PDA

View Full Version : Bartley in the evening news

hfcnic
16-05-2016, 11:22 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/marvin-bartley-we-ve-failed-stubbs-and-hibs-fans-1-4128611

SeanWilson
16-05-2016, 11:23 AM
i read this, this morning. One sentence that sticks in my mind

“When you see how the third goal was scored, you start to ask yourself if it’s a lack of desire. Was he more willing to get there than one of us? And the sad thing is I’m not sure."

:rolleyes:

FastEddieFelson
16-05-2016, 11:25 AM
he's a good lad, big marv. good player, too. hope he's here next season.

hfcnic
16-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I hope he is here next season too. He always gives 100%

Hope this is the motivation for the weekend though :flag:

stoneyburn hibs
16-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Credit to him for being honest.

Then I scrolled down to the comments, Muppet's.

Waxy
16-05-2016, 11:30 AM

“When you see how the third goal was scored, you start to ask yourself if it’s a lack of desire. Was he more willing to get there than one of us? And the sad thing is I’m not sure."

:rolleyes:Guess footballers live in a different world from the fans. If anyone doesnt have the desire to give everything for the Hibs and Hibs supporters then best to go elsewhere.

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2016, 11:32 AM
At least he admitted that the players have done too much talking without the action to match it this season.

Hibee Mac
16-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Glad he's staying. He seems like the type who will be determined to improve and not make the same mistakes again

I like what he said about too much chatter to the media, hopefully he'll try and keep folk in check about what they say next season.

3pm
16-05-2016, 11:34 AM
They have a chance to fix it on Saturday.

We'll soon see if it's paper talk.

Carheenlea
16-05-2016, 11:35 AM
When players start suggesting there may have been more desire in the opposition, then it's perhaps time for a serious summer clear out, regardless of individual players ability.

Ozyhibby
Bartley apologised to the Hibs supporters for failing to secure a return to the Premiership. He admits the players have been guilty of being too outspoken in their media dealings and failing to back up their bold words with deeds.
-------
No self awareness there Marv? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim44

:rolleyes:

What a confession!! I hope it's not true. If it's true, you can start imagining all sorts of things, like, do some of the players not want promotion? Are they comfortable playing at the crappy level they've become used to? The mind boggles.:bitchy:

Ozyhibby
16-05-2016, 11:36 AM
At least he admitted that the players have done too much talking without the action to match it this season.

Yes, in an interview with the media. [emoji23]

Andy74
16-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Bartley apologised to the Hibs supporters for failing to secure a return to the Premiership. He admits the players have been guilty of being too outspoken in their media dealings and failing to back up their bold words with deeds.
-------
No self awareness there Marv? [emoji3]

He does address that in the article - he has obviously had to speak and he has said that he really shouldn't be and all he can do is apologise.

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Yes, in an interview with the media. [emoji23]

He did mention that to be fair to him - Players have to do these interviews, but its what they say in them that he's talking about.

Andy74
16-05-2016, 11:40 AM
He did mention that to be fair to him - Players have to do these interviews, but its what they say in them that he's talking about.

Yep, for those who will comment not reading the actual article:

As a footballer, you have to speak to the press but we’ve done too much talking and not enough action. Even now, me talking about it, all I can do is apologise to the fans

Jim44
16-05-2016, 11:50 AM
The more I think about Bartley's comments, the more I begin to question the whole ethos of the club which is spiralling into oblivion by the season. Is there something rank rotten at the core of the club? You would think that our spectacular failure would level out at some point, but there's not the remotest sign of an upward turn.

Ozyhibby
16-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Personally I would have told the media and the sponsors that we have a sickness bug at East mains and we are locking down the training centre for the week.

Waxy
16-05-2016, 11:52 AM
The more I think about Bartley's comments, the more I begin to question the whole ethos of the club which is spiralling into oblivion by the season. Is there something rank rotten at the core of the club? You would think that our spectacular failure would level out at some point, but there's not the remotest sign of an upward turn.

Nah two cup finals havent happened? Wouldnt even one cup final be described as the remotest sign of an upward turn?

GreenArmyyy!
16-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I must say this is one of the most open and honest interviews I have ever heard from a current player. Very refreshing to hear.

We are all still disappointed of course but we have one last chance which if the players take will immortalise them in Hibernian history.

I for one and now getting fired up again and am ready to take on The Rangers on Saturday. If we play to our capability we have proven time and time again over the past two seasons that we can beat them.

DREAM. BELIEVE. ACHIEVE.

