PDA

View Full Version : Last game at Upton Park

theonlywayisup
10-05-2016, 01:22 PM
http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36217771

Anyone got good memories of being at Upton Park. Should be quite an emotional night. Would be good to see them win.

Waxy
10-05-2016, 01:29 PM
No sure about the big bowl they're going to be playing in.

norhfc
10-05-2016, 01:41 PM
I took my son there 2 years ago as we where in London for the weekend. Coming out the tube was an eye opener, very run down area
that Green St. Game was against Palace tho we didnt see any of their fans outside the ground. Not much of an atmoshere inside the ground
to be honest. On way back to tube after the game there was some random guy fighting 4 policemen in a garden. He was doing pretty well
until a van with re enforcements turned up and throw him in the back. Also remember the amount of security guards guarding the players
car park, just under the big hammers outide main stand. Some very expensive Ferrari,s Lamborghini,s etc, looked totally out of place in
that poor part of town.

Geo_1875
10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
I took my son there 2 years ago as we where in London for the weekend. Coming out the tube was an eye opener, very run down area
that Green St. Game was against Palace tho we didnt see any of their fans outside the ground. Not much of an atmoshere inside the ground
to be honest. On way back to tube after the game there was some random guy fighting 4 policemen in a garden. He was doing pretty well
until a van with re enforcements turned up and throw him in the back. Also remember the amount of security guards guarding the players
car park, just under the big hammers outide main stand. Some very expensive Ferrari,s Lamborghini,s etc, looked totally out of place in
that poor part of town.

My first game there was early 70's and when Clyde Best scored the winner I was hooked. Green Street has certainly changed over the years, as has the whole of London. I don't know what the area will become when the ground is demolished. The new stadium and surrounding area will seem a bit foreign at first but I'm sure we'll get used to it. Can't wait for the new season to start.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-05-2016, 01:54 PM
First game was 6-0 v Sunderland back in the early 90s, that was a good start. A particular favourite of mine was a 2-1 victory v Spurs on the last day of the season which prevented them qualifying for the Champs League, a last minute winner from Harewood is right up there too as is the 2-1 victory v Millwall last time they met. Green St will become a ghetto area if current non-match days in the area are anything to go by.

Newry Hibs
10-05-2016, 01:55 PM
West Ham 0 - 3 Luton Town. Semi final first leg of the 1989 League Cup. Went in the main stand 'Luton' end thinking it was safer than the away end. No segregation to speak of. A few beer driven cheers with Luton winning meant an uncomfortable afternoon avoiding the physical contact of the cheery irons fans. Had to exit the stadium looking miserable and effect a Dick van Dyke accent.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Had a ticket for The PO Final v PNE but, went to THAT Final instead!

Green-Hibee-7
10-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Spent a summer down in London as an intern last year. Couple of boys I keep in touch with are huge West Ham fans. Been down a couple of times over the past year to see them when games have fallen on different days from Hibs. Great club. Was in their end at White Hart Lane - was a big eye opener, some choice songs, but cracking atmosphere pre match. Got hammered (no pun intended) by Spurs.

The area around the ground is run down but it's good working class people and big sense of community and proud to be West Ham fans.

52,000 season tickets for the Olympic stadium is great and will take them hopefully to the next level. But the boys I speak to definitely would rather stay at the current ground.

Billy Whizz
10-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Do they still have a running track round the ground

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Do they still have a running track round the ground

Just for visiting fans! ;-)

Billy Whizz
10-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Just for visiting fans! ;-)

Made me laugh