PDA

View Full Version : 'Only Hibs....', but is it?

Hibernia&Alba
14-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Last kick of the tie last night; last kick of the tie against Hamilton in 2014; beaten at the death in the League Cup final. So many friends have said 'only Hibs could do that' since last night. It's true we must be one of the hardest teams to support - whatever can go wrong will go wrong - and few clubs can match us for underachievement. Perhaps Newcastle would give us a run for our money; Spurs are good at making a mess of everything, too. Man City before the oil money started pouring in were masters of disaster. When we think we've suffered as much as we possibly can, they go one better, or should I say worse. Which other clubs make a habit of making the lives of their support a misery?

I think I'm still numb from last night and it hasn't yet sunk in. It was so unreal yet all so predictable in hindsight. Worst thing is I was working today and the Jambos were happier than I've ever seen them. It was hell. Another year of the Championship, **** me. :no way:

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2016, 08:53 PM
I know where you're coming from but always remember that the pain we are feeling is nothing compared to the pain the Jambos still feel from Dens Park in May 1986.
They jambottled it big. BIG TIME!! and no team, anywhere, any time before or since has bottled it to that degree. The championship was theirs. It was in their hands. In their grip...and it fell agonisingly from that grip in 7 painful minutes...7 excruciatingly painful minutes now etched-into-their-collective-jambo-memories for eternity!
We will never experience anything like it.

bookert
14-05-2016, 09:18 PM
I know where you're coming from but always remember that the pain we are feeling is nothing compared to the pain the Jambos still feel from Dens Park in May 1986.
They jambottled it big. BIG TIME!! and no team, anywhere, any time before or since has bottled it to that degree. The championship was theirs. It was in their hands. In their grip...and it fell agonisingly from that grip in 7 painful minutes...7 excruciatingly painful minutes now etched-into-their-collective-jambo-memories for eternity!

I struggle with this, I don't care historically what happened to hearts, yeah it was funny at the time, but that was 30 years ago

matty_f
14-05-2016, 09:23 PM
I struggle with this, I don't care historically what happened to hearts, yeah it was funny at the time, but that was 30 years ago

Watch a couple of the YouTube videos and re-live the hilarity in that case. Greeting yam tramps will always, always be funny.

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2016, 09:24 PM

I do care historically what happened to Hearts, as they take great pleasure at every opportunity to belittle us and to gloat at our failings. Right now, they are absolutely delirious with joy at our latest capitulation. Reminding the Yams looking in and those disguised as Hibbies here on .NET about their own failings is something I relish doing and will continue to do.
Oh yes, what you considered funny at the time and no longer consider funny, is still side-splittingly funny to a great many of us even now in 2016.
Long may they be reminded!!:flag:

Just Jimmy
14-05-2016, 11:41 PM
My gaffer is a jambo. He's a genuinely decent bloke both to work with and as a football fan. He's moved heaven and earth to get me all the playoffs dates and the final off so I can go and he swapped shifts last night so I could see the game. I was dreading going in tonight on back shift with him because we still rip the pish out each other. Tbf he had a wee pop and then said I wouldn't worry about it mate, I've still got my league winners 86 flag.

Perspective. 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pete
15-05-2016, 12:05 AM

I hear all these Jambos telling me how embarrassed, humiliated and ashamed I am when I think of the 2012 cup final. To be honest nothing can be further from the truth and it's quite funny how insistent they are and how they accuse me of denial.

I think it's the same with 1986 for them in a way. They blew it big time in the most tragic circumstances but we're quite good at dealing with bad experiences and memories, especially in something as trivial as a sporting occasion.

1986 is hilarious to us and 2012 is glorious for them but we fall into the trap of thinking that the "loser" in these situations feels negative emotions that are the same intensity of the positive ones felt by the "victors".

Saying that, it obviously effects them in some way as this "hibs it" thing is definitely a deflection tactic as its associated with failure and bottling, negative traits that 1986 saddled them with. Failure, fair enough and if you look from the outside our antics have been pretty spectacular. Bottling? Not a chance and their attempts to lump that in with it is simply evidence of their insecurities. They shout far too loud about it and it goes beyond normal banter between local rivals.

P.s. Who cares how much they actually care about it. 1986 is hilarious and is the gold standard when it comes to failure and bottling it. Never feel guilty taking the mickey.:thumbsup:

Hi Heid Yin
15-05-2016, 01:18 AM
I hear all these Jambos telling me how embarrassed, humiliated and ashamed I am when I think of the 2012 cup final. To be honest nothing can be further from the truth and it's quite funny how insistent they are and how they accuse me of denial.

I think it's the same with 1986 for them in a way. They blew it big time in the most tragic circumstances but we're quite good at dealing with bad experiences and memories, especially in something as trivial as a sporting occasion.

