PDA

View Full Version : Old Trafford being Evacuated

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Part of stadium evacuated including studio

Sir David Gray
15-05-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm out just now any idea what's happening?

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 02:04 PM
They've only said due to an incident. Away end isn't closed and the studio aren't evacuated.

Police dogs now in.

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Suspect package,sniffers dogs in now also.

stantonhibby
15-05-2016, 02:05 PM
They've only said due to an incident. Away end isn't closed and the studio aren't evacuated.

Police dogs now in.

Suspect package

Callum7
According to Phil McNulty on Twitter

"A suspect packge has been identified in north-west corner of Old Trafford. The police will inspect the package & the area has been evacuated"

1987kev

I'm just in don't know what happening but there's a sniffer dog going around the seats

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Police dogs now in.

Said studio was being evacuated when on air before the game.

hibee_girl
15-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Match called off

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Match abandoned,and Souness moans about it ffs safety more important than a football match.

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Said studio was being evacuated when on air before the game.

:agree: then when they came back said they didn't have to.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Must be really concerned about whatever it is they've found.

Newcastlehibby
15-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Can't afford to take a chance in the current climate.

Newcastlehibby
15-05-2016, 02:16 PM
I went to a suspect package at a pub once. The landlord was suspicious of a cardboard box at his rear door. It turned out to be his daily bread delivery!!!

Allant1981
15-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Bomb squad going in now

stantonhibby
15-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Bomb squad going in now

You do wonder if this is linked in some way to the recent upgrade in terror threat alert relating to N Ireland.

Hibs90
15-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Souness nearly talking himself into a massive massive hole

stantonhibby
15-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Yeah that was a sentence he wished he hadn't started!

Since90+2
15-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah that was a sentence he wished he hadn't started!

What did he say?

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 03:05 PM
You do wonder if this is linked in some way to the recent upgrade in terror threat alert relating to N Ireland.

I never realised it had been raised from moderate to substantial until you mentioned it.

Callum7
15-05-2016, 03:20 PM
According to the mail online sport on tiwtter

"BREAKING: The 'suspect package' found at Old Trafford was a mobile phone attached to pipes"

Allant1981
15-05-2016, 03:26 PM
I never realised it had been raised from moderate to substantial until you mentioned it.

Changed during the week

Pretty Boy
15-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I've always been suprised a big football match in this country hasn't been targeted by terrorism. Looks like that may have changed today. The potential casualties in a single attack is frightening.

Have to say that reading Twitter etc it seems Man Utd, the Police and others involved have dealt with this very well.

Since90+2
15-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Controlled explosion carried out at Old Trafford.

DH1875
15-05-2016, 03:50 PM
According to the mail online sport on tiwtter

"BREAKING: The 'suspect package' found at Old Trafford was a mobile phone attached to pipes"

That doesn't sound good.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2016, 04:02 PM

Add in the ars and that is exactly what he is.

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 04:10 PM
I wonder if it was actually a viable device or it was unable to be verified? Many controlled explosions are carried out on devices,objects that turn out to be completely harmless.

Hibernia&Alba
15-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I wonder if it was actually a viable device or it was unable to be verified? Many controlled explosions are carried out on devices,objects that turn out to be completely harmless.

Aye, hopefully it will just be somebody leaving a bag unattended, rather than a real attempt to cause an explosion.

Since90+2
15-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Aye, hopefully it will just be somebody leaving a bag unattended, rather than a real attempt to cause an explosion.

The device that was found was apparently a mobile phone taped to the piping system.

Callum7
15-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Controlled explosion has been completed.

Pretty Boy
15-05-2016, 04:22 PM
The device that was found was apparently a mobile phone taped to the piping system.

Is it Stan Collymore that's providing that info or has someone more 'official' verified it?

I noticed Collymore tweeting that from a 'source' earlier along with a plug for his TalkSport show. I can't help but wonder if it's just a pretty callous attempt to get a few extra listeners.

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 04:24 PM

I thought they meant it was taped to a pipe, so a potential pipe bomb set up.

Since90+2
15-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Is it Stan Collymore that's providing that info or has someone more 'official' verified it?

