PDA

View Full Version : "we were the better team"

familyman
15-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Can anyone explain that regular quote to me,I thought the team that scored more were the better team!!!
This is not only a sport but a business, the business of winning....
When that quote is used as often as we have seen it this season both in league and Hampden(also last season) ,
it misses the point!!!
Why not just say we did not do our job(i.e.defend and score goals) ,that at least would be honest however frustrating.
Let us start next year by not saying such meaningless things as Hit the Ground Running..yet again!
Let the actions on the park do the talking for once.

munchar
15-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Can anyone explain that regular quote to me,I thought the team that scored more were the better team!!!
This is not only a sport but a business, the business of winning....
When that quote is used as often as we have seen it this season both in league and Hampden(also last season) ,
it misses the point!!!
Why not just say we did not do our job(i.e.defend and score goals) ,that at least would be honest however frustrating.
Let us start next year by not saying such meaningless things as Hit the Ground Running..yet again!
Let the actions on the park do the talking for once.

Agreed mate 👍
Everyone wants to "get of to a good start", but we could easily play Morton away, Falkirk home, Raith away first 3. Will we get 9 points? I doubt it.
Unless we realise we need to hit teams early & hard, & don't take the foot of the gas, we will still face the same problems next season.
Yes, possession wise we are dominating, but it's goals (and not conceding soft goals) that win games.
We have a serious problem of getting in front, then trying to "see the game out". Until that mindset changes, we are never going to comfortably beat teams, which we should be doing in this league.

cabbageandribs1875
15-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Agreed mate 
Everyone wants to "get of to a good start", but we could easily play Alloa away, Falkirk home, Raith away first 3. Will we get 9 points? I doubt it.
Unless we realise we need to hit teams early & hard, & don't take the foot of the gas, we will still face the same problems next season.
Yes, possession wise we are dominating, but it's goals (and not conceding soft goals) that win games.
We have a serious problem of getting in front, then trying to "see the game out". Until that mindset changes, we are never going to comfortably beat teams, which we should be doing in this league.

i'l bet a crisp £50 note that we won't be playing any league games against Alloa next season

maybe the next again season :(

munchar
15-05-2016, 12:54 PM
i'l bet a crisp £50 note that we won't be playing any league games against Alloa next season

maybe the next again season :(

Lol edited now mate.
Does that mean Alloa will be coming up, or we are going down? 😢

Lancs Harp
15-05-2016, 12:54 PM
"The best team always wins, the rest is just a rumour" - The late Jimmy Sirrel.

If you are of the opinion that we totally dominate games but fail to win them and on a regular basis, then something is clearly wrong and needs correcting. something we have failed to do certainly in the second half of the season

cabbageandribs1875
15-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Lol edited now mate.
Does that mean Alloa will be coming up, or we are going down? 

it's hibs, anything can happen :whistle:

HibsNutter
15-05-2016, 12:57 PM
We are a better team than Falkirk, if you can't derive that from the last two games then I don't know what will convince you. They have simply been more efficient than us.

They have also had a fair amount of good fortune on their side, undeniably.

munchar
15-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Maybe Edinburgh City next season then! 😂

Smartie
15-05-2016, 12:59 PM
I agree with your first point and totally disagree with your second.

Re the first point - I have no sympathy for managers/ fans/ players who think that because you dominate possession or create more chances you somehow "deserve" more out of a game. Ok, you can be robbed by a horrific refereeing decision but basically if you defend well and take your chances when they come, you "deserve" to win games.

I disagree with what you say about hitting the ground running. Hearts and Rangers have shown the power of a good start the past 2 seasons. If you are strong relative to your competitors I think it is important to send out a message that you are bigger, stronger, tougher and to be feared instead of being a limp, big fish that is there for the taking. Hibs have started seasons badly for as long as I can remember and it really pisses me off. Stubbs has continued this tradition - it is often 10-12 games into the season before we look like a team, we've given ourselves too much to do to get back into it and we've effectively lost the league already. Moyes' teams used to start badly and get stronger and I wonder if something has brushed off on Stubbs along the way. We lost out on 2nd place by a couple of goals - without Rangers in the league that might be missing out on the Championship. We had 3 points from a narrow home win against Morton to show for our first 3 games this season, we lost at f****** Dumbarton and lost a huge game at Ibrox - nowhere near good enough imo. You need to be ready for the big games from day one, champions don't piss about the way we do.

Until we stop tolerating getting a team together sometime in September/ October we're always going to struggle. You can bet your boots that Ray McKinnon is preparing a team RIGHT NOW that is going to "hit the ground running".

munchar
15-05-2016, 01:01 PM
We are a better team than Falkirk, if you can't derive that from the last two games then I don't know what will convince you. They have simply been more efficient than us.

What on Fridays performance says we are the better team, or over the 2 legs for that matter?
Of the 5 goals we lost, the first was a fluke, the rest were errors. But when given the opportunity, Falkirk were ruthless with their finishing. Do errors count as bad luck, or just that certain players aren't good enough?

Smartie
15-05-2016, 01:01 PM

You can get lucky once. They gained far too many points against us over the past 2 seasons (even in the past 3 games) from games where we've come away thinking we're the better side for me to draw any conclusion other than that they are a better team than us.

HibsNutter
15-05-2016, 01:02 PM
What on Fridays performance says we are the better team, or over the 2 legs for that matter?
Of the 5 goals we lost, the first was a fluke, the rest were errors. But when given the opportunity, Falkirk were ruthless with their finishing. Do errors count as bad luck, or just that certain players aren't good enough?

Look for the word 'efficient' in my previous post.

munchar
15-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Look for the word 'efficient' in my previous post.

Being "simply more efficient", means they managed the game/tie better than us does it not? Meaning over the 2 games, they were the better team!

flash
15-05-2016, 01:23 PM
You can get lucky once. They gained far too many points against us over the past 2 seasons (even in the past 3 games) from games where we've come away thinking we're the better side for me to draw any conclusion other than that they are a better team than us.

What set of results do you base that on?

DH1875
15-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Do you honestly think we were the much better team on Friday night :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2016, 01:28 PM
We were the better team is the straw which is clutched when an attempt is made to justify failure.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 01:33 PM
What set of results do you base that on?

I can't remember all of the results against them over the past 2 seasons to be fair, but…..

Friday was so predictable it was unbelievable. We were "By far the better team" but they soaked up the pressure, put the ball in the box a few times (which they know is our achilles heel) and they beat us.

We had put ourselves in a brilliant position on Tuesday. But they sling a ball into the box, they get their goal and put themselves in a good position for the second leg.

Before that we were 2-0 up against 10 men. They chuck a couple of balls into the box (that Houston has been saying for months is our weakness) get their goals and secure a massive result.

Prior to that a few scabby draws and wins by the odd goal in tight games.

Last season I can only really remember 3 games. The cup semi we come away with our better team pish having been beaten again in a big game and I seem to remember we threw away a 2 goal lead at ER to draw 3-3 in January or so.

Strangely enough, the happiest I've ben with a Hibs performance in recent years was when we lost 1-0 at ER to them at the start of last season. I thought we were brilliant that day but guess what? We didn't take our chances, they scored from a set-piece and we'd lost at home. At that point I thought that we'd get the defending and chance taking sorted out and we'd go on to bigger and better things and I was delighted that we'd played well. Unfortunately that game has gone on to be the story of our past 2 seasons, against Falkirk and in general instead of being a one-off.

As I say, a one-off game you can put these things down to luck but this is the pattern of the past 2 seasons. They are a better side.