PDA

View Full Version : Scottish attendances

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 10:20 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160512/66f7dad33e747a307c59c1b4f5fbf2c0.jpg

Scottish attendance still the best in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
12-05-2016, 10:29 AM

Statistics damn statistics and lies.

Frazerbob
12-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Remove the bigots and it wouldn't look as good.

calumhibee1
12-05-2016, 10:34 AM

Same as if you removed Ajax and PSV from the Dutch league, or Man United and Arsenal from England, or Real and Barca from Spain?

green&left
12-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Can say that for most leagues in Europe TBF.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Sevco are not included as they are in championship. Neither are we.
People just don't want to accept that attendances in Scotland are good for the size of the population.

hibsdaft
12-05-2016, 10:45 AM
always wondered how many do actually travel from outwith scotland to the old firm's games (i.e. from south/north Ireland, and to a lesser extent from England too). must be at least a small factor in those stats.

Frazerbob
12-05-2016, 10:47 AM
People just don't want to accept that attendances in Scotland are good for the size of the population.

Easy tiger

Killiehibbie
12-05-2016, 10:48 AM
always wondered how many do actually travel from outwith scotland to the old firm's games (i.e. from south/north Ireland, and to a lesser extent from England too). must be at least a small factor in those stats.I remember being told it was a few thousand each for home games travelling from Ireland.

Frazerbob
12-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Fair point re some of the other leagues also having 2 or 3 teams carrying much bigger supports than the rest however Scotland must the biggest imbalance. The Infirm average 40-50k, next biggest is 2 or 3 with 12-15k then it's 3-5k. Spain, Holland etc don't have that large a drop off do they?

hibs69
12-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Out on top by 0.3% and that's without us or The Rangers in there? Flippin walked that attendance league thing.

Must admit though, with only Celtic, Jambofkrs, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee Utd, it is strange that we are ahead of the smaller populated countries like Holland......., (PSV, AJAX, Feyenoord, AZ, Utrecht)

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Out on top by 0.3% and that's without us or The Rangers in there? Flippin walked that attendance league thing.

Must admit though, with only Celtic, Jambofkrs, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee Utd, it is strange that we are ahead of the smaller populated countries like Holland......., (PSV, AJAX, Feyenoord, AZ, Utrecht)

There are 17million people in Holland which is more than 3 times the size of Scotland.
What may skew the figures is that it is only top leagues and a lot of people in England watch lower league footy.
That would only really affect England though as lower league footy on the continent is not well supported.

hibs69
12-05-2016, 11:17 AM
17 mill in holland? Must brush up on my "pub quiz type" knowledge. That'll answer that though, cheers.

Sprouleflyer
12-05-2016, 11:19 AM
always wondered how many do actually travel from outwith scotland to the old firm's games (i.e. from south/north Ireland, and to a lesser extent from England too). must be at least a small factor in those stats.

BBC interviewed Rangers fans outside Hampden after the SC old firm game. The first 3 interviewed all had strong Northern Irish accents. The next one had an english accent and the final one thought the result was pure dead brilliant, so no guessing where he came from!! :greengrin

Doesn't answer your question but there is no doubt that they do get a large following from other parts of the UK.

Hibstrooper
12-05-2016, 11:25 AM
17 mill in holland? Must brush up on my "pub quiz type" knowledge. That'll answer that though, cheers.

It would answer it however you wouldn't get any points for your answer.

The population of Holland is just over 6 million
The population of The Netherlands is 17 million

:nerd:

hibs69
12-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Hibstrooper is really Kevin from the Eggheads! :greengrin

Must admit, I thought Holland & Netherlands were both the same. I know Holland & Barrett is a herbal medicine store.

Diclonius
12-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Yeah, but, but, but, Scottish football is *****!!!

jgl07
12-05-2016, 11:33 AM

I was ticked off by a Dutch former colleague for referring to Holland rather than the Netherlands. He explained that Holland is just the northern parts of the Netherlands.

What do they call the southern parts the, I asked.

He thought for a minute and said 'Belgium'!

hibs0666
12-05-2016, 11:39 AM

It's one of the most densely populated countries in the work too.

jgl07
12-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Do the stats relate to this season or last season? This season is still ongoing in most countries.

