PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final Media Silence

Roberts1875
14-05-2016, 10:41 AM
I want limited media activity from Hibs this week. Difficult I know, however sick of player interviews proclaiming what we will and won't do. It's happened so many times this season and inevitably blown up in our faces. Circle the wagons, keep comments within the Hibs family as much as possible, give the media limited fodder,to chew on, and do the talking on the pitch, we can can go open season after if the result goes our way

Nicho87
14-05-2016, 10:43 AM
I dont want to hear from stubbs all week. He clearly knows he gone after this game. The hunt for the new manager should be underway now.

chrisski33
14-05-2016, 10:48 AM
as hibs never learn no doubt it there will be silly quotes from the manager cummings etc but i bet the media will take snippets from what theyve said. surprised they aint going to spain to prepare for the final tbh

HibbyDave
14-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Maybe they will release a cup final song?

High-On-Hibs
14-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Maybe they will release a cup final song?

"Don't concede too soon"?

14-05-2016, 10:54 AM
We've done far too much talking this season, time to actually prove something on the park. The West Coast media will be desperate to twist some stories about us to try fire up the huns.

Just keep ourselves to ourselves and just concentrate on our preperations.

Paisley Hibby
14-05-2016, 11:09 AM
This approach to media is absolutely essential. But fully expect our club to ferrk this up as well😏

Onion
14-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Agree a media silence from Hibs is best approach. Not what the media wants, but who gives a toss. All they want is more sticks to beat us over the head with before they anoint their NewHuns as Cup winners.

IMO let the Huns do all the talking this week. Give them enough rope and .....

HibsNutter
14-05-2016, 11:17 AM
There will be some commitments but I can't see them talking much, they'll just want to focus.

HH81
14-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Are they flying out for a week away before the final like in the past?

dp00
14-05-2016, 01:04 PM
I want them training in the morning at east mains and spending the afternoons in leith/Easter road with the fans to fully understand what winning it would mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamesie
14-05-2016, 01:11 PM
I want limited media activity from Hibs this week. Difficult I know, however sick of player interviews proclaiming what we will and won't do. It's happened so many times this season and inevitably blown up in our faces. Circle the wagons, keep comments within the Hibs family as much as possible, give the media limited fodder,to chew on, and do the talking on the pitch, we can can go open season after if the result goes our way

Think we are obliged in terms of Scottish Cup rules to at least do the press conference before it - although Yogi didn't do it last year and while there was talk of him getting into bother for that I don't think he did in the end.

truehibernian
14-05-2016, 01:39 PM

This 100% - players should train here, go into town and hear fans views !!! None of this social media nonsense !!!

Total media silence !!!!!

One Day Soon
14-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Think we are obliged in terms of Scottish Cup rules to at least do the press conference before it - although Yogi didn't do it last year and while there was talk of him getting into bother for that I don't think he did in the end.

If they have to do a press conference they should field one person - and that person should take the Scott Brown approach : " I dunno" in answer to everything.

Glory Lurker
14-05-2016, 01:47 PM
What I'm looking for is a statement from the club about last night. Something to show they know how we feel. No promises of victory next week, just an acknowledgement that the fans have taken a real boot in the guts and that the club wants to put that right. We're supposed to have our communication improved now, so where is it?

GreenLake
14-05-2016, 02:37 PM
I don't think we will hear very much as they have just allowed Falkirk to shut them right up.

JJP
14-05-2016, 03:38 PM
What I'm looking for is a statement from the club about last night. Something to show they know how we feel. No promises of victory next week, just an acknowledgement that the fans have taken a real boot in the guts and that the club wants to put that right. We're supposed to have our communication improved now, so where is it?

I don't know what they could possibly say that would make me feel better at this moment.

erin go bragh
14-05-2016, 03:54 PM
I don't know what they could possibly say that would make me feel better at this moment.

If we win the cup I will feel 100% better .

GGTTH

Islington Hibs
14-05-2016, 08:33 PM
I dont want to hear from stubbs all week. He clearly knows he gone after this game. The hunt for the new manager should be underway now.

you say he is clearly gone-you may be right but it will not be because he is sacked it will be because he has been spotted by a club with a bigger budget down south. He might be appreciated a bit more once he is away. By the way I hope he stays.

chrisski33
14-05-2016, 08:40 PM
We want media silence from them but i bet they wont honour our wishes

craigwilson911
14-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Really hope there is as little comments as possible too. Obviously want the players to be confident but some have came across a tad arrogant this season and make me cringe. I think some of the players have been involved in different games from the ones I've watched.

