hibs, go up to lift the Scottish Cup I'll be there !!
Edinburgh is going to witness the mother of all Parties🍻🍻🎊🎇🏆🏆🏆🏆🍻🍻🍻 ggtth

Hibs07p
19-05-2016, 07:53 AM
When the Hibs, go up to lift the Scottish Cup I'll be there !!
Edinburgh is going to witness the mother of all Parties ggtth

I'm with you.

GGTTH

Lancs Harp
19-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Avoiding the game sounds like that episode of the Likely Lads (showing my age now) when they were trying to avoid the score in an England match as they were watching it later .... bit of a classic that one.

If the lads manage to pull this one off then I couldn't imagine being anywhere else than Hampden celebrating with clan Hibs.

Should we lose, well its almost business as normal, we have been there before many times, too many times. But even in defeat Hampden is still the only place I would want to be, with my fellow Hibbies the only people who would understand what I was feeling.

We're going to win this!

GGTHH

WeeRussell
19-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Tingle down the spine for the umpteenth time this week :aok:

Hibernian Verse
19-05-2016, 02:18 PM
I've got more resolve than you, you part-time Hibs avoider :greengrin

My win rate at Hampden of 14% persuaded me that the money involved in coming over again wasn't worth it.
I hope you've taken Monday off incase you have to catch a last minute flight to Edinburgh!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
19-05-2016, 02:30 PM
My mates stag doo next week and I cant afford the game and travel to it, so instead we are having a cup final BBQ. Gutted i cant go but if i blew off my mates stag doo and we get beat id feel terrible, and if we win i'll be gutted im not their but either way we would have won the cup and the delight will overcome any feelings.

Was at my mates Stag Do in Newquay in 2013, flew up on the Saturday afternoon for the final on the Sunday.

I'm at a wedding this weekend. I'm going to try and ignore it as I get so get up at finals.
Was in tears before KO in 2012.

The wedding is a great excuse to ignore it.

Who I'm I kidding, I'll be on Sky go on my phone all through the service!

J

SpaceBob
19-05-2016, 02:53 PM
My will for Hibs to win has put out the flames of pessimism which I often feel towards this great club.

ballengeich
19-05-2016, 06:30 PM
After reading this thread I'm considering spending Saturday afternoon at Hampden with my back to the pitch.

mmmmhibby
19-05-2016, 06:49 PM
I cant bear it sometimes at these finals, nerves shot to bits as soon as game starts.....so al be frowning the whole match.

lyonhibs
19-05-2016, 06:53 PM
After reading this thread I'm considering spending Saturday afternoon at Hampden with my back to the pitch.

I'm fairly sure that's how a lot of folk watch Hibs, judging by the comments on here after a defeat 😝

Haymaker
19-05-2016, 06:56 PM
In the local boozer now, train up tomorrow. Buzz starts now!

ballengeich
19-05-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm fairly sure that's how a lot of folk watch Hibs, judging by the comments on here after a defeat 

I've sometimes wondered what organ they use to identify a scapegoat.

Peevemor
19-05-2016, 08:05 PM
I have band rehearsals all weekend. I'm going to try and slope off for a couple of hours on Saturday to watch the match as checking my phone every 5 minutes will drive myself and everyone else daft. I'm not capable of resisting knowing the latest score when it's available at the touch of a button/screen.

mca
19-05-2016, 09:53 PM

Glencoe 2012 - We Did That As Well !!!

Went up to Glen Etive... No Telly, No Phones, Not Even a Radio Signal...

Had a Bad Feeling and i was Right..

Was Going to do Something Similar.. But After Reading the Thread - Now Decided To Watch this Final.. :flag:

gorgie greens
20-05-2016, 06:20 AM
first final ive missed since i was 6 , have had a few chances of tickets but declined them all , if we win it will be the biggest regret of my life ,but also the best (hope my sons or mrs not reading this) and even now i have this urge to drop everything and head up the road, to me the Scottish cup is the holy grail as neither my grandad or father seen us lift it ,
im heading to Cheltenam with a couple of boys to watch the game in a Hibs pub but i feel like im a jinx at the Scottish Cup finals hence why im not going,
But i will be kicking every ball and going through the rollercoaster of being a Hibby

northstandhibby
20-05-2016, 06:30 AM
My will for Hibs to win has put out the flames of pessimism which I often feel towards this great club.

Excellently put! Pessimism is a disease if left to linger. I used to go to matches many years ago with a friend at the time who was a constant pessimist. No matter if the hibs won 4-0 he'd still find something to mump and moan about.

Constant drag on my glass half full attitude. Still brings a smile to my face and a shake of the head thinking of his constant pessimism.

GGTTH

--------
20-05-2016, 07:19 AM

Well, I sadly no longer have my dog, but I'm very much inclined to do the same.

I find the stress of watching these games much too much these days. If it's fine, I think I'll head out to the Country Park for a long walk; if it's wet I'll go up to Cineworld and watch a movie.

Leave the SkyBox on 'record'.

And revise my future options depending on the score ...

SpaceBob
20-05-2016, 07:25 AM
Excellently put! Pessimism is a disease if left to linger. I used to go to matches many years ago with a friend at the time who was a constant pessimist. No matter if the hibs won 4-0 he'd still find something to mump and moan about.

Constant drag on my glass half full attitude. Still brings a smile to my face and a shake of the head thinking of his constant pessimism.

GGTTH

Whoa, that’s how I used to behave at games about 15 year ago. I started supporting Hibs in the early 80s which wasn't a great time & I believe that is where a lot of the pessimism came from. But over the years I have seen us have great results and at times play some of the best football in Scotland and although we’re currently languish in the championship this will hopefully bring a silver lining in years to come. We aren’t like the Old firm, hearts or Aberdeen we are Hibs that’s why I reckon we stand a good chance of winning.

northstandhibby
20-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Whoa, that’s how I used to behave at games about 15 year ago. I started supporting Hibs in the early 80s which wasn't a great time & I believe that is where a lot of the pessimism came from. But over the years I have seen us have great results and at times play some of the best football in Scotland and although we’re currently languish in the championship this will hopefully bring a silver lining in years to come. We aren’t like the Old firm, hearts or Aberdeen we are Hibs that’s why I reckon we stand a good chance of winning.

Fair do's mate. My son will be about ages with you, he was born in 74 and he remembers the 80s as the start of his memories following the Hibs. The very late 70s and 80s were the beginning of a severe decline in Hibs fortunes although when the great results happened boy were they not fantastic. Watched the match back again of the 91-2 semi final that a poster put up on here the other day ago and it was just brilliant. Take the good with the bad. Hope tomorrow makes up for all the worst games you've watched mate.

GGTTH

Kavinho
20-05-2016, 08:03 AM

Some how, knew you'd be quick onto this one mate!