PDA

View Full Version : The Only Solution To Referee Corruption ( please note, not incompetence )

Jim44
10-05-2016, 10:49 PM
We will never esacape the evil of dishonesty and corruption in referees till we introduce a system of employing referees from a neutral, preferably foreign association. Too many of our muppets are guided by personal bias, hatred of certain clubs, prior knowledge of previous situations and the resulting pressure put upon them by unscrupulous managers. Unfortunately, we know that this search for honesty and integrity will never happen because of financial restraints and a lack of desire for transparency in our national association blazers.

darwenhibby
10-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Fwiw I don't think Thompson has gave any contentious decision against sine that final
Might be a good thing he is the ref us he will be under a lot of scrutiny
Simple solution start putting the chances away and nothing to worry about

Waxy
10-05-2016, 10:59 PM
Remember the semi against Falkirk last year. The ref got in the way of TWO passes that were on the way to cutting through the Falkirk defence.No liking refs and Falkirk very much.

Forza Fred
11-05-2016, 04:00 AM
We will never esacape the evil of dishonesty and corruption in referees till we introduce a system of employing referees from a neutral, preferably foreign association. Too many of our muppets are guided by personal bias, hatred of certain clubs, prior knowledge of previous situations and the resulting pressure put upon them by unscrupulous managers. Unfortunately, we know that this search for honesty and integrity will never happen because of financial restraints and a lack of desire for transparency in our national association blazers.

Wasn't there a system in Scotland a few years ago whereby 'guest 'referees from other countries officiated at some games?

In Oz we've had a few Japanese referees from time to time in the past.

TRC
11-05-2016, 04:18 AM
Wasn't there a system in Scotland a few years ago whereby 'guest 'referees from other countries officiated at some games?

In Oz we've had a few Japanese referees from time to time in the past.
That was when our refs went on strike for higher pay (a joke in itself) we got I guy from Malta I stand to be corrected on this and he did a great job!

WhileTheChief..
11-05-2016, 06:03 AM
Nonsense.

vuefrom1875
11-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Whole system is corrupt,we need root and branch treatment starting with neutral refs without any baggage.But alas, aint going to happen anytime soon.We the fans are toothless,through no fault of our own,when it comes to addressing this cancer in our game.

JimBHibees
11-05-2016, 06:17 AM
I am afraid we have clearly been on the wrong end of some shockers. The offside joke goal for St Mirren, numerous ones in the recent 2 2 game and now this. Something stinks. I have always thought there are teams that refs look for a reason to give a decision and some teams refs look for a reason not to give a decision, unfortunately for whatever reason we are in the second category.

Carheenlea
11-05-2016, 06:24 AM
There really is no explanation for why the referee didn't give the penalty. There was no decision/matter of opinion - the referee had a clear view of the most clear deliberate handball you will see.
Referees get heavily scrutinised and I often sympathise with them for such, but last night was a clear example why that is indeed the case.

superfurryhibby
11-05-2016, 06:44 AM
There really is no explanation for why the referee didn't give the penalty. There was no decision/matter of opinion - the referee had a clear view of the most clear deliberate handball you will see.
Referees get heavily scrutinised and I often sympathise with them for such, but last night was a clear example why that is indeed the case.

Tv showed he had an unimpeded view of the incident. There is no rational explanation as to why it wasn't given.

Beyond this game and the wider point. I don't think we have any real alternative, beyond scrutiny and a system deaigned to weed out incompetence in referees. Unfortunately, there is a corruption deep n the heart of our governong body, the SFA and this underpins the inconsitency and incompetence.

bigwheel
11-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Tv showed he had an unimpeded view of the incident. There is no rational explanation as to why it wasn't given.

Beyond this game and the wider point. I don't think we have any real alternative, beyond scrutiny and a system deaigned to weed out incompetence in referees. Unfortunately, there is a corruption deep n the heart of our governong body, the SFA and this underpins the inconsitency and incompetence.

I actually think he just didn't "fancy" giving it. No idea if that was incompetence, cheating, poor judgement or simply bottled it...but he definitely saw it - and chose not to give it.

The Leith Dutch
11-05-2016, 06:48 AM
Simple solution start putting the chances away and nothing to worry about

This.

