PDA

View Full Version : Ayr United

Zazu62
15-05-2016, 04:24 PM
We will be playing them in the championship next season they have just beaten Stranraer on penalties

Pete
15-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Easier to get to I suppose.

Might also be an Ayrshire derby or two next season.

Diclonius
15-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Not great but better than Stranraer.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I like a trip to Ayr.

1987kev
15-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I like a trip to Ayr.

Only good thing about staying down is a day out in Dunfermline

hibs69
15-05-2016, 04:32 PM
My last trip to Ayr was Skol Cup 91. Mother in laws sheeyitey maroon maestro broke down on the way back.

Sudds_1
15-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Only good thing about staying down is a day out in Dunfermline

.........and the best scran in the league !! mmmmmmmmmm steak bridie anyone?

tamig
15-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Not great but better than Stranraer.

Stranraer was a great day out. Epic train journey and great hospitality in their supporters club.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Return of the tattoo freak.

TAHibby
15-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Can't wait

Billy McKirdy
15-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Might combine that with a wee weekend in Craig Tara 👍

Sir David Gray
15-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Magic, can't wait. :rolleyes:

Yorkshire HFC
15-05-2016, 05:09 PM
I vaguely remember being at a cup game on a Wednesday night at Easter Road in about 1980? They put us out on penalties

Hibby Bairn
15-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Tough opponents.

The_Horde
15-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Another ground where we'll convince ourselves it's going to be hard.. And then make it that way

ronaldo7
15-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Tough opponents.

Not from what I witnessed today. They were mince, and hopefully will be again next season.

Killiehibbie
15-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I like a wee trip in the time machine every so often.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 05:19 PM
When we've had a decent team and approached games the right way it's been an easy place to go.

When we've had poor teams and a bad attitude we've made it tough for ourselves.

Pretty much the same for all the grounds we visit next season.

BroxburnHibee
15-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Wife's family from Ayr so delighted with this.

Good day out

Greencore
15-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Used to live in Ayr, will be fun going back

Cod Boy
15-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Ryan Stevenson will no doubt score against Hibs.

Renfrew_Hibby
15-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Ayr boy born and bred but been away from the town for about 10 years now. Watching the game today brought back memories from my childhood when I would have been one of those wee boys that you saw down the front of the terracing below the TV gantry.
That said I was always a Hibby, and when we play them I can go round to my mums for my tea after!

Billy Whizz
15-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Ayr boy born and bred but been away from the town for about 10 years now. Watching the game today brought back memories from my childhood when I would have been one of those wee boys that you saw down the front of the terracing below the TV gantry.
That said I was always a Hibby, and when we play them I can go round to my mums for my tea after!

Me too, but left many moons ago. Means I can go down and visit my Auntie Betty a couple of more times

IberianHibernian
15-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Looks like we`ll play Dundee United at New Year . St M v Morton , Dunf v Raith , Ayr v Killie / QOS , Dumbarton v QOS /Falkirk , Hibs v Dundee United or maybe Raith v Dundee United and Hibs V Dunfermline .

Zazu62
15-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Another ground where we'll convince ourselves it's going to be hard.. And then make it that way

That's what's kind of annoyed me this season .. A few days before we play away at your Dumbartons and mortons of this world we get the aw Dumbarton is a hard place to go etc from the club/players/fans .. Why is it a hard place to go? Why can't we go and hammer these part time (mostly) teams .. Hibs should be blowing these teams away and we haven't and that is what worries me for next season

Lago
15-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Me too, but left many moons ago. Means I can go down and visit my Auntie Betty a couple of more times
Use to go to Somerset Park with my Dad, also many, many moons ago. Brother still lives there.

Scottie
15-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Another part time team that will probably pump us with Ian McColl as their manager :cb

Diclonius
15-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Hibs should be winning 4 out of 4 against Ayr United. Anything less is sackable in itself. We should NOT be stooping to the level of "oh, they should be tricky". They won't if we get our act together.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Hibs should be winning 4 out of 4 against Ayr United. Anything less is sackable in itself. We should NOT be stooping to the level of "oh, they should be tricky". They won't if we get our act together.

I get your point but this is a bit over the top.

Warburton dropped a good few silly points to Alloa this season but still skooshed the league - should he be given his jotters?