1986 is hilarious to us and 2012 is glorious for them but we fall into the trap of thinking that the "loser" in these situations feels negative emotions that are the same intensity of the positive ones felt by the "victors".

Saying that, it obviously effects them in some way as this "hibs it" thing is definitely a deflection tactic as its associated with failure and bottling, negative traits that 1986 saddled them with. Failure, fair enough and if you look from the outside our antics have been pretty spectacular. Bottling? Not a chance and their attempts to lump that in with it is simply evidence of their insecurities. They shout far too loud about it and it goes beyond normal banter between local rivals.

P.s. Who cares how much they actually care about it. 1986 is hilarious and is the gold standard when it comes to failure and bottling it. Never feel guilty taking the mickey.:thumbsup:

:aok::top marks

SRHibs
15-05-2016, 03:38 AM

I think that 5-1 drubbing in the SC final vs Hearts, especially considering the narrative of the event, is as bad as if not worse than the above.

Pete
15-05-2016, 05:19 AM
I think that 5-1 drubbing in the SC final vs Hearts, especially considering the narrative of the event, is as bad as if not worse than the above.

:tee hee:

The ultimate bottle job will always be there. Sorry.

Only an extremely cynical hibs fan could think that way.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-05-2016, 07:41 AM
To out things into a little perspective re the Derbys Who'd be a Spurs fan? (Probably would have been worse if they'd played as frequently as we do)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/06/derbies-chelsea-tottenham-hearts-hibernian

lucky
15-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Most jambos I know wanted Hibs promoted. They love playing us. They are also desperate for us to lose the SC final. Football is about rivalries but you know your lucks out when Evertonians are texting you about being unlucky

northstandhibby
15-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Last kick of the tie last night; last kick of the tie against Hamilton in 2014; beaten at the death in the League Cup final. So many friends have said 'only Hibs could do that' since last night. It's true we must be one of the hardest teams to support - whatever can go wrong will go wrong - and few clubs can match us for underachievement. Perhaps Newcastle would give us a run for our money; Spurs are good at making a mess of everything, too. Man City before the oil money started pouring in were masters of disaster. When we think we've suffered as much as we possibly can, they go one better, or should I say worse. Which other clubs make a habit of making the lives of their support a misery?

I think I'm still numb from last night and it hasn't yet sunk in. It was so unreal yet all so predictable in hindsight. Worst thing is I was working today and the Jambos were happier than I've ever seen them. It was hell. Another year of the Championship, **** me. :no way:

Most Countries around the world have one two or sometimes three dominant clubs who win almost every trophy between them every year. It is seen as a novelty or a rare occurrence when smaller clubs in these leagues than the most dominant when they go on to win a trophy. The Hibs are no different to say Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc when they fail to win a cup or league.

Being in 2 cup finals in one season is an unbelievable achievement for a club like the Hi bees. All this bottling it and so on is just a wind up by the Jambos and their friends in the media. Every club out-with the constant dominants with the biggest budget will in the vast majority of fail to win Leagues or trophies. If the Hibs win the SC it will be a massive joyous outstanding achievement. The players we have to play in the final are capable with the full weeks rest of not only matching the current the rangers players but going on to beat them.

GGTTH

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 07:57 AM

Na, that was a really bad Hibs team.

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 08:00 AM

hearts have blown 3 league titles on the last day of the season, twice from winning positions.

eastcoasthibby
15-05-2016, 08:05 AM
1986 was horrific for them but we keep churning out significantly disappointing scenarios in cup finals, Europe, relegation, play offs, getting stuffed by very poor league teams, so maybe 86,still has a massive mock factor but we continue to give plenty ammunition to anyone who wants it, to have a go at us !!

Waxy
15-05-2016, 08:13 AM

Nowhere near.Its not even our worse result in the last few years.all the playoff defeats have been much worse and theyve felt alot worse.Actually getting to that cup final with such a rotten team was quite an achievement.still dunno how we did it.

northstandhibby
15-05-2016, 08:14 AM
1986 was horrific for them but we keep churning out significantly disappointing scenarios in cup finals, Europe, relegation, play offs, getting stuffed by very poor league teams, so maybe 86,still has a massive mock factor but we continue to give plenty ammunition to anyone who wants it, to have a go at us !!

Every club outwith the dominants with the huge budgets have disappointing games. It's just the Jambos with their friends in the media having a jibe at us. Has anyone else heard Dundee Utd being called bottlers for being relegated or Kilmarnock for being in the play offs or Raith or Aberdeen for their title challenge petering out?

The Jambos have had little excitement this season compared to our getting to 2 cup finals. They are desperate to have something no anything to spout their nonsense over.