InchHibby
11-05-2016, 06:54 AM
I agree entirely, but I'd like this particular ref to be shown last nights penalty incident and show him looking directly at it and ask him which part of this blatant handball wasn't a penalty.

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 06:56 AM
Having slept on it, it's not corruption on the part of the ref, it's just complete and utter incompetence. No bottle and unwilling to make the big decisions. The pen wasn't the only contentious decision last night - ours players also received cards for absolutely naff all, while Falkirk also had a clear free/pen denied, which would have also left a big decision on Lewis.

Fact of the matter is our refs just aren't good enough for these big decision matches.

Danderhall Hibs
11-05-2016, 06:58 AM
I've got no doubt that the pressure Houston has put on him since giving us the penalty in October is the reason for his hesitation. He's not referees a Falkirk game since that night.

Weak.

Steve20
11-05-2016, 07:08 AM
I'd still call it cheating rather than weak. I know we're not allowed to say that in this country as people get laughed at when they dare acuse refs of being corrupt but that's exactly what went on last night.

WhileTheChief..
11-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Corruption is quite an allegation to be making.

Usually it would imply that someone is gaining from an illegal activity. Who's to gain here?

Is the ref really part of a conspiracy to bring down Hibs or further Falkirk's ambitions?

So who exactly do we think paid the ref or offered him something to miss a penalty?

Houston? The Daily Record? Sportsound?

It was a stonewall penalty, no denying that. But claims of corruption are just hyperbole really.

Of course if you truly believe it you could call the police and report it. Nah, they're probably part of the con too eh.

Geo_1875
11-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Corruption is quite an allegation to be making.

Usually it would imply that someone is gaining from an illegal activity. Who's to gain here?

Is the ref really part of a conspiracy to bring down Hibs or further Falkirk's ambitions?

So who exactly do we think paid the ref or offered him something to miss a penalty?

Houston? The Daily Record? Sportsound?

It was a stonewall penalty, no denying that. But claims of corruption are just hyperbole really.

Of course if you truly believe it you could call the police and report it. Nah, they're probably part of the con too eh.

Incompetence - No, it can't be possible that he saw the handball (he did have an unimpeded view) and didn't give a penalty kick to Hibs. Maybe he saw it and thought "I can't have possibly seen what he just did there. I must have been hallucinating. Nobody would commit such a blatant handball in the penalty area and expect to get away with it."

Corruption - No, can't possibly be considered that an employee of a governing body in football could be influenced by large under-the-table payments to make a decision one way or another. And anyway, isn't it common knowledge that Hibs have a bigger budget than Grangemouth and would therefore be the beneficiaries of such underhand dealings.

cleanyman
11-05-2016, 12:55 PM
The referee just blew it last night.

He completely froze.

Corruption? Not for me.

JimBHibees
11-05-2016, 12:59 PM
I'd still call it cheating rather than weak. I know we're not allowed to say that in this country as people get laughed at when they dare acuse refs of being corrupt but that's exactly what went on last night.

Refs are human beings and can have all the traits of human beings including corrupt. Doesnt mean he was paid or anything however may have a particular dislike for Hibs or think it may benefit Rangers by being in a tough second leg rather than being 2 goals up and cruising. Not sure how watching that decision with the view he had can be rationally explained IMO.

Andy74
11-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Having slept on it, it's not corruption on the part of the ref, it's just complete and utter incompetence. No bottle and unwilling to make the big decisions. The pen wasn't the only contentious decision last night - ours players also received cards for absolutely naff all, while Falkirk also had a clear free/pen denied, which would have also left a big decision on Lewis.

Fact of the matter is our refs just aren't good enough for these big decision matches.

This is the point I was trying to make last night. If it was a matter of corruption then the ref COULD have given a penalty and COULD have sent off Lewis in the first half. Having seen the replay a few times he caught him, yes, it might have started outside and Gray might have got there, but a ref who wanted to, could easily have given both.

The handball seemed clear to all, the ref looked like he saw it and you can only assume that he didn't feel it was deliberate at the time.

I'm fairly sure he is wrong but I'm sure he probably though he was right at the time and not trying to cheat.

