PDA

View Full Version : Malonga

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Nice to see the big man still looks out for us.

@DomsMalonga: Sad news last night for my old teammates and scottish football.... Fans/History/Organization; Hibs is not a championship team#My Opinion

SlickShoes
14-05-2016, 04:57 PM
I liked him, it was a real shame that he took pelters for "not running fast enough" and "not caring".

Thanks for the goals Dom!

Bob1875
14-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Let's not pretend that if he was still here things would have been different.

IberianHibernian
14-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Let's not pretend that if he was still here things would have been different. Might not have got us many more points but would certainly have entertained fans . And only one more point would have meant avoiding one round of playoffs .

Steve-O
14-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Might not have got us many more points but would certainly have entertained fans . And only one more point would have meant avoiding one round of playoffs .

We still would've played Falkirk and probably lost. Still, I'd have preferred him to Stokes in the end. Admittedly I was saying the opposite when Stokes signed!

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-05-2016, 05:03 PM

And equally let's not pretend that he didn't want to leave and was really forced out.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2016, 05:04 PM
I miss Dom.

A real class act in his time with us. Welcone back in Leith anytime as far as I'm concerned.

Sir David Gray
14-05-2016, 05:04 PM
We are definitely missing something up front without him.

Alfred E Newman
14-05-2016, 05:07 PM
I was no fan of Malonga but Stokes has been no better and arguably brought less to the team.

IberianHibernian
14-05-2016, 05:15 PM
I was no fan of Malonga but Stokes has been no better and arguably brought less to the team.Don`t think regretting Malonga leaving means we didn`t want Stokes . Ideally we`d have had both from the start of the season till the end . In the winter window there were rumours of interest in Cummings but probably no firm offers and unless it had been ridiculous money club would`ve been hammered for lack of ambition selling mid season etc . I remember thinking it wouldn`t have been too bad a thing especially if money had been reinvested in team . Since then Cummings has done very little , Stokes hasn`t fulfilled expectations though hasn`t been a disaster either but we didn`t have many alternatives with Keatings and Dagnell only given limited time .

kev1875
14-05-2016, 05:22 PM

I suggest you look at our form since he left.

NorthNorfolkHFC
14-05-2016, 05:42 PM
He could hold the ball and scored a lot more than Stokes.

He averaged a goal every other game. Stokes can't buy a goal and plays like a midfielder. It's no surprise we can't score.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

hibsbollah
14-05-2016, 05:43 PM
A class act on the pitch and a gent off it. I wish Stubbs could have found a way of building a style of play around him as a withdrawn striker behind a target man.

He didn't care about The Rangers.:aok:

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Let's not pretend that if he was still here things would have been different.They would have been different, maybe for the better maybe not but they obviously would have been different.

Hibee Mac
14-05-2016, 05:46 PM
He was one of those players I really looked forward to watching. You always knew he could pull a bit of magic out the bag too.

I'm in no way saying Malonga would have single handedly gotten us up, but his contribution to the team was more than just goals which I feel is overlooked at times.

The Modfather
14-05-2016, 05:58 PM
We didn't score enough goals as a team with Malonga, just as we haven't post Malonga.

Instead of Stokes v Malonga hypotheticals, we should wonder how we would have got on with signing some genuine creativity in January. Not asking Gray & Stevenson to be our main attackng outlets, with a midfield that rarely gets into the box.

stantonhibby
14-05-2016, 05:59 PM
He could hold the ball and scored a lot more than Stokes.

He averaged a goal every other game. Stokes can't buy a goal and plays like a midfielder. It's no surprise we can't score.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Had he not scored only 6 goal this season before he left?

Andy74
14-05-2016, 06:31 PM

The team played better with him in it though. Stats pre Jan are much better than after it.

