PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final Request From Rangers Fans

JFK-1
10-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Just a request for you guys on cup final day which will only take a minute of your time on the day if you decide to join in. Three days ago a 13 year old Rangers fan with a rare genetic disorder died after a short lifetime of struggle against his terminal illness. On cup final day Rangers fans in the 13th minute of the match will come to their feet and conduct a minute of applause in memory of the boy and as a mark of respect to his family. The following is a summary of his struggle and an explanation of the plan for cup final day.

RANGERS SUPPORTERS TO PAY TOUCHING TRIBUTE TO TRAGIC YOUNG FAN DYLAN BROWN IN 13TH MINUTE OF SCOTTISH CUP FINAL

RANGERS fans will pay tribute to a tragic young supporter at this month’s Scottish Cup final. Dylan Brown lost his battle against a rare genetic condition at the weekend. He was just 13. It is understood he passed away in Robin House children’s hospice in Balloch, Dunbartonshire, where he spent his final weeks.

In a statement on the Dylan Brown’s Journey Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Dylan-browns-journey-1506284956308509/?fref=photo the schoolboy’s family said: “Just wanted to let you all know that Dylan has grown his wings. “It has been such a hard day for us all but one we will never forget. “Until we meet again, sleep tight little man. We love you.” Dylan was a huge Gers fan. He was visited by players including Lee Wallace and Nicky Clark and taken on tours of Ibrox.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12961514_1720580981545571_202638749788441466_n.jpg ?oh=a7322690a245a7cd2e9c18ac5ce16d84&oe=57AA9188

Fellow fans who took Dylan to their hearts will honour the teenager with a minute’s applause during the 13th minute of the final against Hibernian on May 21. On the Glasgow Rangers FC supporters’ Facebook page, one tribute read:

“After the sad news that Dylan Brown had passed away at the age of 13, on May 21, Rangers face Hibernian in the Scottish Cup final, so in the 13th minute, we would like all fans to stand for a minute’s applause in memory of young Dylan.

“Let’s spread the word and make this happen for Dylan and his family and show our support.”

A tribute on the Blue Sea of Ibrox page said: “Wee Dylan grew his wings and was taken by the angels from above. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time. Gone but not forgotten, wee man.”
Dylan’s aunt Donna Balfour said of the tribute: “The family are all very grateful. Celtic have also been in touch and are going to do a memory box for Dylan.”

The schoolboy, from Glasgow, had Sanfilippo syndrome, a rare genetic condition. It’s a progressive illness that causes severe mental and physical disabilities.

Again it would be greatly appreciated if we can put aside everything else for just 1 minute on the day to give this grieving family a memorable tribute after all they have suffered and demonstrate Scottish community to the world at large on our national cup final day.

Joe6-2
10-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Hear hear!

JFK-1
10-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Hear hear!

Thank you, maybe you guys could spread this through more Hibs communities and we could all show the world a respectable face of Scotland on the day if we have the sight of an entire stadium coming to it's feet in memory of one young boy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Doubt anyone will have a problem with that.

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Happy to join in assuming Rangers fans wont be singing about death and famine before and after it.

MKHIBEE
10-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Happy to join in assuming Rangers fans wont be singing about death and famine before and after it.

I will join in whatever the Rangers fans sing.

JFK-1
20-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Night before the match so just giving this a bump.

20-05-2016, 06:30 PM
How awfully sad! Absolutely will join in with this, don't think any hibs fan will object to this.

JimBHibees
20-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Happy to join in. Heartbreaking story.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 06:34 PM
What minutes are the applauses on tomorrow? Seen four or five of them now.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2016, 06:39 PM
What minutes are the applauses on tomorrow? Seen four or five of them now.

Just clap the full 90 except when your holding your card display up.

Hi Heid Yin
20-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Heartbreaking stuff for the family affected. Football rivalry does not come into the equation.
Every Hibby will play their part and join in along with the Bluenoses.

Billy Whizz
20-05-2016, 08:01 PM
I'll join in, not too much to ask is it

JFK-1
20-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Heartbreaking stuff for the family affected. Football rivalry does not come into the equation.Every Hibby will play their part and join in along with the Bluenoses.Kind and level headed words, football rivalry is nothing beside such tragedy and the pain this family have suffered. If we have the sight of an entire stadium coming to their feet in memory of this boy tomorrow it not only reflects well on the Hibs support but on Scottish football and society in general. Hopefully the TV commentators know what is happening and mention why it's taking place.

erskine-hibby
20-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Football isn't life or death, but this is. Will happily, if that's the word for it, join in.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Kind and level headed words, football rivalry is nothing beside such tragedy and the pain this family have suffered. If we have the sight of an entire stadium coming to their feet in memory of this boy tomorrow it not only reflects well on the Hibs support but on Scottish football and society in general. Hopefully the TV commentators know what is happening and mention why it's taking place.

:agree: Hope they mention them all.

KDY Hibs
20-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Just a request for you guys on cup final day which will only take a minute of your time on the day if you decide to join in. Three days ago a 13 year old Rangers fan with a rare genetic disorder died after a short lifetime of struggle against his terminal illness. On cup final day Rangers fans in the 13th minute of the match will come to their feet and conduct a minute of applause in memory of the boy and as a mark of respect to his family. The following is a summary of his struggle and an explanation of the plan for cup final day.

Again it would be greatly appreciated if we can put aside everything else for just 1 minute on the day to give this grieving family a memorable tribute after all they have suffered and demonstrate Scottish community to the world at large on our national cup final day.

I'm in.....

Sir David Gray
20-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I don't have a problem at all with respecting the loss of a young human life. Who this young lad supported is completely irrelevant.

I do, however, think it's about time that we drew a line under these minute's applauses. It's quite possible that you could find a reason for having one every other week and when they become so frequent, they sort of lose their sincerity.

In my opinion of course.

I will join in tomorrow, if one is held and my thoughts and sympathies are with this young man's family and friends at such a heartbreaking time.

Greencore
20-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Will definitely join in for the wee man. God bless him.

MoscowHibs
20-05-2016, 09:24 PM
I seen this spoken about on facebook about 2 weeks ago, and stated then it doesn't matter who you support, a minutes applause should, and will not be an issue.

Edson Arantes
20-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Goes without saying.

Pete
20-05-2016, 09:44 PM
:agree: Hope they mention them all.

All of them?

Don't mean to sound heartless but how many are going to be?

matty_f
20-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Hibs Fans News are trying to organise one on the 22nd minute as well.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 09:46 PM
All of them?

Don't mean to sound heartless but how many are going to be?

Two mentioned already, not sure if the one in the 7th minute is going ahead. Think I saw one a couple of weeks back for a baby Rangers fan as well.

Happy to join in, just not sure how many/when/who for etc.

Danderhall Hibs
20-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Two mentioned already, not sure if the one in the 7th minute is going ahead. Think I saw one a couple of weeks back for a baby Rangers fan as well.

It's becoming a bit too often for me. Loses effect when you're doing one every week.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 09:50 PM
It's becoming a bit too often for me. Loses effect when you're doing one every week.

:agree: I think when you have multiple ones in the one game it does reduce the impact somewhat.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-05-2016, 09:50 PM
In a national cup final - something all young football fans dream of playing in 1 day for me I'll stand up and applaud as a mark of respect. Football colours are irrelevant.

In terms of "where do we draw the line"? I honestly don't know the answer to that but this is the pinnacle of Scottish football and as I said above, a dream for every boy growing up.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 09:53 PM
In a national cup final - something all young football fans dream of playing in 1 day for me I'll stand up and applaud as a mark of respect. Football colours are irrelevant.

In terms of "where do we draw the line"? I honestly don't know the answer to that but this is the pinnacle of Scottish football and as I said above, a dream for every boy growing up.
No problem with them, again I think it would be good to know what they're all for and who's organising them so that we're all on the same page with them.

marinello59
20-05-2016, 09:54 PM

I've seen three different ones getting pushed for the final. I never know what they are for and just end up looking around to see what I have missed.

hibsbollah
20-05-2016, 09:58 PM
It's acceptable I think to say on one hand, I have every sympathy/empathy with the individuals involved in this kind of heartbreak. But on the other, that the explosion in number of games with these sort of gestures has made the gesture, although not the sentiment, a bit meaningless. The genies out of the bottle now though, we all just clap along without knowing why in a lot of cases.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2016, 09:58 PM
:agree: I think when you have multiple ones in the one game it does reduce the impact somewhat.

:agree: Absolutely.

I personally feel that if someone's passing is going to be marked at all then it should be in the form of a minute's silence.

I'm not a huge fan of a minute's applause at all, either before or during a game.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 10:04 PM
:agree: Absolutely.

I personally feel that if someone's passing is going to be marked at all then it should be in the form of a minute's silence.

I'm not a huge fan of a minute's applause at all, either before or during a game.

I agree, I also think they should be officially arranged and limited to 'significant' figures (I use that word cautiously, I'm not for a moment suggesting any one life is less significant than another, more that a player/ex-player, club staff etc would be appropriate to commemorate).

I mean no disrespect to the tragic lad in the OP, or to those that lost their lives or loved ones.

lucky
20-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Can't we just do one for all football fans that have passed ? It could become a yearly thing by whatever teams qualify ?

hibbeedavid
20-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Totally agree that it's almost a weekly event now and about 70% of those clapping have no idea who for, makes a mockery of whole thing

Yes it's a tragedy that a young person has lost their life however thousands of people who they didn't know clapping isn't the way to mark respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_f
20-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Can't we just do one for all football fans that have passed ? It could become a yearly thing by whatever teams qualify ?

I think that's a good idea, before kick off on the last home game of the season would be fitting.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2016, 10:06 PM
I agree, I also think they should be officially arranged and limited to 'significant' figures (I use that word cautiously, I'm not for a moment suggesting any one life is less significant than another, more that a player/ex-player, club staff etc would be appropriate to commemorate).

I mean no disrespect to the tragic lad in the OP, or to those that lost their lives or loved ones.

Totally agree, once again.

One Day Soon
20-05-2016, 10:09 PM
I think we can manage to applaud three times for a minute during a game out of respect. Of course it would be more united and less confusing if we'd arranged to roll all three into one at the same time.

Perhaps it should always be the 12th minute of any game - to remember whoever is being commemorated as the 12th man. That way if there is more than person - esp if they are from both sides - then both sets of support can unite at the same time.

Nitten Hibee
20-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Shared on facebook 🇳🇬🇳🇬

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-05-2016, 10:17 PM
I think we can manage to applaud three times for a minute during a game out of respect. Of course it would be more united and less confusing if we'd arranged to roll all three into one at the same time.

Perhaps it should always be the 12th minute of any game - to remember whoever is being commemorated as the 12th man. That way if there is more than person - esp if they are from both sides - then both sets of support can unite at the same time.

There's no a super like button on here is there? Cracking suggestion mate

JAY-ESS GREEN
20-05-2016, 10:19 PM
I can assure you when it's for someone you care about it doesn't lose its effect. The mins applause for my dad at the raith game was one of the proudest days of my life. However it does seem to be more frequent and people will get blasé over time.someone suggested a mins applause at last home game of season for all those that have passed on during the year fine idea but the feeling of 10000 fellow hibbies clapping for your loved one is something I wouldn't take away from anyone.so if it means standing clapping for 5 6 7 mins during game think we could manage that?

SJM
20-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Definitely get this done. Poor wee laddie regardless of his team. A new threads with what minutes would be good. Think how appreciated it will be regardless of how many times when it comes to that minute everyone who knew the person will mean the world to them.

H18S NX
20-05-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm in.

Mantis Toboggan
20-05-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm in.

Agree there are too many these days and it ends up becoming pretty meaningless.
But here its a cup final, and as a result its something the family and friends of the lad will always remember.
For that reason I think we need to get behind it and give the wee guy a good send off.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 10:26 PM

12th minute of every game?

I don't think it's necessary. We have gone decades and decades without doing minute's applauses at games. We only did minute's silences for a while when 'key' figures passed, that had to change because the Yams booed the Pope's death and embarrassed Scotland (again). Even the minute's silences were only once in a blue moon.

It might sound callous but I can't think of another way to make the point. We are now heading towards a situation where it is the norm to commemorate a fans' passing with a minute's applause.

We have thousands of fans. Chuck in the fans of other teams and that's multiplied exponentially.

It sounds ridiculous making this point. Of course we can all join in, of course it isn't too much to ask, when you look at it. We could all take a moment out our day at work and have a minute's applause in our respective offices - it's not a lot to ask really.

I just feel very uncomfortable with the frequency and the process of how and who decides we should be doing them.

I don't know if anyone ever saw the show BrassEye? It basically worked on the premise that people go along with things that they feel they should without questioning or challenging whether it's right or appropriate to do it.

I think that's where I see these going, already we've got a somewhat surreal situation where we have different people all trying to do a very honourable and nice thing, but ending up just detracting from the gestures and confusing people, and it's only a matter of time before the moral high grounders pour scorn on those that don't participate.

Mantis Toboggan
20-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Agree there are too many these days and it ends up becoming pretty meaningless.
But here its a cup final, and as a result its something the family and friends of the lad will always remember.
For that reason I think we need to get behind it and give the wee guy a good send off.

Although I would much rather we scored in the 13th minute than clapped during it ;)

Mantis Toboggan
20-05-2016, 10:28 PM

I don't think it's necessary. We have gone decades and decades without doing minute's applauses at games. We only did minute's silences for a while when 'key' figures passed, that had to change because the Yams booed the Pope's death and embarrassed Scotland (again). Even the minute's silences were only once in a blue moon.

It might sound callous but I can't think of another way to make the point. We are now heading towards a situation where it is the norm to commemorate a fans' passing with a minute's applause.

We have thousands of fans. Chuck in the fans of other teams and that's multiplied exponentially.

It sounds ridiculous making this point. Of course we can all join in, of course it isn't too much to ask, when you look at it. We could all take a moment out our day at work and have a minute's applause in our respective offices - it's not a lot to ask really.

I just feel very uncomfortable with the frequency and the process of how and who decides we should be doing them.

I don't know if anyone ever saw the show BrassEye? It basically worked on the premise that people go along with things that they feel they should without questioning or challenging whether it's right or appropriate to do it.

I think that's where I see these going, already we've got a somewhat surreal situation where we have different people all trying to do a very honourable and nice thing, but ending up just detracting from the gestures and confusing people, and it's only a matter of time before the moral high grounders pour scorn on those that don't participate.

Brass Eye was amazing but the target was something very much different (and deserving)

Sir David Gray
20-05-2016, 10:33 PM

On top form tonight Matty. :aok:

Hutchie
20-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Great points. I've changed my opinion 3 times whilst reading this thread.particularly enjoyed the last longer post.

Personally, I prefer silence, shows more respect , however one person breaking that silence ruins it.

Anyway, what a tragic story and my thoughts go to his family. I'll be standing clapping on the 13th minute.

Carheenlea
20-05-2016, 10:43 PM

You won't have to worry there, Hibs fans will absolutely be able to set aside a minute to pay tribute to this young man .
What would be an even better tribute would be if Rangers fans could go 90 minutes without calling our manager a "fenian *******". Too much to ask? I suspect so.

matty_f
20-05-2016, 10:45 PM
You won't have to worry there, Hibs fans will absolutely be able to set aside a minute to pay tribute to this young man .
What would be an even better tribute would be if Rangers fans could go 90 minutes without calling our manager a "fenian *******". Too much to ask? I suspect so.
:top marks

Mantis Toboggan
20-05-2016, 10:54 PM
:top marks

Much as I hate the hun, is this really the time to make that point?

matty_f
20-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Much as I hate the hun, is this really the time to make that point?

I didn't make it, just agreed with it. I think it's fair enough, to be honest.

Babyshamble
20-05-2016, 10:58 PM

Again it would be greatly appreciated if we can put aside everything else for just 1 minute on the day to give this grieving family a memorable tribute after all they have suffered and demonstrate Scottish community to the world at large on our national cup final day.count me in.just tolde mates about this.

Mantis Toboggan
20-05-2016, 11:04 PM
I didn't make it, just agreed with it. I think it's fair enough, to be honest.

It might be the only minute in history that i will feel sorry for a hun.
The 15th minute will be spent making up for it I'm sure.

Postman Pat
20-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Kind and level headed words, football rivalry is nothing beside such tragedy and the pain this family have suffered. If we have the sight of an entire stadium coming to their feet in memory of this boy tomorrow it not only reflects well on the Hibs support but on Scottish football and society in general. Hopefully the TV commentators know what is happening and mention why it's taking place.

Couldn't agree more.

givescotlandfreedom
21-05-2016, 02:36 AM

I'll applaud too but there's no way the bigots can/would manage a game without their poisonous bile. What else would they sing about?

ALF TUPPER
21-05-2016, 04:56 AM
Not a problem with me. RIP wee guy

Danderhall Hibs
22-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Did they start this? I missed it.

O'Rourke3
22-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Did they start this? I missed it..

Thinking the same thing on the way home. I don't think so, they were very quiet until the equaliser.

Diclonius
22-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Yes, they did.

matty_f
23-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Did they start this? I missed it.

I never heard any of them.