PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Zemamma10
13-05-2016, 08:53 PM
At fault for a number of the goals in this play-off.

1st leg, should have cleared up park but hesitated and subsequent phase of play led to goal.

2nd leg, lost track of his man for first goal tonight whilst trying to push up for offside.

Bundled aside at long throw.

By far the weak link in the team, should be a squad player at the very most, offers nothing to a starting XI. A common denominator in Hibs failings over recent years.

Horrific.

SpaceBob
13-05-2016, 08:55 PM

1st leg, should have cleared up park but hesitated and subsequent phase of play led to goal.

2nd leg, lost track of his man for first goal tonight whilst trying to push up for offside.

By far the weak link in the team, should be a squad player at the very most, offers nothing to a starting XI. A common denominator in Hibs failings over recent years.

Horrific.

Aye it's all Lewis fault:confused:

CallumHibs07
13-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Very average player. Embarrassing he's played 300 games for us.

SJM
13-05-2016, 08:57 PM
When you look at the mighty Falkirk full backs he's is *****.

staunchhibby
13-05-2016, 08:58 PM
New scapegoat now.At least lewis gives his all.

hibee_girl
13-05-2016, 08:58 PM

300 odd games, must be crap right enough :rolleyes:

Love how it's always Stevenson's fault, not Logan's for his mistake, not Gray for his, not Stokes for missing that chance on Tuesday etc. Nope, all Lewis' fault.

cleanyman
13-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Amateurish stuff from our full backs tonight.

By God they work hard but is that good enough for Hibs?

Stevenson playing over 300 games for the club shows where we currently are.

Hibernian are a championship club.

hibeelady
13-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Beat it !! Lewis gives 100% he will be hurting too

neil7908
13-05-2016, 09:00 PM
I like Lewis a lot but he's not really a left back. Don't think we need to start tearing into individual players but we absolutely need some competition there.

itslegaltender
13-05-2016, 09:00 PM
The Stevenson love in continues. He's a makeshift full back. Gets caught out of possession too many times.

1987kev
13-05-2016, 09:01 PM
The club been in decline for 6 years and he's been part of it the whole way simple not good enough time to move on

Beefster
13-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Love how it's always Stevenson's fault, not Logan's for his mistake, not Gray for his, not Stokes for missing that chance on Tuesday etc. Nope, all Lewis' fault.

You're right. Logan, Gray, Stokes and a fair number of the rest are just as culpable as Stevenson.

SeanWilson

Horrific.

**** off. Make your 30th action a ta ta

Billychaotic182
Christ. Deleting people's posts who stick up for him but keep the dross slagging him. Honestly this is a total joke!

ClewsHibs
13-05-2016, 09:03 PM
But he makes a good point

IWasThere2016
13-05-2016, 09:03 PM
You're right. Logan, Gray, Stokes and a fair number of the rest are just as culpable as Stevenson.

Yup..

lucky
13-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Both FBs were at fault with goals tonight. But we win and lose as a team

Unseen work
13-05-2016, 09:05 PM
If falkirk don't go up we should sign luke leahy

HNA8
13-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Christ. Deleting people's posts who stick up for him but keep the dross slagging him. Honestly this is a total joke!

Think you'll find posts have been deleted due to the choice language of posters, we do have rules.

wick hibby
13-05-2016, 09:06 PM

Horrific.

Is your lips brown thy should be

R'Albin
Always likely when you have a manager who forces full backs to provide all the width in the team.

For once I actually don't think it's individual quality that is hurting us.

1987kev

Horrific.
And the first goal at ibrox last season playoffs

ruthven_raiders
13-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Let's all **** off and go to bed and let's hope we win the cup lol

Jay
13-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Your post was deleted because of the language, you've been on here long enough to know what's acceptable even on a night like tonight. Do you honestly think the admin team are relishing having to edit and delete posts tonight? I'd rather be wallowing in seethe and self pity like everybody else but this board has to run for the rest of you so here we are, doing our best.

ruthven_raiders
13-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Let's all **** off and go to bed and let's hope we win the cup lol

I don't know what to say anymore

PiemanP
13-05-2016, 09:11 PM
He's an honest trier and gives his all but he is not good enough. If we let him go I think he'd find himself drifting down the leagues very quickly.

You can't blame Lewis, as I said he gives his all. Questions have to be asked why in 2 years Stubbs hasn't at least signed back up (the eckersley shambles doesn't count)

Billychaotic182
13-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Your post was deleted because of the language, you've been on here long enough to know what's acceptable even on a night like tonight. Do you honestly think the admin team are relishing having to edit and delete posts tonight? I'd rather be wallowing in seethe and self pity like everybody else but this board has to run for the rest of you so here we are, doing our best.

Sorry I'm annoyed angry and frustrated and I don't believe Stevenson is the boo boy in this and this is unfair to blame him

KDY Hibs
13-05-2016, 09:13 PM

This.

Gmack7
13-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Stevenson Shocking defending for the first goal,
Gray shocking defending for the 2nd goal
The team shocking defending for the 3rd goal
All to familiar

keep the faith
13-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Think you'll find posts have been deleted due to the choice language of posters, we do have rules.

Why was the only positive thread deleted?

Paloschi
13-05-2016, 09:18 PM
He gives everything but he is not a good player

Beefster
13-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Why was the only positive thread deleted?

Because the language used was unacceptable? I think that's what's been said a few times now but maybe I'm reading them all wrong.

mca
13-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Can Someone Ban "Naming and Shaming" Threads Until After the Cup-Final Please... :aok:

keep the faith
13-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Because the language used was unacceptable? I think that's what's been said a few times now but maybe I'm reading them all wrong.

But not by those trying to see the positives. It was the angry responses that were out of order.

madhatter
13-05-2016, 09:21 PM
I like Lewis but he is a weakness. Can't compete in the air and comparing him to Leahy for Falkirk, they have a better LB than us. Not a personal attack on Lewis as I think he is still a good player but I just don't think he should have been our only recognizable LB for 2 seasons.

He is squad player.

David Gray is just as bad in truth, better in the air but cannot run the line. Caught out of position constantly. McGeouch is finished. We have no incisiveness upfront and a midfield that neither contribute to attack or defence much (no runs into box, no real contribution to defending). Stubbs has gathered 3-4 good players but he has not built a good team.

edwards
13-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Never been a Lewis Stevenson fan but over the last couple of seasons he has improved, at the start of the season I would have said our two weakest positions was our left back we needed someone who could give a better quality ball and our goalkeeper both remained, it was a team performance tonight and for 80 minutes it looked like we were going through.
At least the players will now get some sort of a rest before the final.

Mathias Jack
13-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Always likely when you have a manager who forces full backs to provide all the width in the team.

For once I actually don't think it's individual quality that is hurting us.

Amen to that; have a player in Boyle that is an out and out winger yet he barely uses him. Be interesting to see who he brings into replace Hendo. By God, we are gonna miss that kid...

mcfly
13-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Lewis isn't very good /slows game down and always passes back

However stokes, has been a massive disappointment and why can't Boyle get some more games???

Manager is too loyal to the players that let us down - I'm sorry but hibs will have to review the tickets prices and season tickets.

They cannot justify SPL prices for a 3rd year in that leAhue.

crowds will drop hugely now.

SJM
13-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Never been a Lewis Stevenson fan but over the last couple of seasons he has improved, at the start of the season I would have said our two weakest positions was our left back we needed someone who could give a better quality ball and our goalkeeper both remained, it was a team performance tonight and for 80 minutes it looked like we were going through.
At least the players will now get some sort of a rest before the final.

That's because we are in the *****y leagues of Scottish football.

Lewis can't defend, he can't stick a decent ball in. He cuts inside and *****s himself.

Now, as we are staring our third season in the lower leagues of Scottish football why not just admit Lewis Stevenson is gash? Because he is. Would he get a game if we where good? No. I'm really hiding behind a username because I know Lewis through different players but he is not good enough.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
Both FBs were at fault with goals tonight. But we win and lose as a team

correct

Benny Brazil
Would swap him for the Falkirk left back.

SeanWilson
13-05-2016, 09:27 PM

However stokes, has been a massive disappointment and why can't Boyle get some more games???

Manager is too loyal to the players that let us down - I'm sorry but hibs will have to review the tickets prices and season tickets.

