PDA

View Full Version : Stokes, why?

hibshibshibs84
13-05-2016, 11:26 PM
From what I can work out, he only ever scored ONE important league goal..... (winner vs Morton)
apart from that, 2 injury time goals in games that were already won.... (Saints and i think dumbarton, could be wrong)
He also scored in kirkcaldy when we lost 2-1.

scored both in the cup QF replay.

but come on? this guy was brought in to get us promoted.
is it his fault or is it down to Stubbs/the board trying to get one over on the huns?

FromTheCapital
13-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Nothing to do with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehibernian
13-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Nothing to do with him.

Really ? I differ - looked great, major destabiliser - whole January window backfired majorly.

Another season in the lower league of Scottish football - Stokes has done the square root of f all !

Toldo123
13-05-2016, 11:33 PM
I think we all expected a player of his calibre and pedigree to have had more impact. Bearing in mind the league we in I had expectations of him being a class apart. In saying that I think he has been decent in the last month and probably one of our better players. Though I know a lot of our fans that disagree

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

hibshibshibs84
13-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Nothing to do with him.

not a fan of folk saying he upset team/balance whatever.... but what was his goals to game ratio before coming here?
It must have been better right?

Hutchie
13-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Stokes played well both legs.

Stokesy's on fire
13-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Yyawn...strikers did their job tonight. We scored two the DEFENCE leaked 3

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:36 PM
I think we all expected a player of his calibre and pedigree to have had more impact. Bearing in mind the league we in I had expectations of him being a class apart. In saying that I think he has been decent in the last month and probably one of our better players. Though I know a lot of our fans that disagree

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Yep. His signing didn't work. He has played okay but nowhere near what was expected from him.

Scottie
13-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Nothing to do with him.

Everything to do with him. He was brought in here to score goals and he hasn't scored enough.

Clean through one on one in first leg to finish the tie and he blazed over.

truehibernian
13-05-2016, 11:38 PM

Did what ? Score ? Create ? Did hee haw at the business end of the pitch !

Worst worst signing in retrospect ! Injured first game said it all !

FromTheCapital
13-05-2016, 11:39 PM

Created 2nd goal tonight

FromTheCapital
13-05-2016, 11:39 PM
Everything to do with him. He was brought in here to score goals and he hasn't scored enough.

Clean through one on one in first leg to finish the tie and he blazed over.

Utter pish.

"Everything to do with him."

Away and take your face for a *****.

Captain Trips
13-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Stokes has been playing on memory. 1 goal in 10.

mentalhibee
13-05-2016, 11:41 PM

Did you miss his great cross for Keatings header?

Scottie
13-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Utter pish.

"Everything to do with him."

Away and take your face for a *****.
Oh wise one please explain to us non believers why Stokes has nothing to do with our woeful second half of the season!

mcfly
13-05-2016, 11:42 PM

Eh did you watch the games??

He did nothing tonight...
He ballooned the ball over the bar when clean through in 1st leg

He's been a poor signing.

mcfly
13-05-2016, 11:43 PM

Correct sir

Pete
13-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Why?

Well, that cross for one and his link up play for two.

He's undoubtedly talented but he's coming up against stuffy defences and isn't really getting any space at all. He's almost turning into a number ten what with all the coming deep looking for options and trying to work the defences.

He'd probably score a hatful for a team in the top league where he isn't bogged down in *****.

FromTheCapital
13-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Oh wise one please explain to us non believers why Stokes has nothing to do with our woeful second half of the season!

Because for the past month or two, he's been one of our most consistent performers.

J-C
13-05-2016, 11:49 PM
It took him 4-5 weeks to get fit for ****'s sake, what the hell was he doing at Celtic that made his so unfit when he came here, oh that's right, bevvying and gambling as per usual, where are are the loads of goals everyone said he's score in this wee league, he's been a total waste.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Why?

Well, that cross for one and his link up play for two.

He's undoubtedly talented but he's coming up against stuffy defences and isn't really getting any space at all. He's almost turning into a number ten what with all the coming deep looking for options and trying to work the defences.

He'd probably score a hatful for a team in the top league where he isn't bogged down in *****.

I think in this league we should be able to expect a bit more than the odd cross or goal? This doesn't mean he has delivered what he should. I was delighted when he signed but quite honestly expected about a goal a game and certainly thought he would own the bigger games. He hasn't.

Booked4Being-Ugly
13-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Poor judgement by Stubbs bringing Stokes back. Cup goals against ICT aside, as a striker/goalscorer he's been woeful!

Scottie
13-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Because for the past month or two, he's been one of our most consistent performers.
At least we can agree on something he has been consistent.

Consistently garbage.

Captain Trips
13-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Signing Stokes fine, not dropping him isnt. Slow and ponderous team slow and ponderous changes.

FromTheCapital
13-05-2016, 11:55 PM
At least we can agree on something he has been consistent.

Consistently garbage.

Another consistency is the ***** you come up with

The Harp Awakes
13-05-2016, 11:56 PM
He's not scored as many goals as we hoped but has played well in most games. Has had a positive impact on the team since coming in. Defensive lapses and hardly any goals from midfield have cost us promotion.

PeachyCarnehan
13-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Too much expected of him. The problems were deeper than a marquee signing.

Pete
13-05-2016, 11:57 PM
I think in this league we should be able to expect a bit more than the odd cross or goal? This doesn't mean he has delivered what he should. I was delighted when he signed but quite honestly expected about a goal a game and certainly thought he would own the bigger games. He hasn't.

You expected a goal a game! Did you expect that from Malonga? :wink:

To be honest we all had high expectations but instead of simply dismissing him as a failure because of his goals tally can you not see how he has contributed? I've tried to explain how I think his role has changed slightly due to the stuffy opposition etc...and Alan has obviously thought similarly as he's continued to pick him.

Captain Trips
13-05-2016, 11:58 PM

Indeed when he signed were we thinking great he will put in some crosses or was it he will help out our goals for column as he should be able to put away the chances created.

I expected goals and goals are what we lacked, fits and bursts of goals but overall not enough.

Andy74
14-05-2016, 12:02 AM
You expected a goal a game! Did you expect that from Malonga? :wink:

To be honest we all had high expectations but instead of simply dismissing him as a failure because of his goals tally can you not see how he has contributed? I've tried to explain how I think his role has changed slightly due to the stuffy opposition etc...and Alan has obviously thought similarly as he's continued to pick him.

He might have adapted his game but he hasn't done the creative stuff or holding it up as well as Malonga was doing.

Stokes should have been scoring goals. I'm amazed so many have have given him so much credit for the little things he has done. Our stats since January tell a story of a team that doesn't operate as well as it did before January.

Scottie
14-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Another consistency is the ***** you come up with
Your a real charmer aren't you.

You still haven't answered the question what Stokes has brought to the team have you. (Are you Mr Stokes btw ?) Your posts are as funny as his attempts on target.

FromTheCapital
14-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Your a real charmer aren't you.

You still haven't answered the question what Stokes has brought to the team have you. (Are you Mr Stokes btw ?) Your posts are as funny as his attempts on target.

Your posts aren't funny at all.

Canny be bothered talking to clowns like you. No footballing sense whatsoever.

Cheerio.

truehibernian
14-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Created 2nd goal tonight

Did we win ?

Scottie
14-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Your posts aren't funny at all.

Canny be bothered talking to clowns like you. No footballing sense whatsoever.

Cheerio.
See ya troll :aok:

Captain Trips
14-05-2016, 12:11 AM
This thread is about Stokes but it isnt only his fault we have lacked goals, the midfield has no guile no tricks we needed someone in behind the front two who had tricks to offer and guile. Goal tally from midfield has not been good enough.

Andy74
14-05-2016, 12:13 AM
This thread is about Stokes but it isnt only his fault we have lacked goals, the midfield has no guile no tricks we needed someone in behind the front two who had tricks to offer and guile. Goal tally from midfield has not been good enough.

You also need the ball to stick up front and be fed back to the midfield for that to happen.

truehibernian
14-05-2016, 12:19 AM

He was signed to 'get us over the line' - in short, he's been crap !

hibshibshibs84
14-05-2016, 12:24 AM
worked it out, since I don't know what else to do on a night like this......
Before Stokes (BS) - 2.2 ponts per game.
After Stokes (AS) - 1.4 points per game.

Obviously it can't all be down to Anthony. but then what?
Is it Stubbs? Is it changing shape/formation? Is it luck?

Im going mental with this.

hibs4life
14-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Eh did you watch the games??

He did nothing tonight...
He ballooned the ball over the bar when clean through in 1st leg

He's been a poor signing.
Obviously he did watch the game, that's how he arrived at his opinion.
I've been frustrated with Stokes at times but he's not the reason we're not promoted. Defending and getting goals from midfield seems to be more of a pertinent discussion point. I think Stokes started off poorly but think that his contribution to our play improved, especially in recent games.
Yes, I expected more goals from him but the implication that he is responsible for our failure any more than any of our other players, is, IMHO, a knee-jerk response to tonight's bitter disappointment.

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2016, 12:31 AM
To be fair, Stokes has put in a good shift by creating for others and putting himself about, but ultimately he was brought in to score regularly against all-comers. This for me is what he should be judged on. In this respect he has not delivered. The goals have been few and infrequent.
Whether or not he scores in the Scottish cup final will not alter the fact that he ultimately did not do the business in the priority and bread and butter games in the league. This is where we really needed him to deliver by scoring against stuffy (and part-time) teams who put everyone behind the ball.
The league was our priority and, again, to be fair to him, he was very much part of a collective failure and not the only culprit to fail to hit the back of the net. The failure of our entire midfield to score regularly( and in the process ease the pressure on Stokes and Cummings) was a significant factor throughout the season.

Vault Boy
14-05-2016, 12:39 AM
Stokes' link up play with Henderson and general grafting have been very beneficial for us. I'm gutted after the match, but not so much that I won't recognise a good contribution to what should have been a solid victory.

GreenLake
14-05-2016, 12:43 AM
I thought Stokes was wanting tonight but played well in other games lately. He should have been subbed for Cummings at 60 mins.

SpaceBob
14-05-2016, 12:50 AM
He might have adapted his game but he hasn't done the creative stuff or holding it up as well as Malonga was doing.

Stokes should have been scoring goals. I'm amazed so many have have given him so much credit for the little things he has done. Our stats since January tell a story of a team that doesn't operate as well as it did before January.
This

hibs4life
14-05-2016, 12:57 AM
This

That

Steve-O
14-05-2016, 01:07 AM
His end product has been garbage. His shooting has been appalling. Sick of the amount of moves that ended with him being tackled, misplacing a pass or shooting off target.

Tyler Durden
14-05-2016, 06:06 AM
For whatever reason his signing has been a disaster. The impact on Cummings as much as anything else

We needed hungry players, not someone who thought they were doing us a favour

gorgie greens
14-05-2016, 06:18 AM
Like previous poster said that it took him a while to find his fitness ,i like him but his goals have been not what we have expected but the
chances he has giving the other guys wit his link up play has been great in my opinion ,does not hlp when you have keepers like sivs who give the defence playing in front of them no confidence at all , and when a keeper is edgie it puts the whole defending a lot harder.

PompeyHibs
14-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Stokes played well tonight, created chances for others, set up second goal and link up play is good.
He's playing as a number ten imo and starting deep picking up the ball and creating for others. He's not being used as an out and out striker. Very rarely he is in the box, he seems to be the creative one.
Off course we want more goals but he does lots of hard work outside the box and is our most creative player.

Note as a team we struggled to secure goals this season.

Midfielders need to chip in more. How many have

Mcginn, Henderson, fyvie, mcgeouch, Bartley scored this season?? They need to chip in more goals

Borderhibbie76
14-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Stokes was the wrong singing for us...he drops deep constantly even last night the number of decent crosses into box and nobody there. No denying our season has fell apart since Jan and it's more than coincidence this coincides with his arrival imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HappyHanlon
14-05-2016, 09:18 AM
He always seems to get pulled out wide. So when the ball is fired across the goal, there's no one to get on the end of it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-05-2016, 09:19 AM
You can't question his ability but questions about his application and commitment should be answered by him on the pitch. Henderson is also a loanee and IMO his commitment to the cause has put some of our signed players to shame.

pennyhibee
14-05-2016, 09:36 AM

Is it a defence who can't stop losing goals no matter how many we score maybe

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 09:38 AM
He has failed miserably I'm afraid. Poor signing that has cost us big time.

Onion
14-05-2016, 09:41 AM
He tied hard😒

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Stokes is an average Scottish team player nothing better. He has lost his sharpness and directness since he was last with us. How he stays on the park consistently, while other strikers or mid-fielders were subbed is beyond me. Since he arrived Cummings has gone right off form despite looking like he had made massive improvements. I really thought we had a goal a game striker, and was delighted he signed. He just wasn't up to speed, and flatters to deceive a lot of people on here.

Captain Trips
14-05-2016, 09:57 AM
The subbing of Keatings and he stays on, says it all.