I noticed Collymore tweeting that from a 'source' earlier along with a plug for his TalkSport show. I can't help but wonder if it's just a pretty callous attempt to get a few extra listeners.

Reported by various media outlets on Twitter including the Daily Mail. No official confirmation from GMP as yet I don't think though.

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 04:33 PM

The Guardian newspaper have said the same.

heidtheba
15-05-2016, 04:46 PM
I live next to a barracks and it was always deeply unsettling to go past the main gate on the bus and see the terrorist threat alert change according to what was going on in the world. Very easy to kid yourself that events don't affect us (well, that's almost certainly me being naive but you know what I mean...)

Sounds like everyone did their job really well today.

Marinellos magi
15-05-2016, 04:55 PM
A sad day for anyone who just wants to go to game of football. The world is going mad.

Pete
15-05-2016, 04:59 PM
I wonder if we would have been told by now if this was dissident republicans. Don't know much about it nowadays but weren't coded warnings always given?

Sir David Gray
15-05-2016, 05:05 PM
If it was an attempted terrorist attack, I'm just glad that the authorities were on the ball and that nothing happened.

I've no doubt that football grounds, particularly ones like Old Trafford, will be a target for terrorist attacks in the future.

Sergey
15-05-2016, 05:08 PM
I wonder if we would have been told by now if this was dissident republicans. Don't know much about it nowadays but weren't coded warnings always given?

Mr P O'Neill was the coded warning during the IRA campaigns.

silverhibee
15-05-2016, 05:15 PM
GMP Statement.

Bomb disposal exploded a life like device.

Hibernia&Alba
15-05-2016, 05:17 PM
GMP Statement.

Bomb disposal exploded a life like device.

What's a life like device? A shop window dummy with a bomb attached?

Since90+2
15-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Would expect heightened security next week at Hampden.

hibee_girl
15-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Latest tweets from GMP:

G M Police ‏@gmpolice 1m1 minute ago
Full assessment now concluded and found device wasn’t viable. A full search of the stadium is ongoing. Full update to follow.

G M Police ‏@gmpolice 11m11 minutes ago
Bomb disposal experts carried out controlled explosion at Old Trafford on what is described as incredibly lifelike explosive device...

Just Alf
15-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Would expect heightened security next week at Hampden.
Yeah... my daughter's just asked if that could happen up here :-(

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

silverhibee
15-05-2016, 05:23 PM
What's a life like device? A shop window dummy with a bomb attached?

Sorry, a life like explosive device.

Michael
15-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Sorry, a life like explosive device.

But what is that? An explosive device disguised as an every day object?

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 05:27 PM
As I thought it wasn't viable so false alarm,better to be safe than sorry though.

Since90+2
15-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Confirmation from GMP that the the device was extremely lifelike but not viable. So in other words it's a hoax.

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 05:29 PM

Not necessarily no, a combination of objects that could be considered components but turn out to be harmless and unintentional sometimes is the case.

Bristolhibby
15-05-2016, 06:29 PM

No, a device that looks exactly like a bomb, but did not contain any explosives.

Just speculating, but could this have been a dummy run to test security?

If so, it got in, but subsequently got found. Whether that would have been enough time with a real device, we'll never know.

J

TheReg!
15-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Dummy run from dissident PIRA imho.

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Deploy your boys ;-)

TheReg!
15-05-2016, 06:53 PM
No chance, hopefully that ship sailed a long time ago.

Hibernia&Alba
15-05-2016, 07:02 PM
I saw the Headline on the Sky Sports Website, 'Bomb Scare At Old Trafford', and thought they meant Marcus Rojo.

gorgie_harp
15-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Pish!

Scouse Hibee
15-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Pish!

A possibility......no?

TheReg!
15-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Why is it pish?? The threat has never gone away, it's also not in the style of IS. Dissidents are always planning and preparing to carry out attacks on main land UK, just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening, Also, in the news only 2-3 days ago the threat level has gone up by the threat of such people, so tell me again why is it pish👍🏻

johnbc70
15-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Wonder if linked to the terrorist attack dry run at the Trafford Centre last week. The police were criticised, wrongly I feel, because the 'mock' terrorist was a Muslim shouting Allah Akbar.

