PDA

View Full Version : Neil Alexander

h18eeynick
18-05-2016, 12:01 PM
On BBC Sport website that released by Hearts despite being regular first pick - apparently not good enough for Europe ! I would take him as very experienced

Billy Whizz
18-05-2016, 12:08 PM
On BBC Sport website that released by Hearts despite being regular first pick - apparently not good enough for Europe ! I would take him as very experienced

Something fishy about this release, was being offered a new contract 2 weeks ago

Big_Franck
18-05-2016, 12:08 PM

He's been very average for them pretty much any time I've seen them this season. He was good for them last year but at his age I'd say he's probably finished. I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to let Hanlon's shot past him at the PBS :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-05-2016, 12:09 PM

Not good enough for Europe?[emoji23] They've surely no said that haha. They will have one tie against some mob from Latvia or something

GreenCastle
18-05-2016, 12:09 PM
The young back up Hamilton is decent and supposedly Matt Gilks has been mentioned.

Alexander seemed a decent pro - think we should either develop our own GKs or get someone else (haven't a clue whose available)

Diclonius
18-05-2016, 12:16 PM
I'd take him. Would prefer Cammy Bell though.

JC94
18-05-2016, 12:17 PM
The young back up Hamilton is decent and supposedly Matt Gilks has been mentioned.

Alexander seemed a decent pro - think we should either develop our own GKs or get someone else (haven't a clue whose available)

Cammy Bell:greengrin I would take Jamie McDonald to be honest

Ozyhibby
18-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Develop our own goalies? Hibs? [emoji23]
He's a decent goalie and a lot better than we have.

JFK-1
18-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Would prefer Cammy Bell though.

Take him, please. I will pay for his taxi. But all mirth aside his contract is expiring and he will be released to get him off the wage bill if nothing else. He's a competent keeper but Rangers are now being linked to other keepers predominately Daniel Bartley of Southend United so Bell will fall even further down the line if he were to stay.

JC94
18-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Take him, please. I will pay for his taxi. But all mirth aside his contract is expiring and he will be released to get him off the wage bill if nothing else. He's a competent keeper but Rangers are now being linked to other keepers predominately Daniel Bartley of Southend United so Bell will fall even further down the line if he were to stay.

Is he not third choice at the moment. I cant see us signing him due to his wages.

SJM
18-05-2016, 12:23 PM
He would be a very good asset at this level totally.

JFK-1
18-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Is he not third choice at the moment. I cant see us signing him due to his wages.

I doubt he is going to be in any position to make excessive demands if he wants to have a job at all when Rangers release him. There are around five with contracts expiring and he is one of them. If they were going to be made an offer it would have been made by now.

JC94
18-05-2016, 12:29 PM
I doubt he is going to be in any position to make excessive demands if he wants to have a job at all when Rangers release him. There are around five with contracts expiring and he is one of them. If they were going to be made an offer it would have been made by now.

He has a year left on his contract

Smartie
18-05-2016, 12:30 PM

Bell was an excellent keeper at Kilmarnock but that mistake in last year's play-offs was worse than anything I've ever seen from a Hibs goalie.

I think there would always be that fear that he might come out with something like that again, which I suppose is harsh because I've seen Leighton and Goram make mistakes in a Hibs jersey and they weren't too shabby.

One mistake and we'd destroy him.

JFK-1
18-05-2016, 12:34 PM
He has a year left on his contract

That's not what I heard on a Rangers forum. You may be right I have never researched it but they were making a list of who was going out of contract and trying to tally up how much that would take off the wage bill and Bell's name was on their list. If you're right and he still did have a year left he's going to be 4th choice if they bring in Bartley who will be the new number 1.

I would say he has to get out if he wants to remain a player at any substantial level. Who is going to take him after 2 years of playing with the boys if at all?

Dublin07
18-05-2016, 12:35 PM
He's been very average for them pretty much any time I've seen them this season. He was good for them last year but at his age I'd say he's probably finished. I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to let Hanlon's shot past him at the PBS :greengrin

He is not Finnish mate he is Scottish. I think you are thinking of a previous yam goalie.

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2016, 12:37 PM
No idea why anyone would want Bell, if he cant get a game in front of Fotheringham he really must be bad.

JFK-1
18-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Bell was an excellent keeper at Kilmarnock but that mistake in last year's play-offs was worse than anything I've ever seen from a Hibs goalie.

I think there would always be that fear that he might come out with something like that again, which I suppose is harsh because I've seen Leighton and Goram make mistakes in a Hibs jersey and they weren't too shabby.

He's still only 29 which is young for a keeper and yes that mistake against Motherwel cost him dearly but every keeper has thrown a similar clanger. They're just not all such high profile clangers or at least high profile in Scotland.

Edson Arantes
18-05-2016, 12:39 PM
It's not saying much but, Alexander is better than what we have.