Spike Mandela
11-05-2016, 01:01 PM

Why are people so determined it is not corruption.

With Fifa currently under investigation, the SFA's and Campbell Ogilvie's behavviour in the Sevco shambles so clinically exposed in the offshore game report plus the tacit complicity of a weak media and broadcasting community in this country. Football clubs escaping administration in very strange and inexplainable fashions. Cover ups from the police force at Hillsborough, cover ups from the BBC on savile , Hypocricy from MP's on offshore accounts, expenses and lying about leaking misinformation etc etc.

Why would it seem so strange that our game is corrupt?

JimBHibees
11-05-2016, 01:02 PM

With Fifa currently under investigation, the SFA's and Campbell Ogilvie's behavviour in the Sevco shambles so clinically exposed in the offshore game report plus the tacit complicity of a weak media and broadcasting community in this country. Football clubs escaping administration in very strange and inexplainable fashions. Cover ups from the police force at Hillsborough, cover ups from the BBC on savile , Hypocricy from MP's on offshore accounts, expenses and lying about leaking misinformation etc etc.

Agree cant be ruled out.

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 01:06 PM
This is the point I was trying to make last night. If it was a matter of corruption then the ref COULD have given a penalty and COULD have sent off Lewis in the first half. Having seen the replay a few times he caught him, yes, it might have started outside and Gray might have got there, but a ref who wanted to, could easily have given both.

The handball seemed clear to all, the ref looked like he saw it and you can only assume that he didn't feel it was deliberate at the time.

I'm fairly sure he is wrong but I'm sure he probably though he was right at the time and not trying to cheat.

:agree: Exactly. Just another calamitous performance from a ref in a really big football match.

Once he's not made the call on the hand ball scenario, he's probably immediately second guessing himself and saving face. These things happen in the EPL all the time but the ref is willing to take advice from the linesman, this never happens in Scottish football. If this was a EPL play off semi and the ref doesn't give that i am 90% certain the linesman waves to speak to the ref.

GreenLake
11-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Remember the semi against Falkirk last year. The ref got in the way of TWO passes that were on the way to cutting through the Falkirk defence.No liking refs and Falkirk very much.

I remember both vividly. Eric Cantona would have been proud of the control the ref's body showed over the ball.

Kato
11-05-2016, 01:08 PM
The referee just blew it last night.

He completely froze.

Corruption? Not for me.

I wish they'd start freezing in our favour. Just once in a big game, something I've yet to witness (1st Hibs game in 1968), I'd like to see it.

nellio
11-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Since I moved to Scotland I've said numerous times that the standard of refereeing up here is a complete joke. I've genuinely seen better in the lower leagues in England.

It's just so frustrating.

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 01:10 PM

Cause it isn't corruption. Corruption would be Falkirk getting the pen and Lewis being sent off, Stokes being called offside for his header assist (i know he's miles on) or McGreggor being adjudged to foul for his header (i know he doesn't touch anyone). All this that aren't true but could have been given from corrupt officials.

Corruption does exist in football and in many walks of life, however i can't see Scottish football outside the old firm having any need or want for it.

Smartie
11-05-2016, 01:24 PM

If I genuinely believed it was corruption then I simply wouldn't be interested in watching games.

The beauty of football is that you don't know what is going to happen. You might win, you might not. It might go your way, it might not. TBH the way the Rangers fiasco has been handled has made me think long and hard about this (as everything has been done to let them away with murder) but that is nothing to do with a Hibs vs Falkirk game.

Why would corruption work against us? With Scottish football being as skint as it is surely our relatively big away supports, our decent home support and the Edinburgh derby would be more of an asset to the Premier League than anything Falkirk could bring?

Having said that, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that an institutionally corrupt organisation such as the SPFL might see to it that decisions would go against us in the Cup Final though. There have been enough helping hands given to Rangers over the years, why stop now………..

Geo_1875
11-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Cause it isn't corruption. Corruption would be Falkirk getting the pen and Lewis being sent off, Stokes being called offside for his header assist (i know he's miles on) or McGreggor being adjudged to foul for his header (i know he doesn't touch anyone). All this that aren't true but could have been given from corrupt officials.