Nevertheless lets hope and pray for a minor miracle on Saturday and get right behind the boys against that horrid lot from Govan.

stantonhibby
14-05-2016, 08:47 PM
We want media silence from them but i bet they wont honour our wishes

Who's the 'we' .....the 15 or so folk on this thread? I'm not bothered a monkeys about media stuff....there will be stuff done for the sponsors and puff pieces in the papers which I won't buy anyway.

DavieRoy
14-05-2016, 08:53 PM
There are contractual obligations on the club from William Hill, Sky Sports and BBC Scotland for them to do certain media duties ahead of this game.

JJP
14-05-2016, 10:24 PM
I see the Daily Record are trolling Hibs with their headlines again. This rag should be banned from ER by now. Utter rag.

hibsbollah
14-05-2016, 10:34 PM
I want a total media blitz to cause a ****storm of hack bile. Cummings Says Nicky Law Looks Like A Foetus, Stubbs in Warbs Antisemitic Slur and Conrad Logan's Ma Stole Shergar should do for Monday.

silverhibee
14-05-2016, 11:47 PM
This 100% - players should train here, go into town and hear fans views !!! None of this social media nonsense !!!

Total media silence !!!!!

A couple of ex Hibs players have already gave interviews to the BBC this week on how things will go in the final this weekend. :aok:

O'Rourke3
15-05-2016, 12:24 AM
There's going to be photoshoots and colour pieces for TV. David Gray and Alan Stubbs probably mandated to appear. So appear and give incoherent and unusable quotes. Lets face it Stubbs could come out with a statement as profound as King's "I have a dream" and the media would play it back like "Minorities leader thinks slavery was abandoned too soon". Give them garbage that they cannot use. As one earlier poster said, use the no use crying over spilt orange juice route.

silverhibee
15-05-2016, 12:44 AM
What are your thoughts on things Pat.

Pete
15-05-2016, 12:51 AM
I want a total media blitz to cause a ****storm of hack bile. Cummings Says Nicky Law Looks Like A Foetus, Stubbs in Warbs Antisemitic Slur and Conrad Logan's Ma Stole Shergar should do for Monday.

:agree:

That sort of stuff will have exactly the same effect as a media blackout regarding what happens on the pitch. It won't make a blind bit of difference and far too much is being made of this by people who are coming across as a bit gullible.

joebakerforever
15-05-2016, 01:19 AM
:agree:

That sort of stuff will have exactly the same effect as a media blackout regarding what happens on the pitch. It won't make a blind bit of difference and far too much is being made of this by people who are coming across as a bit gullible.

So you don't think Football Managers ever refer to media quotes from opposing Managers & Players to motivate their team prior to matches?

I'd wager "Horrible Houston" would have fed his lot some of our reported comments to fire them up, and he would be happy with that contribution.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-05-2016, 01:34 AM
They're flying out to La Manga on Monday.

:greengrin

Alex Trager
15-05-2016, 01:40 AM
Pl

Pete
15-05-2016, 01:48 AM
So you don't think Football Managers ever refer to media quotes from opposing Managers & Players to motivate their team prior to matches?

I'd wager "Horrible Houston" would have fed his lot some of our reported comments to fire them up, and he would be happy with that contribution.

I bet they all think the media quotes are taken out of context and designed to sell papers to fans. No, in fact they know this as it's probably happened to themselves or another manager or player they know.

I doubt very much that Houston would pin something up on a wall that everyone in the room knows isn't the gist of what was actually said.

I've no doubt Houston got them fired up though but it was probably his ability to explain the consequences of success and getting them to believe in themselves.

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2016, 02:05 AM

I'd wager "Horrible Houston" would have fed his lot some of our reported comments to fire them up, and he would be happy with that contribution.I'd believe you if his team actually looked fired up, they had about 6 shots in 180 minutes and got 2 massive refereeing decisions in their favour.

JOD
15-05-2016, 02:26 AM
"Don't concede too soon"?

Naw no long throw ins Please cause e cannae cope wi them in the last 10 mins

Borderhibbie76
15-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Im really disappointed that LD has put nothing on the website too - that was one hell of a kick in the gonads for the fans on friday. Perhaps she is waiting until he inevitable Stubbs departure next week??

stantonhibby
15-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Im really disappointed that LD has put nothing on the website too - that was one hell of a kick in the gonads for the fans on friday. Perhaps she is waiting until he inevitable Stubbs departure next week??

What could she possibly put up that would make us feel better? Whatever she said would just be ripped apart anyway. Let's all concentrate on Sat and it will no doubt be all clearer after that.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2016, 12:42 PM
I bet they all think the media quotes are taken out of context and designed to sell papers to fans. No, in fact they know this as it's probably happened to themselves or another manager or player they know.