I'd take him for a year.

Stevie Reid
18-05-2016, 12:43 PM
I'd take Alexander here.

SJM
18-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Oxley made loads of mistakes before getting grilled. Logan never got destroyed after his massive howler against Falkirk too.

Bell or Alexander, like everyone else would get a chance to show what they could do in the number one jersey.

I think he will want to do coaching too though which might save us money also.

erin go bragh
18-05-2016, 12:46 PM
So , the life long Jambo never played in a winning Derby side .
Get it right up ye .😀

GGTTH

JC94
18-05-2016, 12:57 PM
No idea why anyone would want Bell, if he cant get a game in front of Fotheringham he really must be bad.

I dont think he's that bad, i watched him a lot when he was at Swindon and he was excellent. I think complacency is his problem because how can any
footballer play to the best of their abilities every match if he hasn't got anybody challenging him for a place in the team

Smartie
18-05-2016, 01:21 PM
I dont think he's that bad, i watched him a lot when he was at Swindon and he was excellent. I think complacency is his problem because how can any
footballer play to the best of their abilities every match if he hasn't got anybody challenging him for a place in the team

He takes risks and really sticks his neck on the block.

He's been a good fit for Rangers this year - his good "football" skills have helped them with their football from the back. I think he might prove to be a bit of a liability against better teams that press them high up the park although to be fair the best I've seen him play was in that Celtic game.

It's a bit like Oxley/ Logan I suppose. I personally prefer Logan coming for everything and occasionally missing to Oxley dithering on his line.

18-05-2016, 01:32 PM

I'd take him for a year.

Me too.

Andy74
18-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Something fishy about this release, was being offered a new contract 2 weeks ago

I think its a case of who they have now been able to replace him with.

TheMentalHibees
18-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Usually I'd say "oh not a hearts reject", but we're not really in a position to be turning down good players, especially not keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallumLaidlaw
18-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Is it not accepted by most Hearts fans that Alexander is now well past his sell by date?

SJM
18-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Is it not accepted by most Hearts fans that Alexander is now well past his sell by date?

Wouldn't know any to ask but their goals against column looks pretty goo in the league above us. Good experienced player who knows what it takes to get out this league.

Billy Whizz
18-05-2016, 02:01 PM
I think its a case of who they have now been able to replace him with.

Is Gilks going to be coach as well?

JimboHibs
18-05-2016, 02:07 PM

I'd take him for a year.

Prob true though I'd like to think we could still get a keeper better than Alexander,he's had a few iffy moments this season.

ekhibee
18-05-2016, 02:42 PM
On a seperate point I'm sure I read Alexander's family are all Hibs fans apart from him. I don't know if anybody can confirm that?

BSEJVT
18-05-2016, 02:44 PM
On the basis that we already have 2 keepers signed for next year and presumably first dibs on Logan. I wouldn't think this would be a possibility at all.

An ex Sevco and yams goalie, would have to be Neuer, De Gea & Buffon rolled into one with a mind and skin of steel to have any chance of surviving at ER

IanM
18-05-2016, 02:50 PM
If we were gonna entice and 37 year old to help us in a push I'd be tempted with asking palace for a loan of speroni. Only played twice this season. apprrciate his wages might still be large but at 37 I'm sure we'd agree to something.

There's possible better or potentially better and cheaper mind. It was just going through older keepers is happily welcome

Jamesie
18-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Develop our own goalies? Hibs? [emoji23]
He's a decent goalie and a lot better than we have.

Last goalie we developed ourselves and who made a reasonable number of first team appearances was Chris Reid, almost 25 years ago! Even Andy McNeil (who was a product of the Southampton youth setup) made marginally less appearances than Reid.

ancient hibee
18-05-2016, 05:48 PM
On a seperate point I'm sure I read Alexander's family are all Hibs fans apart from him. I don't know if anybody can confirm that?

I would have to say -who cares who footballers families support?The only thing that matters is what the player does on the park.

PiemanP
18-05-2016, 07:38 PM
I don't think Alexander is the same keeper he was even two seasons ago from what I've seen of his yams performances. Wouldn't say no to Bell as there's a good keeper in there if the money was right.

Aldo
18-05-2016, 07:43 PM
It's a NO from me!!

Edson Arantes
18-05-2016, 09:00 PM
It's a NO from me!!

Why?

Scouse Hibee
18-05-2016, 09:06 PM
He's better than anything we currently have,but that's not really an ideal measure.

#FromTheCapital
18-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Not good enough for Europe? They'll need to empty the whole squad on that basis.

h18eeynick
18-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Not good enough for Europe? They'll need to empty the whole squad on that basis.

I think that it is time Hibs introduced a 'like' button like Facebook and these kind of posts would go viral ! I am crap with techno stuff so someone will probably tell me there is !