PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: STOKES ON HIS CONTRIBUTION TO THE TEAM

RSS Bot
12-05-2016, 04:20 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6495)

adhibs
12-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Hes due a goal or two. Play off and a cup winner one would be nice

Just Jimmy
12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Why the need to publish this? Most of the guys I know agree with this. Just keep at it and your play will do the talking. Start by smashing a hatrick tomorrow Tony.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rcarter1
12-05-2016, 07:55 PM
He should read Rambo II the book. The boy is trying to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow, the more he thinks about it the more frustrated he becomes. One day he just shoots and hey presto its a bullseye.

Stokes: You are GOING to score a hat trick on Friday (and then the Cup final, and then against Killie.)

JimBHibees
12-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Quite simply a wonderful footballer. Keep it up Stokesy. Goals will come.

Andy74
12-05-2016, 10:28 PM

Wonderful in what sense?

He's on to about 1 goal in 10 in the second tier.

Sorry, but I expected a bit more than running about a lot and having some nice touches 40 yards from goal.

If he hadn't been here before and came with the hype he did he would have been ripped apart so far.

Sir David Gray
12-05-2016, 10:39 PM

He's potentially only got another two games to play for us!

monktonharp
12-05-2016, 10:51 PM
I think he has played some outstanding games recently!. was a bit off form on Wed. but still had a hand in a goal. I was totally gobsmacked that night, when this guy leaving the game with about 8 minutes to go said: Stokes, your the worst player I've ever seen!!!!!! ?:confused:

monktonharp
12-05-2016, 10:51 PM
He's potentially only got another two games to play for us!could still be four

Sir David Gray
12-05-2016, 11:04 PM
I think he has played some outstanding games recently!. was a bit off form on Wed. but still had a hand in a goal. I was totally gobsmacked that night, when this guy leaving the game with about 8 minutes to go said: Stokes, your the worst player I've ever seen!!!!!! ?:confused:

Clearly wasn't around much under Calderwood, Butcher or Fenlon then.

bigstu
12-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Just has not scored enough. Him & Jason together just doesn't work!

Hope he finds his scoring form soon.

Ozyhibby
13-05-2016, 12:18 AM
I think he is just about to explode and become an absolute Hibs legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
13-05-2016, 12:22 AM
Bizarre that our club feels the need to talk up and highlight Stokes contribution. The talking should be done on the pitch.
Stokes has put in a good shift for our team, but to date the goals simply have not arrived at the rate I had hoped for way back in January. I want so much for him to get that hat trick to make up for (in part) his relative dearth of goals. He really should be banging them in left, right and centre at this level.
It's also hard not to mention his pairing with Cummings. They simply have not delivered or clicked often enough. Unless he or Cummings or both together in the same game put teams like Falkirk to the sword (with goals to spare) then they will forever be talked of in terms of "failed partnership" and Alan Stubbs legacy will forever be tainted for stubbornly persisting with playing them together and not finding the right formula up front.
Come on Stokesy, please knock in a hat trick against Houstons Hammer throwers!!

Beefster
13-05-2016, 05:45 AM
He should read Rambo II the book.

Watching the movie is bad enough. No one should be forced to read the book of the film.

Pete
13-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Enough of this cowering and inward reflection every time we say something.

It's time to be bold.

flash
13-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Enough of this cowering and inward reflection every time we say something.

It's time to be bold.

Correct. Too many people love their own opinion more than they love Hibs.

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 06:16 AM
Wonderful in what sense?

Sorry, but I expected a bit more than running about a lot and having some nice touches 40 yards from goal.

If he hadn't been here before and came with the hype he did he would have been ripped apart so far.

The ability he shows the great link up play with his team mates. You must be blind if you can't see that. Expected him to score more but he is contributing to the team big time especially now Dylan is back. I know you are still pining for King Dom :greengrin but that shouldn't blind yoursel to Stokes ability.

Hiber-nation
13-05-2016, 06:17 AM

Nail on heid.

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 06:18 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Big_Franck
13-05-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm sure it wasn't Stubbs' idea to have yet another player miles from goal showing some nice touches but rarely doing anything decisive and very rarely scoring. His miss against Falkirk was criminal as well. I'd like to have seen the reaction on here had Fyvie missed that.