We'll have the odd bad result next season even if we do brilliantly. The key is to brush it off and ensure it is an exception and not the rule, unlike the atrocious run of results we've witnessed during the second half of this season.

DaveSo
15-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I vaguely remember being at a cup game on a Wednesday night at Easter Road in about 1980? They put us out on penalties

If it was a game where it absolutely teemed down with rain I was there too.
My memory is it went into extra time but we lost 2-0.
Not a good night.

Billy Whizz
15-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Not a good night.

Think Derek Frye scored at least one that night

Waxy
15-05-2016, 07:09 PM
So important for us to get off to a good start.We need others chasing us for a change.

Diclonius
15-05-2016, 07:15 PM
I get your point but this is a bit over the top.

Warburton dropped a good few silly points to Alloa this season but still skooshed the league - should he be given his jotters?

We'll have the odd bad result next season even if we do brilliantly. The key is to brush it off and ensure it is an exception and not the rule, unlike the atrocious run of results we've witnessed during the second half of this season.

Point taken, obviously I'm not literally implying that if Stubbs/Manager #2 gets the odd draw then we should get rid, but if we drop points against Ayr then that should be considered extremely disappointing unless it's a minor blip towards easily securing the title. We should not be looking at Ayr away and considering it a tough tie.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Point taken, obviously I'm not literally implying that if Stubbs/Manager #2 gets the odd draw then we should get rid, but if we drop points against Ayr then that should be considered extremely disappointing unless it's a minor blip towards easily securing the title. We should not be looking at Ayr away and considering it a tough tie.

Agree 100%.

When we won the league comfortably before we still managed to lose at home to Stranraer and iirc our long unbeaten run was ended by a defeat at Clydebank.

We need to get away from needlessly talking up mediocre opposition. Treat them with respect certainly and do our job professionally but we shouldn't be fearing going to Somerset Park or anywhere else.

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Ayr are a team we should be skelping 4 times next season.

Glory Lurker
15-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Ayr are a team we should be skelping 4 times next season.

:agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
15-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Might combine that with a wee weekend in Craig Tara 👍

I would hope you would ask him first....

ekhibee
15-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Looks like we`ll play Dundee United at New Year . St M v Morton , Dunf v Raith , Ayr v Killie / QOS , Dumbarton v QOS /Falkirk , Hibs v Dundee United or maybe Raith v Dundee United and Hibs V Dunfermline .
Wow I'd forgotten about that. DU's going to be our 'derby game' then?

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Wow I'd forgotten about that. DU's going to be our 'derby game' then?

Falkirk if they don't go up.

ekhibee
15-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Agree 100%.

When we won the league comfortably before we still managed to lose at home to Stranraer and iirc our long unbeaten run was ended by a defeat at Clydebank.

We need to get away from needlessly talking up mediocre opposition. Treat them with respect certainly and do our job professionally but we shouldn't be fearing going to Somerset Park or anywhere else.
St Midden beat us 2-0 that season at Love Street. Sadly I was there.

Billy Whizz
15-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Falkirk if they don't go up.

I'd have thought Dunfermline, who will you support HC ha ha ha ha

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 08:20 PM
I'd have thought Dunfermline, who will you support HC ha ha ha ha

Dunfermline will have Raith BW. I will be in the Centre stand for that game, the neutral section :D

Billy Whizz
15-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Dunfermline will have Raith BW. I will be in the Centre stand for that game, the neutral section :D

I was only kidding anyway, don't want barred on here, before you report me😄

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 08:28 PM
I was only kidding anyway, don't want barred on here, before you report me

Yes I know :greengrin:aok:

Iggy Pope
15-05-2016, 08:33 PM

It's been tough in the past. Recent and not so recent and with better sides than the current one.. It will be tough again I'm sure.

Iggy Pope
15-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Not a good night.

Colin Kelly in goals for Hibs? Couldn't believe we went out that night.

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Colin Kelly in goals for Hibs? Couldn't believe we went out that night.

They knocked us out the scottish a few years ago did they not? A replay at Ayr, they won 2-0 and the game was live on sky sports. More humiliation on tv.

PatHead
15-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Worse one was the semi at Hampden. Sauzee sacked after it I think.

