PDA

View Full Version : New stadium for the Dons (NHC)

steakbake
12-05-2016, 09:58 AM
I see that Aberdeen are looking to build a new stadium and complex. I lived in Aberdeen over 10 years ago and they were talking about it then. This has to be the longest 'new stadium' announcement in years. Maybe it's a way to get over the disappointment of not sustaining a league challenge, who knows!

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 10:02 AM
£40m is the figure being banded about. Interesting to see what role the council have in funding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2016, 10:06 AM
I see that Aberdeen are looking to build a new stadium and complex. I lived in Aberdeen over 10 years ago and they were talking about it then. This has to be the longest 'new stadium' announcement in years. Maybe it's a way to get over the disappointment of not sustaining a league challenge, who knows!

They got quite far down the road with their last attempt to move south of Aberdeen but they eventually failed on planning permission. This one is out towards Westhill.

green&left
12-05-2016, 10:19 AM
25 minute drive from Aberdeen bang in the middle of farm land.

F&@k that for a laugh.

40m also includes a training academy. Capacity rumoured to be 19k which seems daft.

Spudster
12-05-2016, 10:19 AM
£40m is the figure being banded about. Interesting to see what role the council have in funding it.

The council up here are a mess. No chance of funding IMO. From the fans perspective it will be much easier to get to the west of the city (than the option south of the city) but the land between Westhill and Kingswells will be ALOT more expensive.

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2016, 10:22 AM
The council up here are a mess. No chance of funding IMO. From the fans perspective it will be much easier to get to the west of the city (than the option south of the city) but the land between Westhill and Kingswells will be ALOT more expensive.

There's a hell of a lot of houses going up out there. Maybe Stewart Milne Homes has some to spare?

GreenLake
12-05-2016, 10:37 AM
They won't find it so easy to finance this project with the oil price collapse.

hibsdaft
12-05-2016, 10:43 AM
i don't know the area, but a stadium that far out of the city will surely result in traffic chaos?

iwasthere1972
12-05-2016, 10:54 AM
i don't know the area, but a stadium that far out of the city will surely result in traffic chaos?

Only needs one farm to leave their gates open. Trying to round up 300 sheep could be a problem.

Flock that.

Sean1875
12-05-2016, 10:55 AM
genuine question, what's the reason behind the move?

steakbake
12-05-2016, 11:02 AM

No idea... absolutely no idea.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 11:09 AM
How far outside Aberdeen are we talking here? Ten miles?

GreenCastle
12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
I am all for Scottish teams improving stadia - too many stadiums up here are in poor condition and not up to great standards.

Not quite sure where the Dons will find the funds but would be a massive boost to them.

Their current stadium is needing upgraded but I am sure I've seen numerous stories over the years about a stadium happening then nothing happens..

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Less than that, prob 5 or 6 to the centre.

StevieT
12-05-2016, 11:18 AM

The new by pass will take you close enough

SJM
12-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Pittordie is a dump that Milne wants to build houses over?

Sprouleflyer
12-05-2016, 11:23 AM

This far

jgl07
12-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Pittodrie is a complete mess. It must cost an absolute fortune to maintain.

The main stand could have safety certificate issues similar to Tynecastle. It may be full of asbestos.

They have been talking about moving for a long time. The City Council have recommended a move and the club hope that selling the land will clear some of their debts.

It must have been ten years ago that the last proposal was floated. Regardless of planning permission I doubt of the funds were in place. Since then the Aberdeen economy has taken a real dive. The City Council were always strapped for cash and even more so now.

Sprouleflyer
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM

The main stand could have safety certificate issues similar to Tynecastle. It may be full of asbestos.

They have been talking about moving for a long time. The City Council have recommended a move and the club hope that selling the land will clear some of their debts.

It must have been ten years ago that the last proposal was floated. Regardless of planning permission I doubt of the funds were in place. Since then the Aberdeen economy has taken a real dive. The City Council were always strapped for cash and even more so now.

Thought Aberdeen had all their debts cleared by a fan a couple of years ago?

Michael
12-05-2016, 11:29 AM
£40m is a massive bill for any Scottish club. Doesn't seem feasible.

SJM
12-05-2016, 11:35 AM

It will if Milne covers it with the sale of Pittodrie to himself and land around the stadium development.

Sean1875
12-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Cheers lads, Pittodrie is surprisingly one of the grounds I've not actually been to with Hibs so didn't know what the nick of it was like. makes more sense now in fairness!

TrinityHibs
12-05-2016, 11:56 AM
They got quite far down the road with their last attempt to move south of Aberdeen but they eventually failed on planning permission. This one is out towards Westhill.

They had planning permission subject to completion of a S.75 agreement. Despite what Milne says planning had nothing to do with Cove proceeding.

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2016, 11:58 AM
It will if Milne covers it with the sale of Pittodrie to himself and land around the stadium development.

The new development includes a training complex. I think they're looking for council money to make it a "community facility".

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2016, 11:59 AM
They had planning permission subject to completion of a S.75 agreement. Despite what Milne says planning had nothing to do with Cove proceeding.

Oh right, sorry, just going by press comments. What's a s.75?

TrinityHibs
12-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Oh right, sorry, just going by press comments. What's a s.75?

Its a legal agreement which is binding on the land. It covers the provision of off site works or financial contributions. Milne secured a minded to grant consent without having a contract on the land.

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Its a legal agreement which is binding on the land. It covers the provision of off site works or financial contributions. Milne secured a minded to grant consent without having a contract on the land.

Got you. Sneaky bit of spin from the Wigster there then.

Stokesy's on fire
12-05-2016, 01:25 PM
The new development includes a training complex. I think they're looking for council money to make it a "community facility".

