PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Utd deducted 3 points,

fat freddy
11-05-2016, 05:11 PM
For having two incorrectly registered youngsters in their squad for a meaningless match. It does make you wonder why the punishment for a decade of incorrectly registered players representing Rangers was so lenient when you compare the two cases. Dundee Utd chairman resigns from SFA board in utter disgust. Can't say I blame him.

JJP
11-05-2016, 05:23 PM
I can't believe there hasn't been some sort of revolution in Scottish football. Incredible double standards when compared to the old Rangers (RIP).

G B Young
11-05-2016, 05:29 PM
And how about the blind eye that was turned to Danny Wilson turning out for Hearts in the League Cup semi-final when he was already cup tied? There was never a clear-cut answer provided for that one.

In saying that, did Celtic not worm their way back into European competition a few years back when, despite the tie being dead and buried, their opponents brought on an ineligibe sub?

Smartie
11-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Did we not have somebody on this site who was in regular contact with someone at the SFA in relation to Hearts doing this very thing last season?

I'm sure they got a player back from loan before Christmas and were allowed to play him without any problems.

Obviously 3 points is of no consequence given they've been relegated but £30k seems a bit steep for a mistake like this. That's probably 100 or so season tickets, money they shouldn't really have to do without for a mistake that hasn't adversely affected anyone in any way. I'd be raging if I'd stumped up for a ST following their relegation only for that money to be sent to the SFA to pay a fine for an admin error. Especially when Rangers (as they were then known) seemed to have carte blanche to do whatever they wanted regarding player registrations for several years.

eastcoasthibby
11-05-2016, 05:38 PM
I can't believe there hasn't been some sort of revolution in Scottish football. Incredible double standards when compared to the old Rangers (RIP).

Fair play to Thomson for resigning and making a bit of a stance against the shambolic and arrogant egotists that run (or is ruin) Scottish football. Consistency and fairness are key elements of getting it right in managing a business as it gives it credibility. This Dundee United outcome is not proportionate in the punishment when you put it up against SEVCO and THE PBS mob,
They are accountable to no one and that needs to change of we want to progress our national game.

Billy Whizz
11-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Got what they deserved, break the rules and take the punishment

Mr White
11-05-2016, 05:57 PM
And how about the blind eye that was turned to Danny Wilson turning out for Hearts in the League Cup semi-final when he was already cup tied? There was never a clear-cut answer provided for that one.

He wasn't cup tied but he should have been suspended and the explanation given at the time didn't really make sense ie he served it with liverpool in an un-named match despite the rules stating the suspension was specific to the Scottish league cup.

That was quite different to this situation though as hearts were informed prior to the match that he was clear to play so the fault lay with the association rather than the club IIRC.

sh00byd00
11-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Did we not have somebody on this site who was in regular contact with someone at the SFA in relation to Hearts doing this very thing last season?

I'm sure they got a player back from loan before Christmas and were allowed to play him without any problems.

Obviously 3 points is of no consequence given they've been relegated but £30k seems a bit steep for a mistake like this. That's probably 100 or so season tickets, money they shouldn't really have to do without for a mistake that hasn't adversely affected anyone in any way. I'd be raging if I'd stumped up for a ST following their relegation only for that money to be sent to the SFA to pay a fine for an admin error. Especially when Rangers (as they were then known) seemed to have carte blanche to do whatever they wanted regarding player registrations for several years.

Pretty sure some of that 30k is suspended.

As for using ineligible players, just like we all wanted Hearts to get hammered for doing, every team should be docked and fined if they use ineligible players. I'm sorry, but if clubs only got a rap on the knuckles for doing so, where's the deterrent? UEFA applied a heftier punishment on that club Celtic played and they arguably lost out on millions.

The points deduction should have been applied next season when it would have actually mattered. No idea why Utd are moaning about that part as it makes zero difference to Utd's season.

MB62
12-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Deduct three points from a club that is already relegated! Wow, United must be absolutely gutted at this most severe of punishments, and I don't think.