NikGunnarsson
14-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Don't know what it was about the guy but he was just a cult hero, could just pull moments of magic when he wanted to and absolutely strolled every game. Also loved how he kept going through the ***** he got off all the people who clearly dont know football!
"I do not care about ze Ranjurs"

tamig
14-05-2016, 06:42 PM

I think things would have been very different. The single biggest mistake made in the January window. No doubt.

stantonhibby
14-05-2016, 06:58 PM
The team played better with him in it though. Stats pre Jan are much better than after it.

Don't disagree and I would rather he had stayed, my point was to the poster who said he had scored a goal every other game.

Trainor
14-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Bad mistake letting him go!

LaMotta
14-05-2016, 07:12 PM

Look at his overall stats in his time at Hibs. Last season he was our most prolific striker.

jacomo
14-05-2016, 07:55 PM

:agree:

We've missed him badly.

It's beyond reasonable doubt, surely?

Hibeesmad
14-05-2016, 07:57 PM
We created more chances and scored more goals whenever Malonga played. He should be playing the number 10 position in this team right now

OsloHibs
14-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Malonga wanted to go back to Italy. If someone wants to go for family reasons- you can't stop them. Alan knew it, he done the same with celtic didn't he.

LaMotta
14-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Malonga wanted to go back to Italy. If someone wants to go for family reasons- you can't stop them. Alan knew it, he done the same with celtic didn't he.

I think Malonga threw a wee strop after Dagnall and Keatings were preferred to him at ER in early February which led to his exit. I dont blame him if he did.

Lets be honest Stubbs got it wrong about Malonga and probably could have persuaded him to stay.

portycabbage
14-05-2016, 08:16 PM

He didn't start enough games for me this season, I would have had him start every week. Plus he could keep the ball and link play unlike stokes. We really should have signed a proper target man after farid got injured nearly 2 years ago, or at least when malonga left (not that he was ever a target man).

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Bad mistake letting him go!

Even though he wanted to leave and asked to do so?

LaMotta
14-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Even though he wanted to leave and asked to do so?

Did he really really want to go though? Or did he just not feel wanted enough?

Deansy
14-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Malonga wouldn't have missed the sitter that Cummings missed V Raith - that would've meant 2nd instead of 3rd !

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Malonga, Malonga
is with us no longer.
Without him it's clear
we're just not as strong-a!

I'll get my hat:offski:

superfurryhibby
14-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Can anyone say how many games he's started in Italy and how many goals he's scored ?

I think he scored 15 in 45 in Scotland, not great in The second tier, but I believe that it's widely understood there's more to a strikers game than just the goals?

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Can anyone say how many games he's started in Italy and how many goals he's scored ?

I think he scored 15 in 45 in Scotland, not great in The second tier, but I believe that it's widely understood there's more to a strikers game than just the goals?He scored 16 in his first season alone

jacomo
14-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Malonga wouldn't have missed the sitter that Cummings missed V Raith - that would've meant 2nd instead of 3rd !

Tbf, Malonga missed a few sitters himself.

Anyhow he was playing alongside JC, not instead of him!

Nicho87
14-05-2016, 11:15 PM
Malonga and keatings would have done me for next season

14-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Dom........You're a good lad and wish you well going forward.
Miss you bad in a Hibs shirt the second half of his season.

Stevie Reid
14-05-2016, 11:28 PM

I think he scored 15 in 45 in Scotland, not great in The second tier, but I believe that it's widely understood there's more to a strikers game than just the goals?

Malonga scored 22 in 42 starts for us, including a good few against Premier teams.

B.H.F.C
14-05-2016, 11:32 PM

Like his open goal at Livi?

macd123
14-05-2016, 11:34 PM

If you play a diamond with no wingers you need a striker with pace. Dom offered that, Stokes doesn't.

heretoday
14-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Can we date our decline to the release of Malonga?

Maybe not but I'd sooner have him than Stokes.