Lewis is mr consistent and Stokes has been brilliant.boyle is an impact player.

Not sure tickets prices will make any difference to your life.

hibbeedavid
13-05-2016, 09:28 PM
I like Lewis a lot, he always gives 100% etc but it is as a result of us being so poor that he has amassed over 300 appearances, he is a Championship level player, makes too many mistakes and outmuscled too easily too often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HIBEETILLIDIE
13-05-2016, 09:31 PM
What I can't understand is the amount of goals we gift and yet the boy Gunnerson cannot get into that team, he is good on the air and is a goal threat, but he is obviously not rated that he can't get in ahead of defenders and midfielders who have let us down many times over the last two seasons.

crash
13-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Would swap him for the Falkirk left back.

Somehow I can't see Falkirk being too interested in a tiny journeyman who every team in the league targets as an obvious weakness.

EVENTUALLY
13-05-2016, 09:38 PM
David Gray h.eader cost us the game. No question about it. Not Lewis Stevenson

ShinyFantastic
13-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Scandalous thread this. If we're going to discuss full backs, let's discuss David Gray. Captain coward. Positionally clueless, the amount of times I watch him make a run too far forward down that right hand side and we lose possession then the other team plays a long ball over the top that leaves McGregor exposed makes me sick. This cost us the league cup and continues to cost us time after time. And when he does get down the wing his crosses hardly ever beat the first man. Can't wait to see the back of him.

MGmick
13-05-2016, 09:40 PM

'Cos we're so much better than average eh!!! Clown.

gaz1875
13-05-2016, 09:41 PM
The whole team need looked at, too light weight and small at the back and can't concentrate for the full match, midfield too static and poor goal contribution, strikers can't form a partnership and miss chances by the bucket load. For the last two Falkirk goals, we were static, they were running onto the ball, it happens week in week out. When McGeouch came back a few weeks ago we looked a team again, sharp passing good movement. The second half in the first leg we were great back to the early season and cup form, but we still lost a late goal through static defending.

edwards
13-05-2016, 09:44 PM

They have to if they want to get players in and compete again next season

gaz1875
13-05-2016, 09:46 PM
David Gray h.eader cost us the game. No question about it. Not Lewis Stevenson

Terrible header clearance and not for the first time. As soon as he headed it I couldn't believe it never went out wide amateur stuff.

ggth
13-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Horrific.

yes other teams know that he is Hibs weak spot, shame the happy clappers can't see that

hibsdaft
13-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Joke of a thread. Lewis has never given less than 100% for the club and deserves our respect. We're all feeling ***** but if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

mcfly
13-05-2016, 09:51 PM

Stokes brilliant - aye ok pal

Go see your gp- cause u need your heid examined

madhatter
13-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Joke of a thread. Lewis has never given less than 100% for the club and deserves our respect. We're all feeling ***** but if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

He has been a great servant of the club but sadly should be squad player and probably for the midfield. He struggles badly at LB and gets exposed by height too easily. Having said that Gray is just as bad.

In our formation, our biggest failings sadly have been our GK, LB, RB, holding midfielder, no real partnership upfront. Gray and Stevenson most culpable due to reliance on them for width which is Stubbs' failing.

NikGunnarsson
13-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Just the norm, having average players like him is why we are an average club but hey ho we all love him :aok:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
13-05-2016, 09:58 PM

Horrific.

Hogwash.

That acceptable Mrs P? Delightfull.

GGTTH07
13-05-2016, 10:03 PM
I like Lewis but he is a weakness. Can't compete in the air and comparing him to Leahy for Falkirk, they have a better LB than us. Not a personal attack on Lewis as I think he is still a good player but I just don't think he should have been our only recognizable LB for 2 seasons.

He is squad player.

David Gray is just as bad in truth, better in the air but cannot run the line. Caught out of position constantly. McGeouch is finished. We have no incisiveness upfront and a midfield that neither contribute to attack or defence much (no runs into box, no real contribution to defending). Stubbs has gathered 3-4 good players but he has not built a good team.excellent post,spot on

Deeds
13-05-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm certainly not going to single out any player as they wil all be feeling just as bad as us tonight..and I thought at times we played some good football. I just got the feeling that Falkirk snapped into the tackles and were a wee bit more up for the battle than us. There's no doubt in my mind that we have better players, but sometimes you need to match the other teams desire.

Kiddo
13-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Everything that's been wrong with this club in the last 10 years is the fact he's played 300 games for us, yet people stick up for him because he tries. Trying should be a given from any player, get him as far away from the club as possible

Cod Boy
13-05-2016, 10:12 PM
If Lewis Stevenson was to leave he would be playing at a higher level next season than Hibs will be.

SpaceBob
13-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Sorry I'm annoyed angry and frustrated and I don't believe Stevenson is the boo boy in this and this is unfair to blame him

I'm with you, how can you pick out one player for a clubs failings.

Keyser Sauzee
13-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Stevenson always has and always will give 100% but I think we need to ask if that's really enough? He is a great option as an out ball down the left and constantly shows for the ball, never hiding. But he cant put a good ball into the box and I've lost count over the last few months that when he's under no pressure he cuts inside and plays a 5 yard pass to Hanlon. He didn't cost us the game tonight but his defending for the 1st goal was poor, totally wrong side of the man. He isn't the reason why we are not going up this year but overall we need to look to get better in.

hfc-1875
13-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Will always respect the guy due to the effort he gives and the number of games he's played for us, but I've said for ages he's a weak link. Our fans just accept very average players because 'he gives his all' completely ignoring his football ability.

Scottie
13-05-2016, 10:16 PM

Wow ! Stokes has been brilliant ?

Your easily pleased mate :rolleyes:

Stantons Angel
13-05-2016, 10:49 PM

Horrific.

You must have kept a good watch on Lewis all game to come away with this negative rendering of his play/

If i were to do the same with the rest of the team then would you agree with me?

Why is Lewis always the scapegoat when things go wrong? He maybe not the greatest of player to grace the jersey but he cant be faulted for commitment and industry.

More than can be said for some tonight!

I cant believe we got beaten tonight i really cant because i so wanted them to win and get through to the next round, just like you. Lewis is not the reason we failed tonight. We did not take the chances we made, to many times we waited for the ball to come to us, we did not compete in midfield, no one seems to have the brain to breakdown an eleven man defence in front of goal.

All the goals we lost tonight were because we continually gave the ball away in important areas. Lewis was not the only one to be at fault tonight. Stokes jumped once for the ball tonight, lost the ball all the time, Fyvie ran out of steam and again gave the ball away. McGregor, Hanlon and Conrad made meals of the last two goals and couldnt clear their lines!

its been the tale all season long, so before you decide to dissect Lewis's game take a look at the rest of the team too and for Gawds sake leave him alone.............

Billychaotic182
13-05-2016, 10:58 PM
I know he is limited but can't believe so many hibs fans want to write him off.

lucky
13-05-2016, 11:02 PM
He works very hard and I like his commitment but he's bang average

HappyHanlon
13-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Blame Lewis?

Making him the scapegoat for tonight's defeat is rancid.

Once again chances missed, poor defending, poor decision making in the middle of the pitch.

If you're solely pinning this defeat on Lewis then you're a daft *******

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Two new full backs needed if we want to progress.

pacoluna
13-05-2016, 11:07 PM
Not to blame, but he is bang average, Mr pass back.. doesn't inspire me at all, extremely average player with one foot, time for pastures new

SeanWilson
13-05-2016, 11:16 PM
Stokes brilliant - aye ok pal

Go see your gp- cause u need your heid examined

:aok:

SeanWilson
13-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Wow ! Stokes has been brilliant ?

Your easily pleased mate :rolleyes:

He's been brilliant for us, yes. Why am I easily pleased? :confused:

TheHarpy76
13-05-2016, 11:22 PM

I'm hurting like hell and would also give 100% if I had the chance to play for Hibs.
I'm also not a very good footballer.

Go figure.

Cameron1875
13-05-2016, 11:25 PM
He's a Championship footballer so yeah it makes sense that he is first choice in a Championship team.

If we want to be winning things then he's not the standard I'm afraid. Seems a nice guy and good pro but folk aren't paying £22 a home game and spending hundreds in May to watch nice people.

hibee_girl
13-05-2016, 11:26 PM
I really really hope Lewis goes on to score the winner next Saturday now :greengrin

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:27 PM

In what sense has Stokes been brilliant?

