PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Dow

Hfc_Since1875
09-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Looks like we might have joined in the race for Ryan Dow (St Johnstone have already offered him a pre-contract deal)

Definately would bring pace to the team and can play out wide or through the middle

Out-of-contract Dundee United forward Ryan Dow has told St Johnstone he will wait until the close season to make a decision about his future, with Hibernian and two English clubs monitoring the 24-year-old's progress. (The Sun)

SJM
09-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Said on Saturday I heard he was holding of the farmers to see what league we are in apparently.

J-C
Decent player but may be waiting t see where we end up this season, is he any better than what we have?

Sean1875
Said on Saturday I heard he was holding of the farmers to see what league we are in apparently.

promising, sounds like if we get promoted we'll be his number one choice!

Hfc_Since1875
09-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Ties is with the quotes from the paper - wont let me copy and paste

Basically theres a quote from Dow saying that some teams wont know their budgets till the season has finished and therefore things can change!

frazeHFC
09-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Decent player but may be waiting t see where we end up this season, is he any better than what we have?

I think he'd definitely add something different to what we have. Give us a bit of width and pace which we lack at times.

Unseen work
09-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Would be an alright signing. Quick and direct winger.

Technically he would better than Boyle.

Would be a good option to have though as he can beat a man and swing a ball in.

Him and Boyle both wings would really help stretch teams.

Although, can't see Boyle starting much next season so probably another winger to come in

number9dream
09-05-2016, 09:18 AM
He's never a winger. Makes good late runs into the box from midfield, which is something we lack. A decent replacement for Henderson, if he goes back to Celtic. All depends on what league we are in...

J-C
09-05-2016, 09:36 AM
I think he'd definitely add something different to what we have. Give us a bit of width and pace which we lack at times.

We have width and pace, his name is Boyle who sits on the bench most weeks, remember Stubbs doesn't play with wingers.
He's a decent player who'd be seen as cover/other option if we are still with Stubbs in Premiership, due to his tactics, personally I like Dow and would use him and Boyle together.

MrRobot
09-05-2016, 10:28 AM
We don't play with wingers or pace.

ekhibee
09-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Dow's one of the few players I would take out of that DU side, the other being Murray. He's got pace and, whenever I've seen him anyway, can play on the wing, although that might not be his favoured position.

WeeRussell
09-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Not for me (assuming we hold on to what we have!). Honest player who will put a shift in but not someone I'd personally be overly excited about. Not particularly highly rated amongst Arabs either as far as I am aware.

No complaints if he does end up with us though, and hopefully gives us more than I have made out he will :agree:

CapitalGreen
09-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Do we really need another small forward who doesn't score?

scoopyboy
09-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Do we really need another small forward who doesn't score?

Name a small forward who is contracted to us for next season who doesn't score?

Geo_1875
09-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Why should we be looking to sign a player who helped get another team relegated?

scoopyboy
09-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Why should we be looking to sign a player who helped get another team relegated?

So if a team gets relegated it has no good players, is that what you are saying?

Smartie
09-05-2016, 11:41 AM

United were relegated because they couldn't defend for toffee. They weren't bad going forward though.

I'd be worried if we were buying their goalkeeper or defenders but as long as it's a forward then I'd be happy enough.

Geo_1875
09-05-2016, 12:31 PM
United were relegated because they couldn't defend for toffee. They weren't bad going forward though.

I'd be worried if we were buying their goalkeeper or defenders but as long as it's a forward then I'd be happy enough.

They were the worst team I've seen at Easter Road this season, forwards and defence.

CapitalGreen
09-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Name a small forward who is contracted to us for next season who doesn't score?

Martin Boyle, Danny Handling, Dan Carmichael and to a lesser extent James Keatings (10 goals in 38 games isn't great especially as 8 of those were in just 3 games).

scoopyboy
09-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Martin Boyle, Danny Handling, Dan Carmichael and to a lesser extent James Keatings (10 goals in 38 games isn't great especially as 8 of those were in just 3 games).

Boyle, Handling and Carmichael aren't strikers for me.

Keatings is a debateable one.

Geo_1875
09-05-2016, 12:43 PM

I think that's a decent return considering he's not a regular starter.

CapitalGreen
09-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Boyle, Handling and Carmichael aren't strikers for me.

Keatings is a debateable one.

Don't think I mentioned strikers in my post.

JimBHibees
09-05-2016, 12:44 PM

He hasnt played 38 games though has he?

CapitalGreen
09-05-2016, 12:46 PM
He hasnt played 38 games though has he?

22 starts, 16 sub appearances

JimBHibees
09-05-2016, 12:49 PM

10 in 22 starts is reasonable though not earth shattering. He has a finish in him though feel he flatters to deceive at times.

Smartie
09-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Keatings has looked a lot sharper in his last 3-4 appearances.

I don't think we've seen the best of him yet, even though he had a decent run with some important goals earlier on this season.

J-C
09-05-2016, 12:55 PM

2 wingers, one injured most of the season, Handling is a midfielder who's just back training a few weeks ago, so tell me how they were going to score more goals?

CapitalGreen
09-05-2016, 01:11 PM
2 wingers, one injured most of the season, Handling is a midfielder who's just back training a few weeks ago, so tell me how they were going to score more goals?

Sorry, I should have made it clear for the hard of thinking that I was only referring to their scoring ability when fit and available. As you highlight, it's hard to score a goal when you are not on the pitch. I'll rephrase.

When on the pitch, these players do not score many goals.

Carmichael - 15 in 184 for QOTS
Handling - 6 in 65 for Hibs

Geo_1875
09-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Sorry, I should have made it clear for the hard of thinking that I was only referring to their scoring ability when fit and available. As you highlight, it's hard to score a goal when you are not on the pitch. I'll rephrase.