Corruption does exist in football and in many walks of life, however i can't see Scottish football outside the old firm having any need or want for it.

But everything in Scottish football revolves around Celtc and The Rangers.

Do you think it's beyond the realms of possibility that someone with leanings towards either of the former Old Firm would prefer not to see Hibs in the SPFL?

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 01:41 PM
But everything in Scottish football revolves around Celtc and The Rangers.

Do you think it's beyond the realms of possibility that someone with leanings towards either of the former Old Firm would prefer not to see Hibs in the SPFL?

yes. It makes absolutely 0 sense in any possible scenario to anyone involved in Scottish football to have Falkirk or Kilmarnock over hibs in the premier.......

Geo_1875
11-05-2016, 01:44 PM
yes. It makes absolutely 0 sense in any possible scenario to anyone involved in Scottish football to have Falkirk or Kilmarnock over hibs in the premier.......

Even if, on our day, we're more capable of taking points off the "top teams"?

Craig_HFC
11-05-2016, 01:46 PM
The referees in this country aren't clever enough to be corrupt. They're just completely incompetent to a frightening degree.

Something certainly needs to done about the standard of refereeing in this country as it is embarrassing.

And don't get me started on the linesmen... 99% of the time they can't make a decision by themselves.

:grr:

SunshineOnLeith
11-05-2016, 01:55 PM
It's a conspiracy.

TheMentalHibees
11-05-2016, 01:56 PM

I absolutely detest a referee that will bottle the big decisions but happily blow for a soft foul in the middle of the park.

I understand being a referee is a hard job but that handball (x2) was the easiest decision in the world to make. His positioning was great, he had a clear view, he did everything right but blow his whistle.

emerald green
11-05-2016, 02:03 PM

There are lots of people involved in Scottish football who have never forgiven Hibs for voting for The Rangers (the new club) to start again in the lowest division of Scottish football after Rangers FC was placed in liquidation.

Kilmarnock, IIRC, was one of the clubs who wanted them parachuted into the Championship were they not?

Just a thought.

snooky
11-05-2016, 02:07 PM
]I wish they'd start freezing in our favour.[/B] Just once in a big game, something I've yet to witness (1st Hibs game in 1968), I'd like to see it.

:agree: Hibs getting the benefit of a dodgy decision is right up there with hen's teeth & rocking horse poop.

JimBHibees
11-05-2016, 02:08 PM
I wish they'd start freezing in our favour. Just once in a big game, something I've yet to witness (1st Hibs game in 1968), I'd like to see it.

Indeed can anyone list all these big game decisions that we have benefited from. I can remember an absolute catalogue against us in derbies even just counting the last 5 years or so. I honestly cannot remember a hugely wrong decision going in our favour. Jeezo we dont even get penalties anymore even against the minnow teams in this league.

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Even if, on our day, we're more capable of taking points off the "top teams"?

Away you go. :rolleyes: that's the worst reasoning you could possibly come up with for corruption. Football needs ££, hibs are a bigger pull than Falkirk and killie combined for gates and tv money.

Jim44
11-05-2016, 02:27 PM
For those who say my use of the word 'corrupt', is OTT or hyperbole, let me say that I don't see the word necessarily relating to dishonest behaviour for material or personal gain. I use the word in relation to dishonest or illegal behaviour to achieve a desired effect or outcome. Don't tell me that our upstanding game officials are beyond such behaviour.

Kato
11-05-2016, 03:23 PM
For those who say my use of the word 'corrupt', is OTT or hyperbole, let me say that I don't see the word necessarily relating to dishonest behaviour for material or personal gain. I use the word in relation to dishonest or illegal behaviour to achieve a desired effect or outcome. Don't tell me that our upstanding game officials are beyond such behaviour.

True. A lot people today and last night post-match saying "I can't see why they be against us". That's because we don't know their outlook and how we see ourselves isn't necessarily how others perceive us.

heretoday
11-05-2016, 03:31 PM
The ref wasn't corrupt, just stupid!

JC94
11-05-2016, 03:36 PM
'Corrupt' Bloody hell:greengrin:greengrin if we start putting the chances away we wouldnt need to blame the refs for our draws/losses.