They keep trying to pull the wool over the councils eyes regarding this community facility.

All pie in the sky if you ask me wont happen. Kingswells and Westhill are both nice areas they won't want minks taking a slash in their back gardens.

Stokesy's on fire
12-05-2016, 01:33 PM
They won't find it so easy to finance this project with the oil price collapse.

wrong the Oil price falls and the land value falls with it.

marinello59
12-05-2016, 01:38 PM

The council won't fund it. Aberdeen tried to get council funding for ther recently binned new ground by calling it a community stadium. Aberdeen City Council in one of their rare correct decisions told them to bolt.

Mikey
29-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Some movement on this again..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-42831219

SirDavidsNapper
29-01-2018, 11:36 AM
New stadium looks pretty shan tbh

BH Hibs
29-01-2018, 12:06 PM
I think they will get approval this time due to the amount of people and organisations coming out to support it in the last couple of weeks.

Mikey
29-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Plans approved.

green&left
29-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Scary the amount of Aberdeen fans lapping this up. No-one questioning why Pittodrie has been left to crumble to the extent their only option is too move 7.5 miles out the city.

SirDavidsNapper
29-01-2018, 04:06 PM
I'd imagine their small home flock will get even smaller at the new stadium. 10k seats shoud do it.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Where are they gonna get 50m to build it???

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 04:13 PM

I suspect being owned by a Building "tycoon" will make that problem easier to solve....

HoboHarry
29-01-2018, 04:17 PM
I suspect being owned by a Building "tycoon" will make that problem easier to solve....
Pretty sure Stewart Milne won't be building this for no profit.......

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Pretty sure Stewart Milne won't be building this for no profit.......

yes true...but he will know how to finance major development schemes....

GreenCastle
29-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Stadium looks pretty bland.

I think it's good for the Scottish game as not many clubs have improved stadiums over the last few years.

You only have to visit some away grounds and the quality is pretty awful in most.

Obviously Aberdeen being a rival it affects Hibs but longer term I think if the league is to develop it needs a strong backing from teams like Hibs and Aberdeen to challenge the RanTic monopoly this country seems to have returned to.

Panda
29-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Stadium looks pretty bland.

I think it's good for the Scottish game as not many clubs have improved stadiums over the last few years.

You only have to visit some away grounds and the quality is pretty awful in most.

Obviously Aberdeen being a rival it affects Hibs but longer term I think if the league is to develop it needs a strong backing from teams like Hibs and Aberdeen to challenge the RanTic monopoly this country seems to have returned to.

What's bland about it? The stadium design isn't actually set in stone yet anyway, but 20,000 capacity, safe standing, TV screens both in the stadium and outside, fanzone, supporters bar, museum, memorial garden and cafe open seven days a week is "bland"?

Video of it here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxmYWKiT7s

Jones28
29-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Demolish pittodrie and build flats on the land, plus I'm sure their benefactors that are the main source of finance will not doubt be able to help.

GillyHibee
29-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Agree with an earlier post here about stadiums being improved for the league to improve. The facilities up here are shocking, just need to look at Tynecastle, Firhill (wooden stand!!!) and thats the top league. Im pretty sure Cowdenbeath gets used for stock car racing?

better facilities would surely attract better players and encourage youth to play more. Kinda whats needed?

GlesgaeHibby
29-01-2018, 06:06 PM

Sale of Pitoddrie expected to generate around £18m. Still leaves a massive shortfall in funding.

Onion
29-01-2018, 06:12 PM

Agreed, unless it caters for a big increase in paying customers or hike in prices, just can't see how any club can afford £40+m on a fitbaw stadium when they have one already. Must be selling old ground for ££££m ?

jgl07
29-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Not with the crowds Aberdeen attract!

Michael
29-01-2018, 06:15 PM
They should re-develop Pittodrie and just build the training centre on the new land. I guarantee that stadium will be more than half empty every week - which is a shame because it's a great design.

jgl07
29-01-2018, 06:20 PM
They should re-develop Pittodrie and just build the training centre on the new land. I guarantee that stadium will be more than half empty every week - which is a shame because it's a great design.
They haven't got room to redevelop Pittodrie. It is hemmed in on all sides. I suspect that replacing the Main Stand would result in a big fall in capacity and cost a fortune.

Onion
29-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Scary the amount of Aberdeen fans lapping this up. No-one questioning why Pittodrie has been left to crumble to the extent their only option is too move 7.5 miles out the city.

No issue with clubs investing in infrastructure as long as it's self-funded (no government or council help) and they cut their cloth accordingly when it comes to player wages etc.

Hibs were lucky with the Golden Generation generating £ millions and adjusted their spending while Hearts screwed pensioners, charities, small businesses to fund their's. Where are Aberdeen getting £20+m plus able to pay top wages from crowds lower than Hibs ?

Michael
29-01-2018, 06:24 PM
They haven't got room to redevelop Pittodrie. It is hemmed in on all sides. I suspect that replacing the Main Stand would result in a big fall in capacity and cost a fortune.

Hearts managed it.

Keith_M
29-01-2018, 06:58 PM

But they already have a capacity of just over 20k, despite not fully utilizing the corners of the ground.

Surely that means there's enough space to build a new stadium on the same site.

:dunno:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Demolish pittodrie and build flats on the land, plus I'm sure their benefactors that are the main source of finance will not doubt be able to help.

Theres help and theres help though.

Even if they got £20m for 'todders (unlikely id have thought) they will still need to find £30m (assuming costs dont increase, again unlikely) - thats a hell of a lot of benefactors or debt...

Nakedmanoncrack
29-01-2018, 07:07 PM
All the sheep seem to be lapping it up, likely to be a disaster for them in the long run though.