J-C
15-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Stubbs biggest mistake was allowing Malonga to leave, we all know it was for family reasons but you'd have thought he could've persuaded him to stay and see out his contract. I was not one of those wanting Stokes back as I remember exactly what he was like the last time he was here, just strange that our wee decline started pretty much soon after he arrived, not saying it's Stokes fault, just a coincidence like.

superfurryhibby
15-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Malonga scored 22 in 42 starts for us, including a good few against Premier teams.

Aye, my memory isn't the most accurate!

Soccer base stats agree with the above, however it was 6 from 23 games this season.

Football isn't science. Stubbs took a gamble and it didn't give the dividend he anticipated. Dominique was a decent player, I mostly liked his style, but I wasn't gutted to see him go. He would have been an option in the striking mix and would undoubtedly have contributed, had he stayed, but he wanted to leave/ was shown the door and invited to depart. Cest la vie.

StevieH
15-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Stubbs biggest mistake was allowing Malonga to leave, we all know it was for family reasons but you'd have thought he could've persuaded him to stay and see out his contract. I was not one of those wanting Stokes back as I remember exactly what he was like the last time he was here, just strange that our wee decline started pretty much soon after he arrived, not saying it's Stokes fault, just a coincidence like.

Am now starting to get over the major disappointment of the 2 Falkirk games, and thinking about the season. I do think it's as much about the players we have not been able to use through injury, as much as players we have used - we have been without Farid and Charmichael virtually all season - both would have given us a plan b (particularly Farid's physical presence and ability in the air), add long absence through injury for McGeouch, Fyvie, Fontaine, Hanlon, Gray, Bartley and I think we have suffered more than most on the injury front. Is this down to our training regime or taking a Fisk with signings - good players that we might not have been able to sign if they did not have a question over their fitness?
Had Farid been fully fit and the others only out for a short period I think we would have been promoted.

SlickShoes
15-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Mcgeouch is done again though, he's a lost cause sadly. We lost 3 of our 5 goals against Falkirk when he wasn't on the pitch, we are vastly better with him and give the ball away much less, we also create better chances when he is around.

Sadly he is injured again and maybe he can come back pre season for a few games before pulling up injured again.

edwards
15-05-2016, 08:24 AM

They just might have been as Dagnall was a complete waste of a wage not one goal must be Stubbs worst signing, Dom could change a game that was the difference.

hfcok
15-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Its no coincidence,that it went downhill when Stokes came,our style of play changed when he came in the team,and im sure a wee bit of unrest as well.
Dom could change the game,his hold up play brought the others in,and was perfect foil for Cummings.

sixtwo
15-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Things would have been better if he had stayed. Would have given us more options. No coincidence our slump in form came after he left. He had the skill to change a game. He had a touch of class in the final third that we have missed this year.

Alex Trager
15-05-2016, 08:47 AM
I'd say it's clear that our decline started when Dom left.

His attitude may well have been questioned but when you really consider his attitude he was a winner.
He brought that to the team along with other qualities

Marco G
15-05-2016, 09:35 AM

His attitude may well have been questioned but when you really consider his attitude he was a winner.
He brought that to the team along with other qualities I would say that Hibs have had a slump around the second part of the season almost every year for the last decade. Can't be bothered to check if that's true! but it seems like that to me.

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 10:26 AM
I would say that Hibs have had a slump around the second part of the season almost every year for the last decade. Can't be bothered to check if that's true! but it seems like that to me.

I reckon your right about slumps in the second half of the season. The year we finished 3rd under Mcleish we where in the mix for the championship then had a poor second half of the season. Twice under Mobray we tailed of in the second half of the season although finished 3rd & 4th. Also under Hughes we had a great first half of the season when we finished 4th.

Steve-O
15-05-2016, 10:49 AM
I would say that Hibs have had a slump around the second part of the season almost every year for the last decade. Can't be bothered to check if that's true! but it seems like that to me.

I can't EVER recall Hibs finishing a season well and I can remember from about 88/89 onwards.