Spike Mandela
11-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Ok not corruption, how about bigotry, self importance and dishonesty.

Do you have absolute faith that if it was brought to the attention of our football authorities that a match official may have made decisions for dishonest, bigoted or bias reasons they would act upon it? After events of recent years I don't believe the authorities would do anything other than an exercise in arse covering and would close ranks.

Sporting integrity, that much maligned phrase in modern parlance, does not esist in Scottish football imo. Professional football has a long wat to go to assure me that there is a level playing field for all.

SeanWilson
11-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Ok not corruption, how about bigotry, self importance and dishonesty.

Do you have absolute faith that if it was brought to the attention of our football authorities that a match official may have made decisions for dishonest, bigoted or bias reasons they would act upon it? After events of recent years I don't believe the authorities would do anything other than an exercise in arse covering and would close ranks.

Sporting integrity, that much maligned phrase in modern parlance, does not esist in Scottish football imo. Professional football has a long wat to go to assure me that there is a level playing field for all.

I completely see where you're coming from mate, however I honestly don't see an agenda against us in the match last night - it's just rank rotten refereeing.

SonOfDavidFrancey
11-05-2016, 04:03 PM
There is a 'rational' explanation, of course there is. The referee presumably thought the Falkirk player fell on the ball. Not a penalty. A TMO would have i think have given a penalty if such a sustem existed, though the BT pundits even with slow-mo were split in their views. The refereeing was very poor. To suggest there is any evidence of corruption is plain silly. if such evidence emerges I will happily join the hate-mob. Until there is evidence or even a shred of a reason to believe in even the vaguest possibility of dark forces at work it is frankly an insult to victims of real corruption, such as the Hillsborough families, to talk about corruption in this context.

Bishop Hibee
11-05-2016, 04:08 PM
The ref last night pocketed £840 before tax for his performance assuming he was on Premiership rates. Not bad for breathtaking incompetence.

As for corruption, I doubt it but when Hugh Dallas and Willie Young talked recently on Radio Scotland about refereeing old firm games differently from others, anything is possible.

banarc7062
11-05-2016, 04:52 PM
'Corrupt' Bloody hell:greengrin:greengrin if we start putting the chances away we wouldnt need to blame the refs for our draws/losses.
That is the simple solution to the very poor referee decisions and all in our own hands. If we put the ball in the net often and more than the opponents no problem no matter how bad the biased refs and linesmen are. Go get em Hibs. Bloody score loads of goals.

WhileTheChief..
11-05-2016, 05:21 PM
This sort of chat never appears when we win games.

It's far easier to blame refs, the BBC and tabloids etc than to look at our own shortcomings when we have crap results.

emerald green
11-05-2016, 06:08 PM
That is the simple solution to the very poor referee decisions and all in our own hands. If we put the ball in the net often and more than the opponents no problem no matter how bad the biased refs and linesmen are. Go get em Hibs. Bloody score loads of goals.

I agree, but that also means scoring from penalties too. Hibs were denied a blatant penalty last night, which would have given them a great opportunity to score another, possibly decisive, goal in this play-off.

Waxy
11-05-2016, 06:37 PM
It's a conspiracy.Well it was a conspiracy to keep us out when we first formed.

Yorkshire HFC
11-05-2016, 08:07 PM
The solution is for Hibs to win games - that's how to get promoted. It's not the referees fault we finished third in the second division - it's the managers and the players responsibility to get us back up.

JimBHibees
12-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Indeed can anyone list all these big game decisions that we have benefited from. I can remember an absolute catalogue against us in derbies even just counting the last 5 years or so. I honestly cannot remember a hugely wrong decision going in our favour. Jeezo we dont even get penalties anymore even against the minnow teams in this league.

Still waiting for all these big game decisions that have gone in our favour if truly only incompetence. I have been watching Hibs since early 70 s can't remember one anywhere near the same level as the cheat on Tuesday night. Refs that do that do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

matty_f
12-05-2016, 07:39 AM

It's far easier to blame refs, the BBC and tabloids etc than to look at our own shortcomings when we have crap results.

Yes it does, there have been threads all season about refs.