Scottie
13-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Its all a matter of opinion Sean.

Imo he has been very poor since he came in in January. He was brought in to score goals and he has not scored enough IMO.

The glaring miss in the first leg when through one on one sums him up for me. Hes missed several sitters that have cost us dear.

Stantons Angel
13-05-2016, 11:40 PM
He's a Championship footballer so yeah it makes sense that he is first choice in a Championship team.
?

If we want to be winning things then he's not the standard I'm afraid. Seems a nice guy and good pro but folk aren't paying £22 a home game and spending hundreds in May to watch nice people.

What standard is there in this team of ours that fills your heart with pride?

We have a few flair players who are good yes, but are they good enough to play in the SPL? we will never know will we?

The whole team must be a championship team then if Lewis is too. For goodness sake he is NOT to blame for this defeat, its a team game and the team failed NOT just him!

HTD1875
13-05-2016, 11:43 PM
He's such an average player, his saftey first short passing approach is fine if you have a winger infront of him providing width but his final ball is hopeless and he's scared to shoot so it's no wonder his first touch is always backwards.

The difference between our full backs and the Huns is about 25 goals a season.

The difference between our full backs and falkirks full backs are about 10 goals a season.

The Harp Awakes
13-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Two new full backs needed if we want to progress.

I agree with that. We need to look at every position in the side and see where we can improve for next season. Our full backs may be great athletes and triers but there's lots of room for improvement. Their passing and technical ability is average at best. We also need more goals and attacking threat from midfield. Out of the current first team squad I'd keep Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn, Keatings, Henderson (if possible), Bartley and McGeouch. Cummings I think will be away and if we can get £1m for him we can use the money to strengthen.

Lang Toun hibby
13-05-2016, 11:51 PM
I agree with that. We need to look at every position in the side and see where we can improve for next season. Our full backs may be great athletes and triers but there's lots of room for improvement. Their passing and technical ability is average at best. We also need more goals and attacking threat from midfield. Out of the current first team squad I'd keep Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn, Keatings, Henderson (if possible), Bartley and McGeouch. Cummings I think will be away and if we can get £1m for him we can use the money to strengthen.

Spot on. I would give Hanlon his jotters as well. Although improved this year part of a poor Hibs defence for years. Always prone to an error which usually proves costly.

Stantons Angel
13-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Its all a matter of opinion Sean.
S
Imo he has been very poor since he came in in January. He was brought in to score goals and he has not scored enough IMO.

The glaring miss in the first leg when through one on one sums him up for me. Hes missed several sitters that have cost us dear.

I was genuinely excited when Stokes came back to us, After witnessing some of his play previously i really thought he could help us on. He had the perfect window to perform in and push for inclusion in his Ireland international team.

I have been very disappointed in him and his performances for us. True he has scored a few good goals but for a full international player he is very poor in front of goal!

IMO he moans at all the players around him when he should be looking out for himself and getting into the positions he used to do. He doesnt go for a ball but waits till it comes to him. He consistently gives the ball away with stupid wee backflips when a simple pass may have been all that was needed!!!

tonight he jumped for a ball more than ive seen him in all his games. He just looks like an average player when we know there is more there he aint showing!
es

Lex7zero
14-05-2016, 05:26 AM

I love wee Lewis a lovely guy with a great attitude.
however a blind man could tell you that he has been the weakest link in our team for a couple of seasons. Teams gladly let the ball go wide to him as the end cross or fumble never had any gain. Oxley, Fyvie and Stevenson were the 3 players that should have been off loaded early doors. Stubbs failure to grasp this fact cost us dearly. Piss off to Blackburn Stubbsy please.

PompeyHibs
14-05-2016, 06:12 AM
ByIt's time for Stevenson and Hanlon to go. These two have played a part in our demise over past six years. There confidence must be at an all time low as they can't win a big game when it matters. Both are really poor defenders. Lewis got done badly at ibrox with the same move that falkirk did last night in last years semi play off.

Must punt them now, can't play either of these guys,next week. Serial losers and too weak at the back.

Ps it not just there fault we are where we are but they have played a big part in it.

Alternatively Stokes has been good for Hibs, class above most off the rest. His link up play is great at times, he has to come deap to pick up the ball but his touches,are class. He should score more goals but let's be honest he makes most of his own chances and has to resort from shooting from 30yards half the time.

Ggtth

Winston Ingram
14-05-2016, 06:45 AM

Horrific.

:faf:

Winston Ingram
14-05-2016, 06:50 AM

:party:

mmmmhibby
14-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Can Someone Ban "Naming and Shaming" Threads Until After the Cup-Final Please... :aok:

FFS jesus wept!!!

mmmmhibby
14-05-2016, 09:21 AM
If Lewis Stevenson was to leave he would be playing at a higher level next season than Hibs will be.

Maybe so, however he lacks confidence. You can see it all the time in his game, its no just happened this season, its been happening for years. Motherwell can have him.

1987kev
14-05-2016, 09:23 AM
The lad is brutal it's unbelievable he still here

SeanWilson
14-05-2016, 09:24 AM
:party:

:greengrin the beer may have influenced the 'brilliant' but I stand by the fact Stokes has been decent. Goals just didn't come... Hatrick against his beloved current buns? :greengrin

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 10:03 AM
:greengrin the beer may have influenced the 'brilliant' but I stand by the fact Stokes has been decent. Goals just didn't come... Hatrick against his beloved current buns? :greengrin

Stokes has been average and offers no more or less than Boyle or Keating's who have been benched since his arrival.

Big L
14-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Was Stevenson player of the year 2 seasons ago playing midfield? We could maybe have done with a bit of bite in there this year !

SeanWilson
14-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Stokes has been average and offers no more or less than Boyle or Keating's who have been benched since his arrival.

Pish.

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Pish.

Really you must watch different games from me.

hibbeedavid
14-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Not saying it's purely just their fault but have any other players in our history been involved in more embarrassments or disasters as Hanlon and Stevenson? off the top of my head, between them I can think of SC semi 2007, numerous weak defeats to Hearts especially in the Calderwood-Fenlon era, SC final 2012, Malmö 2013, relegation 2014, playoff defeat 2015, losing 4-5 games versus part timers 2014-16, playoff defeat 2016,

They both give 100% etc but it's telling that these two have been mainstays of a club who have been in decline for the best part of a decade, think we need to move on

SeanWilson
14-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Really you must watch different games from me.

Neither Boyle or Keatings could lace his boots. Boyle is fast, that's absolutely it. Keatings has a good football brain and looks a half decent player, but to say he's better than AS is just daft.

Stokes hasn't worked out the way we'd have liked but statements like you're making are very stupid.

Stokesy's on fire
14-05-2016, 12:52 PM
lewis Stevenson a great long serving Hibernian player for me we must hold onto Lewis but as a squad player instead of a steady starter

Zazu62
14-05-2016, 12:54 PM
A new manager will come in and he will be first name on the team sheet because he tries/is a good trainer .. This will happen for the next 3/4 managers

Stokesy's on fire
14-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Not saying it's purely just their fault but have any other players in our history been involved in more embarrassments or disasters as Hanlon and Stevenson? off the top of my head, between them I can think of SC semi 2007, numerous weak defeats to Hearts especially in the Calderwood-Fenlon era, SC final 2012, Malmö 2013, relegation 2014, playoff defeat 2015, losing 4-5 games versus part timers 2014-16, playoff defeat 2016,

They both give 100% etc but it's telling that these two have been mainstays of a club who have been in decline for the best part of a decade, think we need to move on

Fraser Mullen was one of the serious offenders against Malmo!

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 12:58 PM

It isnt telling at all, Totti has been involved in more embarassing Roma defeats than anyone else, that doesnt make it his fault. Utterly pointless to bin 2 players for this reason.

mcfly
14-05-2016, 01:02 PM

Please list the games he's been brilliant - I think I must have missed those games

I'd rather we played Boyle at least he has pace. Stokes not for me

mmmmhibby
14-05-2016, 01:04 PM
lewis Stevenson a great long serving Hibernian player for me we must hold onto Lewis but as a squad player instead of a steady starter

Embrace change, solid servant n aw the rest of it doesn't paper over the cracks, he's simply not good enough. Since when has the criteria for a top player included "honest trier and 100% man". Technical ability trumps the lot. he's none.

mcfly
14-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Neither Boyle or Keatings could lace his boots. Boyle is fast, that's absolutely it. Keatings has a good football brain and looks a half decent player, but to say he's better than AS is just daft.