So far Stokes has been the complete opposite of what I expected. I thought he'd turn up and hardly get out of second gear, looking half-arsd but banging in the goals. Instead he puts in a real shift, defends from the front, fights our corner well but has scored 1 in the last 10 games. Still time to be a hero though.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-05-2016, 07:51 AM
Wonderful in what sense?

If you cant see that he is a quality player you need your eyes checked. I think half the problem is people expected the same stokes we had previously, but under lennon he became more of a forward, a number 10 than a number 9.

A good example was him ripping us apart in the cip final playing celtic and setting up their first two goals.

Of course i would have like him to score more, but he is quality.

Incidentally, malongas goal return this season was fairly disappointing too was it not?

Andy74
13-05-2016, 08:06 AM
If you cant see that he is a quality player you need your eyes checked. I think half the problem is people expected the same stokes we had previously, but under lennon he became more of a forward, a number 10 than a number 9.

A good example was him ripping us apart in the cip final playing celtic and setting up their first two goals.

Of course i would have like him to score more, but he is quality.

Incidentally, malongas goal return this season was fairly disappointing too was it not?

It was a wee bit but his overall contribution to the team was far greater than Stokes. His overall scoring record when playing regularly was good.

This is what I don't get - Stokes scores 1 in 10 but runs about a lot and has some nice touches miles from goal and he is a wonderful footballer. Malonga was frustrating by all accounts despite being far more effective.

rcarter1
13-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Watching the movie is bad enough. No one should be forced to read the book of the film.

The film was nonsense of course. The book was actually not bad, I was taken by the don't think - just do it philosophy regarding hand eye coordinated actions.

Ozyhibby
13-05-2016, 08:20 AM
They have both scored 6 I think and played a similar amount of games.
Dom never came close to contributing the kind of work rate and quality we are seeing from Stokes now though.
And we know from the rest of Stokes career that he normally scores more. With Dom, we were the most prolific part of his career.
The goals are coming. Hopefully starting tonight.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 08:27 AM
They have both scored 6 I think and played a similar amount of games.
Dom never came close to contributing the kind of work rate and quality we are seeing from Stokes now though.
And we know from the rest of Stokes career that he normally scores more. With Dom, we were the most prolific part of his career.
The goals are coming. Hopefully starting tonight.

I see him working hard but sorry, I am totally missing the quality of his contribution. Is this resulting in any goals or chances for anyone?

That's nonsense about Dom never contributing quality. That's fine but when those same people see something in Stokes recent play with us, that's a bit odd.

Big_Franck
13-05-2016, 08:27 AM
It was a wee bit but his overall contribution to the team was far greater than Stokes. His overall scoring record when playing regularly was good.

This is what I don't get - Stokes scores 1 in 10 but runs about a lot and has some nice touches miles from goal and he is a wonderful footballer. Malonga was frustrating by all accounts despite being far more effective.

That's your opinion. I'm not sure i'd agree. In my opinion Malonga was great at times and a waste of a jersey at times. So far Stokes hasn't shone in the way Malonga occassionally did but has put in 7 out of 10 performances most weeks, unlike Malonga IMO. It's a difficult one.

Our problem is we replaced a striker who had struggled for goals this season with another striker who has struggled to score.

superfurryhibby
13-05-2016, 08:32 AM

Ok, you're clearly desperate so I'll bite. 1 in 10?

Malonga averaged 1 in 3. Stokes has 5 in 14. Nothing to choose between them in ratio, although I strongly suspect Stokes would score more if he was fully match fit

On that basis what makes you think Malonga was more effective?

Just admit it Andy, your relentlessly anti Stokes, I can't imagine why?

HibeeDaz6270
13-05-2016, 09:17 AM

Malonga for me was a very good player, However Stokes is also very good., The difference between the 2 is the work rate of Stokes, which i did not expect. I think he has been brilliant for us despite perhaps not scoring as many goals as we had initially hoped. His all round game however has been excellent and a very good signing indeed.

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 09:42 AM
I see him working hard but sorry, I am totally missing the quality of his contribution. Is this resulting in any goals or chances for anyone?

That's nonsense about Dom never contributing quality. That's fine but when those same people see something in Stokes recent play with us, that's a bit odd.

Set up the first goal on Tuesday, should have scored with his great chance and almost scored with a long range shot. Also was a key player in some of our best moves.
He is playing well at the moment hopefully we see more end product in next few games. For the record Dom was a very good player also but more inconsistent than Stokes overall IMO.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Ok, you're clearly desperate so I'll bite. 1 in 10?

Malonga averaged 1 in 3. Stokes has 5 in 14. Nothing to choose between them in ratio, although I strongly suspect Stokes would score more if he was fully match fit

On that basis what makes you think Malonga was more effective?

Just admit it Andy, your relentlessly anti Stokes, I can't imagine why?

I'm not anti Stokes at all, I was delighted when he signed, but I'm sure most would have to admit his contribution has been massively short of what we would have expected.

I'm just a bit puzzled as to how we come to the conclusion that he is being that effective for us despite not scoring. I'd fully expect him to set up some goals and chances as well as score them at this level - doing so once or twice every few weeks is disappointing.

I think if you watched Malonga at all you would be able to see what he brought to the team in holding the ball up, creating things and allowing others players to come into the game.

Folk disagree on that, which is fine, but I don't follow how those same people could assess Stokes' contribution as being any better. It's worse.

Ozyhibby
13-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Malonga and Stokes are about the same age. Their careers to date show that Malonga could not lace Stokes boots.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Malonga and Stokes are about the same age. Their careers to date show that Malonga could not lace Stokes boots.

Okay, so makes Stokes contribution so far even more disappointing then.

Paloschi
13-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Malonga is a better player than Stokes if we are talking about right now.

flash
13-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Malonga is a better player than Stokes if we are talking about right now.

He really isn't.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 11:46 AM
He really isn't.

On performances for Hibs he is right.

I'm struggling to see how anyone could come up with a different answer.

Shrekko
13-05-2016, 11:56 AM
On performances for Hibs he is right.

I think Dom's cult figure status has blurred the memory of some fans regarding a lot of his performances. I enjoyed him when he was 'on it' but he quite often wasnt.

Stokes has not only produced consistently good performances but has also proven to be a real team player with a great attitude and work rate. Going into a big play-off game I'd take Stokes all day long.

Pete
13-05-2016, 12:00 PM

That doesn't necessarily mean you are correct. ;-)

Personally, I think they're both great players and it's a toss up as to what one I'd pick if I had the choice.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I think Dom's cult figure status has blurred the memory of some fans regarding a lot of his performances. I enjoyed him when he was 'on it' but he quite often wasnt.

Stokes has not only produced consistently good performances but has also proven to be a real team player with a great attitude and work rate. Going into a big play-off game I'd take Stokes all day long.

Sorry but this just illustrates the different standards to which these two players are being held to.

Malonga was far more consistent, did much more for the team when he played, held the ball better and created more, yet he is described as being 'on it' occasionally and not a team player.

Stokes has contributed very little in the scheme of things but seems to be talked about as being consistent. It is crazy.

Shrekko
13-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Sorry but this just illustrates the different standards to which these two players are being held to.

Malonga was far more consistent, did much more for the team when he played, held the ball better and created more, yet he is described as being 'on it' occasionally and not a team player.

Stokes has contributed very little in the scheme of things but seems to be talked about as being consistent. It is crazy.

You think someone having a different opinion to you is 'crazy' but you've slightly twisted what I've said.

Malonga actually wasn't a regular starter this season and was quite often subbed during his time at Hibs- that tells you all you need to know about his consistency. If it had been based purely on ability he should have been first name on the team-sheet.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 12:24 PM
If you think Malonga was consistent i'd say that opinion is at odds with the opinion of the majority of Hibs fans that I know. For me Malonga was anything but consistent.

I'm aware that was the opinion, I don't believe it is or was based in any fact.

FromTheCapital
13-05-2016, 12:35 PM
I'd go as far as saying that Stokes has consistently been one of our best performers for months now.

CRAZYHIBBY
13-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Listen ..stokes isn't a bad player but listen he's not scored enough goals and listen i don't think he's half the player he used to be and listen he needs to stop saying listen every 5 minutes

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-05-2016, 12:47 PM

I liked malonga, but he did have some games when he was anonymous. But generally, his like up was good.