Pretty Boy
15-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Given Man Utd draw a huge support from across both communities in Northern Ireland would Old Trafford not be a strange target for dissident Republicans?

TheReg!
15-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Given Man Utd draw a huge support from across both communities in Northern Ireland would Old Trafford not be a strange target for dissident Republicans?

Don't let that fool you, they carry out punishment shootings and take out their own all the time.
It's not a viable device but it's a way to test response from the police and security services.

Pete
15-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Wonder if linked to the terrorist attack dry run at the Trafford Centre last week. The police were criticised, wrongly I feel, because the 'mock' terrorist was a Muslim shouting Allah Akbar.

Hopefully it was this.

What I hope it wasn't is a dummy run by real terrorists...and I don't mean the ones who get P.O'Neill to call in advance.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2016, 07:28 PM

I highly doubt it would be part of a staged terrorist attack when they've gone and cancelled the game.

johnbc70
15-05-2016, 07:41 PM
I highly doubt it would be part of a staged terrorist attack when they've gone and cancelled the game.

Sorry I was not clear - did not mean it was staged by the Police but someone trying to get revenge as the Manchester Police at the Trafford Centre had a muslim play the role of the terrorist. So what I meant was someone was trying to get revenge for that by planting this dummy bomb.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Sorry I was not clear - did not mean it was staged by the Police but someone trying to get revenge as the Manchester Police at the Trafford Centre had a muslim play the role of the terrorist. So what I meant was someone was trying to get revenge for that by planting this dummy bomb.

Ahh right I see. :aok:

JFK-1
15-05-2016, 07:45 PM
You would imagine that in this day of CCTV coverage that right now they're poring over the footage from every camera around the spot this device was found. One possibility is that it was just some total moron who thought it would be a scream to tape a phone to some pipes to instigate this mass disruption and obviously another if it's confirmed that it was a non viable device is that it was simply an exercise to see how long it would take for the device to be located.

Is the stadium more or less filled before the device is located which I think it was to a large extent then how long after that time did it take to locate it? As for culprits if it wasn't just some complete moron dissident republicans are highly unlikely especially so at Man U and at any stadium in general. The overall historical record of republican terrorism isn't one of mass murder in such a location just for the sake of it because that would gather no sympathy at all.

The Islamic brand on the other hand does have a history of mass murder for the sake of it with a body count as high as possible being a major objective. You wont ever hear of them sending any warnings and the chances are a stadium incident is just a matter of where and when.

TheReg!
15-05-2016, 07:56 PM
You would imagine that in this day of CCTV coverage that right now they're poring over the footage from every camera around the spot this device was found. One possibility is that it was just some total moron who thought it would be a scream to tape a phone to some pipes to instigate this mass disruption and obviously another if it's confirmed that it was a non viable device is that it was simply an exercise to see how long it would take for the device to be located.

Is the stadium more or less filled before the device is located which I think it was to a large extent then how long after that time did it take to locate it? As for culprits if it wasn't just some complete moron dissident republicans are highly unlikely especially so at Man U and at any stadium in general. The overall historical record of republican terrorism isn't one of mass murder in such a location just for the sake of it because that would gather no sympathy at all.

The Islamic brand on the other hand does have a history of mass murder for the sake of it with a body count as high as possible being a major objective. You wont ever hear of them sending any warnings and the chances are a stadium incident is just a matter of where and when.

Can't see it being Islamic terrorism, it's not their way, they would rather just carry out the attack instead of a hoax. It could be NIRA introducing themselves to main land UK, they've done a few low level things in NI but are now wanting to get over to England. I'm sure we'll find out in due course.

Renfrew_Hibby
15-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Was it just not announced the the threat level regards Irish terrorism has just been raised? Sure I heard that on the radio.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Pish!

But that was my first thought as well after the recent media warnings, including a piece this very morning on the Andrew Marr Show. So maybe other posters are not as well informed as you are?

DH1875
15-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Was it just not announced the the threat level regards Irish terrorism has just been raised? Sure I heard that on the radio.

