PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

Heckys Wheel
16-05-2016, 08:13 AM
""I’m absolutely devastated, almost in tears. It’s the lowest of the low, knowing we had the potential to go up through the play offs.
I’ll be here next year, just giving the same 100 per cent to get us out of it.”
- Darren McGregor

You never know if a sentence wrapped in speach marks with a picture of the person next to it on Facebook is authentic but sounds about right from McGregor.

He'd be my choice for captain next season and looking at this season as a whole, probably my choice for POTY as well.

Since90+2
16-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Darren is more of a natural leader than Gray and should be captain next year IMO.

Coults1875
16-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Darren is more of a natural leader than Gray and should be captain next year IMO.

100%

hibee_girl
16-05-2016, 08:23 AM
He understands the pain more than any of them having stood in the stands for many years as a fan!

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Never mind next season - let him lead the team out on Saturday!! you can tell by his reactions after goals/games he feels every emotion we feel in the stands. I'd also have him go through Waghorn in the first minute so he knows what he's in for

SJM
16-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Get Gunnarsson in at right back and give him the captaincy starting Saturday I agree. He's gotten better as the season has progressed.

J-C
16-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Never mind next season - let him lead the team out on Saturday!! you can tell by his reactions after goals/games he feels every emotion we feel in the stands. I'd also have him go through Waghorn in the first minute so he knows what he's in for

Get Gunnarsson in at right back and give him the captaincy starting Saturday I agree. He's gotten better as the season has progressed.

I think you both know by now Stubbs won't do that, Gray is his chosen captain and he is very loyal to certain players, maybe too much so to the detriment of the team, any way if he is using his brains we'll be going 3 at the back.

Calum68
16-05-2016, 08:57 AM
We know giving the captaincy to good individuals can put a big burden on the player. Possibly next season but not Saturday. Need to also consider the effect that would that have on Hanlon. Scottish Cup final should mean 11 captains on the pitch driving each other forward.

The Green Goblin
16-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Although last week was very hard to take, it is great to see a player come out like this and say they have no intentions of going anywhere. Good for him. :agree:

SJM
16-05-2016, 09:01 AM
I think you both know by now Stubbs won't do that, Gray is his chosen captain and he is very loyal to certain players, maybe too much so to the detriment of the team, any way if he is using his brains we'll be going 3 at the back.

Yeah, you are of course correct.

Dunedin Hibs
16-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Although last week was very hard to take, it is great to see a player come out like this and say they have no intentions of going anywhere. Good for him. :agree:

He has been immense for us. Certainly next year a contender for Captain. Is it sensible to change Captains now? Probably not, but then again can you imagine the pride Darren would have lifting the Cup? A great signing by Stubbs and he has the battling instinct. Whoever leads our Club out will have my backing....oh go on then make it Darren.

mghibs
16-05-2016, 09:18 AM
He was absolutely raging at full time on Friday, you could see all his frustration quite plainly... Really felt bad for someone who is obviously giving 100% in every game he plays for at the club he loves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeT_WasTheBest
16-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Tin hat on, and let me say I really really like McGregor, BUT some of his positioning leaves a lot to be desired. Rushing out back at Ibrox when Lewis lost possession, not running out wide for the Ross County winning goal, and he was one of the boys who didn't manage to block the winner on Friday.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, but what I would say is he's been part of a defence that has lost too many soft goals this season so we really need to look at the centre backs before next season starts.

Smartie
16-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Tin hat on, and let me say I really really like McGregor, BUT some of his positioning leaves a lot to be desired. Rushing out back at Ibrox when Lewis lost possession, not running out wide for the Ross County winning goal, and he was one of the boys who didn't manage to block the winner on Friday.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, but what I would say is he's been part of a defence that has lost too many soft goals this season so we really need to look at the centre backs before next season starts.

I agree but don't think McGregor is the place to start.