Its not really worth arguing, all about opinions and if you think all stokes does is run around and have aome nice flicks, then we can just agree ro disagree

Thankfully the manager appears ro think different.

patlowe
13-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Obviously Stokes is a decent footballer. However, the problem for me is that he used to be an out-and-out goalscorer and little else, whereas now he (or Stubbs) sees himself as some sort of deep-lying forward. Promising attacks often break down because (it looks as though) he wants to show good he is or he tries things in wide or deeper positions that he's maybe not quite good enough to pull off. I would rather see him playing the percentages a bit more and getting himself in goal-scoring positions, like in his first spell with us.

bruno
13-05-2016, 01:07 PM
He really isn't.

in my humble opinion Stokes is a 7 out of 10 every game

Malonga could be a 9 but could also be a 3 or 4

I would rather go with Stokes than Malonga if I had the choice tonight

Andy74
13-05-2016, 01:07 PM
I liked malonga, but he did have some games when he was anonymous. But generally, his like up was good.

Its not really worth arguing, all about opinions and if you think all stokes does is run around and have aome nice flicks, then we can just agree ro disagree

Thankfully the manager appears ro think different.

He does and his judgment on the striker positions in January has contributed to his continuing in the role being debated.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-05-2016, 01:22 PM
He does and his judgment on the striker positions in January has contributed to his continuing in the role being debated.

No way. We havent looked rifht up front since alagui got injured - stubbs team has never had an effective partnership.

Cummings and malonga seldom linked effectively - imo because cummings doesnt really play with other people.

Our ineffectiveness going forward and lack of goals predates stokes by 18 months, but i agree it is the single biggest reaaon stubbs job is questiones

Andy74
13-05-2016, 01:31 PM

I'd take a punt that in reality on the same level of actual performance folk that would judge Malonga a 3 would give Stokes a 7.

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Absolutely spot on. No idea why we are still talking about Malonga anyway he wanted to leave for family reasons and the club let him go. If the club had demanded him stay you would be guessing over what sort of performances you would got IMO.

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 01:35 PM

You do seem determined to use this as a stick to beat Stubbs for some reason. Odd IMO.

Andy74
13-05-2016, 01:48 PM
You do seem determined to use this as a stick to beat Stubbs for some reason. Odd IMO.

Yep, our striking situation is a pretty big stick to beat him with isn't it? Our options just now are very limited and our main two haven't scored in the 3 play off games so far. It might cost him his job, might not if all goes well, hopefully, tonight.

bigwheel
13-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Your love for Malonga is consistent, I'll give you that - you seem to imply he would have made us better in the second half of the season...at his best he was unplayable and wonderful to watch...the reality is though, this season he was not a regular starter, or a consistent performer. No way he would start ahead of Stokes - in any team....

on a related topic, why do you use it against Stubbs, yet never against Malonga, who asked to leave?

Andy74
13-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Your love for Malonga is consistent, I'll give you that - you seem to imply he would have made us better in the second half of the season...at his best he was unplayable and wonderful to watch...the reality is though, this season he was not a regular starter, or a consistent performer. No way he would start ahead of Stokes - in any team....

on a related topic, why do you use it against Stubbs, yet never against Malonga, who asked to leave?

He generally made us a better team when he was in it, simple as that.

It was Stubbs who agreed to him going, when he was under contract. Stubbs believed he had better and seems to have made it clear that he was happy to let him go, so don't really blame him for going.

Anyway, I think time to get back to concentrating on who we do have now and hopefully Stokes has a cracking game tonight.

MWHIBBIES
13-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I expected far more from Stokes than what we've got so far, he needs to get scoring before it is too late.

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 02:03 PM
He generally made us a better team when he was in it, simple as that.

It was Stubbs who agreed to him going, when he was under contract. Stubbs believed he had better and seems to have made it clear that he was happy to let him go, so don't really blame him for going.

Anyway, I think time to get back to concentrating on who we do have now and hopefully Stokes has a cracking game tonight.

Do you genuinely think Malonga would have played well if Hibs had forced him to stay on when he didnt want to? He was moody at the best of times.