Yeah it's been raised but I honestly can't see them planting a bomb in a football stadium, especially Man Utds.

silverhibee
15-05-2016, 08:45 PM
And we play the Rangers next week. Worrying.

BoomtownHibees
15-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Yeah it's been raised but I honestly can't see them planting a bomb in a football stadium, especially Man Utds.

Why not?

Allant1981
15-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Apparently it was left during the week after an exercise

Haymaker
15-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Why not?

Going to guess that it has something to do with the large Irish support for man utd?

stoneyburn hibs
15-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Apparently it was left during the week after an exercise

Red face for someone. Better to be safe though.

BoomtownHibees
15-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Going to guess that it has something to do with the large Irish support for man utd?

It was more the point about not doing it in a stadium I was querying

TheReg!
15-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Who ever the private company is that left it there should be sacked from further training exercises, probably G4.

hibee1875
15-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Anyone think this is just a cover story to reduce panic? Surely no one can be that stupid to leave a fake bomb lying about

TamHibs
15-05-2016, 09:35 PM
I was there today (just home in fact) and regardless if it was a dummy test or a real threat, I hope to never ever be in that situation again. Incredibly scary.

In the stadium from 1.45pm, evacuated about 2.20pm, game called off around 2.30-2.45pm

Our supporters bus didn't turn up until 4.45pm......

lugz
15-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Anyone think this is just a cover story to reduce panic? Surely no one can be that stupid to leave a fake bomb lying about

Nah someone was just that bloody stupid.

SunshineOnLeith
15-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Imagine being the guy who left it in the bogs, would you even bother to turn up for work tomorrow?

Carheenlea
15-05-2016, 09:40 PM
How we laughed on Friday night when my mate marched unchallenged into the Falkirk Stadium with a holdall, after watching fellow fans being patted down by security at the turnstiles. In reality, it isn't really a laughing matter in an age of terrorist threat.

cabbageandribs1875
15-05-2016, 11:24 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36297390

Police said the item had "accidentally" been left by a private company after a training exercise on Wednesday.

It is estimated this gesture will cost United around £3m.

Greater Manchester's Mayor and Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Lloyd called the situation "unacceptable" and wants an "urgent" inquiry to discover "how this happened, why it happened and who will be held accountable".

someone', somewhere, is going to be named as an incompetent grade A clown me thinks, and a lot of embarrassment for his employer

Speedy
16-05-2016, 06:45 AM

Police said the item had "accidentally" been left by a private company after a training exercise on Wednesday.

Greater Manchester's Mayor and Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Lloyd called the situation "unacceptable" and wants an "urgent" inquiry to discover "how this happened, why it happened and who will be held accountable".

someone', somewhere, is going to be named as an incompetent grade A clown me thinks, and a lot of embarrassment for his employer

Could also cost me my fantasy football league if Smalling or De Get get rested for the cup final...:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
16-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Someone made a mistake and there are calls for an inquiry? What do they hope to find out in this inquiry?

--------
16-05-2016, 08:11 AM

You think? :rolleyes:

Just a thought - how often over the years have games gone ahead at ER with a bomb-scare in the stadium?

Usually in the Hibernian goal .....

Since90+2
16-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Given the result of this error was to evacuate a stadium of 80,000 people (which in itself could have caused an issue if any panic had set in) , call in hundreds of Police and take them away from other policing duties and draft in the bomb squad from the British Army I think its natural that some form of inquiry will take place.

Peevemor
16-05-2016, 08:38 AM

If this is the case then it's Man Utd's own fault - if they rent out parts of the stadium during the week they should check that nothing's left behind afterward.

SunshineOnLeith
16-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Someone made a mistake and there are calls for an inquiry? What do they hope to find out in this inquiry?

I'd imagine 'why don't we count our fake bombs out, and then count them back in again?' will be pretty high on the list.

Jones28
16-05-2016, 12:39 PM

They need someone to point a finger at

pacoluna
16-05-2016, 02:47 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3592372/This-idiot-s-right-kicking-Fury-Old-Trafford-bungling-security-firm-left-fake-bomb-toilets-named-Manchester-United-face-3million-bill-replay-game-scrapped.html
His identity has been released :greengrin