GreenArmyyy!
16-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Hard to look at the positives from Friday but I said it during the game, he was absolutely colossal at the back throughout the game and you could see he was doing everything he possibly could to get a result for us. Great to have a player who really understands the club, much the same way Henderson has taken to us.

Roxyhibee
16-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Private Godfrey is more of a natural leader than Gray.

Mind you, we are significantly short of those qualities throughout the whole team and this is a continuing key problem for us.

Smartie
16-05-2016, 12:26 PM
I think we need to stop giving someone the armband temporarily, claiming they're the saviour before giving it to them permanently then when we lose a few games blaming the choice of captain.

Good teams have leaders all over the park, not one dominant player in an armband.

ian cruise
16-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Private Godfrey is more of a natural leader than Gray.

Mind you, we are significantly short of those qualities throughout the whole team and this is a continuing key problem for us.

Last season folk were calling out for Gray to be captain and now he's not a capable leader? Gray hasn't had as good a season as he had prior but he's still a good player and a good captain.

EVENTUALLY
16-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Last season folk were calling out for Gray to be captain and now he's not a capable leader? Gray hasn't had as good a season as he had prior but he's still a good player and a good captain.
Agreed. He's also a danger to Rangers as his goals and attacking headers have proved in the past. This is not a week to go looking for scapegoats. David, Darren, Paul Hanlon, Wee Lewis and all the rest need our full backing. Everyone has a part to play, not least the support.

JOD
16-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Agreed. He's also a danger to Rangers as his goals and attacking headers have proved in the past. This is not a week to go looking for scapegoats. David, Darren, Paul Hanlon, Wee Lewis and all the rest need our full backing. Everyone has a part to play, not least the support.

100%

KWJ
16-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Hard to look at the positives from Friday but I said it during the game, he was absolutely colossal at the back throughout the game and you could see he was doing everything he possibly could to get a result for us. Great to have a player who really understands the club, much the same way Henderson has taken to us.

Agree. McGregor seemed to win just about everything in his path. We conceded 3 but I don't think it was down to the center backs. Hanlon was probably a bit at fault for the killer 3rd but I've not had it in me to watch it back yet.

I think many on here are too harsh of our defense considering what we've endured over the past 10 or so years. I particularly enjoy watching so many local guys wear the jersey over some of the impostors we've had of late.

monktonharp
16-05-2016, 08:39 PM
I am sure that any Hibs player that plays on Saturday will go in with the feeling of giving their all. they must feel very aggrieved at how things have panned out this season, given the tremendous effort over the last 6 or 7 weeks. we , and they all know that the incredible slump was surreal and losing the final was painful. one last effort, with 100% by them has got to be expected.

Hibernia&Alba
16-05-2016, 08:46 PM
He understands the pain more than any of them having stood in the stands for many years as a fan!

:agree:

He genuinely cares; it isn't just about the money, as it is for many footballers.

OsloHibs
17-05-2016, 02:02 AM
I'd love to him as our captain next season. Gray's head goes down too much when we go a goal down for me.

Dinkydoo
17-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Agreed.

Hanlon or McGregor should be captain next season.

In Gray's first season I thought he was fantastic but this year he's been average a bit too many times to keep the arm band, in my opinion.

Onceinawhile
17-05-2016, 07:04 AM
I don't think Hanlon will be at Easter Road next year.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Darren McGregor is doing his best to try persuade most of the boys to stay at Hibs.

Itsnoteasy
17-05-2016, 09:12 AM
""I’m absolutely devastated, almost in tears. It’s the lowest of the low, knowing we had the potential to go up through the play offs.
I’ll be here next year, just giving the same 100 per cent to get us out of it.”
- Darren McGregor

You never know if a sentence wrapped in speach marks with a picture of the person next to it on Facebook is authentic but sounds about right from McGregor.

He'd be my choice for captain next season and looking at this season as a whole, probably my choice for POTY as well.

POTY should never have been McGINN