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 10:58 AM

He brought that to the team along with other qualities

It was a few weeks after he left. It actually coincides more with when Fyvie and McGeough got injured than it does with Malonga leaving.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 11:03 AM
I reckon your right about slumps in the second half of the season. The year we finished 3rd under Mcleish we where in the mix for the championship then had a poor second half of the season. Twice under Mobray we tailed of in the second half of the season although finished 3rd & 4th. Also under Hughes we had a great first half of the season when we finished 4th.

I reckon that more often than not players who have performed well in the first half of the season get ideas above their station, start playing silly buggers re new contracts and fail to perform to anything like the same standard that they did before.

Hanlon and Cummings to name 2 are players who have probably been waiting to see what league we're in next season before deciding whether or not they're committed to us. McLeish's good team was crippled by the same problem, Stokes was v.important to Yogi's team and we all know what kind of stuff was going on with the likes of Brown and Thomson under Mowbray/ Collins.

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 02:00 PM

It's clear that this was the same time that Feruz left. Maybe this was the factor?

matty_f
15-05-2016, 02:03 PM
It's clear that this was the same time that Feruz left. Maybe this was the factor?

The only conclusion you could come to, to be fair. :agree:

stantonhibby
15-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Either him or Anier

Alex Trager
15-05-2016, 02:09 PM

Oh absolutely.

Did I not mention that earlier?

tamig
15-05-2016, 04:33 PM

Did we not finish last season strongly?

jacomo
15-05-2016, 07:14 PM
It was a few weeks after he left. It actually coincides more with when Fyvie and McGeough got injured than it does with Malonga leaving.

I'll give you that.

Doesn't change the fact that we gambled in January by swapping strikers in and out of the squad. The gamble failed. Well, so far it has!

Aldo
15-05-2016, 07:21 PM
I'll give you that. Doesn't change the fact that we gambled in January by swapping strikers in and out of the squad. The gamble failed. Well, so far it has!

Dom wasn't happy though and wanted to return to Italy with his family.

Another player who when he left folk actually realised what a good player he was and what he brought to team.

Hibby 2005
15-05-2016, 07:22 PM
I've said to a few people that Rangers would never have let Malonga go mid-season. I don't care what the reasons were, it was sheer stupidity.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 07:25 PM
I've said to a few people that Rangers would never have let Malonga go mid-season. I don't care what the reasons were, it was sheer stupidity.

I agree.

It was complacent, the kind of complacency that imo Stubbs reeks of.

PatHead
15-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Its no coincidence,that it went downhill when Stokes came,our style of play changed when he came in the team,and im sure a wee bit of unrest as well.

Dom could change the game,his hold up play brought the others in,and was perfect foil for Cummings.

The collapse started when we started to play every midweek. Dom wanted away. Much as I loved him he was frustrating, if he couldn't be bothered he just didn't get involved.

JimBHibees
15-05-2016, 08:56 PM

You are of course guessing he could have persuaded him to stay.

J-C
15-05-2016, 09:04 PM
You are of course guessing he could have persuaded him to stay.

Of course I am, I would've assumed Stubbs tried everything to tempt him to stay, just a pity he wasn't more persuasive. :greengrin

Andy74
15-05-2016, 10:37 PM
The collapse started when we started to play every midweek. Dom wanted away. Much as I loved him he was frustrating, if he couldn't be bothered he just didn't get involved.

Which I keep seeing get repeated but I didn't ever witness myself. He was more consistent than most. It's a pretty lazy label to give him.

IberianHibernian
15-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Not got the stats but Dom didn`t seem to start a lot of games last autumn anyway . Maybe because Stubbs knew he was leaving so didn`t want him to take regular place in team . If not , then may have been another reason why he wanted to leave . Anyway too late to change things so just have to hope our scouts find someone with similar talent for next season since whatever people say about just needing to grind out results , we also want entetainers .

polarbear
15-05-2016, 11:34 PM
I liked him although he was quite languid at times.
I have mostly good memories of him with us.
Was a little sad when he left.