Stokes hasn't worked out the way we'd have liked but statements like you're making are very stupid.

Ok Anthony you have made ur point defending yourself but you have to agree your form has been poor since u arrived.

How many goals you scored?? 5 or 6

How many sitters u missed?? Shocker v Falkirk last tue.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Please list the games he's been brilliant - I think I must have missed those games

I'd rather we played Boyle at least he has pace. Stokes not for me
We should bring Alan O'brien back if pace is the only thing needed...

SeanWilson
14-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Ok Anthony you have made ur point defending yourself but you have to agree your form has been poor since u arrived.

How many goals you scored?? 5 or 6

How many sitters u missed?? Shocker v Falkirk last tue.

Constructive.:aok:

mcfly
14-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Constructive.:aok:

Thank you but you still haven't answered any questions

U make a statement telling us stokes has been brilliant - when??

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 01:29 PM

So Boyle has pace Keating's has a good football brain then what does Stokes have? based on his performances he has neither of these. He is an average player, if you see that different good on you.

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Pish.

Constructive :aok:

PISTOL1875
14-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Hanlon and Stevenson are two players who are part of the serious decline thats been on going for many many years.. YEh ok , they tried hard and put a shift in have they improved in their time here since their debuts ?? If they were that good then they wouldn't be at Hibs , they wouod be playing at a higher level.. The stench of mediocrity starts with thiose two and they have to be moved on....

NAE NOOKIE
14-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I love Lewis Stevenson to bits, in my time as a Hibs fan I can honestly say I have never seen a player with a better attitude .... its 100% in every game, the guy just never gives up.

But ..... For season after season his inability to beat a man with pace or skill has been a failing that has cost us. If the stats were available I would be willing to bet that in the last 5 seasons Lewis has had more possession of the ball in games than any other Hibs player and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I am utterly convinced that every player and manager in Scottish football knows that allowing Lewis possession of the ball from the keeper gives other teams the chance to close him down on half way, meaning the ball will invariably end up going back to a centre half or be played into a packed midfield, giving the opposition the chance to get organised at the back ..... even when he does get free his delivery is poor most of the time and if you force him on to his right foot he is lost ... look at the number of times Lewis gets the ball 10 yards from the by line and ends up passing the ball back the way.

Compare all that with David Murphy ..... coz that's what we need, a David Murphy type player.

trev the hat
14-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Lewis is a decent all rounder but we will need better to get out this league, we & him need to move on imo

hibee_girl
14-05-2016, 02:03 PM
All this talk of him moving on etc, it's probably won't happen seeing as he's got a year left on his contract

macd123
14-05-2016, 03:09 PM

The problem is he hasn't scored any important goals and that's what we signed him for. We replaced our only striker with pace with Stokes whose legs have gone. On top of that he's not exactly a model pro who can provide dressing room leadership. Not what we needed.

gillythehibby
14-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Constructive :aok:

Never mind him this whole thread pish. Always looking for scapegoats. The *** long throw should have bee defended by our centre halves. It wasnt and they scored. Fk all to do with Lewis. His nahor failing us his final ball that apart as goid as any left back since Murphy

Sergey
14-05-2016, 03:40 PM
I love Lewis Stevenson to bits, in my time as a Hibs fan I can honestly say I have never seen a player with a better attitude .... its 100% in every game, the guy just never gives up.

But ..... For season after season his inability to beat a man with pace or skill has been a failing that has cost us. If the stats were available I would be willing to bet that in the last 5 seasons Lewis has had more possession of the ball in games than any other Hibs player and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I am utterly convinced that every player and manager in Scottish football knows that allowing Lewis possession of the ball from the keeper gives other teams the chance to close him down on half way, meaning the ball will invariably end up going back to a centre half or be played into a packed midfield, giving the opposition the chance to get organised at the back ..... even when he does get free his delivery is poor most of the time and if you force him on to his right foot he is lost ... look at the number of times Lewis gets the ball 10 yards from the by line and ends up passing the ball back the way.

Compare all that with David Murphy ..... coz that's what we need, a David Murphy type player.

Decent post.

I've never been a fan of Stevenson, in fact I'd go as far to say I think he's a complete dud. He offers nothing whatsoever to the side and hasn't done so for years. He isn't a full back; he most certainly isn't an option out wide for the very reasons you state; he rarely or ever scores goals and he's basically been a passenger for season after season.

I thought he'd maybe found his level in the Scottish Championship, but he's even struggled in this tier against plumbers and delivery drivers.

I actually find it difficult to fathom out how folks can defend him. He's simply not very good and has been a hindrance for years.

gaz1875
14-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Decent post.

I've never been a fan of Stevenson, in fact I'd go as far to say I think he's a complete dud. He offers nothing whatsoever to the side and hasn't done so for years. He isn't a full back; he most certainly isn't an option out wide for the very reasons you state; he rarely or ever scores goals and he's basically been a passenger for season after season.

I thought he'd maybe found his level in the Scottish Championship, but he's even struggled in this tier against plumbers and delivery drivers.

I actually find it difficult to fathom out how folks can defend him. He's simply not very good and has been a hindrance for years.

They are all not very good, how can anyone defend any of the team bar possibly Henderson and a fit McGeouch. The system we play doesn't suit the defenders, midfielder's or strikers we have. When we changed the system a little we had some great performances, Dundee Utd and Hearts in the cup to name a couple.

Bishop Hibee
14-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Decent post.

It's time to be ruthless. Players who "love the club' and/or 'give 100%' are all very well but if they haven't got the ability to go with it then their time is up. Stevenson and Hanlon fall into that category for me. Hopefully they can leave as Hibs greats with Scottish Cup Winners medals.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 04:22 PM
They are all not very good, how can anyone defend any of the team bar possibly Henderson and a fit McGeouch. The system we play doesn't suit the defenders, midfielder's or strikers we have. When we changed the system a little we had some great performances, Dundee Utd and Hearts in the cup to name a couple.We played diamond against both of those teams in both games.

Steve-O
14-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Stevenson, Hanlon and Stokes are all ***** and should be binned. Cold hard facts.

Allant1981
14-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Somehow I can't see Falkirk being too interested in a tiny journeyman who every team in the league targets as an obvious weakness.

Journeyman? He has played for one team

Enough said
14-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Stevenson Hanlon were part of the team that got relegated they should of been emptied then along with handling Stanton and Harris...

mmmmhibby
14-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Decent post.

correct.

crash
14-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Journeyman? He has played for one team

Journeyman, definition; An experienced and competent,but routine and undistinguished performer.

I think you will find my description quite appropriate as per the dictionary definition above.

Peevemor
14-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Journeyman, definition; An experienced and competent,but routine and undistinguished performer.

I think you will find my description quite appropriate as per the dictionary definition above.
No, a journeyman is someone who works intermittently for different people, from the French "journée" (day).

crash
14-05-2016, 06:47 PM
No, a journeyman is someone who works intermittently for different people, from the French "journée" (day).

I've just quoted the dictionary definition,maybe you should look it up before posting.

RIP
14-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Let's slag off our first team players. That should gee them up before a cup final.

Allant1981
14-05-2016, 06:54 PM

You can quote from a dictionary if you want, if you are describing a footballer as a journeyman then it implies he has played for a number of clubs, not one club for his whole career

1987kev
14-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Let's slag off our first team players. That should gee them up before a cup final.

Do you think the players come on here??

LauderHibby
14-05-2016, 07:00 PM
He has been a great servant of the club but sadly should be squad player and probably for the midfield. He struggles badly at LB and gets exposed by height too easily. Having said that Gray is just as bad.

In our formation, our biggest failings sadly have been our GK, LB, RB, holding midfielder, no real partnership upfront. Gray and Stevenson most culpable due to reliance on them for width which is Stubbs' failing.

If we all remove emmotion from it you will see that this post is accurate and fair....bang on!

familyman
14-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Yes indeed while fitter he has been responsible for SO MANY CROSSES FLYING OVER THE BAR,
has not improved and we need a new face in that position ,well overdue in fact.