I doubt very much that Houston would pin something up on a wall that everyone in the room knows isn't the gist of what was actually said.

I've no doubt Houston got them fired up though but it was probably his ability to explain the consequences of success and getting them to believe in themselves.
Pete, I can tell you straight from the horses mouth that Houston was using quotes in the papers from Stubbs and Fyvie in particular to fire up the players.

Doubt what you want but the Falkirk players and management team were very aware of what noises Hibs were making in the press and were absolutely using them to their advantage.

Pete
15-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Pete, I can tell you straight from the horses mouth that Houston was using quotes in the papers from Stubbs and Fyvie in particular to fire up the players.

Doubt what you want but the Falkirk players and management team were very aware of what noises Hibs were making in the press and were absolutely using them to their advantage.

Maybe I was crediting certain Falkirk players with a bit more intelligence than I should have.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Maybe I was crediting certain Falkirk players with a bit more intelligence than I should have.
Maybe so, but whatever they did has worked for them. Even their over the top celebrations at ER in April were done intentionally to get into the heads of the Hibs team.

Pete
15-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Maybe so, but whatever they did has worked for them. Even their over the top celebrations at ER in April were done intentionally to get into the heads of the Hibs team.

It's sounds to me like it wouldn't have mattered what we said to the press. The psychological genius simply would have used some other form of motivation to ensure victory. ;-)

To be fair, good managers can get players motivated using a variety of different methods but it can only go so far. If we could defend properly or take our chances we wouldn't be having this conversation.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2016, 03:10 PM
It's sounds to me like it wouldn't have mattered what we said to the press. The psychological genius simply would have used some other form of motivation to ensure victory. ;-)

To be fair, good managers can get players motivated using a variety of different methods but it can only go so far. If we could defend properly or take our chances we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I think your right about taking our chances but the fact is that Houston made the point to his players about our attitude in the press as early as April and challenged them to shut us up. The fact that in the last 3 games we've lost leads to them in the matter that we have says to me that those psychological tactics worked, at least in part.

Pete
15-05-2016, 03:23 PM
I think your right about taking our chances but the fact is that Houston made the point to his players about our attitude in the press as early as April and challenged them to shut us up. The fact that in the last 3 games we've lost leads to them in the matter that we have says to me that those psychological tactics worked, at least in part.

To be honest, my real issue is that I'm not comfortable when people suggest we be quiet and stop bragging etc...because the truth is that we haven't said anything more outrageous than anyone else. The material wouldn't be out there if it wasn't for this Glasgow based media led campaign to ridicule hibs at every opportunity and make us out to be arrogant and boastful. All because we were up against Rangers this year. Grr.

Good insight into the mindset at Falkirk but stuff like that wouldn't work down south or at any club who's players undergo any form of decent media training. They'd be as well pinning up stuff about Freddie Starr eating hamsters.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-05-2016, 03:27 PM

If Stubbs wins the cup he'll be a hero and would be able to stay if he wanted to. I think the possibility of finding a new manager will most likely have been discussed but can't see anyone's mind being made up until after Saturday.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2016, 03:28 PM
To be honest, my real issue is that I'm not comfortable when people suggest we be quiet and stop bragging etc...because the truth is that we haven't said anything more outrageous than anyone else. The material wouldn't be out there if it wasn't for this Glasgow based media led campaign to ridicule hibs at every opportunity and make us out to be arrogant and boastful. All because we were up against Rangers this year. Grr.

Good insight into the mindset at Falkirk but stuff like that wouldn't work down south or at any club who's players undergo any form of decent media training. They'd be as well pinning up stuff about Freddie Starr eating hamsters.
The funny thing is that I agree with your first part and I've actually said that myself in other threads! It was just the part about certain things not being taken seriously by other clubs, as I know for a fact that Houston and their players did use it as motivation

Pete
15-05-2016, 03:33 PM
The funny thing is that I agree with your first part and I've actually said that myself in other threads! It was just the part about certain things not being taken seriously by other clubs, as I know for a fact that Houston and their players did use it as motivation

Fair enough mate. :aok:

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 03:38 PM

If we had held on we'd have been able to claim that the celebrations for getting a 2-2 and after finishing 2nd were a motivating factor.

It's a load of pish and for Houston to be claiming some kind of genius out of it says a lot.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2016, 03:46 PM
If we had held on we'd have been able to claim that the celebrations for getting a 2-2 and after finishing 2nd were a motivating factor.

It's a load of pish and for Houston to be claiming some kind of genius out of it says a lot.
The difference being that Houston mentioned these things before the games, he didn't just claim it afterwords.