#Togetherwearetronger 💚

SJM
16-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Nah two cup finals havent happened? Wouldnt even one cup final be described as the remotest sign of an upward turn?

No, because we lost. We made finals under Fenlon too so upturn since what when ultimately we had zero to show for it whilst ross county have a shiny cup in their board room and rangers and hearts aren't having to motor it down to summerset park next season.

Smartie
16-05-2016, 12:07 PM

You sometimes wonder if their chat in the media is reflective of their own thoughts or what they say to each other. Or is it misquoted or made-up nonsense.

Darren McGregor's comments the other night - exactly what we wanted to hear, exactly what we needed to hear. That guy's got the right attitude.

Stubbs - "I'll make my mind up at the end of the season" from the leader, the man at the top.

I can't decide whether to be impressed with Bartley's honesty or horrified that what he's saying might be true.

It beggars belief that the Falkirk players would have more desire than ours but the evidence is plain to see in the latter stages of our last 3 games against them that they do.

KeithTheHibby
16-05-2016, 12:15 PM
You sometimes wonder if their chat in the media is reflective of their own thoughts or what they say to each other. Or is it misquoted or made-up nonsense.

Darren McGregor's comments the other night - exactly what we wanted to hear, exactly what we needed to hear. That guy's got the right attitude.

Stubbs - "I'll make my mind up at the end of the season" from the leader, the man at the top.

I can't decide whether to be impressed with Bartley's honesty or horrified that what he's saying might be true.

It beggars belief that the Falkirk players would have more desire than ours but the evidence is plain to see in the latter stages of our last 3 games against them that they do.

Where on earth did he say that?

Jim44
16-05-2016, 12:16 PM

I'm happy for you, if you if you get some sort of satisfaction or consolation from spasmodic titbits of success, which never seem to lead anywhere. Maybe I'm too hard to please, but, until we are back playing at the top level, I won't be satisfied.

The_Horde
16-05-2016, 12:55 PM

IMO when they've had something to prove they've had the desire in abundance.

Since the hearts game, they've thought the point had been proven and not been as keen.

High-On-Hibs
16-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Not sure why anybody would be shocked by any of his comments. He's only telling us what we already know.

SeanWilson
16-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Where on earth did he say that?

was all over the news on Friday afternoon - Stubbs said he would take a decision in the summer.

Hi Heid Yin
16-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Utter honesty, articulated so well by a player who cares.
So many references to his team mates in his well-chosen words.
Thank you Marvin Bartley.

Onion
16-05-2016, 02:06 PM
What a confession!! I hope it's not true. If it's true, you can start imagining all sorts of things, like, do some of the players not want promotion? Are they comfortable playing at the crappy level they've become used to? The mind boggles.:bitchy:

No need to be comfortable as some know they'll not be at Hibs next season irrespective of of the league we're in. We have that exactly same problem for Saturday.

SJM
16-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Bartley was shocking on Friday but I can't argue his point.

Waxy
16-05-2016, 03:36 PM
I'm happy for you, if you if you get some sort of satisfaction or consolation from spasmodic titbits of success, which never seem to lead anywhere. Maybe I'm too hard to please, but, until we are back playing at the top level, I won't be satisfied.
All im saying is getting to these cup finals and beating all these SPFL sides proves we must be doing something right therefore your "no upward turn" remark is well, off the mark.

Pete
16-05-2016, 03:49 PM

I think your going off on an unnecessary tangent.

It sounds to me like he's calling out individual players, which I don't like. It should be done behind closed doors if he has issues but I'm sure they could easily hit back at him.

Heckys Wheel
16-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I think your going off on an unnecessary tangent.

It sounds to me like he's calling out individual players, which I don't like. It should be done behind closed doors if he has issues but I'm sure they could easily hit back at him.

Given his performance when he came on on Friday night, he's not in any position to be calling out other players.

ekhibee
16-05-2016, 05:04 PM
We all want to be back playing at the top level, that goes without saying. That doesn't mean you need to trivialize the team getting to 2 cup finals, 1 of which we can still win. So yes, you are too hard to please.

bookert
16-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Utter honesty, articulated so well by a player who cares.
So many references to his team mates in his well-chosen words.
Thank you Marvin Bartley.

I think he's got some nerve, given his contribution to the third goal.

Jim44
16-05-2016, 06:30 PM
All im saying is getting to these cup finals and beating all these SPFL sides proves we must be doing something right therefore your "no upward turn" remark is well, off the mark.

