PDA

View Full Version : To the Angels High Above

StevieT
16-05-2016, 09:43 PM
I know that these things get done to death but I'm going to suggest it anyway.

Saturday is cup final day and it's also our last game of the season. How about a minutes applause on 07 minutes to all those Hibbies who are no longer with us (we could do something like this at the last home game each season for those who have passed away in the past year).

Let's not forget The Angels High Above.

GGTTH

danhibees1875
16-05-2016, 09:53 PM
We do seem to be having a lot of minute applause's of late. I've had nothing against participating in every one of them but I do think that maybe going forward it would be an idea if there was a once a year catch-all applause. Be it the first home game, last home game, first of the new year, or whatever date. The names of fellow Hibees who had passed during the last year could roll along the scoreboard during a 1/2 minute applause to remember them.

CallumHibs07
16-05-2016, 09:55 PM
lets focus on pumping the huns

matty_f
16-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Nice idea but I'd rather not. We seem to have them frequently, and IMHO they should be reserved for officially organised ones otherwise they lose their meaning and folk stand wondering wtf is going on.

I mean no disrespect to the OP here as well, but they also seem to be randomly organised at the complete whim of random internet punters or groups, and I'm not that comfortable with that.

Some are entirely appropriate, Martin's for example, as a long standing member of the club's broadcast team. Others are just based on someone's subjective view of whether or not they're worthy of it.

I find it difficult to express this view without seeming disrespectful , I'm genuinely not trying to be disrespectful.

Andy74
16-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Nice idea but I'd rather not. We seem to have them frequently, and IMHO they should be reserved for officially organised ones otherwise they lose their meaning and folk stand wondering wtf is going on.

I mean no disrespect to the OP here as well, but they also seem to be randomly organised at the complete whim of random internet punters or groups, and I'm not that comfortable with that.

Some are entirely appropriate, Martin's for example, as a long standing member of the club's broadcast team. Others are just based on someone's subjective view of whether or not they're worthy of it.

I find it difficult to express this view without seeming disrespectful , I'm genuinely not trying to be disrespectful.

Totally agree Matty. It's gone a bit far.

StevieT
16-05-2016, 10:15 PM

Perfectly acceptable response to my post. I agree with a lot of what you say, I just thought it might be an idea for a one off. I am happy to delete this thread if it's not what people want.

monktonharp
lets focus on pumping the hunsok 0-7 , stay calum.......erm I mean calm

Danderhall Hibs
Totally agree Matty. It's gone a bit far.

:agree:

BroxburnHibee
16-05-2016, 10:17 PM

Very well put.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2016, 10:18 PM

Totally agree.

Also much prefer a minute's silence and find them much more dignified and appropriate than a minute's applause.

It's maybe just me but I'm not a fan of an applause at all.

I'm glad that a generic discussion has started on this sort of issue, it's something I have felt for a while now but I didn't want to mention this on a thread that was specifically for any one individual as I thought would have been quite crass.

matty_f
16-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Perfectly acceptable response to my post. I agree with a lot of what you say, I just thought it might be an idea for a one off. I am happy to delete this thread if it's not what people want.

No need to delete it :aok:

Plenty others may well agree with you. :agree:

monktonharp
16-05-2016, 10:22 PM
ok, a minutes silence at the Hibs end, on the 92nd minute on Saturday to respect the way we were committed to the championship last Friday.

Hibby D
16-05-2016, 10:46 PM
I know that these things get done to death but I'm going to suggest it anyway.

Saturday is cup final day and it's also our last game of the season. How about a minutes applause on 07 minutes to all those Hibbies who are no longer with us (we could do something like this at the last home game each season for those who have passed away in the past year).

Let's not forget The Angels High Above.

GGTTH

I'd support this. It's Scottish Cup Final day. The two people in this world who made me the Hibs fan I am, and in turn my son, are no longer with me. They lived and died not seeing our club lift this blasted cup.

If and when it does happen, my tears will be because they're not around to see it. I suspect I won't be alone in that sentiment.

I hope your suggestion gathers momentum

ShinyFantastic
16-05-2016, 10:50 PM
ok, a minutes silence at the Hibs end, on the 92nd minute on Saturday to respect the way we were committed to the championship last Friday.

Wow

monktonharp
16-05-2016, 10:58 PM
I'd support this. It's Scottish Cup Final day. The two people in this world who made me the Hibs fan I am, and in turn my son, are no longer with me. They lived and died not seeing our club lift this blasted cup.

If and when it does happen, my tears will be because they're not around to see it. I suspect I won't be alone in that sentiment.

I hope your suggestion gathers momentumcan equate to that Diane. my previous post was a bit unworthy.

