PDA

View Full Version : Question Stubb's and his Defense

Scottie
14-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Stubbs was a top quality defender in his playing day's so why has he not been able to improve and sort out our inept defense throughout his two year appointment with the experience he has ?

Our lack of defending at set piece's and balls into our area in the last quarter of game's has been atrocious for the last two season's not just the last couple of month's.

Classic example last night he should have brought on Gunnerson when Falkirk made change's with half hour to go to. Everyone knew what Falkirk was going to do in the last half hour bombarding our area with high balls. Happened at the end of the first leg also. Why didn't he make the change ? Was it stubbornness or ineptitude ?

Why has Stubbs not managed to sort out our defense ? Can't get my head round it. :fuming:

One Day Soon
14-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Wait, we have a defence?

h185forever
14-05-2016, 01:31 PM
I think our defense has been scary since at least Mowbray , so Alan isn't alone in not fixing this.

Mowbray in my opinion got away with it because the midfield and attack masked the problem somewhat. I also expected Yogi to come in and fix it but he didn't

They seem unorganised in that no one seems entirely sure of their responsibility, continually being dragged out of position without the man next to them providing the necessary cover.

Poor clearances have cost us dearly this last two years, and I hate seeing any ball coming into or across our box.

That said if we scored half our missed chances it might not matter quite as much ..ala Mowbray

J-C
14-05-2016, 02:26 PM
The same could be said about Mowbray, top defender but crap at organising a defence, we always had to score loads of goals to win 2004 season goals for 64 against 57, 2005 season for 61 against 56, 2006 season for 56 against 46 and under Hughes in 2009 for 58 against 54.

So that's 3 defenders who as managers cannot organise a defence to save themselves. :confused:

ahibby
14-05-2016, 02:32 PM
The same could be said about Mowbray, top defender but crap at organising a defence, we always had to score loads of goals to win 2004 season goals for 64 against 57, 2005 season for 61 against 56, 2006 season for 56 against 46 and under Hughes in 2009 for 58 against 54.

So that's 3 defenders who as managers cannot organise a defence to save themselves. :confused:

But McLeish was a defender and his Hibs defence was one of the best in the SPL.

jonty
14-05-2016, 02:36 PM
This seasons problem has been lack of finishing. In most of the games I can recall we've had oodles (technical term) of shots - on target and off target.
So either the team is too shot happy, or the strikers cant get the ball in the back of the net. It'll be a mixture of both but in the last few games both stokes and cummings just cant seem to tuck away the easy balls. we had 16 shots and 4 on target last night. (according to the BBC). 1 of which was the penalty which makes the stats even worse.

Jones28
14-05-2016, 02:52 PM
How can a defence go from solid/best in the league to crumbling under the enormous pressure that a ****ing long throw seems to bring?!

Ronniekirk
14-05-2016, 03:59 PM
How can a defence go from solid/best in the league to crumbling under the enormous pressure that a ****ing long throw seems to bring?!

Defending the long throw ins was something we should of been practising Houston got into the players heads when highlighting we cant defend high balls into the box and we still haven't learnt our lesson against them Thats the big disappointment for me