Like I said to Pete, believe what you want about how much of an effect it had but I'm telling you as a matter of fact, Falkirk were using our comments in the press as motivation

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 04:07 PM
The difference being that Houston mentioned these things before the games, he didn't just claim it afterwords.

Like I said to Pete, believe what you want about how much of an effect it had but I'm telling you as a matter of fact, Falkirk were using our comments in the press as motivation

I bet we were using theirs. It's not what made the difference.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2016, 04:23 PM
I bet we were using theirs. It's not what made the difference.
Thats a different argument altogether though as I never said it did make the difference. It's obvious that the main reason for us not winning those games was our inability to take our chances when they came but in each of those three games we had leads going into the final 10 minutes and in each of the three games they found the motivation to come back to either draw or win. IMO his motivational techniques played a part.

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Are they flying out for a week away before the final like in the past?

I hope not, that training camp does more harm than good

Zazu62
15-05-2016, 08:16 PM
I've got a good feeling about Saturday. It's gonna be our day

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 08:23 PM

Aye, mind being on the bus to the last final? We all had a good feeling (thanks to 8 pints of tennents before the journey)

Onion
15-05-2016, 08:38 PM

And that's what keeps us going.

Be under no illusion, there is HUGE expectation and pressure on the Huns. Massive.Yet (apart from being the first) they are probably the worst Rangers team EVER to reach the Scottish Cup Final. They have the burden of being red hot favourites and preventing Hibs from breaking the most talked about hoodoo in Scottish football.

stantonhibby
15-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Aye, mind being on the bus to the last final? We all had a good feeling (thanks to 8 pints of tennents before the journey)

Are you just here to dampen down anyone feeling remotely optimistic about Saturday.

Hermit Crab
15-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Are you just here to dampen down anyone feeling remotely optimistic about Saturday.

Nah, just to piss you off. Put me on ignore if you're not happy.

Sammy7nil
15-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Hibs will have commitments to sponosrs to talk to the press and media imho we should do the absolute minimum. Let them all bang on about us not winning the cup for 3000 years etc etc. Say nothing about this being for the fans just go out play the game when we win ALL the players and everyone at the club can talk as much as they like.

Sammy7nil
15-05-2016, 09:25 PM
And that's what keeps us going.

Be under no illusion, there is HUGE expectation and pressure on the Huns. Massive.Yet (apart from being the first) they are probably the worst Rangers team EVER to reach the Scottish Cup Final. They have the burden of being red hot favourites and preventing Hibs from breaking the most talked about hoodoo in Scottish football.
If we must talk that is exactly what we must focus on no pressure at all on Hibs after all look at our record The Rangers are a Massive new club:wink: and all the pressure is on them to deliver.

Pretty Boy
15-05-2016, 09:33 PM
I went to see The Bill Shankly Story last week.

Both Ian St John and Ian Callaghan spoke at length about how Shankly prepared Liverpool for the FA Cup final in 1965, bear in mind Liverpool had never won the cup before. They basically said he went all out to relax the players and almost played down the occasion. He had Jimmy Tarbuck in the dressing room an hour before kick off telling jokes and kept their routine as normal as possible and kept media commitments to an absolute minimum in the week before. They both said when they went into the tunnel they could see how tense Leeds were and had all heard Don Revie ranting and raving at his players. They said there was no doubt in their minds they were winning the match.

This is the route Hibs should go down imo, no break from the routine, do the media but give them absolutely nothing to twist and whilst the players will be aware of what the game means the emphasis should be getting them focussed on playing the game rather than the ocassion.

Sammy7nil
15-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I went to see The Bill Shankly Story last week.

Both Ian St John and Ian Callaghan spoke at length about how Shankly prepared Liverpool for the FA Cup final in 1965, bear in mind Liverpool had never won the cup before. They basically said he went all out to relax the players and almost played down the occasion. He had Jimmy Tarbuck in the dressing room an hour before kick off telling jokes and kept their routine as normal as possible and kept media commitments to an absolute minimum in the week before. They both said when they went into the tunnel they could see how tense Leeds were and had all heard Don Revie ranting and raving at his players. They said there was no doubt in their minds they were winning the match.

This is the route Hibs should go down imo, no break from the routine, do the media but give them absolutely nothing to twist and whilst the players will be aware of what the game means the emphasis should be getting them focussed on playing the game rather than the ocassion.

LOL no break from routine Tarbuck in the dressing room :greengrin the person I would like in the dressing room is Andy Murray just about Scotland's only world class sports person at this time. Pity the French open starts Sunday.