PDA

View Full Version : Goals to shots ratio

CallumLaidlaw
11-05-2016, 10:19 AM
We regularly talk about how we need loads of shots to score a goal, while our opponents seem to just need 1 shot, so I thought I'd have a wee look at the season so far (from our first league cup game) and theres some quite interesting results, particularly the first stat.

So,

51 games, we've had 683 shots at goal and scored 83. Thats a success rate of 12.16%
Opponents, they've had 344 shots, and scored 44 goals. Thats a success rate of 12.79%
So our opponents have a higher success rate, but only marginally. I expected it to be hugely different.

I then split it into first half and second half of the season.

Aug-Dec - 22 games
Us - 301 shots, 41 goals - 13.62% success rate
Opposition - 161 shots, 15 goals - 9.32% success rate.
So we were actually a decent bit better than our opponents at taking our chances, and that was mirrored by our good run up to christmas.

Jan-May - 29 Games
Us - 382 shots, 42 goals - 10.99% success rate
Opponent - 183 shots, 29 goals - 15.84% success rate
So we had 80 shots more than the first half of the season but only 1 goal more. While our opponents were much more clinical.

I then had a look at how we done against our 2 main rivals.

Rangers - 4 games
Us - 28 shots, 7 goals - 25% success rate
Them - 42 shots, 8 goals - 19.04% success rate
So we have been much more clinical in games against rangers than normally in the season, and more clinical than they've been against us.

Falkirk - 5 games
Us - 71 shots, 7 goals - 9.86% success rate
Them - 35 shots, 6 goals - 17.14 success rate.
So they are nearly twice as clinical than we are in these games. Its the 71 shots that gets me. We've scored the same number of goals against Rangers in 43 shots less!!!

Just thought I'd share!

greenlex
11-05-2016, 10:21 AM
We regularly talk about how we need loads of shots to score a goal, while our opponents seem to just need 1 shot, so I thought I'd have a wee look at the season so far (from our first league cup game) and theres some quite interesting results, particularly the first stat.

So,

51 games, we've had 683 shots at goal and scored 83. Thats a success rate of 12.16%
Opponents, they've had 344 shots, and scored 44 goals. Thats a success rate of 12.79%
So our opponents have a higher success rate, but only marginally. I expected it to be hugely different.

Aug-Dec - 22 games
So we were actually a decent bit better than our opponents at taking our chances, and that was mirrored by our good run up to christmas.

Jan-May - 29 Games
So we had 80 shots more than the first half of the season but only 1 goal more. While our opponents were much more clinical.

Rangers - 4 games
So we have been much more clinical in games against rangers than normally in the season, and more clinical than they've been against us.

Falkirk - 5 games
So they are nearly twice as clinical than we are in these games. Its the 71 shots that gets me. We've scored the same number of goals against Rangers in 43 shots less!!!

Just thought I'd share!
Our real lack of one on one success is really perplexing. Cummings in particular. Quite horrific in fact.

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 10:29 AM

So,

Aug-Dec - 22 games

Jan-May - 29 Games

Rangers - 4 games

Falkirk - 5 games

Just thought I'd share!

rangers dont play to spoil and often leave us ample space in behind for time and clinical finishing. Falkirk play with 8-10 players back when we attack them. I thought we did a decent job of carving them last night, just need to make it stck on Friday,

dangermouse
11-05-2016, 10:29 AM

So,

Aug-Dec - 22 games

Jan-May - 29 Games

Rangers - 4 games

Falkirk - 5 games

Just thought I'd share!

Lies, damned lies and statistics. The only thing that counts is the score on the top left (or in Friday's case bottom left or is it right) of the screen. As long as we score more than them I don't care how many shots each team has.

Your statistics may change if you only included shots on target.

GreenCastle
11-05-2016, 10:32 AM

So,

Aug-Dec - 22 games

Jan-May - 29 Games

Rangers - 4 games

Falkirk - 5 games

Just thought I'd share!

Fair play for working all this out.

But as Leicester have shown this season stats aren't everything and don't tell the full story.

Some of our chances are very good chances - Cummings open goal for example - 1v1s / free headers from corners.

For me the possession to shots ratio isn't good enough - would nearly prefer to be more direct and shoot from distance more often.

Onion
11-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Shots on target would be interesting.

The 4 goals last night and our pen decision sums the season up for me. We huff and puff and eventually score 2 decent goals (while missing sitters), Falkirk get a wild deflection for their 1st, and Hibs gift them the 2nd.

JPrinty
11-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Shots on target would be more interesting! Teams regularly score with their only shots on target against us.