Neither does Logan. I'd get shot of him.

scoopyboy
09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Don't think I mentioned strikers in my post.

Correct, you mentioned forwards.

A big difference between strikers and forwards is there?

If it makes it any easier for you I don't consider any of the three forwards.

eastcoasthibby
09-05-2016, 06:27 PM

Keatings goals to minutes played ratio is will be much better than Cummings ...!!! Agree though Keatings needs to be more consistent, but a decent option !

J-C
09-05-2016, 06:44 PM

Carmicheal is a winger/attacking mid, he's not there to score but to create chances for the strikers.

Danny I think started out as a striker but has played in a deeper role this past 3 years or so, again another attacking mid who creates for others.

Without having game time, you cannot judge anyone on what they did previously as you have no clue as to what they are capable of now. Bakhtaoui from Dunfermline is a perfect example, 0 goals in 1st season, then 2, 7 and finally 22 this season, 31 in 70 games, which shows he's progressed ever year. By your logic he would have been emptied after 2 seasons.

Nicho87
09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Just me that isnt fussed about ryan down

CapitalGreen
09-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Carmicheal is a winger/attacking mid, he's not there to score but to create chances for the strikers.

Danny I think started out as a striker but has played in a deeper role this past 3 years or so, again another attacking mid who creates for others.

Without having game time, you cannot judge anyone on what they did previously as you have no clue as to what they are capable of now. Bakhtaoui from Dunfermline is a perfect example, 0 goals in 1st season, then 2, 7 and finally 22 this season, 31 in 70 games, which shows he's progressed ever year. By your logic he would have been emptied after 2 seasons.

Thanks for explaining their positions to me. I'm still looking forward to seeing Carmichael in this number 10 role your so sure he plays

I don't believe our attacking support players offer enough goals-wise and I don't believe adding Ryan Dow to the squad will improve that. Some people may think we are strong enough in that regard but I don't and our goals-for column also reflects that.

jamieross
09-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Just me that isnt fussed about ryan down

Nope, I've never seen him as a player that I've thought I'd love to have here. In saying that, should we sign him, I'd support him 100%.

J-C
10-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Thanks for explaining their positions to me. I'm still looking forward to seeing Carmichael in this number 10 role your so sure he plays

I don't believe our attacking support players offer enough goals-wise and I don't believe adding Ryan Dow to the squad will improve that. Some people may think we are strong enough in that regard but I don't and our goals-for column also reflects that.

Listen I agree that our support players don't chip in with more goals but our strikers apart from Cummings have not done enough either. Malonga before he left had a very poor season goal wise and Stokes hasn't been the prolific scorer many were saying he would be in this division. Keatings scores goals but is inconsistent, Farid injured and Dagnall runs about a lot. I honestly think the set up contributes to our lack of goals, we play far too slowly, midfield is narrow and we rely on two wingbacks who really aren't wingbacks to supply width and balls into the box.

We have almost zero flair behind the strikers creating things, for me McGeouch would be better suited to play the 10 role but he sits deeper due to his footballing brain, which starts things off, similar to what Allan did last season.

JimBHibees
10-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Listen I agree that our support players don't chip in with more goals but our strikers apart from Cummings have not done enough either. Malonga before he left had a very poor season goal wise and Stokes hasn't been the prolific scorer many were saying he would be in this division. Keatings scores goals but is inconsistent, Farid injured and Dagnall runs about a lot. I honestly think the set up contributes to our lack of goals, we play far too slowly, midfield is narrow and we rely on two wingbacks who really aren't wingbacks to supply width and balls into the box.

We have almost zero flair behind the strikers creating things, for me McGeouch would be better suited to play the 10 role but he sits deeper due to his footballing brain, which starts things off, similar to what Allan did last season.

Henderson has loads of flair.

Paloschi
10-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Watched him a few times and not really impressed tbh. Would he get a game in our current championship side? Probably not. Maybe if we had a couple of injuries. I would not push the boat out for him.

J-C
10-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Henderson has loads of flair.

That's why I said almost zero, Henderson doesn't always play just behind the strikers, I'd like him played further forward than he sometimes does, 5 goals in 39 could be a lot better but he seems our only option in the 10 role.

Smartie
10-05-2016, 09:30 AM
I don't think we lack flair but we lack a desire from midfielders to get into the box and score goals. This is very important when you have Cummings and Stokes dropping as deep as they do.

My mate supports West Ham and he always had a bit of a love/ hate thing going on with Kevin Nolan. Nolan had little flair and wasn't much of a footballer but he was a decent finisher and often found himself in the right place at the right time, especially when he played at the same time as Andy Carroll.

I reckon we're a Kevin Nolan figure short of being an excellent football team. We don't really need another midfielder who is tidy enough in possession, gets about the park but doesn't score many goals.

northstandhibby
10-05-2016, 10:02 AM
I think Ryan Dow would be a fantastic addition. He has all the attributes. Good ball-winner. Likes to go forward not sideways or backwards and has a good engine. Dundee Utd had some really good individual players. I was very surprised to see them go down.

GreenCastle
10-05-2016, 10:05 AM
I think we will Henri Anier back at Hibs - has a flat in Edinburgh - really enjoyed his time at Hibs also.

Geo_1875
10-05-2016, 10:16 AM
I think Ryan Dow would be a fantastic addition. He has all the attributes. Good ball-winner. Likes to go forward not sideways or backwards and has a good engine. Dundee Utd had some really good individual players. I was very surprised to see them go down.

John Rankin MK2

WeeRussell
10-05-2016, 11:19 AM
I think we will Henri Anier back at Hibs - has a flat in Edinburgh - really enjoyed his time at Hibs also.

While I'm not particularly excited at the prospect of signing Ryan Dow - I'd rather him than Arnier.