SJM
14-05-2016, 09:59 AM
How do you add someone's ref number? Can't see it anywhere.

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 10:00 AM
The subbing of Keatings and he stays on, says it all.

Most weeks are the same any other player except him gets the hook :confused:

Jones28
14-05-2016, 10:23 AM

His constant dropping deep to collect the ball rather than sticking to the last defender like a rash is half the reason he hasn't scored as many goals as he should have.

We were massively improved on Tuesday when he stayed up front rather than coming and picking up the ball from just inside the opposing half. It was doing my ****ing nut.

judas
14-05-2016, 10:25 AM
From what I can work out, he only ever scored ONE important league goal..... (winner vs Morton)
apart from that, 2 injury time goals in games that were already won.... (Saints and i think dumbarton, could be wrong)

is it his fault or is it down to Stubbs/the board trying to get one over on the huns?

Its in stokes contract the he has to play every game for hibs unless injured. That was / is the deal.

Steve-O
14-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Its in stokes contract the he has to play every game for hibs unless injured. That was / is the deal.

Is that true? Certainly seems that way since he never gets subbed.

Scorrie
14-05-2016, 10:34 AM

If that's true then whoever at Hibs agreed that needs a kick up the erchie.

Wellbankhibby
14-05-2016, 10:42 AM

I personally think Stokes is a fantastic player who has gained fitness now and does loads of work running of the ball. I honestly don't understand any Hibs fans not liking the guy as a footballer.

Steve88
14-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Stokes job, as with any striker, is to score goals. Really impressed with his attitude in the past month when watching him despite not scoring ( I'm sure we'll all agree most strikers on a goal drought let it effect their entire game but it's only added as extra motivation for stokes to get back on the score sheet).

However, in saying that he hasn't delivered and for that reason his stint on loan at Hibs hasn't been a success 1. for Stokes personally 2. Hibs.

Did we allow King Dom to go because we opted for a "Big Name" ( Maybe one of you can shed some light on this) but one thing Stubbs will have learnt since January is that big names don't win games.

croydonhibby
14-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Apologies if asked already but does his booking last night mean he misses final? It said on TV he misses next match.

J-C
14-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Apologies if asked already but does his booking last night mean he misses final? It said on TV he misses next match.

It would only miss Killie game had we went through.

Colr
14-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Really ? I differ - looked great, major destabiliser - whole January window backfired majorly.

Another season in the lower league of Scottish football - Stokes has done the square root of f all !

Don't think he's done his Celtic career much good either.

Colr
14-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I personally think Stokes is a fantastic player who has gained fitness now and does loads of work running of the ball. I honestly don't understand any Hibs fans not liking the guy as a footballer.

Unfortunately running OFF the ball is not much use if your supposed to be scoring goals

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 12:10 PM
He's got himself fit (i.e able to run for 90 mins), has given 100% but the sharpness has gone and will probably never come back. His job was to score the goals that would get us promoted and he's barely had a shot on target in the games that really mattered.

LaMotta
14-05-2016, 12:18 PM

I can understand it. He has shown flashes of quality ie his cross for 2nd goal but not enough like that.

His end product last night given how much of the ball he had was woeful. Running into crowded opposition areas before getting tackled, poor crosses, flicks that didnt come off and shots that never look like scoring.

Ronniekirk
14-05-2016, 12:29 PM
It was a gamble that hasn't paid off in the sense that he was brought in to score goals and in important games
He had done that but i certainly wouldn't say he is to blame for us not going up

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Is that true? Certainly seems that way since he never gets subbed.
He does get subbed though, semi final for example.

wills
14-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Think Stubbs got this one wrong bringing Stokes as a goal scoring threat, he is more of a link up player these days. Unfortunately for us he had lost all confidence under Delia's leadership as a poacher and striker. We have tried to use him as a target man but I don't think he was comfortable with this role. There is definitely a player in there but he doesn't and will probably never have that killer instinct that he had playing along side Griffiths

Wellbankhibby
14-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately running OFF the ball is not much use if your supposed to be scoring goals
There is more to being a footballer than scoring goals. Stokes has not bee playing in his right position he is mainly a penalty box player. Keep him in there and he will get the goals.

Phil MaGlass
14-05-2016, 04:59 PM
To be fair to stokes, if yir no gettin the service you have tae go get the ball. Hibs slow play and nae width meant he had tae go collect the ball, hes a striker ffs, certainly not all his fault apart fae bein unfit when he came tae us