GGTTH

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Nowhere near.Its not even our worse result in the last few years.all the playoff defeats have been much worse and theyve felt alot worse.Actually getting to that cup final with such a rotten team was quite an achievement.still dunno how we did it.

Spot on

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I think it's time we gave the 1986 thing a rest and concentrated on our own predicament. It's as if every disastrous result is supposedly softened by reference to that day in Dundee.
Yes, I enjoyed that day along with the rest of the Hibs support mainly because while they were challenging for the title we were absolutely dire as we have been for long periods since.
Since then there have been far more oppertunities for them to laugh at us as the club and fate have managed to manufacture seemingly endless ways of torturing the support.
Hopefully next week is going to be our day at long last but I would not be surprised in the least if yet another bizarre way of blowing it is looming.

northstandhibby
15-05-2016, 09:17 AM
I think it's time we gave the 1986 thing a rest and concentrated on our own predicament. It's as if every disastrous result is supposedly softened by reference to that day in Dundee.
Yes, I enjoyed that day along with the rest of the Hibs support mainly because while they were challenging for the title we were absolutely dire as we have been for long periods since.
Since then there have been far more oppertunities for them to laugh at us as the club and fate have managed to manufacture seemingly endless ways of torturing the support.
Hopefully next week is going to be our day at long last but I would not be surprised in the least if yet another bizarre way of blowing it is looming.

Not to forget they were in administration very recently and very nearly liquidated. They only lorded it over us because of the very dodgy many millions provided by the very dodgy Romanov. Hardly something to laugh about.

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Not to forget they were in administration very recently and very nearly liquidated. They only lorded it over us because of the very dodgy many millions provided by the very dodgy Romanov. Hardly something to laugh about.

Aye they really suffered for that . One year out the league and top three in the Premier. I think they will still find our predicament quite amusing.

Waxy
15-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Hopefully next week is going to be our day at long last but I would not be surprised in the least if yet another bizarre way of blowing it is looming.like us being 1-0 up in injury time and the ref equalizes with a 25yard volley? Think thats the only thing thats not happened yet.

Hi Heid Yin
15-05-2016, 11:46 AM

I do not refer to Dens Park to feel better about our latest capitulation, but I'll be damned if that Gorgie lot will not suffer in some way in-between their jibes and mocking.

The reference to that day at Dens Park is for the eyes and ears of the Jambos looking in and those undercover here on Hibs.net. Every bad result (ie Falkirk playoffs) recharges their mocking batteries and then we hear "Hibsed-it", "bottlers" etc etc. It's aimed at them, to bring them back down to earth and to the reality of ultimate bottle jobs carried out by their own team.

We Hibbies can simply ignore such posts if we choose. You choose to give it a rest. Fair play.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-05-2016, 02:30 PM
I think most non-glory-seeking football fans say 'it could only happen to us'. I hear a lot of Palace fans saying it at Selhurst but I'm quite sure none of them have seen anything like the suffering we have at Hibs.

While typing this I see that Spurs have gone a goal down and they must be the main candidates for an equivalent in the EPL - no matter what happens they always seem to be worse off than Arsenal.

Pete
15-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Laughing at your rivals is part of the game so to suggest not doing so at all is unrealistic and unnecessary.

I think we're all capable of laughing at 1986 and "concentrating on ourselves" at the same time. What makes you think you can't do both?

Actually, I think I will stop for a week or so. Not because I want to sulk and look at the floor but because I'm starting to get exited about our upcoming final. Not really got any time for any soul searching I'm afraid.

hibby6270
15-05-2016, 02:43 PM
like us being 1-0 up in injury time and the ref equalizes with a 25yard volley? Think thats the only thing thats not happened yet.

Hadn't thought of that scenario. Under the rules though, would it be a goal if it was deliberate? Seems there's debate now a days about what constitutes a deliberate hand ball, so would the ref taking a pot shot be deemed deliberate? Knowing our luck it would - for one day only!!!

The more likely thing to happen is same 25 yard volley from a Hun deflecting of the ref and going in. That would count and be in keeping with our luck of late.

Wonder what the odds are?:wink:

Waxy
15-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Hadn't thought of that scenario. Under the rules though, would it be a goal if it was deliberate? Seems there's debate now a days about what constitutes a deliberate hand ball, so would the ref taking a pot shot be deemed deliberate? Knowing our luck it would - for one day only!!!

The more likely thing to happen is same 25 yard volley from a Hun deflecting of the ref and going in. That would count and be in keeping with our luck of late.

Wonder what the odds are?:wink:Last minute Equalizer off the ref against any team 1000/1.Against Hibs 20/1.

judas
15-05-2016, 06:08 PM

I agree. Shef wed, Leeds, villa, Newcastle....Numerous clubs down south habitually self defeat.

Hibs are not unique. The worm will turn and we shall have our good times again.