If they relate to last season, then the Jamboids are not included either.

Are there any figures for the comparison between Scottish Premiership and Championship for last season and this?

Oscar T Grouch
12-05-2016, 11:45 AM

:agree:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-05-2016, 11:51 AM
There are 17million people in Holland which is more than 3 times the size of Scotland.
What may skew the figures is that it is only top leagues and a lot of people in England watch lower league footy.
That would only really affect England though as lower league footy on the continent is not well supported.

An important point. Given England is home to two of the five biggest leagues in europe, and given how strong its pyramid is, id be amazed if they were not far and away the biggest followers of football in europe or even the world

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Wonder if this is the real attendances or the ones Celtic and Hearts claim they get.

hibsdaft
12-05-2016, 12:49 PM
this is quite interesting, sets our averages for each league in europe, including lower leagues:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

obviously we have a fairly unique scenario in our second tier just now, but if you add our top two tiers together and compare them to other countries' top two tiers we compare favourably to most.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 12:49 PM
An important point. Given England is home to two of the five biggest leagues in europe, and given how strong its pyramid is, id be amazed if they were not far and away the biggest followers of football in europe or even the world

I've seen a report before and they are still below us but it does bring them up the table a bit.

Hibby Bairn
12-05-2016, 01:01 PM

It is our stadia that are too big. Makes it look and feel as if poorly attended.

jgl07
12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
It is our stadia that are too big. Makes it look and feel as if poorly attended.
It's stupid comments like yours that are the real problem. A few empty seats is a Yam obsession that is also shared by Man United fans.

Barcelona have around 20,000 empty seats regularly but who complains about that?

Milan and Internationale have 30-40,000 empty seats.

Pete
12-05-2016, 09:15 PM
If you include the top four leagues instead of just the top tier then England would surely be right up there. Probably even higher if you include all the Sergey divisions.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-05-2016, 09:35 PM
It's stupid comments like yours that are the real problem. A few empty seats is a Yam obsession that is also shared by Man United fans.

Barcelona have around 20,000 empty seats regularly but who complains about that?

Milan and Internationale have 30-40,000 empty seats.

Agree with him - empty grounds with no atmosphere is a big turn off.

Its another example of how the of skew our game - teams like killie building 18000 seat grounds then giving half to OF.

I think it makes a huge difference - and do you think italian fitba's poor crowds are a sign od strength or weakness?

And using the biggest club stadium in europe isnt a good example.

Why do hibs fans on here get excited at rhe prospect of a sell-out, atneaster road or hampden?

jgl07
12-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Agree with him - empty grounds with no atmosphere is a big turn off.

Its another example of how the of skew our game - teams like killie building 18000 seat grounds then giving half to OF.

I think it makes a huge difference - and do you think italian fitba's poor crowds are a sign of strength or weakness?

And using the biggest club stadium in europe isnt a good example.

Why do hibs fans on here get excited at the prospect of a sell-out, at easter road or hampden?
Was there anything wrong with the atmosphere last Tuesday or Saturday for that matter?

Hibs had a stadium with a capacity of 25,000 and average attendances of around 7,000 for anyone but the Yams or the OF when I started watching regularly. Crowds of under 3,500 were not unknown. Twenty years earlier Easter Road held 50,000 plus and most crowds were little better than today.

It is an affectation by those with nothing better to do.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Was there anything wrong with the atmosphere last Tuesday or Saturday for that matter?

Hibs had a stadium with a capacity of 25,000 and average attendances of around 7,000 for anyone but the Yams or the OF when I started watching regularly. Crowds of under 3,500 were not unknown. Twenty years earlier Easter Road held 50,000 plus and most crowds were little better than today.

It is an affectation by those with nothing better to do.

So you agree that grounds are too big then?

Do you really not think full grounds are better than (often more than) half empty grounds?

jgl07
12-05-2016, 10:29 PM
So you agree that grounds are too big then?

Do you really not think full grounds are better than (often more than) half empty grounds?
No and not necessarily.

I would prefer a 21,000 (or even 25,000) capacity Easter Road than one with 12,000 capacity.

Bishop Hibee
12-05-2016, 10:52 PM
There must be a mad percentage of Scots either play or watch live some level of football on a weekend during the season.