This has been done purely so the SFA can say to any future club, 'well we fined Dundee United three points so all's fair' (especially to any club who might fall foul of this rule that happen to be challenging celtc or the The Rangers.

SJM
12-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Deduct three points from a club that is already relegated! Wow, United must be absolutely gutted at this most severe of punishments, and I don't think.

This has been done purely so the SFA can say to any future club, 'well we fined Dundee United three points so all's fair' (especially to any club who might fall foul of this rule that happen to be challenging celtc or the The Rangers.

They are gutted enough for their chairman to quit the sfa board.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 11:01 AM
They are gutted enough for their chairman to quit the sfa board.

It's the spfl board and he would have to leave anyway because they were relegated.

My_Wife_Camille
12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
United already relegated = Easy decision to make with no consequences. Would never have happened if they still had something to play for

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2016, 11:07 AM
It's the spfl board and he would have to leave anyway because they were relegated.

Aren't we all in the SPFL? I'm sure Anne Budge was trying to get on the board when Hearts were in the Championship.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 11:08 AM
I've no sympathy for united here.
Strange that same rules were not applied to the old Rangers though. That's what's wrong here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2016, 11:11 AM

I think the ruling here is the player returned from loan after 1st April. I think if he'd have returned bofore, then all would be fine. No supersub appearance in the cup final for Jamie Insall then :wink:

SJM
12-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Whys that? Isn't that dude from Alloa not on the same board?

Hibs Class
12-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Raith, Alloa and Brechin all represented. Not sure if all appointments are for one season only, but in any event I think ST resignation is clearly a protest to make a point - that DUFC have been harshly treated in comparison to some other cases, most notably the old huns

Andy Bee
12-05-2016, 11:46 AM

Thomson is one of the Premier League representatives so would have to re-apply as a Championship rep as UTD are relegated.

Billy Whizz
12-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Were the points given to Inverness

flash
12-05-2016, 11:51 AM
The resignation is clearly a desperate attempt to get back in favour with the fans.
Good luck with that one.

Glesgahibby
12-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Once the BTC appeal is quashed
the revolution shall begin:greengrin

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Were the points given to Inverness

No. In my opinion they should have been though.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Once the BTC appeal is quashed
the revolution shall begin:greengrin

Let's hope so

Billy Whizz
12-05-2016, 01:04 PM
No. In my opinion they should have been though.

Why? Seems a bizarre decision then, result should have been overturned

cabbageandribs1875
12-05-2016, 01:27 PM
i see Ray McKinnon has signed a 3-year contract for the arabs

SJM
12-05-2016, 01:36 PM
i see Ray McKinnon has signed a 3-year contract for the arabs

Can see this being a fantastic appointment for them.

LancsHibs
12-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Will this points deduction be carried over to next season?

SJM
12-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Will this points deduction be carried over to next season?

Nah, already been applied.

Caversham Green
12-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Pretty sure some of that 30k is suspended.

As for using ineligible players, just like we all wanted Hearts to get hammered for doing, every team should be docked and fined if they use ineligible players. I'm sorry, but if clubs only got a rap on the knuckles for doing so, where's the deterrent? UEFA applied a heftier punishment on that club Celtic played and they arguably lost out on millions.

The points deduction should have been applied next season when it would have actually mattered. No idea why Utd are moaning about that part as it makes zero difference to Utd's season.

Did Hearts get hammered for it?

ekhibee
12-05-2016, 04:35 PM
I've no sympathy for united here.
Strange that same rules were not applied to the old Rangers though. That's what's wrong here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got every sympathy with them. They're both Dundee Utd players, the clubs that had them on loan clearly didn't have a problem with returning them, but I totally agree with you about the double standards.

cabbageandribs1875
12-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Can see this being a fantastic appointment for them.

gonna be a tough one next season if we don't go up :agree:

Coults1875
12-05-2016, 05:26 PM
gonna be a tough one next season if we don't go up :agree:

We said this last year about st mirren. I personally think they'll end up mid table with st Mirren providing more of a challenge up top.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-05-2016, 06:24 PM
I had £30 on ICT HT-FT, wheres my refund?!! :-)