Santa Cruz
16-05-2016, 11:00 PM

I hope your suggestion gathers momentum

+1

My_Wife_Camille
16-05-2016, 11:04 PM
It might seem like it happens too often or might feel like it loses its meaning to some people but it's important to remember that we don't do it for our own benefit.

While it might seem meaningless to you during the applause it could mean the world to the friends or family of the person who is being applauded. Seeing thousands of people paying their respects like that when they didn't even know them must offer some form of comfort.

If I can be a part of something that might offer some comfort to the friends and family of someone who has died by simply clapping my hands for 60 seconds at a football match then I'd happily do it every week.

Seveno
17-05-2016, 12:30 PM

i quite agree. The loss of a loved one is desperately hard to bear but I go to a football match to watch football. It is perfectly acceptable to show a mark of respect to a known and respected servant of the club before the match begins. Society is developing a sort of grief mania where it seems normal to wallow in grief for a total stranger.

mim
17-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Society is developing a sort of grief mania where it seems normal to wallow in grief for a total stranger.

I understand what you are saying, but when one of the Hibee family dies, he or she is never a total stranger :flag:

Andy.1875
17-05-2016, 12:44 PM
I hope to be doing my applause at the end of the game.

pacoluna
17-05-2016, 12:47 PM
i quite agree. The loss of a loved one is desperately hard to bear but I go to a football match to watch football. It is perfectly acceptable to show a mark of respect to a known and respected servant of the club before the match begins. Society is developing a sort of grief mania where it seems normal to wallow in grief for a total stranger.

pity, I always liked the saying quoted by many on here - "HIBS FAMILY"

adhibs
17-05-2016, 12:57 PM
When weve won at the end would be a more fitting time to reflect in my eyes.

Jay
17-05-2016, 01:13 PM
I think grief and remembering loved ones is a personal thing and should remain that way. I renew my season ticket because of the connection to my dad and I have a piece of jewellery I take to Hampden so he is with me. An applause, to me, should be kept for people connected with the club at the appropriate time.

Geo_1875
17-05-2016, 01:14 PM
pity, I always liked the saying quoted by many on here - "HIBS FAMILY"

And when I've lost members of my family I've laid them to rest and grieved in my own way.

I really don't get the need to stand and applaud for what is often a complete stranger, sometimes completely unrelated to Hibs. Silence is more respectful in my opinion.

GreenArmyyy!
17-05-2016, 01:29 PM
There is already a minutes applause arranged for Saturday for a Rangers supporting child who died, 13th minute I think.

Torto7062
17-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Very well put.

Totally Agree,Well were discussing this at the last game it happens often now and no disrespect to anyone who's lost a loved one but maybe once a year is enough unless as said it's an Official Club Organised one...

#WearGreen

SunshineOnLeith
17-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Well put. The last two we had at Easter Road I had no idea what they were for and neither did anyone else around me.

Without wishing to disrespect the deeply personal feelings of grief people might have, these applauses during the game seem to be very much the current 'trend' and I hope it passes pretty soon.

JimBHibees
17-05-2016, 01:54 PM
The last home game of the season would seem a decent compromise.

pacoluna
17-05-2016, 02:26 PM
I also think the east terrace stone idea is a poignant way to have a loved one remembered and a sense that they will always be a part of ER and Hibernian

Edson Arantes
17-05-2016, 02:35 PM

Jings.

keep the faith
17-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Your saying what most have been thinking for a little while, but it's so difficult to articulate because it seems disrespecful, which is not the case.

I agree that an 07 min applause once a season is a very fitting and heartfelt way to pay respects to lost loved ones and fellow hibees.

Pete
17-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Well put. The last two we had at Easter Road I had no idea what they were for and neither did anyone else around me.

Without wishing to disrespect the deeply personal feelings of grief people might have, these applauses during the game seem to be very much the current 'trend' and I hope it passes pretty soon.

:agree:

legends of 73
17-05-2016, 04:12 PM

100% agree

Killiehibbie
17-05-2016, 04:15 PM
How about 90+ minutes making as much noise as possible and lifting the cup. No better tribute to those no longer with us.

Billy
17-05-2016, 10:07 PM
I would like to see the cup being brought back to a packed Easter Road and then the cup placed in the centre circle with the players and staff around it.

We should then have a minutes silence/applause for all our angels who never got to see us lift the trophy.

Scottie
17-05-2016, 10:10 PM
I would like to see the cup being brought back to a packed Easter Road and then the cup placed in the centre circle with the players and staff around it.

We should then have a minutes silence/applause for all our angels who never got to see us lift the trophy.
Goosebumps at that thought :aok:

matty_f
17-05-2016, 10:17 PM

I'd be all for that. :agree:

Seveno
20-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Best idea yet.