GreenLake
15-05-2016, 10:55 PM
I think the manager of my gym is an Ayr Utd fan.

stoneyburn hibs
15-05-2016, 10:56 PM

Could be mistaken, but I think he was sacked after a home game.

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Could be mistaken, but I think he was sacked after a home game.

I thought it was after beating Stranraer 4-0 at home in a cup replay after drawing 0-0 with them at Stair Park.

Diclonius
They knocked us out the scottish a few years ago did they not? A replay at Ayr, they won 2-0 and the game was live on sky sports. More humiliation on tv.

1-0.

I was there, that was a classic Hibs performance. We must have had about 15 shots at goal that night and not a single one went in. For their goal their mid-30s striker did about 5 step overs in the box with not a single challenge from any of our players and slotted it in with ease.

That was the first game where there was considerable fan discontent towards Petrie.

IberianHibernian
Don`t remember us losing to Ayr in Scottish Cup . Beat them at ER back in early 80s 1 v 0 on a Sunday with about 15 , 000 there ( Ayr were quite a big team back then and probably had a couple of thousand fans there , plus George Best was supposed to play but didn`t turn up ) and at Ayr with a big away support with Pat Fenlon as manager in 2012 . In League Cup we lost at Hampden in semi ( with Yogi and Pat McGinlay ( ? ) playing for them ) and I remember losing to them at ER 0 v 2 after draw in first leg in about 1980 (As I said before , Ayr were quite a strong team - like Ross County now perhaps - in 70s and early 80s ) so that cup defeat was not a big surprise .

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 11:08 PM
1-0.

I was there, that was a classic Hibs performance. We must have had about 15 shots at goal that night and not a single one went in. For their goal their mid-30s striker did about 5 step overs in the box with not a single challenge from any of our players and slotted it in with ease.

That was the first game where there was considerable fan discontent towards Petrie.

I was there as well but thought it was 2-0. They actually should have beat us at easter rd in the first game.

Diclonius
15-05-2016, 11:09 PM
I was there as well but thought it was 2-0. They actually should have beat us at easter rd in the first game.

Yeah, last minute chance cleared off the line if I recall.

We went back there the next season and comfortably won 2-0 with arguably a worse team.

The_Exile
16-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Somerset Park is probably my favourite football ground so looking forward to those trips at least.

Hibby Bairn
16-05-2016, 06:28 AM

11,000 at Hampden IIRC.

polarbear
16-05-2016, 06:33 AM
Ayr will be a great away day. Lots of nice pubs and places to eat, a great wee town centre and a superb, old style, traditional style Scottish football ground.
I think they still have Terraces. Sounds decent to me.

Killiehibbie
16-05-2016, 07:54 AM
1-0.

Mark Roberts.

Renfrew_Hibby
16-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Ayr will be a great away day. Lots of nice pubs and places to eat, a great wee town centre and a superb, old style, traditional style Scottish football ground.
I think they still have Terraces. Sounds decent to me.
You've no been to Ayr for a while then?
Town centres dire and as someone who grew up in Ayr for me its lost its soul. Only go back occasionally but I'm always saddened when I do.

vanNISHtelroy
16-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Nice to see Ayr get promoted, hopefully no Ayrshire derbies next year though (unless we meet in the cup!)

Would like to see them make top flight at some stage....although without winning the title so through the playoffs.

AUWFA!

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Not a good night.

I was at that game, though I remember the rain more than the match .... I was in the enclosure and spent part of the game talking to a nice wee African guy, it was so unusual to see a black guy at ER in those days I still remember him. I think the crowd was about 4 or 5 thousand.

As for Ayr Utd ( one of my favourite away grounds ) they were 2nd best yesterday and if that is the best they can play they will be favourites for the drop next season.

Hermit Crab
16-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I was at that game, though I remember the rain more than the match .... I was in the enclosure and spent part of the game talking to a nice wee African guy, it was so unusual to see a black guy at ER in those days I still remember him. I think the crowd was about 4 or 5 thousand.

As for Ayr Utd ( one of my favourite away grounds ) they were 2nd best yesterday and if that is the best they can play they will be favourites for the drop next season.

Be rest assured they will raise their game against us like the other teams have done this season.