Beefster
14-05-2016, 07:45 PM
You can quote from a dictionary if you want, if you are describing a footballer as a journeyman then it implies he has played for a number of clubs, not one club for his whole career

So now you know that you've been using the word all wrong. You should probably say thanks to crash for putting you right.

Allant1981
14-05-2016, 08:12 PM
So now you know that you've been using the word all wrong. You should probably say thanks to crash for putting you right.

Eh, how do you figure that, he implied he is a journeyman when he clearly is not

hibsbollah
14-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Boring now.

WhileTheChief..
14-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Lol. Journeyman has nowt to do with playing for lots of different clubs.

Stevenson is a text book journeyman player. His name should be along
side the dictionary definition that Crash quoted.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Stevenson, Hanlon and Stokes are all ***** and should be binned. Cold hard facts.No, cold daft opinions.

Enough said
14-05-2016, 08:24 PM
No, cold daft opinions.
It's already in there mindset am afraid

Allant1981
14-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Lol. Journeyman has nowt to do with playing for lots of different clubs.

Stevenson is a text book journeyman player. His name should be along
side the dictionary definition that Crash quoted.

The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for a large number of different clubs during his career.[2]

Renfrew_Hibby
14-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Stevenson Hanlon were part of the team that got relegated they should of been emptied then along with handling Stanton and Harris...

The Arabs have binned basically their whole squad. Think McKinnon will put together a tight, hungry squad and they will hit the ground running. We'll be flapping about as usual getting beat down at Ayr or some other dump come August.

Enough said
14-05-2016, 08:31 PM
The Arabs have binned basically their whole squad. Think McKinnon will put together a tight, hungry squad and they will hit the ground running. We'll be flapping about as usual getting beat down at Ayr or some other dump come August.agreed, and the ones we do sign won't be fit enough same old hibs

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Go and point me to the positive post you've made since you joined here as I can't be bothered looking for it.

Enough said
14-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Go and point me to the positive post you've made since you joined here as I can't be bothered looking for it. not allowed an opinion???

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 08:48 PM
not allowed an opinion???

Aye definitely. But there must be something good to say about Hibs, no?

Enough said
14-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Aye definitely. But there must be something good to say about Hibs, no? club I love and will always support... Wouldn't change that mate, but there is something seriously wrong at our club, maybe next week things will change.

Sergey
14-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Aye definitely. But there must be something good to say about Hibs, no?

Can you list one (SC Final aside) ?

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 08:57 PM
club I love and will always support... Wouldn't change that mate, but there is something seriously wrong at our club, maybe next week things will change.

:aok:

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Can you list one (SC Final aside) ?

The "Keatings on fire, Bairns defence is terrified" song from last night :greengrin

Seriously...stadium, training centre, players worth some money. That's way better than our competitors. Just need to get it right on the pitch which is the hard bit and the bit we have failed miserably.

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Lewis Stevenson is 100% a trier and a grafter. This makes up for his lack of everything else. He is one of those rare footballers who has found a good level to ply his trade based on nothing but the aforementioned qualities.
Managers love triers and honest hard working professionals.
Also, like many others, I've come to accept Stevenson as part of the furniture, but there are pieces of furniture that have grown cob webs and that have been with us through some of the darkest seasons in our history.
Perhaps, now, is the time for a wee spring clean and the ordering of fresh furniture.
Alan Stubbs, should he remain in charge next season, is the housekeeper surveying the furniture. It's his call.

hibsitis
14-05-2016, 09:10 PM
The club been in decline for 6 years and he's been part of it the whole way simple not good enough time to move on

This

staunchhibby
14-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Sam stanton and alex harris are under contract so they will have to pay up remainder of contract if they do not want them.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Mad that folk think 1 player is to blame for our decline and moving him on will lift some voodoo curse. Move him on if we can find 2 better left backs, if not he stays.

matty_f
14-05-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm a big fan of Stevenson, however it has become increasingly evident that teams are happy to let him have the ball because nine times out of ten his cross breaks up our attack.

If we had someone who could put dangerous balls into the box with a frequency that gave the strikers encouragement to take up good positions, we'd have been close to winning the league IMHO.

Hi Heid Yin
14-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm a big fan of Stevenson, however it has become increasingly evident that teams are happy to let him have the ball because nine times out of ten his cross breaks up our attack.

If we had someone who could put dangerous balls into the box with a frequency that gave the strikers encouragement to take up good positions, we'd have been close to winning the league IMHO.

:top marks

Hiber-nation
14-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Not the same player since Malonga left, they linked up really well. I love the wee man and I'd be happy enough for him to stay but I think he'd be better off elsewhere now. Stubbs should have signed some competition for him.

mmmmhibby
15-05-2016, 08:02 AM

stop being picky, its a generalisation. He's *****.

mmmmhibby
15-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Too true, the last 2 winners of this league have done just that.....I fear rangers will target Stevenson next week, and as you say, they will be happy to let him have the ball.

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=mcfly;4686611]Please list the games he's been brilliant - I think I must have missed those games

I'd rather we played Boyle at least he has pace. Stokes not for me[/QUOTE

league cup final, 2007, man of the match against Huns last year and few other game. Blah

Big_Franck
15-05-2016, 08:16 AM
We absolutely need two new full backs in the summer. It's been one of our weak spots for a while now.

We'll also need a keeper, a target man and pacey wide attacking players as a start.

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Eeeeee this post is full of mentalist taking you rage out on a decent player.

J-C
15-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Here's a wee thought, when Stevenson won MOM in 2007, where exactly did he play and how did he play.

IIRC he played as a defensive left sided midfielder just in front of Murphy, do you remember in that game if it was Murphy's cultured left foot or Stevenson that was putting in wonderful crosses, yep your right it was Murphy. Stevenson played well that day because he and Murphy complimented each other, when Murphy bombed forward, Stevenson would slot into the LB position as cover and also negated a lot of attacks down that side. He was never a winger but a left sided midfielder, maybe there's a reason he isn't the greatest wingback in history because he's not naturally attack minded.

Get some bloody wingers in the team and let them attack and leave defenders to do just that, sounds radical but hey it might just work.

SpaceBob
15-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Here's a wee thought, when Stevenson won MOM in 2007, where exactly did he play and how did he play.

IIRC he played as a defensive left sided midfielder just in front of Murphy, do you remember in that game if it was Murphy's cultured left foot or Stevenson that was putting in wonderful crosses, yep your right it was Murphy. Stevenson played well that day because he and Murphy complimented each other, when Murphy bombed forward, Stevenson would slot into the LB position as cover and also negated a lot of attacks down that side. He was never a winger but a left sided midfielder, maybe there's a reason he isn't the greatest wingback in history because he's not naturally attack minded.

Get some bloody wingers in the team and let them attack and leave defenders to do just that, sounds radical but hey it might just work.

Spot on

rcarter1
15-05-2016, 08:28 AM

I like this idea. Stevenson for me is a very professional, committed player, fully capable of playing a role for Hibs. However, if we put him in goals, questions would be asked, likewise if he was played as a striker. I would much rather consider how we use the players that we have (all whom are capable players), in an effective system. I think there are a few gaps to fill in terms of this or that type of player, but getting rid of capable players like Stevenson sort of misses the point for me.

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 09:21 AM

:agree: Absolutely.

hibee_girl
15-05-2016, 09:22 AM

:top marks

seanoheimhin
15-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Don't think anyone could reasonably doubt his commitment and effort for the club, first class. Neither should he be a scapegoat for the team's failings.

Unfortunately, I think he's a seriously limited footballer and doesn't offer us enough technically or creativity-wise. Think a lot of people are defending him because of his record of loyalty and hard work, but don't think we'd miss him if there was a viable alternative.

paddy1875
15-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Don't think anyone could reasonably doubt his commitment and effort for the club, first class. Neither should he be a scapegoat for the team's failings. Unfortunately, I think he's a seriously limited footballer and doesn't offer us enough technically or creativity-wise. Think a lot of people are defending him because of his record of loyalty and hard work, but don't think we'd miss him if there was a viable alternative.

I agree with this, 100% every game. Can't question his work rate. He simply does not have the ability to play where he's playing.

If he crosses 10 balls, 3 make it into the box.

He'll stay at the club. He's a good professional but we need to find him a new position if this years tactics are played next year.

Allant1981
15-05-2016, 11:12 AM
stop being picky, its a generalisation. He's *****.