We all want to be back playing at the top level, that goes without saying. That doesn't mean you need to trivialize the team getting to 2 cup finals, 1 of which we can still win. So yes, you are too hard to please.

Ok, I accept that my dismissal of our efforts this season is too strong and, believe me, I will be as chuffed as anyone if we stuff Sevco this weekend. But my satisfaction stops there and I won't be having warm feelings and memories about cup wins next season when we're struggling to beat the likes of Dumbarton on a freezing cold wet November Tuesday night.

Smartie
16-05-2016, 06:34 PM
I think he's got some nerve, given his contribution to the third goal.

I get your point but to be fair to Bartley it was pretty much the first time he's let us down/ made anything like a serious mistake/ showed anything other than 100% determination and desire.

All the other guilty parties have more than a bit of previous.

Nameless
16-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Is it possible Bartly is referring to himself when he questions the desire of players on Friday?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Logie
16-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Imo needless comments once again from our players! Saying the players lacked desire to win the ball is not great going into a huge final! I really wish we would tell the press to do one and get on with our training/tactics etc! Hope stubbs gets a bunch of comments from other about us and this hibs'd it etc for motivation!

GreenArmyyy!
16-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Is it possible Bartly is referring to himself when he questions the desire of players on Friday?

No, obviously not.

Tyler Durden
16-05-2016, 07:29 PM
No, obviously not.

Erm, he clearly is talking about himself as much as any of his team mates.

I'd question the part about them working thoroughly on set pieces. Why wasn't McGregor over at the near post for example to win the first header? He could easily have swapped his usual man.

You'd think after we lost these goals at home to Falkirk in the 2-2 league game, they'd work on something different to counter the long throw

Nameless
16-05-2016, 07:43 PM
No, obviously not.
Thanks for clearing that up, obviously.

KWJ
16-05-2016, 08:36 PM
On the desire thing one team is always going to have more than the other but usually, like in this game, it's a very fine margin. Falkirk have played with huge desire all season as befits their underdog mantle.

That doesn't mean our players were lacking in it. They switched off at a couple of horrible moments in the game and it cost us dearly.

Amazed at the stick Gray was getting for his header on the 2nd. Thought it was a decent cleared header, just unfortunate that the only player filling the space it landed in was for Falkirk and he hit the shot of his life.

If one of our midfielders had picked it up we could've countered.

tamig
16-05-2016, 09:46 PM
What nonsense.

Zazu62
16-05-2016, 09:50 PM
This forum reeks of yam

familyman
16-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Bartley was shocking on Friday but I can't argue his point.
Finally we read an honest comment and a hint at behind the scenes.It is time at long last to have less PR and more open honesty.There is no doubt at nearly all this crop of players failed us, some having done so also a couple of years ago...enough is surely enough.
The challenge then is do we replace the manager and all that means ,with finding another in a very short time scale or do we stick with AS assuming he wishes to stay on?
Radical but positive changes on the park are required ...we already know some are leaving us anyway.
But we need another style of play,one that suits this league only for now at least...and that is a concern if we retain AS he would need to change a lot of things I reckon,but perhaps he can .He is still new to this management game so perhaps he needs a more experienced colleague alongside ,so we get the best of both worlds?
It is all just going on far too long and we are disappearing fast as a so called big club....
This Saturday let us finally see the team play as they promised to play and try to repay us all finally with something to cheer about!
One thing though some of the old guard are just that and should move on .

monktonharp
16-05-2016, 10:49 PM
We all want to be back playing at the top level, that goes without saying. That doesn't mean you need to trivialize the team getting to 2 cup finals, 1 of which we can still win. So yes, you are too hard to please.:agree:

monktonharp
16-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Ok, I accept that my dismissal of our efforts this season is too strong and, believe me, I will be as chuffed as anyone if we stuff Sevco this weekend. But my satisfaction stops there and I won't be having warm feelings and memories about cup wins next season when we're struggling to beat the likes of Dumbarton on a freezing cold wet November Tuesday night.deary me. you must, nay surely you should recognise that a hellava lot of Hibernian fans will be happy to win the Scottish cup at the expense of a premier league place next season? I would, and dozens of Hibs fans have sided with me on that. 4 cup finals, 5 years. c,mon we need to win it.

Deansy
16-05-2016, 11:10 PM

Yup - years and years of 'Business 1st - Football 2nd' has ripped the pride and desire out of it ! I think it was Liam Craig who said 'Walking into ER was strange, the atmosphere was more like an office than a football-club' !!