Danderhall Hibs
12-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Yes it does, there have been threads all season about refs.

:agree: usually started by you.

Danderhall Hibs
12-05-2016, 07:46 AM

I'd imagine when we eventually get things evened out we'll have a thread saying it's not Hibs class to accept the decision and we should offer to replay the match or somesuch.

Bill Milne
12-05-2016, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=SonOfDavidFrancey;4680694]There is a 'rational' explanation, of course there is. The referee presumably thought the Falkirk player fell on the ball.]

Given that McCracken knocked the ball forward with his left hand then controlled it with his right hand before placing it in an advantageous position for him to clear the ball, that blows apart any "explanation" that it was accidental!!

Thecat23
12-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Sorry but even the worst refs in the world would give a pen all day long. For me he's 100% corrupt. The game itself is full of cheats from players to officials and this ref either hates Hibs or had money on this game.

Just saying he was poor doesn't cut it. He seen it and the player rolled the ball not just touched it so I'm not buying this ***** about the ref thinking he was right at the time.

He ****ing cheated plain and simple.

AndyM_1875
12-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Sorry but even the worst refs in the world would give a pen all day long. For me he's 100% corrupt. The game itself is full of cheats from players to officials and this ref either hates Hibs or had money on this game.

Just saying he was poor doesn't cut it. He seen it and the player rolled the ball not just touched it so I'm not buying this ***** about the ref thinking he was right at the time.

He ****ing cheated plain and simple.

No they wouldn't.

Muir didn't cheat and he is not corrupt IMHO. He is however a serial bottler when it comes to making big calls in games and is not a particularly good referee. He made a big mistake from the off on Tuesday. Everyone knew that game was going to be a tinder box between two clubs who basically hate each other. First bad foul should have been a yellow card and the referee imposing himself on the game to set precedence. But he let Falkirk away with it, he carried on in this vein of not wanting to dish out bookings on both sides.

Refereeing standards in Scotland are simply not good enough. We are sending Willie Collum to the Euros FFS. That says everything about our game and the officiating of it.

Danderhall Hibs
12-05-2016, 08:13 AM
He looked straight at it and hesitated for so long he felt he couldn't give it.

Not corrupt just really really poor.

Caversham Green
12-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

"Scottish football needs a strong Rangers" they say. That means they want Sevco to finish as high up the Premiership as possible and Hibs (along with Aberdeen and Hearts) are more likely to finish above them than Falkirk or Killie. Get another two clubs above them and they're bottom six and we lose an OF Derby. The financial loss for the 'important' clubs is also minimal since their allocations for away fans is relatively small.

There is a 'rational' explanation, of course there is. The referee presumably thought the Falkirk player fell on the ball. Not a penalty. A TMO would have i think have given a penalty if such a sustem existed, though the BT pundits even with slow-mo were split in their views. The refereeing was very poor. To suggest there is any evidence of corruption is plain silly. if such evidence emerges I will happily join the hate-mob. Until there is evidence or even a shred of a reason to believe in even the vaguest possibility of dark forces at work it is frankly an insult to victims of real corruption, such as the Hillsborough families, to talk about corruption in this context.

If you want evidence of corruption in general, look at the thread about the SFA and Sevco being in cahoots. While it's in a different context, that shows they're not above breaking/bending the rules to favour at least one of the two 'important' clubs. Whether Tuesday's referee would be complicit is debatable, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

On the incident itself, the ref saw the handball and chose not to give the penalty - whatever else it is, it's not incompetence. Incompetence would be if he was in the wrong place to see it, was looking elsewhere or didn't understand the rules. That leaves corruption of some sort or an honest mistake. Corruption doesn't necessarily mean orders from the SFA, it could be that he himself had decided he wasn't going to award a penalty against Falkirk for reasons unknown.

Killiehibbie
12-05-2016, 08:16 AM
You behave like that in your job and you get your P45, should be the same for them. Once the lot of them are gone bring back the foreigners.

Kato
12-05-2016, 08:34 AM
He looked straight at it and hesitated for so long he felt he couldn't give it.

Not corrupt just really really poor.

He wouldn't have hesitated to award The Rangers a penalty.