Ill do what i want and no he isnt

J-C
15-05-2016, 11:35 AM
I agree with this, 100% every game. Can't question his work rate. He simply does not have the ability to play where he's playing.

If he crosses 10 balls, 3 make it into the box.

He'll stay at the club. He's a good professional but we need to find him a new position if this years tactics are played next year.

If we stay with wingbacks as our main outlet then yes Lewis isn't what we need but play with wingers or natural wide men and Lewis is perfectly suited to playing as a good solid fullback, I also think he would do a really good job as DM, not great in the air but he reads the game very well and as we all know hates a tackle. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 11:37 AM
If we stay with wingbacks as our main outlet then yes Lewis isn't what we need but play with wingers or natural wide men and Lewis is perfectly suited to playing as a good solid fullback, I also think he would do a really good job as DM, not great in the air but he reads the game very well and as we all know hates a tackle. :greengrin

I think he'd do a great job as an out and out left back - we're relying on him to be our main focus of attack. IMO it's a major part of why we scored less goals than Rangers and Falkirk.

SJM
15-05-2016, 11:48 AM
I think he'd do a great job as an out and out left back - we're relying on him to be our main focus of attack. IMO it's a major part of why we scored less goals than Rangers and Falkirk.

A great job? Great? He can't defend and gets caught out of position. There is nothing great about Lewis apart from his attitude and running, cutting back and passing back.

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2016, 01:55 PM
A great job? Great? He can't defend and gets caught out of position. There is nothing great about Lewis apart from his attitude and running, cutting back and passing back.

Can't defend? Can't?

Diclonius
15-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Good player but I think we need to be making big changes and a new left back may be one of them.

How many times have we seen Stevenson get to the edge of the box only to put in a cross that either sails harmlessly over or doesn't even beat the first man?

hibs69
15-05-2016, 02:10 PM

That is absolutely spot on.

Spent an hour reading the forum this morning, and with some Fyvie love, and some Stevenson discontent, thank the sweet mother of Jaysus some of us aren't managers....... Me included.

hibee_girl
15-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Can't defend? I doubt he'd have passed 3 games for us never mind 300 if that was the case.

Aldo
15-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Lewis is a left back being asked to play as a wing back.

He is reliable, strong, fast and like every player passes the ball back if there is nothing on ahead of him.

Yeah his crossing is suspect and relatively poor but to say he always passes back is wrong.

He like other players get caught out of position yet I don't see the pitchforks or witch hunt for them.

We could do worse than him and better but if money could be spent elsewhere in the team I would be happy for Lewis to remain LB!

erin go bragh
15-05-2016, 04:14 PM
What frustrates me most about Lewis is he has pace to beat a man but never uses it . Yes he gives 100% every game but we need a better more offensive left back for next season . Same for the right back .

GGTTH

1987kev
15-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Why does everyone say Stevenson gives 100% every week surely every player gives 100% if no they would hounded out the club

J-C
15-05-2016, 04:54 PM

You've not been with us very long so you may want to go and look at some vids of his play, Lewis is a defensive minded left midfielder/full back, the next time you see him play look at his positional sense and his tackling, defending is one of the things he is good at but when you're asked to bomb down the wing and put crosses in, it's up to the CH or DM to cover your position, something they don't always do.

What frustrates me most about Lewis is he has pace to beat a man but never uses it . Yes he gives 100% every game but we need a better more offensive left back for next season . Same for the right back .

GGTTH

Lewis is not attack minded, he was brought up playing as a defensive minded left back, also there are times when he looks up and there's just no one there to cross to, Stokes sits too deep and the midfield don't always get up enough to join in, so he stops and looks inside for support.

Why does everyone say Stevenson gives 100% every week surely every player gives 100% if no they would hounded out the club

It's one of those quotes everyone uses to show he's a grafter for the team, probably over used.

Smartie
15-05-2016, 05:10 PM

GGTTH

That's my frustration with him.

We've seen it more than ever these past few weeks - we get the ball into a semi-threatening position and all it takes is for him to take it forward past his man and get a ball over. Ok, he might get tackled - big deal, players get tackled. I get really frustrated that he never seems to want to try and take his man on and when he turns back the way it ALWAYS takes the sting out of our attacks. More than any other factor imo, this is why we look like we play indirect, side to side tippy-tappy football.

And I say that as a Lewis fan. Excellent player, bundles of energy, great tackler and imo a lot better in the final third than he gets credit for. He'd be ideal as an attacking fullback backing up a winger down that side - just not as our primary attacking outlet.

J-C
15-05-2016, 05:18 PM
That's my frustration with him.

We've seen it more than ever these past few weeks - we get the ball into a semi-threatening position and all it takes is for him to take it forward past his man and get a ball over. Ok, he might get tackled - big deal, players get tackled. I get really frustrated that he never seems to want to try and take his man on and when he turns back the way it ALWAYS takes the sting out of our attacks. More than any other factor imo, this is why we look like we play indirect, side to side tippy-tappy football.

And I say that as a Lewis fan. Excellent player, bundles of energy, great tackler and imo a lot better in the final third than he gets credit for. He'd be ideal as an attacking fullback backing up a winger down that side - just not as our primary attacking outlet.

:agree: Nail on head.

BanjoWill
15-05-2016, 05:22 PM
The main problem with Friday was that goals were not scored when the opportunities arose. Lots of possession/territory but no ruthlessness.

jacomo
15-05-2016, 07:07 PM

Stokes has been brilliant, apart from all the games he hasn't scored or had much impact. Unfortunately, that's a long list.

Has he made a decisive contribution in any big game this season?

Smartie
15-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Stokes has been brilliant, apart from all the games he hasn't scored or had much impact. Unfortunately, that's a long list.

Has he made a decisive contribution in any big game this season?

His glorious cross to Keatings on Wednesday would have been a decisive contribution if the defence had any idea how to do their job.

jdships
15-05-2016, 09:29 PM
After reading all these posts it comes across to me that this equally describes Gray
How many goals have come from that side with misstimed/missed tackle/being out of position ?
Yes he can cross a ball but that is about that !!
Two full backs needed - please but keep Lewis as a squad player , Gray can go for me

The Baldmans Comb
15-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Stevenson is utterly mediocre. Its a team game but he is a lightweight who cost Hibs the 1st and 3rd goal against Falkirk.

If you think Stevenson is the solution you haven't identified the problem.

pacoluna
16-05-2016, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=J-C;4688858]You've not been with us very long so you may want to go and look at some vids of his play, Lewis is a defensive minded left midfielder/full back, the next time you see him play look at his positional sense and his tackling, defending is one of the things he is good at but when you're asked to bomb down the wing and put crosses in, it's up to the CH or DM to cover your position, something they don't always do.

Just because someone hasn't been on this for long doesn't mean they haven't been watching hibs for years :confused:. I have watched hibs for longer than stevenson has played for hibs but have only been on this for a couple of months. Hibs.net does not represent every HIbernian fan, in case you didn't know.

SeanWilson
16-05-2016, 07:54 AM
The main problem with Friday was that goals were not scored when the opportunities arose. Lots of possession/territory but no ruthlessness.

Nah, it's one of many issues. The defence has been suspect all season and every time I watch that goal with the last kick of the ball I cringe, three defenders and a midfielder let the ball bounce through them. It's a routine throw in to the box which should be hoofed in to row Z but ends up in the back of the net.

500miles
16-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Asking one player to play 50 games a season is a tough ask. I don't think it's any coincidence that we started losing goals during the period of midweek and weekend games The lack of competition and support at left back is the problem, rather than the player.

heretoday
16-05-2016, 04:00 PM
After reading all these posts it comes across to me that this equally describes Gray
How many goals have come from that side with misstimed/missed tackle/being out of position ?
Yes he can cross a ball but that is about that !!
Two full backs needed - please but keep Lewis as a squad player , Gray can go for me

Personally I'd keep Gray and empty Stevenson but I'm not fussy. You can ditch the whole defence if you want.

staunchhibby
16-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Gray has been caught out a few times when he goes for a stroll up the wing leaving us exposed.

Zazu62
16-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Asking one player to play 50 games a season is a tough ask. I don't think it's any coincidence that we started losing goals during the period of midweek and weekend games The lack of competition and support at left back is the problem, rather than the player.

So we haven't got another left back that can play ? What is that actually all about ?

500miles
16-05-2016, 05:54 PM
So we haven't got another left back that can play ? What is that actually all about ?

We've got Hanlon and Fontaine. It would be a waste to take Paul out of the centre, and Fontaine has struggled with lower back problems this season.

Colin191078
16-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Can never question the boys commitment and effort but ability wise as a modern day footballer, absolutely hopeless

bigwheel
16-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Can never question the boys commitment and effort but ability wise as a modern day footballer, absolutely hopeless

a lot better a footballer than you are a poster that's for sure.

Colin191078
16-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Aldo
16-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Farf!!

Please define a modern day footballer!! I am curious to know your thoughts on this matter please!!

AFWIW he's far from hopeless!!

J-C
16-05-2016, 07:51 PM

Did you not see the wonderful piece of skill he showed in the 1st Falkirk game, a high ball from their half about 30 yards, killed dead with his left instep and next touch was a pass upfield, I was 15 yards from it, to me that isn't someone absolutely hopeless.

KWJ
16-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Farf!!

Please define a modern day footballer!! I am curious to know your thoughts on this matter please!!

AFWIW he's far from hopeless!!

Think it's someone whose able to run up and down the pitch the full game, can trap a ball and make a pass.

He's probably the only modern footballer we've got :greengrin

paddy1875
16-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Did you not see the wonderful piece of skill he showed in the 1st Falkirk game, a high ball from their half about 30 yards, killed dead with his left instep and next touch was a pass upfield, I was 15 yards from it, to me that isn't someone absolutely hopeless.

A professional footballer controlling a 30 yard high ball and playing a pass forward is not skill. It's a basic attribute for a player.

I think what most are saying, including myself. Is that he isint hopeless and would be a good squad player for us next year. Sadly what he has been asked to do this year and last he doesn't have the confidence to do it.

He's a great role model off the field and gives nothing but his all for hibs. But if the same tactics are taken into next season we'd be better off with someone else playing wing back

Colin191078
16-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Did you not see the wonderful piece of skill he showed in the 1st Falkirk game, a high ball from their half about 30 yards, killed dead with his left instep and next touch was a pass upfield, I was 15 yards from it, to me that isn't someone absolutely hopeless.Must be 20 times in each match he has to pass the ball backwards due to his inability to go past the opposition full back, We were supposed to be rangers main challengers this season, look at their left back in comparison to ours, goals scored and assists, night and day

Eyemouth Hibby
16-05-2016, 10:38 PM
For me he's been part of the decline that's happened to Hibs. The Board have made a succession of managers have a make do and mend mentality for a number of years and Stevenson is the epitome of this mentality. It's very much a case of he'll do, because I'd rather buy a striker than a left back but the lad does an alright job so I'll stick him in. If we had a Board that seriously cared about the club and invested in it properly we would have bought a decent left back about 8 years ago. One that beats a man and puts decent balls in the box. Not the lad's fault really but David Murphy was probably the last decent left back we've had

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2016, 12:35 AM
For me he's been part of the decline that's happened to Hibs. The Board have made a succession of managers have a make do and mend mentality for a number of years and Stevenson is the epitome of this mentality. It's very much a case of he'll do, because I'd rather buy a striker than a left back but the lad does an alright job so I'll stick him in. If we had a Board that seriously cared about the club and invested in it properly we would have bought a decent left back about 8 years ago. One that beats a man and puts decent balls in the box. Not the lad's fault really but David Murphy was probably the last decent left back we've hadStevenson always had a place in the squad, even when Murphy was here, he still has a place in the squad, we absolutely will not find a better back up left back in this division.

polarbear
17-05-2016, 01:56 AM
For me he's been part of the decline that's happened to Hibs. The Board have made a succession of managers have a make do and mend mentality for a number of years and Stevenson is the epitome of this mentality. It's very much a case of he'll do, because I'd rather buy a striker than a left back but the lad does an alright job so I'll stick him in. If we had a Board that seriously cared about the club and invested in it properly we would have bought a decent left back about 8 years ago. One that beats a man and puts decent balls in the box. Not the lad's fault really but David Murphy was probably the last decent left back we've had

Correct on all points.
He's an honest pro and I like the guy but he's not good enough.

bigwheel
17-05-2016, 06:33 AM
Correct on all points.
He's an honest pro and I like the guy but he's not good enough.

Do you really think someone who plays over 300 first team games is not good enough....ask one of his team mates what they think about Lewis - then you will perhaps understand how highly regarded he is as a player ...

SJM
17-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Do you really think someone who plays over 300 first team games is not good enough....ask one of his team mates what they think about Lewis - then you will perhaps understand how highly regarded he is as a player ...

He's regarded extremely high as an honest professional. It doesn't make him good enough though. We need better and to be ruthless.

polarbear
17-05-2016, 07:15 AM

Being popular doesn't make him a good player. We all like the guy but deep down, we all know he's not the best. We are where we are because our players are not good enough. He's been a big part of everything that's gone wrong over the last few years. He tries hard but he's weak defensively. Hibs are the biggest club he'll ever play for and he gave it his best shot. He'd be back up at best if it was up to me.

Brightside
17-05-2016, 07:21 AM
A professional footballer controlling a 30 yard high ball and playing a pass forward is not skill. It's a basic attribute for a player.

I think what most are saying, including myself. Is that he isint hopeless and would be a good squad player for us next year. Sadly what he has been asked to do this year and last he doesn't have the confidence to do it.

He's a great role model off the field and gives nothing but his all for hibs. But if the same tactics are taken into next season we'd be better off with someone else playing wing back
You don't watch many games if you think that is a basic skill in Scotland. I agree it should be but it isn't!

macca70
17-05-2016, 07:23 AM
He's lacking the pace and skill to take a man on.

Has got himself into many good positions but when he is then faced with taking on a defender to whip a ball in, he stops and turns back.

It happens every game, links up with other players, gets the ball 20-25 yards out on the wing then stops and turns back as he doesn't have the pace or skill to go past a man, so frustrating.

Then the times he does manage to get a cross in, it hits the 1st defender or goes out the park.

Kato
17-05-2016, 07:29 AM

Look at how far Hibs have fallen over the course of those 300. Eyemouth is correct.

JimBHibees
17-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Not the same player since Malonga left, they linked up really well. I love the wee man and I'd be happy enough for him to stay but I think he'd be better off elsewhere now. Stubbs should have signed some competition for him.

Definitely.

J-C
17-05-2016, 09:21 AM

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Lewis and Gray are not natural wingbacks, both are being asked to do a job not in their nature, let them be normal fullbacks and defend and they'd easily do their job, we need wingers/natural wide midfielders.

Must be 20 times in each match he has to pass the ball backwards due to his inability to go past the opposition full back, We were supposed to be rangers main challengers this season, look at their left back in comparison to ours, goals scored and assists, night and day

He passes back because the players meant to be in front of him are either not there or covered, our movement at times is quite atrocious, all stood like statues.

He's lacking the pace and skill to take a man on.

Has got himself into many good positions but when he is then faced with taking on a defender to whip a ball in, he stops and turns back.

It happens every game, links up with other players, gets the ball 20-25 yards out on the wing then stops and turns back as he doesn't have the pace or skill to go past a man, so frustrating.

Then the times he does manage to get a cross in, it hits the 1st defender or goes out the park.

He does have the pace and skill but again it's not in his psyche, he is a defensive minded left sided midfielder, let him defend not attack, personally I think he'd make a cracking defensive midfielder, solid tackler and reads the game well.

macca70
17-05-2016, 10:39 AM
He does have the pace and skill but again it's not in his psyche, he is a defensive minded left sided midfielder, let him defend not attack, personally I think he'd make a cracking defensive midfielder, solid tackler and reads the game well.

Well defensive minded fullbacks are not what we require in this league when we are battering teams and dominating possession. Look at why Rangers have been so effective, Wallace and Tavernier have destroyed teams when they are going forward.

Fullbacks need to be adaptable, pace and skill to go forward when required but defending capability when we don't have the ball.

I recall him being tried as a holding midfielder a while ago and he was exactly the same; 110% commitment, got stuck in but very average.

Aldo
17-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Must be 20 times in each match he has to pass the ball backwards due to his inability to go past the opposition full back, We were supposed to be rangers main challengers this season, look at their left back in comparison to ours, goals scored and assists, night and day

Omg! What a crock. I'm sorry but the reason he has to pass back or even sideways is because no one forward is showing for him.

We play a narrow MF and don't play a winger as such in front of him with the pressure of both defending and attacking on the flanks is left to our full backs!

As for Der Hun you will probably find that they have players showing for the ball allowing him to pass and move.

Maybe you should drop Lewis a message and tell him to constantly pass forward regardless.

He might not be the greatest but why they hell would he just pass forward for the sake of it to lose possession.

I despair sometimes!

J-C
17-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Well defensive minded fullbacks are not what we require in this league when we are battering teams and dominating possession. Look at why Rangers have been so effective, Wallace and Tavernier have destroyed teams when they are going forward.

Fullbacks need to be adaptable, pace and skill to go forward when required but defending capability when we don't have the ball.

I recall him being tried as a holding midfielder a while ago and he was exactly the same; 110% commitment, got stuck in but very average.

Your argument is lost right here, Tavernier is superb going forward but absolutely stinking as a defender, what we needed at Hibs was natural width, pace and skill you get from wide midfielders or wingers, Carmichael has been injured and Boyle has never been given a real decent run in the team. Apart fro Tavernier and Wallace, Rangers also have O'Halloran and Mackay as wide players, while we've went with Gray and Stevenson, so don't put all this on wingbcks not doing their bit, put it on Stubbs for continuing with a tactic that's flawed.

I've never seen him used as a DM before, he's only ever played left midfield/left back or the disastrous attempt by Fenlon to play him at RB.

SpaceBob
17-05-2016, 04:49 PM
I have said it before and I'll say it again, Lewis and Gray are not natural wingbacks, both are being asked to do a job not in their nature, let them be normal fullbacks and defend and they'd easily do their job, we need wingers/natural wide midfielders.

He passes back because the players meant to be in front of him are either not there or covered, our movement at times is quite atrocious, all stood like statues.

This

Itsnoteasy
17-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Off course he'll be hurting. Good servant, but had his day.

Colin191078
17-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Omg! What a crock. I'm sorry but the reason he has to pass back or even sideways is because no one forward is showing for him.

We play a narrow MF and don't play a winger as such in front of him with the pressure of both defending and attacking on the flanks is left to our full backs!

As for Der Hun you will probably find that they have players showing for the ball allowing him to pass and move.

Maybe you should drop Lewis a message and tell him to constantly pass forward regardless.

He might not be the greatest but why they hell would he just pass forward for the sake of it to lose possession.

I despair sometimes!
I'm not saying play the ball forward just for the sake of it, why can't he do something crazy and attempt to get to the byline and get a ball across the face of goal in the hope we get a chance of a goal instead of going backwards every single time

Aldo
17-05-2016, 08:06 PM
I'm not saying play the ball forward just for the sake of it, why can't he do something crazy and attempt to get to the byline and get a ball across the face of goal in the hope we get a chance of a goal instead of going backwards every single time

Why do something crazy and lose it and lose his position.

I don't know if you were at Starks Park but he out ran the defence and put in 2 or 3 crosses but no one could get into box.

He doesn't go back every single time you've not watched him if you think that. If nothing's on keep possession and if that means a backwards pass, turning inside and starting again!

O'Rourke3
17-05-2016, 08:07 PM

In the games I've seen the forward pass is generally made near the opposition box and the backward pass the half way line. Are you suggesting dribbles to the opposition goal line?

allezsauzee
17-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Funny how managers have came and went over the past 10 years with great regularity and with them a stack of players who havent been good enough but all have Lewis as a mainstay. It really makes me cringe how every time it goes tits up for us the usual suspects who have never taken to him for some reason delight in putting him up as the scapegoat.

keep the faith
17-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Off course he'll be hurting. Good servant, but had his day.

Had his day??? Clubs in better leagues than hibs would love to have lewis Stevenson in their squad. OTT reactions all over the place since Friday.

SJM
17-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Funny how managers have came and went over the past 10 years with great regularity and with them a stack of players who havent been good enough but all have Lewis as a mainstay. It really makes me cringe how every time it goes tits up for us the usual suspects who have never taken to him for some reason delight in putting him up as the scapegoat.

Aye they managers have been a rip roaring success right enough.

We could and need better.

SJM
17-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Had his day??? Clubs in better leagues than hibs would love to gave lewis Stevenson in their squad. OTT reactions all over the place since Friday.

So they would.

FitbaFolkKen
17-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Let them defend and they will do their job?

4/5 play-off goals against us could have been defended by those two if they defended correctly.

First goal Gray far too deep and playing Miller onside.

Third goal Gray too deep so Stevenson wrong side of man.

Fourth goal Gray header to edge of box when behind or out wide were safer options.

Fifth goal Stevenson gets bullied and falkirk get the flick on.

Ross county game we got caught at right back as well.

I Like both players but I think these positions are the ones that offer us the greatest room for improvement in our squad.

KWJ
17-05-2016, 09:58 PM
They are both good players for us but the problem is that the formations we use require them to pretty much be key figures.

It's rare for either of them to have a bad game overall but it's also rare for them to be the MOTM that we'd need for how much they are on the ball.

hibbymick
18-05-2016, 12:44 AM
Has any other club ever made a bid for Stevenson ?

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Has any other club ever made a bid for Stevenson ?Why would this matter? Being good enough for Hibs doesn't mean he is good enough for the clubs who normally make bids for our players.

Look at the clubs we have sold players to for fees in the last 10 years

Rangers
Celtic
Burnley
Lokomotiv Moscow
West Brom
Birmingham City
Bristol City
Middlesbrough

It is really surprising those type of clubs haven't come in for Lewis? He isn't that level of player (upper championship, premiership or Europe in the case of the bigot brothers), that doesn't really mean he isn't good enough for us. If Lewis was available on a free transfer he would have plenty of suitors (Dundee United and Inverness rumoured last time his contract was running out).

Danderhall Hibs
18-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Has any other club ever made a bid for Stevenson ?

Not that I know of but then the Hearts fans seem to rate Paterson as a multi million pound player and no one has ever bid for him.

mmmmhibby
18-05-2016, 07:53 AM
am not a fan of lewis, however this has been done to death......fans are split regarding Lewis, that aint good. However he will play his obligatory role on Saturday, heres hoping he has the game of his life.

cocobryce
20-05-2016, 08:21 AM
For somebody who's been played out of position for almost his entire career, he's done alright. Started life as defensive centre midfielder, kicking Mikey Stewart out the team. Doesn't have the positional sense, strength or height for left back role. Would be interesting to see how he'd get on back in midfield - probably keep the ball better than Fyvie.

We definitely need a new left back in the summer. That way Lewis can provide cover, either there or in midfield, or he could play left mid without having the defensive responsibility. He played a blinder there for Butcher in probably Butcher's only worthwhile game, a 3-0 win over Killie at home.

Have often wondered how Hanlon would get on at left back, despite lack of pace.

Andy74
20-05-2016, 11:11 AM
For somebody who's been played out of position for almost his entire career, he's done alright. Started life as defensive centre midfielder, kicking Mikey Stewart out the team. Doesn't have the positional sense, strength or height for left back role. Would be interesting to see how he'd get on back in midfield - probably keep the ball better than Fyvie.

We definitely need a new left back in the summer. That way Lewis can provide cover, either there or in midfield, or he could play left mid without having the defensive responsibility. He played a blinder there for Butcher in probably Butcher's only worthwhile game, a 3-0 win over Killie at home.

Have often wondered how Hanlon would get on at left back, despite lack of pace.

He actually started as a left back. He appeared in pre season games in France back in the day and played left back.

He got moved about a bit after that but I don't think it is true to say he has played most of his career out of position.

Unseen work
20-05-2016, 11:45 AM
I think some people don't realise how little options he has when he has the ball.

Most left backs have the options of

Ball into the winger, either feet or an area
Big centre forward to hit
Sitting centre mid
Attacking mid
Defender

Lewis for us, has about 3 players wanting the ball all standing within about 3 yards of each other; most of them will just give him it straight back.

If we got a winger and a striker in you would see a massive difference in his play

FranckSuzy
20-05-2016, 11:50 AM
While they wear the green and white of Hibernian, ALL the players will get my 100% backing, especially on the eve of the Scottish Cup final. GGTTH.