That's the level of corruption here, petty, ingrained, cultural bias.

JimBHibees
12-05-2016, 08:46 AM

Imagine if he had in an OF game, just wouldnt happen and we all know it. There are teams refs find easier to make decisions for than others.

JimBHibees
12-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

"Scottish football needs a strong Rangers" they say. That means they want Sevco to finish as high up the Premiership as possible and Hibs (along with Aberdeen and Hearts) are more likely to finish above them than Falkirk or Killie. Get another two clubs above them and they're bottom six and we lose an OF Derby. The financial loss for the 'important' clubs is also minimal since their allocations for away fans is relatively small.

I wouldnt even go as far as next season. We play Rangers a week on Saturday a convincing win which 3-1 and possibly more, possibly less given we lost a goal would have been would potentially have allowed more flexibility for the second leg thus being in a better position to challenge in the final.

SeanWilson
12-05-2016, 09:02 AM
I'd imagine when we eventually get things evened out we'll have a thread saying it's not Hibs class to accept the decision and we should offer to replay the match or somesuch.
:rotflmao::rotflmao::not worth

SeanWilson
12-05-2016, 09:04 AM

ingrained, cultural bias isn't corruption.

The guys a ***** ref who ****ed up, nothing more.

Danderhall Hibs
12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
[

Didn't he do the same v Celtic last season?

Or is it only Rangers he wouldn't hesitate to give the penalty to?

Big L
12-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Their is no logical reason for denying us a penalty! What we witnessed was corruption in football at it's best. The ******* should be made to face the public and lets listen to his pathetic explanation. If I had my way I would bring in the lawyers, extreme, I know, but that's how badly I feel about one of the worst decisions I have seen in over 60yrs of supporting Hibs.

Kato
12-05-2016, 09:51 AM
ingrained, cultural bias isn't corruption.

The guys a ***** ref who ****ed up, nothing more.

In a one off situation I'd perhaps agree. Seems to happen to Hibs time and again, season after season, referee after referee and the "things evening themselves out" never comes our way,

SunshineOnLeith
12-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Their is no logical reason for denying us a penalty! What we witnessed was corruption in football at it's best. The ******* should be made to face the public and lets listen to his pathetic explanation. If I had my way I would bring in the lawyers, extreme, I know, but that's how badly I feel about one of the worst decisions I have seen in over 60yrs of supporting Hibs.

It's a conspiracy.

GreenLake
12-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Houston said in the Daily Rag that Hibs "need to deal with it and get on with it".

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Kato
12-05-2016, 11:22 AM
[

Didn't he do the same v Celtic last season?

Or is it only Rangers he wouldn't hesitate to give the penalty to?

Don't understand the question. Which incident involving Celtic?

Kato
12-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Houston said in the Daily Rag that Hibs "need to deal with it and get on with it".

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

He's right, once the Falkirk player has been suspended for Friday.

Joe Baker2
12-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Has Houston come out and admitted it was a penalty? Awfy quiet from one with an opinion on everything and a gob to match it!

Danderhall Hibs
12-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Don't understand the question. Which incident involving Celtic?

Blatant handball, looked at it, hesitated, made up an excuse for not giving it.

Not against us but against one of the of.

Kato
12-05-2016, 01:48 PM

I wonder what the excuse in his head was, i.e. not the one he verbalised.

JimBHibees
12-05-2016, 01:55 PM
I wonder what the excuse in his head was, i.e. not the one he verbalised.

This was covered at the time I think. According to a newspaper report the referee McLean indicated that Muir had told him it had struck Meakings in the face (Muir was the additional official behind the goal). McLean actually had a reasonableish view so sounds like a cop out explanation. Muir didnt have as good a view of that incident as he did of our penalty on Tuesday.

Caversham Green
12-05-2016, 02:18 PM

So we've established that this particular referee refuses to give stonewall penalties to Hibs and Celtc - both perceived to be 'Catholic' clubs, although in Hibs' case we know better. Here's another referee coming under scrutiny from the Vick Tims https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq2rsmBTSI .

There was also a scandal of sorts about an anti-pope email sent by a chief referee a few years ago - can't remember who and don't much care.

Food for thought? :devil: